5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Beautiful
Published on May 22 2004 by Stephen G.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very beautiful
This movie was very nice. It was often slow...and the main character's (Jaime) family are the only characters that are developed. The only problem is that they are the normal ones. His friend Ste is commonly bruised and is taken in by Jaime's mom for a night. We know why...but we don't know anything about the people involved. The homosexual relationship seems a bit...
Published on March 8 2002 by compustrat

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Beautiful, May 22 2004
Stephen G. (Oklahoma City, OK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beautiful Thing (Widescreen) [Import] (DVD)
I can't count the number of times I've read a magazine article about this movie, how many times I'd scoured the movie rental places for it in high school, how many times I'd almost bought it online... but never did get my hands on it until recently. It may be hard to find, but it is well worth the search. This is the best coming-of-age movie I've seen --I connected with it and each of the characters on more than one level-- and I was delighted to find that the usual stereotypes are no where to be found in this movie. And on top of that, no sex scenes or anything else you might not want to show your mother.
The story has been summarized in many of the other 250 or so reviews, so I won't do that here. But I will urge you to get this movie and watch it -- it will touch you and be beneficial whether you are just coming to terms with being gay, if you're out and completely fine with yourself, or if your kid or friend has just come out to you. Even if you don't know many gay people, watch this movie and see what you think. It deserves all the awards, recognition, and reputation that is has. I only wish I had seen it sooner (and that other people had seen this before I had to come out to them!).
This is a British film, so expect more rough language than you'd see if it had been made in the U.S... I'd also recommend using the Closed Caption to keep from getting a bit confused from the language differences (for instance, I thought Ste had said he was Naked when it made no sense ... ends up he had said Knackered... sleepy I guess LOL).
Whether you rent it or buy it, find some way to see this movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Thing, July 25 2008
This review is from: Beautiful Thing (Widescreen) [Import] (DVD)
This is a brilliant, feel-good film for any hopeless romantic. The characters are adorable in an ordinary sort of way and the story is a little sad in some spots but makes you feel really good in the end. As corny as the word is, this is a "heartwarming" story and it will make you cheer for Jamie and Ste in the end. Loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars How Can You Not Love It?, Jan. 16 2007
K. Wakewich "Funguy" (Thunder Bay, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beautiful Thing (Widescreen) [Import] (DVD)
I haven't seen this movie for years, since my VHS days, but just had to order a copy on DVD. I don't want to say much about this movie, but it is one of my all time fave gay drama movies, and I ain't no drama fan! It's definetly in my top 3 of gay DVD's, I dare you to watch it and not find it touching, and not in a sucky way,but in a BEAUTIFUL way! Sorry I am not some suck, you just have to see this movie. Peace!

5.0 out of 5 stars What is called "BEAUTIFUL", Oct. 18 2006
This review is from: Beautiful Thing (Widescreen) [Import] (DVD)
No wonder so many people rate it a 5-star movie. I would rather give it five thumbs if I had five! The feeling of "Beautiful" -real beautiful- stayed with me for days after watching this movie!!!

Highly highly highly....highly recommend!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Script, Beautiful Performances, Sept. 5 2006
Dave and Joe (Toronto, Ontario) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Beautiful Thing (Widescreen) [Import] (DVD)
It seems redundant to write a review of this film ... what can I say that a couple of hundred other people haven't already said. Nothing. Except, this film made me nostaligic for the teenaged years I didn't have ... I watched this film, the first time, for me - the 53 year old guy and loved it all -- Mama Cass, the Characters, the Writing. I reveled in it. Then I watched it again, for me - the teen from a small town - and reveled in different things - the hope, the courage, and the power of being authentic - Beautiful is too plain a word for what this film attempts to do, powerful is too weak a word for what this film accomplishes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Falling In Love, July 19 2004
David W. Galloway (Seattle, WA. United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beautiful Thing (Widescreen) [Import] (DVD)
Falling in love, having someoneto love, someone who loves you.It just doesn't GET any betterthan this. A special treasure.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must See and A Must Have, March 4 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Beautiful Thing (Widescreen) [Import] (DVD)
This film deserves six stars. It is more than a story about two men falling in love. It is just a wonderful love story. It is very sincere without being sickening and very sensual without being overtly provocative.
Buy two. One for yourself and one for someone you care about.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very beautiful thing, March 1 2004
This review is from: Beautiful Thing (Widescreen) [Import] (DVD)
I wish they had had this film and play when I was younger. The story of Jamie, his family, his love and his difference is very powerful. The central character Jamie is in the process of coming out, and has an infatuation that deepens into love with his nextdoor neighbor and friend Ste. Jamie's life is a bit of a shambles given his mother (a single mother) who has a flighty but sincere boyfriend. Jamie's mother only wants the best for him, which is a far cry from Ste's family, headed by a single father, which also includes an abusive brother.
The dynamics of life in the government housing unit (called council housing there) is interesting, as all people have hopes but lowered expectations about what life can bring them; this is very much a teenager angst movie, and even the adults seem to be into it.
Jamie's mother should be a member of PFLAG, being at first shocked, but then very supportive. Ste's father and brother fall into line with the typical homophobic types. The rest of the world seems blissfully unaware of the major life events taking place, which in reality makes this film very realistic.
This is not a deep film, but it isn't really superficial either. It is honest and sincere in expressing the emotions and situations of the characters without making them cartoon cut-outs or political objects. But in the end, the message is political of a sort, and that is that we all have the freedom to run our own lives, including who we love.
This is beautiful.

5.0 out of 5 stars A better depiction on what a good gay relationship is..., Feb. 26 2004
Brandon M Gardiner (Kennesaw, Georgia United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beautiful Thing (Widescreen) [Import] (DVD)
THIS MOVIE IS A GREAT MOVIE FOR ALL GAY PEOPLE TO WATCH TO REMIND THEM OF WHAT THEY SHOULD BE LOOKING FOR IN A RELATIONSHIP. EVEN IF YOU ARE IN A RELATIONSHIP, THIS MOVIE SERVES AS A REMINDER TO FOCUS ON WHAT IS IMPORTANT. THIS MOVIE IS ALSO A GREAT MOVIE FOR STRAIGHT PEOPLE WHO DO NOT KNOW THAT MUCH ABOUT THE GAY RELATIONSHIPS...IT SHOWS THEM HOW POWERFUL THE LOVE BETWEEN TWO MEN CAN BE. A MUCH BETTER DEPICTION OF THE GAY SOCIETY AS OPPOSED TO QUEER AS FOLK WITH NOTHING EXCEPT DRUGS, ALCHOHOL, AND SEX SEX SEX!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars it's a beautiful thing, Feb. 15 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Beautiful Thing (Widescreen) [Import] (DVD)
i saw this movie a couple of weeks ago and i can say i've been completely touched by it. i no longer see homosexual relationships as "physical relationships". I also got from the movie what Jamie and Ste have is a very deep and sexless relationship, i mean, they had sex but that is not its foundation. i think i speak for a lot of BT fans that we would've liked twenty or thirty minutes extra so things would've developed a little further -i'm talking about the end. i'm might also be talking nonsense, but why not make BT a tv serie? i know some other characters must be further developed but i think it would be a very watched serie. i mean, if The Bill has been on telly since the 1980's, why this not? if this was a juggernut, then take full advantage of it despite of overexposure !! i mean,look at the spice girls!! they were everywhere you looked at!! two years were enough for the fab five.

ARRAY(0xaf4afaec)

Beautiful Thing (Widescreen) [Import]
Beautiful Thing (Widescreen) [Import] by Hettie Macdonald (DVD - 2003)
CDN$ 25.84 CDN$ 25.45