5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous in every aspect

Published on May 20 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous in every aspect, July 11 2004
brennan (Augusta, MA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Give Up (Audio CD)
Wow what a great album. Benjamin Gibbard is one of my favorite artists of all time, so I bought this with high hopes. I had never heard of Tamborello, but hey, my focus was Gibbard. When I first listened to it, i really did try to keep an open mind, and then I ended up hating it. About a month later, I popped it in again after listening to every single Death Cab for Cutie album, and all of a sudden i was tapping my feet and flipping through the lyric book rapidly. How could i have ever thought this bad??!!
As always Gibbard delivers with sharp, smart, and epic lyrics, turning what is obviously small events into the most important thing the world. The electronica takes some getting used to, but by the time you get past it, you see how perfect with the melancholic perfection of Gibbard.
The standout tracks are #2, Such Great Heights, all for its lyrics, "i am thinking its a sign that the freckles in our eyes are mirror images and when we kiss they're perfectly aligned; #4, which is a duet played out like a tense and pleading conversation between Gibbard and a girl who is leaving him; and #8, This Place is a Prison, which is an extremely mournful song rife with touching lyrics.
All in all a brilliant and lasting album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Give Up - Something I Would NOT Do to This Music!, March 19 2005
Tsuppi (O Canada...) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Give Up (Audio CD)
Recently, my older sister has adopted an I-pod Mini and in turn has given me her CD/MP3 player. To put it simply, all my time spent on that player has been on Give Up.
Before you raise an eyebrow, I have to say that in NO ONE'S mind ( not even someone who is foreign to electronica or indie ) there is doubt that Tambarello and Gibbard's collaboration has failed whatsoever in Give Up. Each song contains bits of pieces of some everyday noise ( clinking of a cereal bowl in Sleeping In, subway screeches in Natural Anthem ) and layers upon layers of beats, tunes, and uplifting voices. If you listen very closely, you can set apart the hundred layers in one song ( even counted once...past 5 layers at the least ) and even pick up the soft vocals of the women who sang for Give Up, as well ( found in The District Sleeps Alone Tonight's mid-instrumental is a repeating of "hello", or is it "alone?", that disturbs one for a moment ).
In conclusion, amazing vocals and addictive beats and lines keeps Give Up in heavy rotation in my second-hand CD player. Only absolute nit-picks will be _slightly_ disappointed ( "iffy" lyrics? I disagree! ). Get it or...um...don't.. and miss out. ^_^

3.0 out of 5 stars The Postal Service -- Give Up | Junkmedia.org Review, May 20 2003
By A Customer
...
Dntel's Jimmy Tamborello and Death Cab For Cutie's Ben Gibbard knew they were on to something good as soon as they finished collaborating on the track "(This is) the Dream of Evan and Chan." That compelling combination of Tamborello's melodic knob-twiddling and Gibbard's literate vocals and forlorn delivery was the triumph of Dntel's acclaimed 2001 release Life Is Full of Possibilities. Not long after that first collaboration, The Postal Service was born. The relative strangers began recording in December 2001, swapping tracks on CD-Rs through the mail.
Listening to the act's debut brings back the same sort of giddiness inspired in me by New Order's Low Life when I first picked it up a decade-and-a-half ago. The Postal Service expertly channels that adolescent spirit with an awkward blend of dance beats and melodic songwriting. However, the duo has updated the sound for the millennial set, pleasantly mixing Depeche Mode beats and bass lines, Pet Shop Boys melodies and Warp Records-styled twinkling tones and clicks. Orchestral samples and pseudo horns add an unusual flavor to "Clark Gable." Chunky, monophonic Casio-sounding keys tie the vocals to the beat in "Nothing Better."
Two of the album's highlights appear right at the front end of the record. The first song, "The District Sleeps Alone Tonight," leads with brooding organ, before beats saunter in and steadily cruise through the first verse and chorus to a clean, ringing guitar riff. A second chorus pumps even harder and defies you to not sing along. This despite a characteristically bumming realization repeated by Gibbard: "I am finally seeing why I was the one worth leaving" (Christ, Benny, just stick a fork through my heart, why don't you?). Track two, "Such Great Heights," has already been released as a single. The catchy number apes Rod Stewart's "Young Turks," especially the beat and understated arrangement, albeit in an electro fashion.
The remainder of Give Up is solid, though Gibbard's lyrics are less potent by the middle of the record, and Tamborello burrows perhaps a little too deeply into some of the thinner sounds of the cold '80s era that inspires him. "Sleeping In" stumbles a bit with Gibbard's trite invocation of the JFK assassination, but the murmured chorus, "Don't wake me, I plan on sleeping in," that drapes over a quiet acoustic guitar phrase is strong enough to carry the entire song.
Perhaps the only shortcoming of Give Up is that the adherence to pop shuts out some of the more interesting electronic elements explored on Life Is Full of Possibilities. "Natural Anthem" is probably the most adventurous Postal Service tune, utilizing a relatively heavy break-beat, a looping string sample and more aggressive production, but clearly the duo's strengths are geared more toward hit-making than trailblazing. So, while the record isn't necessarily an instant classic, the unabashed embrace of simple pop sensibilities, both old and new, make it a record that is hard to stop listening to.
Jay Breitling

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent album!, May 9 2006
This review is from: Give Up (Audio CD)
"Give Up" is quite simply a great album. It's a refreshing change from mainstream music, but it's not "too indie" to sound, well, terrible. The electronic beats are almost retro for us 80s kids who grew up on 8-bit video game systems, and to top it off, the music's great too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Balance, July 13 2004
Kate H "sweetpea1182001" (Neenah, WI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Give Up (Audio CD)
I have never been a fan of electronic music... and to be quite honest I probably won't convert anytime soon. I've always felt that the music never had an heart or substance to it; it was just too cold. So when one of my friends gave me this CD to listen to, I was worried and immediately the electronic bleeps and blurps made me tune out. But then I listened a bit more, to the lyrics and the melody and how perfectly they combined. This CD is amazing because you take the amazing emo-esque lyrics (honest, heart breaking... I love "I am finally seeing why I was the one worth leaving") and combine it with the most peppy and catchy music ever. I actually got to see them in concert (lucky me!!!) and I was worried how the album would translate but it was even better than the cd. This amazing little project is must for anyone, period; no matter what style of music you like.

5.0 out of 5 stars an amazing album., July 12 2004
malloreigh suicide (victoria, bc, canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Give Up (Audio CD)
"give up" was the album that started me listening to not only the postal service, and not only death cab for cutie, but to this entire genre of music. i love it. every song is touched with sadness and intuition.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, May 26 2004
This review is from: Give Up (Audio CD)
Wow, what a letdown. After reading the impressive accolades being heaped upon this album here prior to buying it, I was really expecting so much more. It's pretty sad that this is what passes for "pop-electronica genius" these days. Other than a few rare exceptions, mostly this album sounds like rehashed bubble-gum-style 80's-electronica ear candy, without an original angle or any impressive instrumentation.
This album doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as last year's "Neon Golden" by the Notwist. Now THAT's electro-pop brilliance. This, I'm not sure what to make of, other than I'm about ready to "Give Up" on Ben Gibbard at this point. Between this album and the equally disappointing "Transatlanticism" by Death Cab for Cutie, it's becoming apparent to me that the guy is spreading himself too thin in trying to put out quality efforts with 2 bands.
He's plenty talented, no question. One listen to DCFC's "The Photo Album", a phenomenal piece of work, proves that. It just seems to me that as he's expanding in different and numerous directions, the quality of material is suffering, even with greater production. Just personal opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing CD worthe every penny, Feb. 11 2005
This review is from: Give Up (Audio CD)
When i first bought this CD i was a little concerend, i didnt know what to expect, i heard a couple songs and they were great but i didnt like the fact that there are no insturments. Anyways i bought the CD and LOVED it every single song is good. I have had the cd for a while now and can listen to it over and over i recommend this CD for anyone whos looking for relaxing good music

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this album!!, Sept. 10 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Give Up (Audio CD)
This album is fanstatic!! Great buy, you won't regret!

5.0 out of 5 stars A melodic balance., Sept. 1 2004
Chris Reid (Ontario,Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Give Up (Audio CD)
The Postal Service's debut album give-up is nothing but a master peice. The musical genius of Ben Gibbard from Death Cab for Cutie, along with DNTEL's Jimmy Tamborello colaberate to create a unique indie sound unlike anyone else, and don't think it stops there. The CD's just as unique as the band, find out how the postal service and give up came to be, aswell as where the intrigueing name came from! It'll keep you wrapped up for hours!

ARRAY(0xc0151a14)

Give Up
Give Up by Postal Service (Audio CD - 2003)