4.0 out of 5 stars Mellow Music with Angelic Vocals
Published on Nov. 11 2003 by le_baiser

3.0 out of 5 stars Not her best attempt.
I agree with people who said that this album is a good one.
True, her voice has yet to disappoint, and the lyrics are a notch or two above mediocre... but honestly, this is one of those CDs i bought solely from listening to one song. i must say, it gets quite a few scratches because I skip so many tracks.
I much prefer her first one, but its not a total...
Published on Dec 31 2004 by Catt

4.0 out of 5 stars Mellow Music with Angelic Vocals, Nov. 11 2003
This review is from: Life For Rent (Audio CD)
Although I liked her "No Angel" album better, "Life for Rent" is pretty good. Her voice is subdued and airy and aside from the hit single, "White Flag", I loved "Who Makes You Feel"...It has a bluesy/jazz element to it and is very sensual. The beats in all her songs are great and her music is enjoyably minimalistic. She proves that sometimes less is more. A great singer and a great album!

4.0 out of 5 stars Dido's newest CD really does see the sun again, Oct. 26 2003
Amelia (Toronto, ON Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Life For Rent (Audio CD)
In her follow-up sophomore album to her hit debut album, Dido's become comfortable enough with her voice to carry the melody, relying less on the background instrumentation that was so prominent on "No Angel" and letting her soft-spoken tones flow through.
"White Flag" was a strong single to help launch promotion for this album, the familiar background luring old fans back, the music video's presence of Angel's David Boreanaz a second motivating factor, yet it's not truly reflective of the overall ambience of the song. In many respects, her second single "Life for Rent" is a better beautiful demonstration on how Dido's branched out more and begun to emphasize her voice, the slightly breathy yet warm and rich sound.
Some amused cynicism has crept into her music, her lyrics echoing her sly wit and amused status on songs such as "Stoned" , "Mary's In India". Clearly relaxed with her writing style now, a rather positive aura exudes from this album, her comfort flowing in my personal favourites "Don't Leave Home" and "See the Sun". The latter, in particular, has a great drum beat and hits a homey note that leaves you contentedly working, with your toe tapping along.
Dido incorporates a different, more modern rhythm with an unsettling vibe at first on "Who Makes You Feel", echoed slightly on "Do You Have a Little Time" which becomes more familiar with several listens. As if apologetically compensating for the new style, "WMYF" is followed up immediately by "Sand in My Shoes" which is a more traditional-Dido style song, possibly the most upbeat with a quick tune which brings a flavour of bubbly pop with Dido's usual eloquent lyrics.
Admittedly, "Life for Rent" may not have the same pop-associated tunes that "No Angel" had in spades, but with a more mellow ambience, her new album shows Dido growing up and learning that her voice is a stunning presence on its own. Her lyrics are as beautiful as ever and if Dido continues in this vein, her demographic audience will probably grow up well with her. A great album worthy of the chart rankings it's raking in, you can wait in anticipation to see what she pulls off next.

5.0 out of 5 stars Go Dido! Go Dido! Go! Go! Go!, Oct. 21 2003
This review is from: Life For Rent (Audio CD)
Wow this Cd was amazing! Dido's voice is getting so much more beutiful than before and the lyrics and music are superb! I just want to say Bravo!
1.White Flag
This is one of the best songs, i love the subject of it, apparently this song is a true story!
2.Stoned
This is a good on e but not my favourite because of the beat wich i don't like that much.
3.Life For Rent
Dido's next single, idont know what to say, it's a beutiful song!
4.Mary's in India
This, I think, is the best song lyric wise it tells a story but in an original way. This is one my favourites.
5.See you whe you're 40
I mostly like the beat in this one, i must a dmit i don't really listen to the lyrics in this one.
6.Don't leave me home
This is a good song with a good melody to it.
7.Who makes you feel
My favourite by far! I don't know what it is but there's something about it so beutiful that i almost cry every time i hear it!
8.Sand in my shoes
this one is always in my head, i can't shake it out of my head, its a catchy song wich your bound to love.
9.Do You have a little time
This is my second favourite, i like because of the way she sings in the song, it makes want more and more!
10.This Land is mine
It's good! This one i consider easy listening, its definetly not my favourite, but who knows, you might like it!
11.See The Sun (+Hidden track "closer")
This song is one of the best it has a catchy melody and powerful lyrics, it's definetly one of the best.
Closer is a good track its 2 minutes after see the sun

4.0 out of 5 stars The British version of Sarah McLaughlin, Oct. 4 2003
irnmtn25 (Colonial Heights, VA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Life For Rent (Audio CD)
While she is no Sarah McLaughlin, British export Dido does a pretty good job of trying to come close. On her new album, "Life For Rent", she continues her introspective standard. This cd seems to be a little more upbeat than her first release, "No Angel". There are several radio-friendly tracks here....especially the current single "White Flag", "See The Sun", "Sand In My Shoes", and "Don't Leave Home". "Don't Leave Home" tends to be my favorite. Her voice sounds really great on this track and the music is loud enough to give her a good backing sound. Apart from the main tracklisting, there is an extra bonus song embedded behind "See The Sun"....so make sure to keep playing after that one is over!
If the radio doesn't tire us of Dido as they did with the few singles from "No Angel", I think people will really appreciate this album....and will play it on those rainy days when they good chill-out music to match the dreary mood.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not her best attempt., Dec 31 2004
This review is from: Life For Rent (Audio CD)
I agree with people who said that this album is a good one.
I much prefer her first one, but its not a total loss.
If I could, I wouldn't buy it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great CD!, Aug. 18 2004
Chad (Newfoundland Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Life For Rent (Audio CD)
I gave this CD 4 starts instead of 5 because there are a few songs that are too slow and kinda boring, but the CD is good overall.
The Songs...
1. White flag: one of the best on the album, really like it. 10/10
2. Stoned: another very good song, the beat is excelent. 10/10
3. Life for rent: this is a nice song, a cool meaning. 9/10
4. Mary`s in india: kinda slow, but it gets better after a few listens, not much music in this song, my least favorite. 6.5/10
5. see you when you`re 40: I still don`t know all the words to this song, but i know some of it and it`s a pretty good song. 8/10
6. Don`t leave home: the 2nd single, and an excelent song! I can`t see why anyone whould not like this song, it`s one of the best on the CD. 10/10
7. Who makes you feel: I really like this song, it`s different then the rest on the album, an easy sing along and just a cool song. 9.5/10
8. Sand in my shoes: This one is a little faster then the rest and it sounds really good, cool music around the middle when she`s not singing. 9/10
9.: Do you have a little time: I love the lyrics in this one, (why do you still run when you could walk with me life will pass you by when you move this quickly) great song! 9.5/10
10. This land is mine: her voice shines here, an awesome song. 10/10
11. See the sun: this song is beautiful, no one could sing it like Dido, another excelent song, Very relaxing. 10/10
there`s a hidden track after see the sun, about 2 minutes after and it`s a very nice song/ending, so there you have it, buy the CD, you won`t regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bland?! No way!, July 17 2004
This review is from: Life For Rent (Audio CD)
Let me just start by saying that there is some really crappy music out there. Shopping for music these days feels like you're walking in a mine field...I'm constantly faced with the question "Do I really wanna shell out 18 bucks for this?" usually I don't. That's how I felt when I picked up this album. In the end I'm glad I bought it. It's the best thing I've heard in a long time, sure Dido's not all that edgy, but not everybody has to be. Personally, I'm sick of listening to political music. Some musicians should stop campaigning and make music. In short, I urge people to buy this album. It does what pop music should do: take you do a better place. While she's not going tyo be nominated for the Nobel prize Dido brings peace into my life` and that's why I'm so glad she's around and so pleased th at I bought this CD, and no, I'm not some accountant in their mid 30's contrary to the Dido fan stereotype. I'm just a teenager who loves music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best CD of the 21st century!, July 13 2004
This review is from: Life For Rent (Audio CD)
Really great CD it's perfect! Didos best by far.

4.0 out of 5 stars nice, July 13 2004
This review is from: Life For Rent (Audio CD)
as good as no angel, nice voice and different feelings.one of the best pop albums of da year

5.0 out of 5 stars What a Good CD, July 6 2004
This review is from: Life For Rent (Audio CD)
I loved Dido's first CD, and I didn't know if she had it in her to make a terrific sophomore album. Well, Dido proves here that she has the talent to stick around for years to come. Every song works here. The best thing about Dido is that her songs are deceptively simple. She tackles some pretty dark themes, and you don't really notice that until you listen to the album over and over. "White Flag" was a great choice for a first single. It shows that Dido is one of those artists who is able to sing about her shortcomings in a relationship rather than blaming someone else. There are so many good songs here, and it is for that reason alone I think you should buy this album. Dido is here to stay, and it'd be too bad if you didn't pick up this very good album.
1)White Flag: a really good song.
2)Stoned: I love the beat.
3)Life for Rent: I love the meaning behind the song.
4)Mary's in India: a great showcase for her voice. The ending is a little surprising.
5)See You When You're 40: another really cool song.
6)Don't Leave Home: one of my favorites.
7)Who Makes You Feel: I love the way her voices builds on this song. The beat is cool too.
8)Sand in my Shoes: you can tell she really feels this song. It's very good.
9)Do You Have a Little Time: another good song.
10)This Land is Mine: another good showcase for her voice.
11)See the Sun: this song is a great way to end the album. Very uplifting and terrific. One of my favorites.
HIDDEN TRACK: a really good, simple song. It takes a while to start, so don't turn off your CD player.
This is a really good CD. I highly recommend it.

Life For Rent
Life For Rent by Dido (Audio CD - 2003)