Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Kitchen Music Deals Store SGG Tools Kindle

on June 24, 2003
So, some of my favorite albums contain the weirdest music available, such as Incredible Moses Leroy (Electric Pocket Radio), Beck singles (Halo of Gold), Grandaddy (Our Dying Brains) to name a few. Well this album certaintly fills out my need for more of the quirky music in my collection. Like a Duck is great (check out the video online) and is quite a musical jubilation. Should we discuss Beck influences? Besides the obvious 3 turntables and 2 microphones, Hung Up has the same sort of sweet flow that Beck's "Clock" has, oh yeah. What a Bringdown is another Highlight, as well as "My Bad Seed" -I'm kinda stuck on "My Bad Seed" actually. "The Baby That Was You" is extremely weird, and almost sounds like it samples a NIN song of all things: The Perfect Drug. While the lyrics are beyond stupid, the song works just by juxtaposing the NIN beat with the lyrics and some other cool effects (barking dogs, crying babies, cell phones, lalala choirs, etc.) The rest is kinda filler: "Soft Velvety 'Fer" is a weird monologue with someone leaving messages on answering machines like the scene found in Swingers, but the culprit is a female in this one and the stuff is much more strange. The album is a skewed mess of randomly cool music, check it out.
on June 16, 2003
oh my, this is SUCH a wonderful album. it mixes that lovely eels goodness in with weird old self-help recordings. Koool G Murder's appearance in "a good day to be you" is hilarious, "sonnet no. 3" is rocktastic, and the album is overall really fun and well made. it just makes me happy. I feel like E has more freedom when not under the name eels, and he's really wonderfully creative on "i am the messiah"....... *cough* I mean...he would be if it were he that made the album. MC Honky is not E. MC Honky is a former janitor. I swear...
TOP 500 REVIEWERon November 27, 2015
I think drawing from the same creative well as Beck’s “Odelay” (E even sings a bit of “Where it’s at” on “Three turntables..”, although Beck also sampled the song).
So lots of samples, voice-over type narrations, with E does singing some regular type vocals, but the musical bed is very Eels, full of the melodies & musicianship you expect from an Eels albums.
So even though it’s classed as an E side project, if you like the music The Eels you will enjoy this album, in fact if it had been released as Eels album not many eyebrows would have been raised.
on June 13, 2003
MC Honky really is some kind of messiah--the word genius doesn't quite seem to define him. After months of musical boredom---this wonderful cd made it's way onto my cd player yesterday and I can't stop playing it. Check this out if you like early Beck--I think he's a better comparison than the Eels are. But to compare MC to anyone is not totally possible either--just buy it and listen, you'll see.
on June 17, 2003
Think "United Future Organization", mixed with some "Fat Boy Slim", a pinch of "Dandy Warhols", and all layered on top of a 60's flick soundtrack. And it's more "Self" than it is "Beck". It's campy & fun; it makes a great accompaniment for a casual cocktail hang or as a rush hour drive blues-buster.
on February 11, 2004
This is wonderfully quirky cut-n-paste music with a clear organic element. I'm a bigtime eels fan as well. I like all of the tracks; "My bad seed" is my least favorite, but "Soft velvety 'fer" & "The baby that was you" are worth the price by themselves. Nifty mpeg video for "Like a Duck" included.
on April 16, 2003
This is the Eels, with a few special guests, right? It has all the wit and wonder and children's fairytale darkness that shrouds an Eels release but is more spacey and bounce-y. Does that make any sense? It'd brilliant and moving and weird in the best way.