Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage Personal Care Furniture All-New Kindle Paperwhite Music Deals Store Fall Tools

on July 15, 2004
We purchased Achieve Math and Science grades 1-3 for my two children, 5 and 6 years old. We purchased Reader Rabbit 1st grade at the same time. My children choose to use the Achieve software -- Reader Rabbit is almost untouched.
The activities progress in difficulty for each user from level A to level Z. Each user moves through the levels automatically. Level A is very easy with things like counting and sorting by color, identifying shapes. These beginning level activities were suitable for my 5 year old, and might be suitable for a 4 year old, but they were too easy for my 6 year old. However, just change the level manually, and the activities are challenging -- my 6 year old started with the intermediate activities and finds the activities challenging. Neither child wants to stop playing.
The activities are obviously educational. Fractions, sorting by multiple characteristics, adding, subtraction, etc. There is very little downtime like with most other kids software. It is just one activity after another. Rewards are not long winded. There is some variety within each type of activity to make it interesting.
So, I would disagree with many of the low reviews given by other reviewers. That said, I would not recommend this software if you're child is already in grade 3 -- most of the activities would be too easy.
on March 20, 2004
I completely agree with what everyone else has said. This was a total waste of money. The other reviewer was right when he said the extra software included (for us it was Star Flyers) was the ONLY good thing!
How can they market programs that were designed for 3-5 year olds for Grades 1-3? Its ludicrous!
DO NOT waste your money! The whole thing is unprofessional. There are no guides and even the paper inside the CD looks like it was BADLY photocopied.
Again, if I could give it ZERO stars I would!
on June 14, 2004
We have been proud owners of this package for two years and have used it diligently to supplement skills and concepts introduced throughout the year for first and second grade. It has been a WONDERFUL supplemental resource. Unlike a lot other educational software packages that claim to cover a wide range of ages, this one means it when they say "First through Third grade". It is simple to use: After a concept (example: 2 digit addition) has been introduced to the student, you specifically set up games to reinforce those particular skills. After those skills have been mastered you then go back in (with a simple click of the mouse and check-mark skills you want to reinforce from a large pre-set list) It is honestly very simple to do. Explaining the process actually takes far more time that it does to actually do it. Although the games are very "friendly", with engaging characters and settings, the software is not meant to "entertain" as much as it is to teach. I would not at all be surprised to find this package in a lot of school computer rooms for kids to reinforce their skills on. If you are looking for a true educational software package that would be appropriate for (no younger than)first through third grade, this would be perfect for you and your child.
on February 10, 2004
I just purchased this today, and it is extremely disappointing. I was looking for a software package that would help my 2nd grader learn his math facts, and this certainly isn't it, as far as I can tell. There is zero documentation included, so there is no way to steer your child towards games that would help his or her weak areas. I couldn't find a game that drilled them on anything, just a lot of pointless point and click activities.