Published 9 months ago by June Kress

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing Extra-ordinary. Profuse Exaggeration.
The sole purpose of my review is to address the incorrect statements of many reviewers who claim that this CD is extra-ordinary.
Published on June 24 2003 by Emil Khekoyan

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific recording - let's have more records from this artist please., July 10 2013
This review is from: Pianist Music From The Motion (Audio CD)
I love everything about this CD. Each piece is played with great skill but, more importantly, with deep emotion and for me Chopin of all the great composers is the one who requires this. For me, Chopin expressed all his feelings in his music, so we feel his joy, sadness, frustration at injustice, longings, everything. It is his heart he gave us, and to hear someone translate all those feelings so expressively is deeply meaningful.. How fortunate we are to live in an age where we can enjoy experiences like this in our own surroundings instead of the way things were in Chopin's time. Thank you to everyone involved in making this recording available.
June K.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chopin and World War II, Jan. 7 2004
This review is from: Pianist Music From The Motion (Audio CD)
The film score to "The Pianist" has to be the best Chopin collection ever made for film and comprises one of the better film scores of recent years. The Chopin selections are all thoughtful and connect powerfully to images presented in the film. Pianist Janusz Oleiniczak is an extrovert Chopin performer captured in exemplary DDD sound. I think this is not only one of the better film scores for classical music, it is one of the better Chopin collections from recent years. The music is scrupulously selected to represent the emotions generated in the stark visual imagery -- from the melancholy Nocturne in C-sharp minor that represents the beginning of the end for thousands of Jews...to the powerful Ballade No. 1 played to a sympathetic German officer...to the Andante Spinato and Grande Poloniase Brilliant that triumphantly ends the flim over closing credits. "The Pianist" is a remarkable film that deserves its many plaudits and its score adds much to its reputation. The two are indispensable parts of an unforgettable artistic experince.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it regardless the movie or the book, Nov. 13 2003
This review is from: Pianist Music From The Motion (Audio CD)
I haven't watch the movie because I missed a chance. I did read the book after I listened to this CD. I love it regardless the movie or the book.
I love Nocturne in C-sharp Minor best. After I did read the book, this melody becomes more impressive, because it was the melody that Szpilman played for Captain Hosenfeld in ruined Warsaw.
I am surprised to know that it is Ballade No.1 in G Minor that Szpilman played for Hosenfeld in the movie. I won't say Ballade No.1 not good, but I wonder why the change.

4.0 out of 5 stars Evocative and reflective of a terrific film, Nov. 3 2003
T. L. Rylands (Atlanta, GA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pianist Music From The Motion (Audio CD)
As a long-time Chopin enthusiast, I agree with the other reviewer that commented on the fact that these piano pieces are not for wimps. They're difficult, technically complex works that demand a great deal from the pianist. In this instance, I think Wojciech Kilar does a skillful job of interpreting these emotional pieces.
Because Wladislaw Szpillman was a Pole (Chopin was half-Polish), it seems only fitting that Chopin's music was the backbone of the movie. Having grown up in Warsaw, Chopin left it in his early 20s for political reasons. Szpillman chose to stay in Warsaw, despite the growing threat of dangers caused by the Nazi regime of World War II.
Anyone who has seen the movie "The Pianist" can tell you that Szpillman's love of music was deeply entertwined with his passion to stay alive despite the odds. The film is not heavy on dialogue, largely because Szpillman is in isolation much of the time. The music speaks for him, sharing his loneliness, his longing, his memory of past joys and his love of country and family.
Kilar's interpretation of these works is emotional, passionate and heart-felt. He doesn't resort to a paint by numbers style of playing, hacking through the notes. He brings a skillful hand to their difficulty but also reflects the feelings inherent in the melodies and cadences. Every time I listen to it, I feel as if I am on an emotional journey of highs, lows and beautiful reverie.
And it is a journey I savor frequently.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, Oct. 29 2003
This review is from: Pianist Music From The Motion (Audio CD)
The Pianist is a hugely enjoyable CD, containing beautifully expressive Chopin pieces and a wonderful clarinet solo.
Janusz Olejniczak offers deeply felt renditions of Chopin's music, best among them the Nocturne in C-sharp minor, Ballade No.1 in G-minor, Op.23, Grande Polonaise, and the Nocturne in C-minor. The music rings of genuine thought and feeling--it is a joy listening to Olejniczak play.
As this is a soundtrack to the movie about the pianist Wladyslaw Szpilman, the CD fittingly includes a 1948 recording of Szpilman playing Chopin's Mazurka in A-minor, Op.17 No.4, a soft little gem that adds to the CD's already immeasurable value.
Wojciech Kilar's gentle and expressive composition, Moving to the Ghetto Oct.31 1940, is expertly played by Hanna Wolczeska. This is an excellent composition, because not only is it an intrinsically fine song, but it is also written for clarinet.
I highly recommend this CD.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sorry, but I'll have to disagree...., Aug. 5 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Pianist Music From The Motion (Audio CD)
... . 1) The music of Chopin was chosen for this movie not because he was Jewish but because Chopin was the main component of Szpilman's repertoire. 2) Chopin wasn't even Jewish by religion or heritage. His father was French and his mother was Polish. 3) This is not supposed to be a collection of Chopin music for the sake of Chopin's music. This is first and foremost a soundtrack, which is why your criticism of Janusz Olejniczak is not valid. He did exactly what he was supposed to do: play as if he were the character of Szpilman in the movie, within the setting, and most importantly, within his emotional state at the time. "Interpretation" is the word, and that was the aim.
My only criticism of the CD is that they could have used more variation in choosing the compositions of Chopin. I personally think that they didn't choose the best works of Chopin, but as I said, they were trying to score a movie, not showcase Chopin.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing Extra-ordinary. Profuse Exaggeration., June 24 2003
Emil Khekoyan "BACH" (L.A., CA, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pianist Music From The Motion (Audio CD)
I have listened to myriad of works by various composers and performers and would like to assure you that Janusz Olejniczak, the pianist for this CD, is in no way a great pianist. I was listening to one of Nocturnes of Chopin during the movie. When my faviorite part came, I thought that the pianist was playing with wooden fingers - while the quality of the created sound was ok, the tempo was absolutely unacceptable, making the entire segment sound not like Chopin, but a devastating disfigurement accomplished by the pianist who tried to 'interpret' the piece his own way.
For those of you who would like to hear the best pianists, just listen to several works by Richter, Gilels, or Rubinstein. After listening to their works, I am sure that you will find yourself ignorant to praise so much Olejniczak.
The claim that Chopin is the best composer is also a very ignorant statement. I'm afraid that the reason that the composer for this movie is Chopin is because his parents were Jews (who renounced Judaism making Chopin a Jew only by nationality, not religion). No argument, Chopin is a great composer, but that doesn't mean he is the greatest. Those of you who think so, go and listen to Bach's "Prelude in B Minor" performed by Gilels. Or 'Goldberg Variations' by Glenn Gould - they will deprive you of your classical virginity.
The main point is if you want to eat whatever you are fed, then it is ok to get this CD. However, if you prefer to discover the classical music in its full beauty, start with light classical performed by extra-ordinary pianists with no equals born.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning soundtrack from a stunning film, June 19 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Pianist Music From The Motion (Audio CD)
I went to see The Pianist knowing only that it a Roman Polanksi film about the Warsaw Ghetto. I left the theatre stunned by the power of this film, incredulous that it didn't win the Best Picture Oscar. The other "star" of the film, in addition to the amazing Adrian Brody, is the music of Chopin. I have long loved Chopin but this film really brought out in a new way all the melancholy, romance, nationalistic fervor for and love of Poland, and ultimately, spiritual uplift that make Chopin so great. This soundtrack has even more Chopin than
the movie and the pianist on all but one, Janusz Olejniczak, to my ear at least, does a marvelous job of interpretation. I also enjoyed the recording by Szpilman himself.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a Treasure!, June 10 2003
"vash01" (Phoenix, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pianist Music From The Motion (Audio CD)
I bought this CD after seeing the movie 'The Pianist' twice, and reading the book by Wladyslaw Szpilman once. I have listened to it at least 20 times by now and I am still not tired of it. I am not a musician, nor do I understand music, but I do enjoy great music, particularly classical music. I liked Chopin long before I saw this movie but now I am a big fan of Chopin. A lot of the credit goes to Roman Polanski who created a masterpiece, to Adrien Brody's superb acting, and the wonderful piano by Janusz Olejniczak. My most favorite piece is Ballade No.1 in G minor,op. 23 (#5 on the CD), which Szpilman's character in the movie plays for the German officer. I also love Nocturne in C sharp minor (#1 on the CD), which we hear at the beginning of the movie, and after the war is over. The Grande Polonaise at the very end (#9 on CD) fills me with great joy because to me it represents a happy ending, inspite of irrecoverable loss. I have listened to Chopin played by several other pianists, and I like Olejniczak's interpretation very much. The 'ghetto' piece by Kilar, though a bit out of place among the Chopin pieces, brings back memories of this wonderful movie. Without it, the CD would have been incomplete. My minor disappointment is that the cello piece played by the character Dorota, and the small portion of Moonlight Sonata, are not on this CD. I would have liked to see them included. Other than that, this is a wonderful CD and I am very happy with my purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars I don't know much about art, but I know what I like, June 5 2003
R. Kearns-White "rockiw" (BROOKLYN, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pianist Music From The Motion (Audio CD)
I don't know Chopin from Chopped Onion, but I decided to purchase the soundtrack from the movie "The Pianist." After seeing the film, and developing a recent appreciation for classicla music, I decided to be this CD. The music is moving, soothing, powerful, and soaring all at once. I would give it a 5 star rating, but my lack of knowledge of classical music prevents me from making solid judgements. I do know what I like, and I like this CD.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xacb8e9b4)

Pianist Music From The Motion
Pianist Music From The Motion by Wojciech Kilar (Audio CD - 2008)