5.0 out of 5 stars from the creators of neon genesis...
Published on July 22 2004 by B. Polier

3.0 out of 5 stars Could be so much better!
At first glance, this anime looks like a very solid show and a great buy. However, once you start watching you'll realize that it's not as great as you think. The combination of a confusing plot and a lack of character development are it's main problems. It's not saved by the artwork or voice talent, either-these were equally unastounding. After continual watching, I...
Published on Dec 17 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars from the creators of neon genesis..., July 22 2004
B. Polier "Aspiring Writer" (Cranbrook, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hack//Sign: V.1 Login (DVD)
I've watched A LOT of anime way before it became mainstream, so I have had a sample of all the good stuff that made it here before the crappy kids shows. Neon Genesis is a supurd anime, you can't call yourself an anime lover before you watch that, however as much as I liked that anime, I LOVE .hack//SIGN. This sotry is slower moving, you see mostly character development and none of that bloody violence that is prevolent in most anime and other media. If you love getting involved with the characters you'll love this. Every person alive can relate to at least one of the characters in .hack, it's amazing to watch it and see how their lives play out. Even better, if you like this anime enough, there are four games to play that take place 6 months after this story. They pick up where it left off and solve the riddles that are left unsolved at the end of this series. Now I have to say that to be an true anime fan you have to have watched 2 series, Neon Genesis Evangelion and of course, .hack//SIGN! ^_^ \/

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Anime at its best!, July 17 2004
J. T. Sheehan (Oklahoma) - See all my reviews
This review is from: .Hack//Sign-Login (DVD)
Have you ever wondered what it was like to be Mario's world? To be able to live in the game for awhile? Add more people and this would describe what dotHack has to offer. The name of the game is "The World" and they are able to act just like it was a real world. But, something disturbing has happened. Tsukasa, having an extra ordinary gift, is causing confusion and chaos among the top players and the administrators. However, the only thing Tsukasa is worried about is trying to log out of the game.
The story is given the five stars, because it has some amazing twists. I was very surprised when I first watched the movie.
To rate the DVD itself, I would give it four stars. The music over powers a lot of the movie and it is hard to hear some of the dialog. This shouldn't stop you from buying it. It just took me to turn up my TV on some parts.
Conclusion. If you like anime, played an Massive Multilayer Game Online, like video games, or curious about the whole plot, then this DVD is for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool ^^, July 10 2004
By A Customer
If you're a real big .hack//SIGN fan, you need this thing. Just be careful. If you don't choose and look carefully, you'll get some DVD set with none of the cool stuff with it. One more thing, the .hack//SIGN series moves very very slowly and can be difficult to follow sometimes. If you don't speak Japanese, leave the subtitles on for some of the later episodes, or else you'll be totally confused, and won't get the actual meaning of some of the words that appear. It's really worth it to try and follow the series. I found myself almost crying when I watched episode 28, which is the last of them. So, if you're willing to stick with it, and try to understand the series, you'll probably really love it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the money...., June 3 2004
By A Customer
I bought this at the recommendations of many of my friends and after reading several reviews. This is purely a character-driven story and only has one or two fights that are actually worth watching. All in all not up to the standards of a all-around good anime...

2.0 out of 5 stars bleh, June 1 2004
Mikaela D. Arce (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: .Hack//Sign-Login (DVD)
I bought this because I found nothing but awesome reviews. I love watching anime but I did NOT love this.
I generally prefer watching dubs if they are good, but this just didn't do it for me. I think maybe if I stuck to watching this subbed, then it would not have been so bad. Probably.
As for the action sequences, they show a bunch of them as they are about to start, and then before anything hits anything, cut to a scene where they talk about the fight or not at all. I don't really mind all the talking (love Witch Hunter Robin) but again, I ran into the dub issue. The acting just didn't work for me. Points for the DVD extras though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not for everyone, but when it hits you, it hits hard, May 24 2004
Xyco (Greensboro, NC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: .Hack//Sign-Login (DVD)
This is one of the few anime that I've seen where the series is almost entirely dialogue driven. Despite the large swords and spears and such, you won't see them used much. Regardless, the characters are incredibly deep as the story evolves into something much deeper than you'll imagine.
This anime, taking place prior to the events in the PS2 game, is an excellent introduction to the .hack series. Don't get me wrong though, this anime is NOT just a long commercial for a video game. Standing on it's own it is one of the most powerful anime out there. Every episode is just dripping with emotion, from total despair, to total happiness.
I should also note that the music, performed wonderfully by the talented Yuki Kajiura, is simply incredible. It was the music alone that made me want to see this anime so badly.
Still, it is not for everyone. If you want hope to see all kinds of action and explosions and whatnot, look away. But if you want a mature story with depth and emotion, then this is for you.

1.0 out of 5 stars not too good the only..., April 16 2004
By A Customer
the only thing that was good about this series was the music.

5.0 out of 5 stars .hack//SIGN -Login, April 16 2004
This review is from: .Hack//Sign-Login (DVD)
If u r a huge fan of .hack then this is thhe DVD for u. The art in it is beutiful. If u r unfermeliar with .hack than u should not buy this.IF u have never playied the game than do not buy this. If u want to spend less money u can watch the anime on Cartoon Network at 12:00 a.m. on Saturdays.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Saga Begins, April 4 2004
This review is from: .Hack//Sign-Login (DVD)
And so it starts. WARNING: if you are a fan of action, or hate long, LONG, periods of talking, STAY FAR AWAY. Since this isn't a problem for me, I enjoyed this emmensely. This is my first anime, and I'm on the last disc. It starts off great, but is very confusing. Things start to make sense around the fourth disc. I recommend it to any fan of MMORPGs, since it takes place in one.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, March 26 2004
This review is from: .Hack//Sign-Login (DVD)
I thought I would like this, but all I had heard about it just turned out to be hype. The characters are all boring, two-dimensional personalities. The art, while pretty, was not enough to keep my interest, and the storyline was, to be frank, not even there. So, Tsukasa is trapped in an online game. *yawns* Big deal. None of the characters had me cheering for them, and some, like Subaru, made me feel the opposite. I found the Crimson Knights to be power-hungry and Subaru to be rather stuck-up. Bear is just...goofy. Mimiru is the only character to evoke any kind of good reaction from me, but she cannot carry the show all by herself.
The voice acting falls flat, as the voices either don't fit the character or are just uninteresting. Tsukasa sounds flat and emotionless, Mimiru's English voice gets on my nerves VERY quickly, and Subaru also comes across as rather unemotional and prissy. The voice actors for the Crimson Knights and Bear sound as though they have never done any voice-acting; their acting is stilted and jerky.
If you are a fan of online RPGs, you might like this. Otherwise, I suggest you stay away. There are many other anime titles out there. I am currently selling my copy of .hack here on Amazon.

ARRAY(0xac779120)

.Hack//Sign-Login
.Hack//Sign-Login by Megumi Toyoguchi (DVD - 2003)
CDN$ 72.13