5.0 out of 5 stars Still more than meets the eye
This is the third box set of the original Transformers series, and the third one I have purchased. Very happy with it.
This is, of course, for the second half of Season 2. I'd actually forgotten how good several of these episodes are until watching them again. Tons of new characters show up, the plotlines get more varied, and there is action at every turn...
Published on May 10 2003 by hardcorekingpin

3.0 out of 5 stars Better Than Part 1
Published on July 24 2003 by Mark Moore

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Season 2 part 2, June 26 2004
Michael S. Smith (Keizer, OR) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Transformers: Season 2, Part 2 (DVD)
You know, this is just about nostalgia, and it's presented here at its best in the DVD format. Watching this 2nd part, has made me realize just how much I forgot, and just how cool some of these episodes really are. As a kid, I wasn't analyzing the stories and characters, now that I'm older it's taken on a different feel. Some episodes are great, well written and animated, others made me think they simply ran out of time, but in all its great stuff to watch.
The DVD presents the episodes as if they are brand new. Though, there arn't any good extra bonus features. I don't know where all the creators are for this great series, but they are either busy, dead or not interested. I'm surprised there isn't more behind the scenes or just more interviews about this epic. Perhaps Rhino just hasn't done its homework?? And though they attempt to add new sounds, it just doesn't work. It passes, sure, but it once again just alters the series. Heck, even the opening number isn't the original! You can actually hear the original on Hasbro's website dedicated to the transformers. Pretty lame. I don't know who said "Hey, lets' change the opening theme song, and add in a bunch of sound effects! They'll love it!" uh. . . no.
Nevertheless, its the series and you get a chunk of them per set, and that is nice. So pick it up, its great, worth the money for 5 DVD's, I loved them, and even now, my toddlers know all the names and love it too. Now if I could just find Thundercats on DVD!

4.0 out of 5 stars season 2 part 2, Feb. 2 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Transformers: Season 2, Part 2 (DVD)
I really like season 2 part 2. The episodes got a lot more creative and had a lot more variety than the earlier ones. The "key to vector sigma", (the concept that explains how Transformers are created) are key episodes to the series and seeing female Tfs, as well as going to space to new found planets are very exciting and innovative. I personally think the new sound effects are cool. I really like season 3 a lot because it is so sci fi and epic, but season 2 has very entertaining interesting personalities. Possibly the most entertaining ones so far. More lighthearted than season 3 but with lots of cool storylines (I think child's play is brilliant). It's nice to also have characters introduced one at at time which the first half of season 2 part 2 does nicely. Transformers usually likes to introduce a 100 characters at once and one of the reasons that the characters are so much fun and more developed I think is because they're introduced on a slower basis. (that goes for the second half of season 2 part 1-if you follow me). Hoist, tracks, warpath, powerglide, seaspray, smokescreen and more each get their own episodes starring only them, with possibly another transformer. They have extreme and fun personalities. The smokescreen episode introduces Defcon a runaway autobot who fled cybertron only to end up on another planet other than earth. (defcon looks like a cross between kup and blurr, but maybe that's me). This is the best season to buy before the movie. It's the most developed and interesting.
I thought tf was animated in america. Any thoughts? what on earth happened to these characters from season 2 part 2 during the movie I have no idea. Some of them you never see again.

3.0 out of 5 stars Better Than Part 1, July 24 2003
Mark Moore (Homosassa, Florida, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Transformers: Season 2, Part 2 (DVD)
These episodes of "The Transformers" ran from 1985 to 1986. I'm not too familiar with all of the aspects of the series. The Season 2 commercial bumpers were used this time, rather than the Season 1 bumpers, but I don't know if all of them were used. There are some white spots on the picture (less than in the episodes on the Part 1 discs, it seems), but this is understandable considering the age of the original master tapes. The extras are nice, but there aren't enough. There are two interviews with G1 writers. I wanted more interviews. I wanted the scripts. I wanted Year 2 toy commercials. Now onto the actual story. The final 25 of the 49 episodes of Season 2 are in this set. They're presented in production order, not original air order. There is less continuity in this set than the previous. Some episodes are out of chronological order. There is one 2-part episode in this set. Most of the characters aren't developed beyond stereotypes. Even though Carly is in only 1 additional episode on this set (2 if you count her few-second, no-line appearance in "Cosmic Rust"), that episode ("Hoist Goes Hollywood") is a delight to watch. Elita-1 and her fellow female Autobots finally appear, but they're too stereotypically girly - unlike Carly. Despite the small Carly offerings, Part 2 of Season 2 is better than Part 1 - due to lack of the Dinobots. They do not appear at all (unless you count the opening and closing title sequences and the Grimlock commercial bumper), and I'm glad! They're so unintelligent, slow-talking, and annoying! Even though this story is about a war, none of the robots are ever destroyed, and none of the humans are ever killed. Still, this is an entertaining cartoon series and worth the purchase, even though it'll probably be cheesier than you remember from childhood. For those of you that missed it when it was on TV, this is your chance to see it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still more than meets the eye, May 10 2003
"hardcorekingpin" (Garland, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Transformers: Season 2, Part 2 (DVD)
There are a great many animation mistakes (voices out of the wrong mouths, Autobots appearing with Decepticons, incorrect coloring, etc) but each and every one of these was present originally, and I remember them well upon seeing them again.
The restoration process did another fine job this time, though a few episodes have a large amount of dirt and dust on the film. This is probably due to the sorry state of storage they had been subjected to over the years, as nobody expected that this series would be as lasting as it has turned out to be.
Keep in mind that the episodes are aired in Production Order, which is not neccessarily the same order they were aired in. This causes the Combaticons, for example, to appear in an episode before the episode where they are created is shown. It also sees several episodes air inbetween two episodes that are a continuation of each other. A minor thing, but enough to be noted.
We still need more special features. At least the interviews this time were with people who worked on the classic series, but I'd still love to see commercials for the old toys and perhaps scenes that got cut from episodes due to time constraints. Maybe even character profiles would be nice, and take up little disc space as well.
Overall, I loved this set, just as I have with the other ones. Some great stuff in this one, reminding me of how I got so into this stuff when it was new. This is lightyears better than ANY Transformers stuff that has followed it, even to the modern day series.
I suppose Season 3 will follow with a set or two, but they feature the post-movie characters, which lose a lot of the charm that the original series has with Optimus Prime and Megatron's almost respectful arch rivalry, and Starscream's desire to overthrow Megatron and gain power of his own. But it will still be a welcome edition, and allow Transformers fans to actually own the entire US series when all is said and done.
Thanks again, Rhino, for bringing one of my favorite things from my youth back to life yet again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Transform and roll out to get this DVD!, May 10 2003
Chisel (Wilmington, NC USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Transformers: Season 2, Part 2 (DVD)
Gotta love the 80's Transformers. They had so much personality and passion in what it was they were doing. The Decepticons relentlessly trying to seal Earth's energy, and the Autobots always stopping them. This set had some of my favorite episodes because it featured more characters in their own stories. David Wise's wussy writing aside, it's great to see Transformers like Tracks, Powerglide, Astrotrain, Blitzwing, and both the Aerilbots and the Stunticons get personalized storylines. And hey not as much Spike, woohoo!
Plus Rhino is finally starting to get it right. Somebody must've belted the bumper guy over the head, because now when they Transform, it's the correct sound effect, and not that silly Go-Bot sound. As with the other disc's, Rhino still feels the need to add in those weird sound effects of their own, which do not and have NEVER fit with the shows, but they don't seem to get that. I wonder if Rhino would ever consider actually hiring Transfans, rather than someone who doesn't care what they sound and look like.
I keep reading people complaining about visual editing mistakes on these episodes, and the funny thing is they're blaming Rhino. Now listen up, I was a big fan of Transformers back in the day, and I am here to tell you that these mistakes were made by Sunbow. My friends and I used to count the number of mistakes in episodes of Transformers growing up. One time we even counted 57 in one episode alone. These were like this when they were first released and while it seems weird that this would happen, I like to think about it as part of the charm of the Transformers. Finding the mistakes in an episode is almost like trying to find that little cat/rat thing in old episodes of She-ra!
The special features always leave a lot to be desired. I love that they're interviewing writers, but I don't like how you never hear the question being asked, and simply have to guess the question based on the response. And let me take this time to say how stupid was it to get the guy who did the RID version of Optimus Prime for an interview in the last set? Um, hello we're talking about the older Transformers, not that silly excuse for a cartoon called RID. Please Rhino, PLEASE give us what we want. Interviews with both Peter Cullen (original Optimus Prime) and Frank Welker (original Megatron and about 12 other Tranformers). I know Frank is probably too busy to be interviewed, but it would be nice to see the faces behind two pivotal characters.
Keep on giving us more Transformers Rhino, and by the way gotta love the interactive menus with the computer graphics of both Optimus Prime and Soundwave.

5.0 out of 5 stars 20 years later --the feeling remains the same!, May 7 2003
This review is from: Transformers: Season 2, Part 2 (DVD)
I never thought my childhood would ever be called, "Retro". Thank you so much Rhino for a pleasant and well deserved reunion with some of my 'best friends' and several great memories. For a period of at least 5-6 years I probably lived & breathed Transformers. (As if the rest of world didn't, huh?) I was about 12 then and it really was a delight to now have my 11 & 9 year old sit and not only watch them them with me, but to hear them say how cool they thought different characters were and pretend to be them. ..**lol**
Transformers -the original- was the Dragonball Z of it's day. There was nothing better. If you're an original fan like myself then you truly will enjoy this without question. If you're young and new to the TF world due to alternate TF shows such as Beast Wars or Armada, then you're sure to appreciate this look at what Transformers REALLY was.
While I do honor Beast Wars far out 3-D animation, and Armada's ..well ...attempt to please a new generation. ...You really don't know until you strip the 'paint' and see it as it really was and was supposed to be. Transformers in it's original presentation really ought not to be judged by things such as new animation technology skills, but instead appreciated as the ball the started it all with all the characters in their original un-altered states. AAAA+

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great Rhino release of The Transformers, April 25 2003
Garrett Aja (North Las Vegas, NV) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Transformers: Season 2, Part 2 (DVD)
The second half of The Transformers' second season is probably the oddest stretch of episodes of the entire series. From the environmentally themed "The Golden Lagoon" to space-faring episodes like "Child's Play" and the episodes with the gestalts (or combiners, if you will), there's a lot of variety here.
The episodes are again restored in fine fashion, although there's a few more moments in this set (as opposed to the last) where Rhino had to borrow from the broadcast masters due to re-takes. The commercial bumpers are now the "correct" Season 2 ones featuring newer characters like Cosmos and Thrust. The sound is also re-done like the other two sets, and is again excellent.
The Special Features, which consist of interviews with writer/associate producer/story editor Flint Dille and writer Buzz Dixon, are great, and both certainly deliniate the series' shift from the lighter episodes of Season 1 to the darker, more mature fare of Season 3, while providing further insight about how cartoons were made during the '80s, and how Sunbow helped to change that for the better.
Without doubt, this set is worth every penny, and Rhino should definitely consider releasing all of the Sunbow series (TF, G.I. Joe, Jem, The Inhumanoids, The Visionaries, and so on) on DVD ASAP.

5.0 out of 5 stars More...Much More Than Meets the Eye!, April 22 2003
Philip Gipson (Dayton, Ohio United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Transformers: Season 2, Part 2 (DVD)
Rhino Entertainment has done it again! The "Transformers: Season 2: Part 2" DVD box set is out now. The final 25 episodes in the second season of Sunbow-Marvel Productions' "Transformers: Generation 1" cartoon show are on each disc. (The fourth disc contains interviews with Sunbow animators Buzz Dixon and Flint Dille.) Each episode is remastered from the original 35mm tapes and in Dolby Digital 5.1 audio. What's strange is that the Dinobots aren't even in this second half of the season, allowing the rest of the 1985 Transformers to have more screen attention. One of them, the Autobot Skids, is seen in only two episodes. That is downright wrong! He would've been given as much attention as the other year-2 TFs. The introductions of even more new Transformers (the Stunticons, Aerialbots, Combaticons, and Protectobots) are truly amazing. I like that. It was real nice of Sunbow, who introduced some pre-'85 TFs in season 1. I would love to get this excellent box set, because it's the best there is! It's truly "more than meets the eye"!

5.0 out of 5 stars Transformers Season 2 Part 2, March 22 2003
Joecooler2u "Joe" (Wernersville, Pennsylvania United States) - See all my reviews
The God Gambit
Kremzeek!
Starscream's Brigade
The Revenge of Bruticus
B.O.T.
I must say I was a bit disappointed with Season 2 part one. The one episode was completely unwatchable because it kept freezing up so I ended up taking it back to exchange it only the store didnt have any copies so I am still without season two part one but will eventually buy it again. I am looking forward to season 2 part 2 even more because I loved the episode about Omega Supreme and he seems to be in more episodes here. I am a big Omega fan. Also the Key To Vector Sigma episodes have the introduction to the Aerialbots which are also among my favorite autobots.
Golden Lagoon is one of my favorite all-time episodes. It was just good fun but also with a good message. The animation during this season was fantastic. The first season was well animated but this season was awesome with Omega Supreme and some of my favorite autobots taking the spotlight. I wished the Transformers focused more on two of my favorite autobots Sideswipe and Sunstreaker.
Optimus Prime is of course my favorite and displayed his leadership abilities at all times. If you planned to buy only one season so far I recommend season one but if you planned to buy two I recommend season one and season two part 2.
I can't wait for future seasons though so I can see hot rod and rodimus prime on dvd. I highly recommend this season though. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, I can complete season 2!, March 18 2003
This review is from: Transformers: Season 2, Part 2 (DVD)
Finally, the other half of season 2 has arrived. The best of the series is all here too! The episodes in part 2 are:
The God Gambit
Kremzeek!
Starscream's Brigade
The Revenge of Bruticus
B.O.T.
Some of the episodes, while maintaining a tone of mere humourousness and just there for entertainment, such as: Make Tracks, The Autobot Run. Many of these episodes do too serve a purpose to tell us more about the characters and presenting us with changes that will effect things in the transformers universe entirely. This is definately the time in the series where Transformers was not a kids show anymore, but it became a true sci-fi series with many great characters with all differing personalities. Even more surprises are to come when Season 3 gets here!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Transformers: Season 2, Part 2
Transformers: Season 2, Part 2 by Norm McCabe (DVD - 2003)
CDN$ 109.99 CDN$ 95.99