4.0 out of 5 stars A step closer to drunken uselessness, but still great.
The Pogues are still one of the only bands I've formes a personal relationship with (the kind whose songs pop into your head during important time sin your life) and this album is the third reason why, ranking just after "Rum..." and "...Grace with God" (both five star classics).
Published on April 13 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars A breath of fresh air from...the Late 80s?
I listened to the Pogues when I was in college back in the late 80s; although I liked their CDs a lot, the explosion of World Music kinda dissuaded me from listening to them again for almost a decade.
Published on Aug. 30 2002 by J. Holt

3.0 out of 5 stars A breath of fresh air from...the Late 80s?, Aug. 30 2002
J. Holt (Portland, OR, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Peace And Love (Audio CD)
I recently found "If I Should Fall from Grace with God" and "Hell's Ditch" and began to listen to them continuously for several weeks before I ordered "Peace and Love" from amazon, wanting to hear more of their stuff.
The Pogues really were a great band -- I'm not that much an afficinado to understand why McGowan left -- but I enjoy these 3 CDs for qualities which, to me, are absent in most of the music today: the diversity of their writing, the vibrancy of their musicanship, their gusto, and the emotional impact (like a bombshell) some of their best songs have. On this CD, I find myself drawn into their worlds with songs like "Gridlock", "Down All the Days", "Lorelei", "Cotton Fields" and "Blue Heaven".
"If I Should Fall from Grace with God" is probably their best album and one which would merit 4 **** stars from me -- but "Peace and Love" is up with 3.

4.0 out of 5 stars A step closer to drunken uselessness, but still great., April 13 2002
This review is from: Peace And Love (Audio CD)
Here, a few bona-fide classics (USA, Down All the Days, Night Train to Lorca) are surrounded by some well-played but uninspired tracks that occasionally veer toward the insipid (My Blue Heaven, Cotton Fields).
Face it, The Pogues aren't exciting without Shane Mcgowan at the helm. Here, while they sound awful nice, the others that step to the mic seem to adopt a sort of pompous tone. I'll take drunken slobberiness before pomposity any day.
Whne McGowan uses his by now-deepening gurgle to good effect, in slow cadence, or in tandem with someone else, the band smokes. When he relinquishes it and passes out on the couch, the album loses steam (notable exception: Lorelei).
Still, certain powerful emotions (sadness, anger, fear, longing) are the themes that still drive what these guys were doing. When they pull it off, they created the best Irish-inflected-rock I've ever heard.

4.0 out of 5 stars My introduction to the Pogues., Feb. 23 2000
This review is from: Peace And Love (Audio CD)
I never heard of this band until a friend recorded his CD of "Peace and Love" on tape and gave it to me. Being of Irish descent I fell in love with "Young Ned of the Hill," and then with the rest of the album. (It took me sometime to really appreciate MacGowan.) That was nearly ten years ago. I have since purchased virtually everyone of their albums, and I have seen The Pogues and Shane MacGowan perform live.
I have a fondness for "Peace and Love" because it was the first album of The Pogues that I heard, and reminds me of my days at my Bronx, NY university. But I do not believe it is one of their better efforts: MacGowan's voice was really going downhill and a large part of the album was written by other members of the band with mixed results. "White City" and "Misty Morning Albert Bridge" are classics, "Lorlelei" is sublime, and "Young Ned of the Hill" still remains one of my personal favorites; but the rest is just ok.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, April 16 2004
B. Fanciulli (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Peace And Love (Audio CD)
A huge fan of MacGowan and the Pogues' "Red Roses for Me" and "If I Should Fall From the Grace of God," I am horribly disappointed with this album. It begins with a completely out of place swing jazz song, that, when you listen for the first time, will make you think the manufacturer accidentally mispackaged a Big Bad Voodoo Daddy album; though, quite an original intro for an 80's pop folk album. A few tunes resemble the Pogues of albums past (tracks 2, 10 & 11), but they lack the energy and conviction. The rest of the album is, as the title infers, complete hippie-inspired garbage only comparable to the worst of the Grateful Dead.
The production is quite different from what you may expect as well, with the trademark banjo, cheerful flute, and MacGowan's vocals are toned down or nonexistent on most tracks.
If you love early Pogues, do yourself a favor and avoid this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Curse Upon You, Oliver Cromwell, May 3 2001
David Bradley "David Bradley" (Sterling, VA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Peace And Love (Audio CD)
The best Pogues LP is the classic IF I SHOULD FALL FROM GRACE WITH GOD.
PEACE & LOVE is a strong second place.
I suppose the reason the Pogues never hit in the USA is that they are "too irish," just as the Kinks, the Jam, XTC and the Clash were "too English." Personally, I think it's because American radio programmers remain "too stupid" to recognize good music unless it's packaged and promoted to death.
I can listen to this CD all day long--I often do--with the exception of "Gridlock," a misplaced cop-show theme song, and "Blue Heaven," a piece of fluff that must have been slipped onto the master tape by mistake.
"Night Train To Lorca," "Misty Morning Albert Bridge" and the masterful "London You're A Lady" are among the best things the Pogues ever recorded.

4.0 out of 5 stars Eclectic, Mondial, and yes! It Works!, July 7 2003
Greekfreak (Pusan Korea (South)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Peace And Love (Audio CD)
Strangely enough, the mix of world music stew you find on this album works rather well, and at a time when they might have been stumped for new material, this is a better album than most critics will admit.
For one thing, Jem Finer and Andrew Rankin step up on the songwriting duties; "Misty Morning, Albert Bridge" is a classic Pogues tune that even Shane with his worsening voice could not ruin. Kirsty MacColl is back on board with the beautifully soaring "Lorelei". McGowan himself isn't up to par, but still shows some flashes of classic brilliance--"London, You're A Lady" being one of the best.
The Jazz, fusion, and samba beats might jar a few listeners, but it's a pretty cohesive album that slips under your skin in no time at all. Well worth owning, and far better than the follow-up "Hell's Ditch".

5.0 out of 5 stars Like it, like it. . ., May 17 2000
This review is from: Peace And Love (Audio CD)
I'm a great Pogues fan and love pretty much all their stuff (except that latest green-on-black album), but this is the first of our worn-out cassettes I'm looking to replace on CD. We have every album on tape, and after 12 or so years of frequent playing and undergoing harsh conditions (they are always in the car, and therefore often in sunshine, in LA), the sound quality is getting to be miserable. I love Lorelei, Gartloney Rats, Cotton Fields, and have an odd fondness for Blue Heaven, but almost every track is a goodie as far as I'm concerned. This might also be a good way to ease someone into Poguedom if they've only ever listened to happy-happy pop before.

4.0 out of 5 stars man, i love this record, April 28 2002
This review is from: Peace And Love (Audio CD)
I never saw "My Left Foot" but know all the words to "Down All the Days." "Peace and Love" is the perfect mix of fun (Boat Train), anger (Young Ned of the Hill), and droll humor (Down All the Days). If I were a drinker, I'd drink to this. "Misty Morning, Albert Bridge" is a classic, and along with "Lorelai" really tempers the record, making it digestible even for someone who may be listening to the Pogues for the first time and thinks Irish rock is limited to the Cranberries (are they rock?).

4.0 out of 5 stars Simply fantastic, Jan. 20 2000
Suze "suze78" (Milwaukee, WI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Peace And Love (Audio CD)
While this cd probably isn't their best one, Peace and Love has some unforgettable songs on it. My favorites: "Young Ned of the Hill", which truly does make me want to blow up Parliament, and two amazing ballads, "Misty Morning Albert Bridge" and "Lorelei." "Lorelei" will be played at my wedding. Pogue Mahone!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good production quality but..., Feb. 27 2002
This review is from: Peace And Love (Audio CD)
it's an inconsistent album. Doesn't have the same kick as the albums that preceded it. The tracks Tombstones, Cotton Fields, USA, and Down All Days are examples of what I'm talking about. If I Should Fall From Grace With God raised the bar pretty high, and this album, which followed it, doesn't measure up.

Peace & Love (Vinyl)
Peace & Love (Vinyl) by Pogues (LP Record - 1989)
Click for more info