5.0 out of 5 stars Great game. Don't let the controls scare you.
This game ise a follow up of the first Silent Hill and it will answer MOST of the burning questions you have about the game. The story is great and features plenty of plot twists. As for the game itself... it's scary... play this in the dark if you're brave. You'll be making your way through som truely disturbing moments, things that you might only see in a nightmare of...
Published on June 19 2005 by Seth Gates

3.0 out of 5 stars Stray from original formula but good enough to be called SH
First of all let me say that I am more than 21 years old, so I am not someone who shouldn't be writing this review in the first place. The term "Mature" doesn't just imply not being easily scared, but also being able to understand certain concepts. The world is sometimes difficult to understand even for adults, in case children ever wonder about that. The...
Published on April 19 2004

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars SECOND TO NONE!!!!, Dec 31 2003
Valerio Quintanilla (Miami, Florida United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Silent Hill 3 - PlayStation 2 (Video Game)
I can't really enphasize how good the graphics in this game are...absolutely beautiful...that's the first thing you'll notice when you begin playing in that creepy amusement park, it gives you a feeling of coldness and you feel actually scared. Hats off to Konami for giving us the option to turn the noise effect on and off, this lets us see more of the WELL DONE details throughout the whole game when off, but if you want to feel like you're IN a horror movie (BLAIR WITCH PROJECT for example) then turn it on. I turn it off and on depending on the scenery I am at the moment...Now, don't get frustrated at the begining with the controls, you'll get used to them...trust me. I've only played this game for a couple of days and I am already in love with it, it's that good..in fact this game was the reason I got me a PS2 , too bad it's not out for XBOX, I believe the graphics would look even better (if that's possible). I was sick of the same old games where you're this hero and all you have to do is walk or run shooting and blowing things up...this is a game where you are this REGULAR person who has to figure things out, some may feel that this girl should be more skilled at fighting monsters back but that's exactly the point of this game you are a REGULAR peron...a lifelike game. MOMS: Definitely not for children (unless you're willing to wake up in the middle of the night to calm them down because of a nightmare). Instead this game is for individuals who like to think and figure stuff out and of course kick some monster's butt from time to time. So do not hesitate to buy, rent, steal or borrow this game, you won't be dissapointed....Turn the lights off, shut the door, crank up those speakers and play, play, play till your fingers are numb (quote by Roger Waters taken from "what do you want from me?").

5.0 out of 5 stars So real, you might die playing it! THE BEST GAME EVER!!!, Dec 21 2003
This review is from: Silent Hill 3 - PlayStation 2 (Video Game)
HOLY CRAP! Do I love this game!!! The storyline is great and the graphics and sound rock! Although I am giving this a 5 star rating, this is not for the person who has the characteristics of the following: FAINTS AT THE SIGHT OF BLOOD, SCREAMS WHEN THEY SEE BLOOD, HATES BLOOD, PUKES WHEN THEY SEE BLOOD! Oh, I forgot something. If you don't like it when BLOOD oozes out of someones body, I recomend you stay away from this game. But, if you are the person who loves getting scared, loves GORE, loves BLOOD on anything and everything, and loves shooting monsters until they BLEED to death, THIS IS THE GAME FOR YOU. Yes, BLOOD here! BLOOD there! Here's some BLOOD! There's some BLOOD! Everywhere some BLOOD BLOOD! BLOOD is the numero uno thing on this game. Even the loading screen is BLOOD! If you like gore and action and watching a hot teenager (that has BLOOD on her shirt) running around shooting and stabbing things, I recomend this game. This is the best game I've ever played! (Grand Theft Auto 3 is in a close 2nd! That game has a lot of BLOOD also!) I HIGHLY RECOMEND THIS GAME TO THE ACTION/HORROR AUDIENCE THAT HAS A Play Station 2! This game will scare the BLODDY crap out of you!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Silent Hill 3 rocks my socks., Dec 15 2003
Danielle (San Ramon, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Silent Hill 3 - PlayStation 2 (Video Game)
Hey! Here comes a review from a berserk, deranged, 14-year old girl.
I'd just like to say that Silent Hill 3 is one of the best things that's ever happened to me. It's disturbing, gory scenery and creatures lured me in after only a few minutes of game-play. This game is my addiction; and so is the main character. Not a lot of players love Heather as much as I do. You have to get used to her. She might even start to annoy you after her first few lines in the game. But you've got to envy her courage. You might even build up a lot of courage playing this yourself. I know I did- yet it may leave a lot of players paranoid, so you've got to make sure you can handle this kind of stuff. It's not rated Mature for nothing... This is your warning.
Religion plays a big part in this also. Heather must fight off the demonic creatures and solve what had happened in the past. The only way to stop the rebirth of the suffering world into Paradise...is to kill the one who will bring it...God. I know this fact is kind of sad. My mom had me stop playing when she found out about this.
I hope this helped a little bit. I've never really reviewed any other games before. I just wanted to put a few precautions out there before people play this game.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not for the weak at heart....., Nov. 30 2003
This review is from: Silent Hill 3 - PlayStation 2 (Video Game)
Ok. I just wanna start by saying I am a die hard resident evil fan and have played and beat every resident evil game ever made.But since palying this game I've decided to start a new series.Thats one half the reason I decided to check this game out.the other is cause I saw the commercial for it and it looked cool.So I went to the rental store and rented it.The only thing that had me worried was that I hadn't played the first or second silent hill, and was starting on the third.I want to say that this game surpasses every resident evil game out there.This is the only game ive ever played that made me jump and made me feel sick.I always thought that video games had certain limits to them, but I was scared to death when I saw how gorey this game is and how much I realized why this is rated mature.I don't know whats freakier,the monsters or the people you meet.Just about every person you meet is a crazed,pshycotic,maniac.I am now proud to say I own this game and if your looking for a 5 star game this is for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent game but a flawed development in the series., Nov. 19 2003
OverTheMoon (overthemoonreview@hotmail.com) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Silent Hill 3 - PlayStation 2 (Video Game)
First of all Silent Hill 3 boasts probably the best SOUND and GRAPHICS for any PS2 game. Those of you that have surround sound will be shaken to the core of your soul in this survival horror amusement. The cut scenes are hyper-realistic and the Silent Hill 3 maps and worlds are well above standard for a game of its type.
I am now on my third round playing this game and so I have enough experience with it to be able to conduct a realistic review. The first thing you should know is that you do not have to play part 1 or 2 in order to enjoy this sequel but it would help if you did. Fans of this series will note that the game is largely a follow up to the 1st game, revisiting many of the places that where in the original.
The premise in this game is that you play a teenager, Heather, who must discover her past in order to reveal her true identity and save the world from an apocalypse. Sadly this is one of reasons why the game looses a star. It will not please fans of the series to discover that the plot is vastly different from the other two as it is no longer psychologically creepy and instead aims for more scares and blood and guts as Heather tries to prevent the day of reckoning. Although the game gets top marks for the horror and scares it is certainly devoid of the psychological impact that the other two games in the series had. The plot is also marred by an incoherent storyline that really does not make you care that much for the main character or the pending doom that the game is laying down. There are other reasons why this great game looses a star. There are not enough variations in the monsters which can be broken down into two-header zombie dogs, giant walking pillow cases, fat blobs, hammer head type creatures of large and small sizes, three types of stabbing insects, deranged nurses and floor crawlers that look like crocodiles. There needs to be more deviation in the monsters! Many of them are just repeated in size, however their locations are perfectly timed in the game. The other downside is that the game is vastly shorter than Silent Hill 2, being only on one DVD and can be completed in less than 6 hours on the first try (however you will spend a few days at it.) On my second attempt I complete the game in 2 hours. I believe the game can be completed in about 1 hour if you drive at it. The other downside is that the game takes places in two different locations (1) A shopping mall (2) Silent Hill. There was certainly hardly any Silent Hill and only two place to visit in that area! - The Hospital and the Amusement park. The final location takes place in an old church. It is also too linear - the game really only has one direction that is controlled by locked doors and items that you must gather in order to proceed to the next level. Overall the game does not feel like part of the Silent Hill series. I hope that the premise for the next one is located only in Silent Hill with more areas to visit, more monsters to kill and a similar psychological premise like the 2nd one in the series. There also needs to be more outdoor daytime scenes like Silent Hill 2. Too much of this game is fogged or takes place in the dark. The weapons and puzzles in this game are adequate although many of the cooler ones must be unlocked after you play the game at least once.
The upside is that the game, as a stand alone survival horror, delivers in aces. There is lots of action, blood and scares. The locations are unbelievable and the game IS frightening. Some of the rooms will have your jaw dropping to the ground and your eyes popping out of your head. The sound effects are soooo creepy and the shocks do come thick and fast. It is certainly one the best games you can own for the PS2 and is streaks and bounds ahead of most other survival horror games.
Overall it is an excellent game that should have been produced under a different title without the Silent Hill locations. I feel that the second game is still the definitive of the three although the graphics and the sound are not nearly as good. A thumb up for Silent Hill 3 though but both thumbs up for Silent Hill 2.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great game....but..., Nov. 6 2003
This review is from: Silent Hill 3 - PlayStation 2 (Video Game)
I found Silent Hill 3 totally engrossing and amazing! I've never played the other two but I have to say this one sets the standard for me in horror games. Production is what really makes it stand out from the rest. Totally amazing graphics really show off the power of the PS2. The locations are straight out of a Nightmare on Elmstreet movie. Although the game production is great, I have to say the game play itself was a little bit of a letdown. I found it too linear. I would have liked more of a Tomb Raider experience where you could go off and descover things on your own. The voice acting too was a bit disappointing. Especially Heather. Her actions dont seem to really fit in with the rest of the game. The casualness she shows when confronted with frightening situations takes away from the reality of it. I know if I were trapped in an abandoned hospital with possessed axe wielding nurses after me I'd be scared out of my pants and show it!! All in all Silent Hill 3 is a great game, especially if your into horror movies.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Value In Terror, Nov. 5 2003
Keith Doyle (Panama City, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Silent Hill 3 - PlayStation 2 (Video Game)
The Silent Hill series has always stood toe-to-toe with the Resident Evil series. Both do a good job of entertaining players with realistic environments, monstrous adversaries and compelling storylines. But Silent Hill takes the creepiness factor to a much higher level. Unless you're an incredibly desensitized individual Silent Hill 3 will certainly freak you out.
SH3's storyline has strong ties to the first game; a fact which should thrill fans of the series. The plot starts out a little sparse but fleshes out toward the end. Compared to Silent Hill 2's story SH3's is easily understood. But remember, this is the world of Silent Hill...expect to devote some brain power to comprehend everything.
Sound effects and ambiance are where the Silent Hill series shine and this installment is the best yet. The audio does exactly what it needs to do with eerie effectiveness. You'll hear things in the distance, unearthly noises will appear unexpectedly, and the sound of inhuman creatures (whether they're killing or being killed) is...gruesome.
The only thing I would have preferred, and this might sound strange, is more horror. With all the sights and sounds encountered throughout SH3 there are precious few occurrences where something actually appears to justify the tension! I think the developers missed a lot of opportunities to maximize the game's potential and really frighten the wits out of players. The first two Silent Hills had the same problem so I doubt Konami will improve this factor in future installments. Oh well, I suppose perfection is too much to ask for.
There are many reasons to play through Silent Hill 3 multiple times, such as unlocking more selectable options, equipping alternate outfits for the main character Heather, using fantastic new weapons, and viewing different endings.
The game's entire soundtrack is included on a nifty bonus CD totally free! Some of the music on the disk is really good, adding value to an already worthwhile package.

5.0 out of 5 stars Survival Horror at its best, Oct. 30 2003
This review is from: Silent Hill 3 - PlayStation 2 (Video Game)
OK here's what you do to get the best out of this game; buy it and take it home, start playing at about eleven at night, when there's no-one else around, and turn off all the lights. Now it takes an hour or two to get into the game, but somewhere between the subway and the hospital you should start feeling that classic silent hill experience, edge of your seat stuff, trying to open doors and praying they're locked cos you don't want to know what could be on the other side, and a disturbing sense of wrongness about everything in the world of the game. The effects are subtle but accumulative, and just like Heather you will be drawn into the otherworld, and trust me, those lights will be turned back on pretty rapid! The plot, visuals, and hidden secrets are all excellent, and the action is ok, pretty standard for a survival horror game. I could go on praising SH3 for a long time, but the main point is that this is a genuinely scary game, and those are hard to find.
Oh and if you're having trouble with the view, one of the L2 or R2 buttons centres the camera behind Heather.
Roll on silent hill 4!

5.0 out of 5 stars Silent Hill 3, everything you never wanted to see., Oct. 26 2003
This review is from: Silent Hill 3 - PlayStation 2 (Video Game)
If you want a scary game, grab this one! It may not be very long, but it is a lot of funn and it'll scare you more than any movie or other game will. You'll find yourself with a brand new respect for satic and the dark. For the full effect though, you have to play this alone, with no lights on at night and the volume up to a level where you can hear your own footsteps. You'll never sleep again.
But anyways, the graphics are great in this game. It's supposed to look granny, its a part of the ffect. If it realy bothers you (and yes, thats why it's their) then you can always turn it off in options. Sometimes things will look frighteningly real, especially the shadows. The control is good, u can switch it up between 2d and 3d control, so theirs soemthing for everyone. The game is practically without fault (except for its a little short). It even comes complete with three different endings! So if you didn't like the one you got, you can get another one!
So if your looking for something that'll keep your heart rate up and scare you for more than the tiem your playing it, this is for you! If your a survival or horror fan, then you BETTER have this. Resident Evil doesn't have anything on Silent Hill. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do and remeber, what you'll see isn't half as scary as what you don't....

4.0 out of 5 stars '' A DECENT FOLLOW UP '' ! !, Oct. 14 2003
R. JANKOWSKI "HORROR FAN" (YONKERS, NEW YORK United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Silent Hill 3 - PlayStation 2 (Video Game)
SINCE I AM A HUGE FAN OF HORROR GAMES , I WAS VERY ANXIOUS TO PLAY '' SILENT HILL 3 '' !! IT TELLS THE STORY OF A GIRL NAMED HEATHER , WHO HAPPENS TO BE HARRY MASON'S DAUGHTER .AND HARRY IF YOU REMEMBER- WAS THE MAIN CHARACTER IN THE FIRST '' SILENT HILL '' WHO WAS SEARCING FOR HIS DAUGHTER CHERYL.. HEATHER IS ACTUALLY ALESSA, REBORN AFTER THE DEMON WAS DESTROYED IN THE END OF THE FIRST GAME.AND SHE IS THROWN INTO THE EERIE AND DEADLY WORLD WHICH IS SILENT HILL. WHILE SHE DOES GET COOL WEAPONS , AS WELL AS NEW MORE FIERCE ENEMIES, IT JUST DOESN'T HAVE AS MANY OF THE SCARES THAT THE FIRST TWO HAD..BUT DON'T GET ME WRONG , IT IS STILL A REALLY COOL GAME .THE STORY IS REALLY QUITE INTERESTING , AND THEY MANAGE TO BLEND THE STORY IN TO THE PREVIOUS TWO GAMES.SO IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A NEW CREEPY , EERIE, AND BIZARRE , AND AT TIMES SCARY ENOUGH TO MAKE YOU TURN ON ALL THE LIGHTS ,THEN GET IT TODAY ! IT TOTALLY REINVENTS THE HORROR GAME FRANCHISE ... AS WELL AS TAKES IT TO A NEW LEVEL ..SO GET IT TODAY AND HAVE FUN ...

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

Silent Hill 3 - PlayStation 2
Silent Hill 3 - PlayStation 2 by KONAMI AMERICA INC. (PlayStation2)
Used & New from: CDN$ 24.95