5.0 out of 5 stars fun and touching
truly an example of love and following God. Funny at time, shows what sacrifice and keeping oneself chaste can do.
Published 17 months ago by Michel-Andre Baril

3.0 out of 5 stars Book is a Million Times Better
Published on June 28 2003 by Katie Bills

5.0 out of 5 stars fun and touching, March 5 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure love, July 7 2004
This review is from: The Other Side Of Heaven (DVD)
This is a beautiful movie. This past week I attended a symposium given by Elder John Groberg and his wife. This movie was written about Mr Groberg and his Wife Jean's experience. They are wonderful people. Their love story is truly inspiring. In todays world where love means short throw away relationships, one night stands, and marriages that quickly end in divorce it is really refreshing to see a movie made about a true love story. Their love lasted through his mission and all these 40 or so years that they have been married. Their love is still going strong.
I too have experienced this kind of love. My husband waited for me as I served a mission for the church of Jesus-Christ of Latterday saints. Our love grew stronger every day as I was going through similar experiences. We married shortly after I came home. Now, after children and the events of life we are still happy and in love. True love is saving and can last forever.
My husband also served a 2 year mission for this church. I can tell you it is not easy to leave all of your friends and family for 2 years relying only on letters as communication. We serve missions because we want to share the joy that comes from this truth. There is no deception about it. Why else would we pay our own way, leave our families, and go half a world away for 2 years? The answer is love. We serve missions because we love you. As stated in the beginning God loves his people everywhere. So next time you see a mormon missionary be kind.... they are far from home and are here merely to share joy and the love of God.
I feel compelled to respond to a few of the criticisms of this movie. First of all... to the person who said it was unbelievable that this man would refuse the sexual offer from the islander girl.... I want you to know that Mormon Elders and Sister missionaries all over the world keep themselves chaste. Perhaps as unbelievable as it is in this day and age We as "Good faithful mormons" in our youth save ourselves for marriage and the one true love. Also, to the young man who wanted the relationship worked up for sensational reasons, let me say it is a true story. This young mormon couple had a very simple and pure love. They are chaste and virtuous. This movie was never meant to be titillating entertainment.
Secondly, There has been criticism of the islanders playing Tongans. I do understand that one. However, How many movies are made of French people with really sad American accents trying to sound French. Or Mexicans acting as Spaniards. Since I studied 7 years of French and spent a year and a half in Paris it drives me crazy to hear a fake accent. I guess the best excuse is that it was a low-budget film.
Third, I do think it is rather silly how Disney used Anne Hathaway as the star of the show as if the mission were all about her. However, we can't judge the film just because Disney wanted to use Anne Hathaway for Propaganda. That was Disney's decision.
Fourth, I don't see a problem with the contents. Those things happened to him on his mission. My mission definitely wouldn't be G rated either, nor PG for that matter. I saw a lot of dirty stuff on those city streets.
Lastly, we cannot judge this film by rating it's sensationability. It is a true story. It is not meant to be an action packed SPY Kids movie or Harry Potter.
Mormons are a good beautiful people. Many movies have been recorded of many different faiths. It's about time there is some positive coverage of the LDS people.

3.0 out of 5 stars Book is a Million Times Better, June 28 2003
This review is from: The Other Side Of Heaven (DVD)
I had made the mistake of reading the book, In the Eye of the Storm by Groberg, before I saw the movie. The movie only showed some of the crazy things that happened to Elder Groberg on his mission. It left out all of the personal and spiritual growth that he went through and how he came to love the gospel and the people more than himself. The movie was nice, but Disney did not want to insult any of their viewers and left out the most important aspects that made John Groberg's experiences so amazing. The movie was ok, but I highly recommend the book to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Movie!, June 6 2004
Evonne Landwehr (Duluth, Georgia United States) - See all my reviews
There was only one copy of this title at the video store and although my kids rolled their eyes at the cover, I decided it could be a good educational movie. We were pleasantly surprised at what a great story unfolded before us. It was exciting and dramatic and meaningful. To really enjoy this film, it does not matter whether you accept the Mormon faith; the church doctrine is not presented as a main component of the story. It is the dedication of the young man and his experience on the island that is so inspiring. The kind of discipline and faith he has can be applauded regardless of his religion. I was very impressed with this movie, have suggested it to many of my Christian friends and highly recommend it for family viewing with children 13 or older.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Setting... Story keeps you interested, May 19 2004
This review is from: The Other Side Of Heaven (DVD)
This is the story of a young Mormon missionary who goes to Tonga for 2 1/2 years and lives and works with the people on a remote island. It shows him struggling against nature - from mosquitos to hurricanes to storms at sea. These add a lot of drama to the story. He also struggles with himself and his faith and you see him grow and develop from somewhat stiff and self-conscious to warm and open and serving. The story does well to show these struggles without casting him as an idiot who eventually "learns better". It also shows the Tongan natives with respect and warmth. Although their language and culture are different from the young missionary's, they are loving and minister to him as he reaches out to them. The initial resistance from the established minister on the island is resolved with respect as well.
There are a few parts that might have been improved. Does this poor guy really have to wear a tie every day in this tropical location? And when the native men get baptized by him, what does it mean that they are then wearing white dress shirts and ties as well? Is the implication that only Western office attire is "righteous"?
Other than wardrobe, though, the film does seem to show respect for the Tongan natives. It also gives a glimpse of some of the crises they may face. Devastation by hurricanes, being cut off from communication and food supplies, lack of medical services, being exploited by Westerners (who entice some of the young women to leave with them - clearly intending to sell them into prostitution), as well as the seemingly universal problems of alcoholism and family conflict, etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Spiffy Movie!", April 2 2004
This review is from: The Other Side Of Heaven (DVD)
Wow! The Other side of Hevan is great! When John Groberg (Christopher Gorham) goes to Tonga on an important misson. He falls in love with a girl, (Anne Hathaway) and then they have to seperate because he has to go to Tonga. Disney and Buena Vista did a great Job!!!!
I would sugest no kids under 9 or even ten should see this. instead of PG it should be PG-13. But i think you'll love it! The culture is so different from the United States!! (*****)

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring Story, Feb. 6 2004
This review is from: The Other Side Of Heaven (DVD)
I must say this movie was not what I thought it would be, but I was not disapointed. We picked it up because Anne Hathaway was in it and we thought it would be a cute romance our girls would enjoy. Anne Hathaway was barely in the movie, even though she was used heavily to promote it. I kept having to remind myself that it was based on the memoirs of a real person because some of it seemed so fantastical, but anyone with faith in their God can get past that. I was so moved by this story I found myself telling people they needed to watch it. I usually just say " it was good" or whatever. If you have a problem with the fact that the main character is Mormon, then pretend they are Presbyterian or Baptist, etc. Everyone has missionaries!

5.0 out of 5 stars Keep the family shows coming., Jan. 19 2004
C. Cade Brenchley "malandro00" (Wendover, Utah United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Other Side Of Heaven (DVD)
I am grateful to see that there can be some entertaining and inpiring yet wholesome movies out there. I really liked this movie. I gave it 5 stars because what it may have lacked in acting and expensive special effects it makes up for with the teaching of good principles and PG cleanliness. There are many who bash on this because they have a different idea of Mormonism and think we have some hidden agenda. I can only ask you to step out of your ignorance on the subject and take an open-minded and open-hearted look at "Mormonism". Having served an honorable LDS mission I can empathize with some of the difficulties faced by Elder Groberg. I have read some negative reviews here saying many things portrayed in the film were unbelievable. I'm here to tell you that while serving a mission one will see the most incredible things ranging from absolutely comical to heart-wrenching to nothing short of miraculous. Go walk a mile in a missionaries shoes before you pass judgement. Great film, keep 'em comin'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful sympathetic tale of missionary living, Dec 23 2003
TOMMY C ELLIS "Prison Rev." (Federal Way, WA United States) - See all my reviews
The Other Side of Heaven is a sweet, yet realistic tale of a young missionary sent with few resources to bring his religion to a remote land. He battles natural elements, struggles with being away from his school sweetheart, learns another language without formal training, struggles with other religious leaders who distrust him, and, most hilariously, he wins over a paper-pushing bureaucrat from his own faith tradition. Perhaps the most powerful element of the story is that a barely twenty-year-old caucasion male from Idaho who goes to a foreign land to bring Western religion could be portrayed sympathetically by Hollywood.
I also spent several years overseas doing religious work. Although I am not Mormon, and my experiences were not a dramatic is the young man's in this movie, there were many similarities. It was gratifying to see such a positive and realistic story being brought to the big screen.
Bottom-line: This is a great movie--suitable for viewing by upper-elementary school children and older. It is an excellent conversation piece on many levels: multiculturalism, the validity of mission type projects, and, of course, religion itself. Great stuff!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Titleless Review. Oh yeah,this is a title isn't it., Nov. 17 2003
This review is from: The Other Side Of Heaven (DVD)
I liked this movie alot. I wish more people would get a change to see it. It is for adults though(some blood and stuff),so I wouldn't recomend(if your an adult)letting your kid see it unless you have already seen it and can convince them to close their eyes during the gross parts. If its even possible not to see this movie because it rocks! I saw it for Family Home Evening (if you are not a Latter Day Saint that is what we do once a week on Mondays or in our case,Sundays when we to church related but fun things)Yestersay and it is my third favorite movie(compared to spirited away and spy kids 3d) it is sad in some parts and scary in lots of parts. Its just one of those movies(Actuallly,the only one I've seen)where what's happening twists and turns and you have absoulutly no idea what will happen next. Plus it has lots of humor and Its really woderful. And if you think your not going to like it,your wrong,because I loved it and I thought it would be boring. As soon as it started,I was hooked. Unlike my second favorite moie spy kids 3D. So umm (insert closey sentence thingy here)!

The Other Side Of Heaven
The Other Side Of Heaven by Mitch Davis (DVD - 2004)
CDN$ 6.25 CDN$ 5.97