5.0 out of 5 stars This was better than the original campaign
After completing the official campaign from NWN (hereafter, OC), I was left wanting something more. I was disappointed with the OC in that it was a little too easy -- there were too many opportunities to run back to the temple and stock up, even in the middle of combat situation. As a result, the OC was very unbalanced, although the storyline was good.
Shadows of...
Published on Aug. 25 2003 by Matthew K. Morgan

3.0 out of 5 stars Neverwinter Nights: Shadows of Underntide
Published on March 29 2004 by kniteflux

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good expansion, July 12 2004
Wood "Billburg" (Brooklyn, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Neverwinter Nights: Shadow Of Undrentide Expansion Pack (CD-ROM)
A very nice second campaign if you already finished the main campaign and want to take you character up a few more levels, buff up on eq and even change your character by the new prestige classes. (Or even head over to bioware and download some ultra buffed pre made characters.) Very similar to the NWN. Three chapters in different worlds with unique creatures. The eq in this sequel was very impressive and may even tilt the game, but it is for high level characters.

3.0 out of 5 stars Neverwinter Nights: Shadows of Underntide, March 29 2004
"kniteflux" (Maple Grove, MN United States) - See all my reviews
Neverwinter Nights: Shadows of Undrentide adds a little of everything. There is the addition of Prestige Classes that allow your character to specialize in more unique areas. Again, there are new feats that allow a character to more in a very specific or very general direction. Additionally, new skills and spells were added as well (although the skills were focuses primarily on rogues and many will argue that mage classes are still "inferior" to other classes).
Shadows of Undrentide also adds a new set of official modules with the expansion. The plotline is interesting and the game makes use of new tile sets, but ultimately it is quite short and not as challenging as would be expected after finishing the official quest that came with the original Neverwinter Nights.
Shadows of Underntide has maintained the playability of the game while adding the new content. Whether you play single or multiplayer, the new modules and rule set integrates nicely into the game.
If I were to say that Shadows of Underntide has one problem, it would be that it did not add as much content relative to the price of the expansion and that of the original game (or the next expansion in the series). Because all the material that was added was so specific for a single play style, many players will most likely never experience even all the Shadows has to offer.
For players that desire to play the latest play/fan-base mods or just really have enjoyed NWN, Shadows of Underntide is an average expansion for a great game.

2.0 out of 5 stars Does not really feel like an Add on..., Jan. 5 2004
I got this game as part of Neverwinter Gold. I have heard nothing bad about Neverwinter and with a second expansion coming out I bought Neverwinter Gold since it was the same price as Neverwinter. I finished Neverwinter Night last weekend. It was a great game. I love every part of it. It is the best representation of D&D in a computer game since the early days.
But....Shadow of Undrentide is seriously lacking. First, you start out being "trained" as an adventurer. My character was twenty second level by the time I start this add on so I would hardly say that a player of that level would be in that situation. It seemed like the creators wanted this to be a separate game using the same game engine, but decided on an add on instead. This can be the only reason for the next flaw, which is they dump the hench men from the original for a new set which are seriously lacking the depth of the original ones. I only raise this issue b/c Bioware brings back the original Henchmen for the next add on; Hordes of the Underdark. So why else would they make this change in the middle?
So in short, this is a fair enough game if you buy the Neverwinter Gold edition, but do not waste you money on buying it on its on. It is simply not worth the money. I gave it two stars since this add on has my favourite prestige class, the Blackguard. Buy it from the bargain bin.

3.0 out of 5 stars Better but not great, Jan. 4 2004
By A Customer
This expansion pack fixes a lot of things, but this game is still not on par with Baldur's Gate II. The game is still too linear, and you still have henchmen you can't give anything to (other than a potion which they will drink on the spot). I found this expansion pack was worth about 5 days of game play before I got bored and stopped playing it. Better that the orginal which didn't last 2 hours.
It's hard to believe the people who made BG and BGII, some of the best selling games ever, didn't build on what those games great: party role-playing. What we want is Baldur's Gate with better graphics. That's it. The game mechanics were almost perfect, the multi-threaded stories where fun, and the party building was great.
So no NWN SoU is not an equal to BGII, but with this expansion pack, it's worth a few days of your life.

4.0 out of 5 stars NWN: SoU, Dec 8 2003
Tom Cusick (McElhattan, PA USA) - See all my reviews
I was really happy with the expansion to the Great NWN game.
Play is fun and the addition of new classes and monsters is awesome. I can't wait for the next one to be delivered to me

3.0 out of 5 stars A disappointment in relation to the original, Nov. 24 2003
John Gromadzki (Denton, TX) - See all my reviews
I found this expansion to be disappointing.
I first tried the expansion with the character I finished the original with. I practically sleptwalked through the entire expansion. My paladin, approx lvl 20, and zero trouble going through it.
Next, I tried it with a brand new character. First I tried a monk, and it was just too hard. Next, I tried another paladin, and it was still extremely difficult to get through it.
So, for someone that was looking to move forward with a character that finished the orignal, I can't imagine this expansion will offer you ANY challenge. I think I finished the expansion in a few days. And if you want to start a new character, be prepared to really work your bottom off.
Here's hoping the next expansion is better suited to either roll.

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining but dissapointing, Nov. 12 2003
Mavrik02 (New Kensington, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This expansion pack has the same quality gameplay at the original Neverwinter Nights. The graphics are good and the game is well done. However...I was generally dissapointed with the game. I used my same character that I developed in the original game which made 95% of the game a cake walk. There was virtually no challenge until the very end. Also I maxed out my character well before the end of the original game and was unable to advance him further in this expansion pack (I did not like this). At the end of the expansion pack I was still using all of my kit from the original game...meaning I ran across nothing of value greater than I was already carrying. So...the game was moderately fun but did not allow me to build on my character and for me that is where the fun is.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better story, better puzzles, better characters, Oct. 24 2003
Gene Koo (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
The Neverwinter Nights (NWN) game engine represents what I hope to be a new era in computer gaming: platforms that invite users/players to create their own games with near-complete access to the game engine.
Sadly, while the NWN platform itself was a major breakthrough, the included gameplay was routine, uninspired, and sometimes even silly. Shadows of Undrentide (SoA) shows that the Bioware crew can not only create a great technical product, but also deliver a solid story.
Unlike the original NWN storyline, SoA has a coherent plot that, while short of "compelling," kept me interested. The fact that it was written for single-player mode meant the storytellers could focus on developing non-player characters rather than try to have the story work with lots of different players (not an easy task!). While many have complained about the lack of multi-player support, personally I've been unable to commit to that kind of gameplay anyway, and the few experience I've had were disappointing.
The fact that NWN is both a generalized toolset and a game means a lot of tradeoffs: one is that the graphics and environments become pretty uninspiring after a while because they re-use the same assets over and over again. To me, this is almost a blessing, as it forces story developers to focus more on the story rather than dazzle players with graphics.
Toolset enhancements and expanded assets (monsters, spells, etc.) make this expansion essential for those of us creating content.
Although not approaching the peaks of the Infinity Engine series of games, the NWN platform still has a lot of room for growth, whatever the power-gamers who want shiny graphics instead of good stories might say.

3.0 out of 5 stars Its a hard 3 stars, Sept. 15 2003
By A Customer
ok i bought this game for the single player game and the box says 20 hours of new single player adventures well i beat the gamae in under 10 hours and i am very thorough to so there is no way its 20 hours of game play. The original was a far better plot as well. Not that it wasn't good but it was way to short. In the future i would say a long harder single player game or i will stop buying the neverwinter nights games.

2.0 out of 5 stars games is too buggy, Sept. 9 2003
this game, and the original, needed to be tested more before release. there's people everywhere, including me, having fits trying to play this game. there's no support from bioware. all software problems are blamed on the user and the publisher of the game, things are never the software creator's fault. though the game is fun, it crashes so often its fun-factor drops dramatically. patches are nigh non-existent as bioware is too busy creating expansions to de-bug the existing code. ka-ching?
if you want to buy a beta-game which may or may not work on your system, this is the game for you.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Neverwinter Nights: Shadow Of Undrentide Expansion Pack
Neverwinter Nights: Shadow Of Undrentide Expansion Pack by Atari (ATBB9) (Windows 98 / Me / XP)
CDN$ 49.99 CDN$ 7.95