5.0 out of 5 stars great production
Came promptly.
I like this production-- good detail, great cast. Had a couple of indignant grade 10's when it came out, but it is pretty solid.
Published on Feb. 25 2012 by mary jane mckelvey

2.0 out of 5 stars I don't think Shakespeare's rolling in his grave, but...
Maybe my viewing experience of this film was tainted when, while seeing it in the theatre, one of the 13 year old girls sitting in the row in front of me turned to the other and said, "is Leo going to talk link this THE WHOLE TIME?".
Published on June 8 2004 by ajlingo

5.0 out of 5 stars great production, Feb. 25 2012
This review is from: William Shakespeare's Romeo + Juliet [Import] (DVD)
Came promptly.

5.0 out of 5 stars SPECTACULAR, Dec 29 2013
This review is from: William Shakespeare's Romeo + Juliet [Import] (DVD)
I wasn't ready for this film. It is the most fantastic rendering of Shakespeare I have ever seen--a 2-hour roller coaster ride of emotion that just leaves you sitting there with nothing to say. Verona, Italy is transformed into Verona Beach, Southern California. The rival families are now industrialists with hanger-on street gangs who use guns instead of swords. Mercutio, Romeo's best friend, does a great drag performance at the party. The text of the play is cut slightly, but no damage is done. You are really going to like this DVD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, May 27 2009
Tanya Elchuk (Calgary) - See all my reviews
I think this was a well thought out modernized version of the classic. It re-invented the fantasy aura that originally it would have obtained by setting it in the past, instead pushing it into a future that was strangely relatable, yet, not so believable. Good fiction can put you there , and make you believe, even if it's not supposed to be. Just like our main charater's love story. Either way, past or present-Romeo & Juliet works best as a fantasticle, untimely tragedy, and I think Baz got it right. I found his interpretation, and yes I'll admit - strange at first - but that's mostly due to preconceived ideas on how this classic is "supposed" to play out, however once one drops all that, it was wonderful, enlightening and engaging. Capturing all the honesty and angst of young love and passion. After all that said, my favorite though is ultimately how Baz had the death scene played out. Not Romeo dead before Juliet wakes up but Romeo dying as she wakes up and the knowledge in both their eyes as he dies realizing how close they both came to having everything. Frustration, horror, sorrow, love, anguish, releif...I felt it all with them...brilliant.

2.0 out of 5 stars I don't think Shakespeare's rolling in his grave, but..., June 8 2004
"ajlingo" (Minneapolis MN) - See all my reviews
For a Shakespeare purist (as I am myself), the problem is not the modernization of the setting and the use of the language in that setting (I personally love it), but it's the absolutle murder of the language by the majority of the cast that makes my skin crawl. This movie, in terms of the execution of the script, does a disservice in getting kids hooked on the poetry of Shakespeare's writing.
However, I will admit that visually it's great. The setting is apt. Mercutio is amazing. But, teachers, I would think twice about showing this version to your class.

3.0 out of 5 stars It Almost Worked for me, but..., July 4 2004
"lunalu69" (San Jacinto, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Read kerki and Eric's review. I won't be redundant and say the same things, because I agree wholeheartedly. Visually, this was quite stunning..beautiful. The outlandish, as they say "MTV" look was good, kinky, modern. If they would have dropped the accents and brought Shakespeare's words into today's vernacular, I probably would have given it 5 stars. The new story idea was that good. The cast was delicious, as were the sets. It's really too bad. With just the one change to modern English, this could have become a cult classic. As stands now, I'll just keep watching Zeferrelli's version forever. Now, that's Shakespeare.

4.0 out of 5 stars I Loved It!, April 26 2004
This review is from: Romeo + Juliet (VHS Tape)
It appears from other reviewers that I'm in the minority, but I loved this movie. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because I'm not exactly thrilled with Claire Danes as Juliet. She's adequate, nothing more. But Leo...and the guy who plays Mercutio...the soundtrack...and the whole production...Well, I love Baz Luhrman! And this is a very enjoyable adaptation.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best movie ever, April 19 2004
Betty Weller "HpFan" (Jefferson, City TN USA) - See all my reviews
This movie is awesome Leonardo DiCaprio is the best Romeo yet

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice to watch after reading.., April 15 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Romeo &Juliet (VHS Tape)
I thought this was a great movie. It shows us in our current era, the views on what happens in Romeo and Juliet. The fact that Mercutio is a drug addict, cross-dressing, african-american (Which not many do know about) was quite interesting and did prove his char. well. I was stunned the most at Leo and Claire's acting skills very much.
The only thing I do recommend is to read the play first, or you may not catch on to fast. I saw this in my English class, and I thought it was nice to watch other then just reading it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Bad., April 13 2004
Dhaval Vyas (Dallastown, PA U.S.A) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Romeo + Juliet (VHS Tape)
This 1990's version of the great play is very, very bad. I did not like DiCaprio as Romeo and the Shakespearean language seems so out of place for a 1990s setting. Avoid it.

5.0 out of 5 stars This was a Baz Masterpiece!!, April 12 2004
P. Knackstedt "**DramaQueen**" (Geneva, Illinois United States) - See all my reviews
I didn't know much about Shakespeare before this film. Now seeing how beautiful the language truly is makes the movie breathtaking. The acting is phenomenal. Baz Luhrmann is a genius at his best (besides "Moulin Rouge!)But if you won't let them tell you this story and if you can't go beyond the norm, you won't like it.

ARRAY(0xab56a8b8)