5.0 out of 5 stars There is no glitch...
In most videogame magazines, Enter the Matrix (ETM) received mediocre scores, most of them in the 50%-60% range. The reason for these scores, the writers attest, is that the game is "glitchy, filled with bugs, unpolished, and just feels unfinished." It is because I so strongly object to these reviews that I decided to write one of my own.
Let me start this review...
Published on Feb. 27 2004

I loved the first Matrix movie. This game is much like the 2nd and 3rd movies were to me; it would've been better if it didn't have the Matrix name attached. There's just so much to live up too.

Published on Feb. 2 2008 by S. Bouley

3.0 out of 5 stars If your a die-hard Matrix fan, you'll probably want to expand the story with this game., Feb. 2 2008
S. Bouley "Derelict" (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Enter the Matrix - PlayStation 2 (Video Game)

The story of the game takes place before and during the Matrix: ReLoaded. You play as Ghost or Naiobi. You don't get to play as any of the main characters, and you don't switch back and forth throughout the game. Instead you pick which character you'd like to be at the beginning, and take their story through the whole game. The story helps add to the story of the movies in an attempt to add more depth to both the plot, and the characters.

The combat is sufficient, complete with martial arts, guns, and bullet time. None of which really evolve a lot as you go alone.

There's a few driving levels in the game to help mix things up a little bit as well.

The graphics are also, sufficient, but very dark. If I don't want to have to crank up the brightness, I have to wait until night and turn off every light, or else I'll have trouble seeing what's going on.

Overall, there's nothing really terrible about the game, but I also wasn't blown away with it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fans of Matrix should rent, otherwise pass. ¡Get Animatrix!, March 3 2004
tree killer "cjipper" (Sonoma County, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Enter the Matrix - PlayStation 2 (Video Game)
As I'm already a fan of The Matrix, I had to play this game. I rented it to see if I liked it enough to purchase. I enjoyed playing the game, despite sub-par graphics and cheesy story-line. The animations are actually horrible, especially hands and arms. I had just decided that I would plop down the $30 to get it when the game was over, however. I was very disappointed :( . . . After playing to the conclusion (hard mode), I decided to try the hacking. The game-play becomes boring and formulaic, without challenge. The hacking itself was simplistic and tedious. I have to admit, however, that the sword was pretty darn cool!
Overall, I would say if you are a fan of The Matrix then you should rent this game just for the tidbits that tie it in to the movies. Don't buy it, though. Your money would be much better spent on a copy of Animatrix. It actually lives up to the hype that this game recieves, where the game falls flat on its face.
If you are looking for fun Matrix storyline, Animatrix is the way to go. If you are looking for engaging gameplay, look somewhere else. Jak II or Rachet & Clank: Going Commando are light years beyond this game, and Max Payne actually pulls off some of the things this game fails to deliver on...
Don't buy this game, rent it if you must play, but save your money for something that is actually worth it

tree killer "cjipper" (Sonoma County, CA United States) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars There is no glitch..., Feb. 27 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Enter the Matrix - PlayStation 2 (Video Game)
Let me start this review by saying that I am twelve years old, so many would say that I don't even have the authority to argue with professional game critics. If you are in this mindset, just stop reading.
I've seen the entire Matrix trilogy (despite my age, my parents feel that no negative influences could seep into me from this trilogy. They're quite down-to-earth.), and this game's action sequences are right up there with the best in-matrix scenes from any of the movies. This means as good as the government lobby shootout (which is parodied in the game, by the way), the burly brawl, Neo's fight with Seraph... hell, everything!
I'm skirting controversy and assassination attempts here, but I say with conviction that the bullet-time mode in Enter the Matrix is better than the bullet-time mode in Max Payne 2. Why? Because, intrigued reader, in ETM you can easily see, and therefor dodge, bullets. You can dive and cartwheel all over the place, laying down ridiculous amounts of Teflon-coated death. The only dissapointment is that agents cannot perform similar stunts, but I understand that this would be hard to put in the game.
As a third degree brown belt in karate and with knowledge of several kung-fu katas, I can safely say that this game's martial arts engine is realistic, good looking, and actually quite fun. Which is good, because it makes the boss fights icredible to watch.
As for the gunplay, your character automatically locks on, leaving you free to select your weapon and rip off some rounds while running on walls, diving backward and shooting between your legs, and many other awesome, inspired moves.
The weapons are as follows:
Pistols: 9000S, 92FS, .380 MUSTANG, 1911 .45CAL, P229 S, .50AE.
Machine Pistols: MAC-11, 18C AUTOMATIC PISTOL, MP5X (XBOX only).
Shotguns: 590 ENTRY SHOTGUN, STREET SWEEPER SHOTGUN.
Submachine Guns: UMP, MP5-N.
Machine Guns: RO635, M16 COMMANDO, G36, SG-552 COMMANDO.
Sniper Rifles: 33SG/1 SNIPER RIFLE, M95 SNIPER RIFLE.
There are also three special weapons and one incredibly sweet secret weapon for Niobe.
I have beaten the game at least once on every difficulty level, and I have only experienced two glitches: one, I got stuck in an escalator, and two, I pressed fire and lost ammo, but no bullet came out of the gun.
So in conclusion, I believe that Enter the Matrix is a game worthy of your money, and if you're a Matrix fan, then you'll appreciate it even more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Merging Media., Feb. 5 2004
tvtv3 "tvtv3" (St. Louis Metro East Area) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Enter the Matrix - PlayStation 2 (Video Game)
ENTER THE MATRIX is an interesting game. Probably over half of the games of the past were movie tie-ins. However, I don't recall a game being so tied to a film series as ENTER THE MATRIX. While playing the game, you basically are allowed to take a part in the movies. The game fills in many plot holes left between MATRIX: RELOADED and MATRIX: REVOLUTIONS. Plus, once you beat the game it has one of the best previews for MATRIX: REVOLUTIONS that were available.
I enjoyed playing this game and had a lot of fun. I defeated the Ghost course over in a little over four hours and the Niobe course in about five. I think the Ghost sequence is a bit more difficult, but I played the Niobe level first and it took me time to get used to the control of the game.
My favorite part of the game is after you beat the game, you are able to enter into a two person combat mode. In this mode you are able to choose several different characters to fight with someone else. My brother and I have a blast playing these levels. One of our favorites is the police car versus the fire car. Seeing the two cars fight for the first time is absolutely hilarious.
The game is pretty easy to play, but also a lot of fun. Many hard core gamers do not like it because they find it too easy, but it's a great game for a novice or average gamer. Also recommended for Matrix fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Analyzing this game using Matrix's perspective, Jan. 26 2004
J. Wong "PFJ" (Boulder, CO) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Enter the Matrix - PlayStation 2 (Video Game)
This game is created at the same time as Reloaded and Revolutions and written as the 1.51~2.99 of the trilogy(1.5 = animatrix). What's special about this movie-game is this: all other movie-games are purely a re-implementation of the movie's story into a game. People watched the movie and know about what scene follows and who they will meet at certain point. Unlike them, "Enter" is a supplementary to the movies, same as Animatrix, is part of the story that is not told through the big screens or DVD or VCD or VHS(The Matrix).
There are many references back and forth to Animatrix, Reloaded and Revolutions. Some people watching Revolutions will ask: how come the Logos are suddenly there, down, and sentinels everywhere, it just pops out!! I will answer: no, it doesn't, it is explained in the last level of Enter the Matrix. Also, somebody will say that Niobe suddenly turned to Morpheus in Reloaded is illogical. But same as above, the explanation and development is here in Enter the Matrix: she is inspired by Persephone.
The most awesome feature of this game is not the CG or the many movie footage, but the actions. They are created by capturing the corresponding character's movement. For example, Seraph, you can easily notice that the fighting style here is exactly the same in Reloaded. Other than fightings, there are other stuffs like facial expression and even walking, are captured motions of the real character. The voice are also done by original characters.
People said that the characters in Matrix are too woody and lack of personality. By playing this game, you can find out many personlities of Niobe, Ghost, Sparky(I love this nick name), and some other characters.
Like the movies, there are biblical references. In one of the movie footage, Smith has refered indirectly to a verse in revelations. Not the same meaning but obviously the wordings are the same.
In the freeway scene, I was impressed that they even put the exploded Twin's car on the crossover. There are also many other details done to improve consistancy with the movies.
There's a hacking mode, which allows you to explore the Matrix as a hacker, which everyone in the movie started off as. This function allows you to make the best use of the properties of the Matrix, such as dropping weapons into the Matrix, learning new fight mode, etc.
*After completing all levels, there's an original trailer of Matrix Revolutions, which I think is the best trailer among the many versions of trailers and teasers.

4.0 out of 5 stars just another movie-game, Dec 30 2003
This review is from: Enter the Matrix - PlayStation 2 (Video Game)
Ah, the Matrix. One of those series that'll go down in history. This game, won't be going with it however. This game falls under that laughable category of "Movie Game" that us gamers generally, well, laugh at.
The makers do get some credit for enlisting the Wachowski Bros. and some of the actors from the series. But that's where the praising ends.
The game itself is buggy, the graphics are nothing to be amazed at, and the combat system...that's an insult unto itself.
If it weren't for this game having tie-ins to the movie or having anything to do with the Matrix at all, it never would have sold as much as it did.
This game is on most Best Game of the Year lists, but only as nominees. And those lists are made up by people who don't understand what a good game is. They just see how much it selss and figure "hmm Makes alot of money = good game!"
If you're a Matrix nut, give it a try. But for the rest of us Action gamers, there's better games out there.

2.0 out of 5 stars Just another movie tie-in, Dec 22 2003
Matthew T. Shelley "sanctuary_thirteen" (Spokane, WA, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Enter the Matrix - PlayStation 2 (Video Game)
I am honestly a Matrix fan. specifically the first film, but the other two are a lot of fun nonetheless. This game was brilliant in its position as part of the storyline, showing events taking place aside from the the film. Even getting actual actors to reprise their roles was a stroke of genius.
however that trait alone gave this game the two stars i have awarded it.
First of all, its a third person action game, similar to tomb raider/max payne/etc. While this type has been well overdone, i feel it has a lot of life left in it. This however adds nothing new whatsoever to the game genre. nothing new or breakthrough takes place in the gameplay. the "focus" at first seems neat, butil you realize its been done before (and much much better) in max payne. you hold L1, everything slows down, you see bullet trails (not that you can dodge them) and some of your moves are cooler now (wall walking, flips, etc) but aside from that, unless youve got a third hand or a helpful friend, you wont actually be able to use it to dodge in any respect.
A film that broke new grounds for american kung fu cinema, this game's fighting style is ridiculous. in the films you have punches, kicks, aerial assaults, all kinds of super cool wire stunts... in Enter the Matrix, youve got one punch, one kick, and one throw. since the focus is on firepower, this couldve been ok, however the moves are so preplanned that once you hit a button, youll go into a crazy combination of moves that usually makes you pass right by your enemy and do a great move on some empty air, leaving your back wide open for a random post office security guard to smack you in the back of the head, just like i'd like to do to the designers.
form over function is a phrase best used for this game, yet it doesnt even fit, since graphically this game belongs on PS1. the entire game is filled with arms going thru walls, masks that dont cover faces, and other space confusion. the other major thing that jumped out at me was the lack of realistic movement. every character moves so stiffly and completely unfluently its ridiculous. i began playing as ghost, and seeing the real actor was cool....seeing the SNES graphics of ghost as a controllable object was closer to sad. backgrounds were so smoothed over, and the layout was beyond linear. basically this game visually is absolutely horrible. ABSOLUTELY horrible (if you insist on playing it, and get to the airport level (you will) youll see what i mean by no detail)
the sound, however is a redeeming point. blasting though my 5.1 surround, the soundtrack, sound effects and voices are near perfect.
unfortunately, you need to play to hear those audio benefits.
the more i write, the more i want to rate this a 1.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great... But, Nov. 25 2003
This review is from: Enter the Matrix - PlayStation 2 (Video Game)
Enter the Matrix is a great game, very nice graphics, gameplay, sound, fun, and replay value. There happens to be one major flaw, IT IS FAAAR TOO SHORT!! It does what it says it does-help you understand the movie better-but, they could have put alot more into it.The game itself is very fun, but for me, the Hack Mode is also alot of fun (I like computers and complicated software.) I spent pretty much more time in the Hack Mode than playing the game. There are so many ways to explore, to find so many things.Now, lets get back to the game. The weapons are of great variety and very detailed. You can't pass the levels without thinking, wich makes it fun for me. You won't be able to breeze through the game, without trying some things a couple of times to get past a part. The driving is very, very fun (for me.) The second flaw of the game is the multiplayer mode. You can't use focus and are very limited to how far of the levels you can explore. Many moves that are alot of fun to use on opponents in single player, dissappear. There are also no weapons in multiplayer. Over all, if you like the Matrix series get this, or just rent it, finish it, then return it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Enter the Matrix, Nov. 14 2003
Fast, furious.
Stylish, powerful.
The combat system here enthralled me,I spent over an hour on the first mission alone. I perfected every possible attack, shootdodge and cinematic trick imaginable. I couldn't beleive how much fun this was.
Then the game itself kicked in. A post office. Could it get any more dull?
How about sewers? filled with idiotic enemies who failed to seriously injure me even once.
How about driving? What could be more fun than driving?
Unfortunatly, in this world a car is an uncontrollable object derived of any attempt at physics.
God I hate this game. Many levels later and the only thing keeping me going is the €52 I paid for the dammed thing.
I'm bored. Only a couple of new moves have turned up, set peices have been laughable and I find the characters irritate me.
I promise, avoiding this and buying any other hyped game will be good for you. At worst the others will be 3 stars or more.
2 stars. Accompished combat, shoddy game.

Enter the Matrix - PlayStation 2
Enter the Matrix - PlayStation 2 by Infogrames (PlayStation2)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01