biss Up to 40% Off CBC's Canada Reads 2016 Shortlist boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage vpcflyout Furniture All-New Kindle Paperwhite Own the 2016 GRAMMY Nominee Album featuring the Biggest Hits from Music's Biggest Night Exercice Tools ca_ty_gno

Color: ChromeStyle Name: Stand MixerChange

on April 5, 2011
I purchased this mixer almost two months ago, and it has already become one of the most well-used small appliances in our home (almost ahead of the toaster, even). I've baked more since I got the mixer than in the last 5 years combined, and it makes for a quick, easy process.

Just after I bought the mixer, I found a deal on attachments (the slicer/shredder, the fruit strainer, and the grinder) and have been having fun testing them out. First experiment: "ground the meat ourselves" Swedish meatballs that the whole family loved.

You can adapt any recipe for the mixer, but I bought myself "The Mixer Bible" - 300 recipes specifically designed to be made using a stand mixer - just to get an idea of how/what needs to be adapted and to have a collection of recipes that I know will work.

The only thing I've found awkward so far is the pouring shield...particularly when I'm trying to add dry ingredients to dough. The shield rests on the rim of the bowl but doesn't attach firmly, so it always slides and/or falls off, which results in me getting a "poof" of flour on everything in the area even when the mixer is going on the slowest setting. Maybe part of the problem is that I'm left-handed and the spout of the pouring shield is off to the right... Without the pouring shield, I still find it awkward to add the dry ingredients to the bowl without spilling them because there's not a lot of space to play with between beater and bowl, but having to clean up fallen flour is a small price to pay. And I'm hoping that with practice, I'll look just a suave as the pros on the cooking shows.

Plus the colour choices are terrific!!
on December 8, 2013
I've had my eye on this stand mixer to accompany my KitchenAid food processor and finally decided to invest in it with the impending holiday season and baked goods that go along with it. I eat gluten-free and so I'm also constantly baking my own bread - having a stand mixer with a dough hook is fantastic.

My Experience:
In using the dough hook, I found that all ingredients were thoroughly mixed, and that my KitchenAid had no problems incorporating all the ingredients. The coating on the dough hook and flat mixer allows your dough to essentially fall off when you raise the mixer head.

I next adapted my infamous biscotti recipe to a gluten-free recipe and went ahead and prepped it in my KitchenAid. I used the flat blade to cream some butter, sugar, eggs, and spices, and then switched over to the dough hook to start incorporating the dry ingredients. The batter for these biscotti is heavy and thick, and I was concerned about how well the stand mixer would hold up. Evidently, it had no problems whatsoever. The biscotti turned out fantastic.

Notable Pros:
- Attachments are easily mounted and dismounted from the mixer yet held in place by an extremely secure, simple mechanism that is easy to clean.
- There is a diversity of attachments available for these mixers
- Extremely powerful motor delivers when it comes to heavy and thick batters or doughs.
- Sturdy build quality and no-fuss operation. Everything is simple and intuitive.
- Stainless steel bowl, and coated attachments are dishwasher safe in my experience (the whisk is not, and will oxidize - however this is easily reversed if you have stainless-steel cookware cleaner).

Notable Cons:
- The dust-shield is made out of plastic and thus when you pour dry ingredients in, a distinct static charge builds up that causes your dry ingredients to stick to the shield rather than fall in to the mixing bowl. It also promotes the dry ingredients sticking to the mixer head rather than incorporating.
- The wire whisk is not dishwasher safe requiring (just a tiny-bit) more cleanup effort.

TL;DR: An amazing product from KitchenAid with diverse attachments, lots of power, and no-fuss operation.
on November 14, 2010
Great product. My only reservation is the size of the bowl [5 quarts]. It sounds bigger than it is in practice. KitchenAid makes a 7-quart mixer for $500.+ which I will get if this one ever wears out.
on January 22, 2013
I have always inspired to own a KitchenAid Stand Mixer, and now my dream came true. I decided after reviwing pricing all over the internet as well as local stores in my area that carry this product to buy one from Amazon.ca especailly for the value. Very speedy delivery; I would recommend using the super saver shipping to anyone. Shopping on Amazon.ca was very easy to use and payment process was quick and simple
on October 11, 2013
I love to bake...a normal baking blitz entails pie dough, cookie dough, bread dough...I bake in volume because I have 3 teenagers. I've waited years to purchase a KitchenAid Stand Mixer & purchased the Artisan.
First I made my pie dough - 5.5 cups of flour - should have been a breeze for this unit. However, the head was bobbing up and down & wiggling from side to side. Perhaps too ambitious? So I followed the KitchenAid recipe for bread - 6 cups flour. I thought the unit was going to die - it was pushing the limit and straining. Cookie dough next, only 4 cups of flour - still the Artisan was moaning with effort. The unit is very good for somebody baking single batches of baking...but for bigger, batches, I think I need to exchange the unit and upgrade to the KitchenAid 6000 Lift Stand Mixer.
I believe in the product.
on November 13, 2013
I have two Kitchenaid mixers - I seem to have messed up on this one, it's a lot less powerful than the other. I'd recommend that any purchaser check the power before purchasing. Not the fault of the mixer, which still works well (except for walking itself off the counter when kneading bread), just a warning that if you do a lot of heavy mixing I'd get one of the tougher versions.
on May 15, 2013
Overall a good investment. It is easy to clean, very quiet, and sits elegantly on our open concept kitchen counter. I suggest readers not buy the food slicer attachment. You should purchase the glass bowl as well and the special beater/scraper to give you more options when mixing two parts to a recipe.
on January 23, 2013
Great looking mixer and always wanted one but first thing I got educated on was what does 325 watts mean for power and it's not much if you do any heavy mixing like pie/bread dough it struggles to mix. It's a great mixer for light tasks,whipping cream/egg whites ect but if your a real foodie looking for a beefy mixer to mix wet heavy items without grinding and worrying if it can handle it or not move on up in wattage and spend a little more,wish I had.
on April 30, 2010
I have been wanting a KitchenAid Stand Mixer for a very long time. This machine is all it's hyped up to be. It's very durable and will last a lifetime and can be used for many things! You will not be disappointed if you invest in this mixer.
on March 4, 2012
I couldn't be more thrilled with my new Artisan stand mixer. It does a superb job of mixing and all that it is designed to do. It is quieter than I expected too. After much deliberation,I ordered the 'Bayleaf' colour and am delighted with it; it is a beautiful,rich, jewel-like tone. It looks very attractive tucked into its own corner on the kitchen counter, and is a nice contrast to all the other stainless appliances. It's important that it looks good, as the machine really is too solid and heavy to be taking it in and out of a cupboard. The Amazon price was better than I could find anywhere locally, the colour selection was more complete, and I was able to apply for the $50. rebate too.
I should add that I was amazed at how quickly it was delivered. I ordered it on a Wednesday evening, and although I didn't pay for Express shipping, it was on my doorstep Friday at noon. I live in Ottawa and understand the package came from the Toronto area - so if you live in this area, no need for extra shipping charges.
If you are young, or have a young family, and do a lot of baking, don't wait as long as I did to invest in one of these gems!

See 1 answered question