boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Cyber Monday Deals Week in Home & Kitchen All-New Kindle Paperwhite Music Deals Store SGG Tools Auto

Format: DVDChange

on October 6, 2003
This sequel is at least as good as its precursor. It combines solid (if unspectacular) humor, with a feel-good message. But the director got it right. You need to start with the humor, to engage the viewer, before bringing in the heavier themes. Otherwise it's too easy for the uninvolved and sarcastic viewer to write the film off as corny or too sincere. It can be said that there is nothing truly innovative in this film; in some respects it aims for the common-denominator, but it hits it. The fact of the matter is, this is the level at which a lot of guys interact and bond. The treatment of westerners and women aren't great, but that's not what this modest movie is about. It's about male bonding.
Other pluses include the strong acting and the well-defined characters. Palance and Lovitz prove interesting muses for Crystal, albeit in very different respects. And even if we've heard it a million times before, it's good to be reminded that what you learn along the way is often more valuable than the what you are pursuing in the process.
So while this film is no great work of art, unlike the main characters in their quest, the moviemakers fully achieve what they set out to do.
on March 19, 2001
Why do they have to do it? OK, I admit, "City Slickers" was great, but why do they have to try to capitalize on the success of a fist novie and make these sequels. And why do you, yes YOU the people who go and see them and rate them so highly, give them the encouragement. Witht he exception of the "Star wars" trilogy and "Indiana Jones" trilogy sequels never fail to disappoint! This is the same old garbage withthe same old gags. "He's behind me isn't he?" Phil nods "Yes!" with a vacant and stupid grin on his ugly mug. Oh please. We haven't heard THAT one before have we? That was incedibly annoying! Even moreso when we are expected to laugh at it! "City Slickers" was a self-contained movie. It didn't need a sequel. So why do it?
on September 10, 2000
City Slickers II: The Legend of Curly's Gold is a sequel that I can say is better than the first. They are both very good though. As the person before me stated, at the end of the first, it is sort of a new start for Mitch, played extremly funny by Billy Crytal.
What made this movie better was instead of that one guy from the orginal and Daniel Stern, you get Daniel Stern and Jon Lovitz, who I think is hiliarous!
The title pretty much says what the plot is, it has a very uplifting ending and what more can I say? See it, it is a classic, Spanky!
Have A NiCE LiFE!
on September 21, 2001
I reaqlly love this movie. Why? Because I love treasure movies, that's why! This one's even better than The Treasure of the Sierra Madre for many reasons, not the elast of which is SIerra Madre is such a downer. Sorry, Bogey. ALso I love comedy and yes, I even love cattle being mistaken for the opposite sex. Great locations, good writing and Jack Palance, the man you just can't stop listening to. I enjoyed the cameo appearances in the end and the sappy parts. It's all good entertainment! The Ending always gets me jumping and cheering.
on July 17, 2004
City Slickers is a very good movie and though sequels often pale in comparison this sequel was actually pretty good and Billy Crystal, Daniel Stern and Jack Palance were still in top form and I liked the addition of Jon Lovitz as Billy's lazy freeloading brother but I wish that Bruno Kirby was in this sequel too reprising his roll from the original but it's still a good movie and I highly recommend it and I hope to buy this and the first movie on DVD!
on April 7, 2004
This is a very funny movie, with an A+ cast, and script. With quirky one liners and beautiful scenery, you really do feel like your in a western.
It was fun seeing the cast again in this sequel, except for Bruno Kirby, who was replaced by Jon Lovitz.
The commentary for the movie is also quiet good. It's fun learning about what went on behind the scenes and such.
I personally think this is one of the better sequels. Very nicely done.
on August 26, 2003
One of the few sequels that live up to the original. Yes there are a few gags repeated from the first movie - it's called CONTINUITY, CJ - look into it.
Other than that, it takes the likeable characters from the original and puts them in a brand new adventure. This isn't a retread of the original plot. Scenery is beautiful, Lovitz is a riot.
on June 21, 2000
if you watch city slickers 2 you may agree or not that it is as good as city slickers one. I personally think it is worth a watch. It also is a great sequal for 1, because the first one leaves you off where mitch's (crystal) life is beginning to be okay but.....more to come about him and his other friends in the second!
on May 27, 2002
This is one of my favorite comedies and just awesome follow up to the 1st part. Jack Palance is brilliant and so is the rest of the crew. If you think the 1st part is better; you need to have your head examined ! I only hope they'll do another one.
on February 6, 2003
OK i was so excited when I saw ...that they were releasing this on dvd! I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS FOR SO LONG! EVERYONE SHOULD ORDER THIS AND THE FIRST ONE! THERE PROBABLY WON'T be ANY special features, but still.....THE MOVIE!