5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful in every aspect.
If you look around the case/box/what-have-you before viewing the DVD, you'll find yourself nearly bombarded by quotes of praise from magazines and, if I'm not mistaken, anime critics. What they say can be summed up as follows: Watch it. It's good.
I agree.
Published on July 15 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars A re-modified Rayearth tale...
First of all, the Rayearth OAV/OVA's ARE NOT related to the actual series. This is just a different story with the Rayearth characters, heence the title 'Rayearth' instead of 'Magic Knight Rayearth.'
Published on May 17 2003 by ekeindigo

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful in every aspect., July 15 2003
I agree.
Not related to the MKR series and, as properly stated on the back cover, BASED on the manga by CLAMP, the story follows Hikaru, Umi, and Fuu on one of the days before their graduation from junior high school. The girls had once made a wish under a cherry tree in which, according to legend, there lived a fairy who granted wishes. This fairy is Mokona, and ones it (the dub has made it a sort of point, both here and in MKR, that Mokona is a he) descends from the branches, the wish -- referred to as Hikaru's wish -- begins to come true.
Unlike MKR, there are no pauses for humor because there is no time for it. Cephiro's Spirit Beast Tamers arrive on Earth for the "divine test", a concept that's rather hard to grasp. (But the desire to learn what everything is is just one of the hooks of this gripping story.) Drama soars high, and with a soundtrack like the one here, you can't NOT be captivated. The mecha battles are stunning. The animation is spectacular, much better than in MKR and MKR 2. This OAV/OVA/what-have-you is incredible, and I simply must state once more how amazing the animation is. The colors, the music, characters, the light, the story -- they all weave into one epic tale. It's breathtaking.
I watched the dub first (with the subtitles), having liked the MKR dub so much. I don't speak Japanese, but the dub script and the subtitles hardly contradict each other. The dub voice artists aren't the ones from MKR/MKR 2 (sadly, since now Ascot sounds a little un-cute and it's much harder to tell the girls apart), but it's tolerable. I enjoyed it. However, the complaints I have pertain to the English dub.
Why Alcyone was given a possessed-type double voice is beyond me, since is NOT present in the original Japanese track. Also, I find it annoying that the dub voice actors (and, quite possibly, the directors) seem to think it utterly necessary that ALL mouth movements MUST be filled in with a vocal. Dub!Fuu's, "Ah, Sinos!" makes me cringe. We understand that in order to yell something you must *breathe in*. And be prepared for name changes. Umi is now "Umi Ryuzaku" and Fuu becomes "Fu (one u) Hooji" (yes, WHO-gee). Hikaru, whose last name used to be pronounced "Shi-DOU" is now pronounced "SHI-dou". (Note: If you look at the "Cephiro Chronicles" bit, everything is spelled correctly. Ironic, yes?)
Those were minor points that don't really cut into the story. It may or may not make you cry, but, if nothing else, you WILL be impressed. Highly recommended!

3.0 out of 5 stars A re-modified Rayearth tale..., May 17 2003
"ekeindigo" (Basking Ridge, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rayearth (DVD)
While MKR, like almost every other anime series, is rated 13+, i would probably rate the OAV's something like for ages 15+, since there is more blood, and the battles are more violent, and overall it's just "darker" than the normal anime. Fortunately for most viewers, the amount of blood flow isn't quite enough to make the average human (whether they watch anime or not) feel the urge to regurgitate. (If you're the sort of person who actually enjoys watching highly violent shonen anime, I suggest you take a look at the Rurouni Kenshin OAV's, which are EXTREMELY bloody- and I'm not the only person who thinks that.)
There are quite a few minor kinks changed in the OAV. The three girls know each other and are best friends in the same school. Hikaru is the captain of the gymnastics team, Umi plays tennis, and Fuu is skilled with the piano. Also, Hikaru's machin is Lexus, and I think Rayearth is supposed to be the combined power of the three mashin or something.
The OAV's artwork is first-rate, with lots of detail and more appealing characters, but it was all over in 3 episodes, so everything is kind of rushed... The characters that formerly looked childlike are re-drawn to look older (such as Clef and Emeraude).Also, the mashin stuff was, um, altered a bit.
Overall, it's a very pretty OAV to watch, but it's not something that I enjoyed immensely, probably because I saw it with Chinese subtitles, and I'm very poor with reading Chinese characters. I just didn't think it was anything really special. Of course, others might disagree, so you should obtain numerous opinions before deciding whether or no to buy the Rayearth OAV/OVA.

3.0 out of 5 stars Based on a story by CLAMP, May 3 2003
M. Hammond (San Diego, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rayearth (DVD)
This appears to be one of those re-workings of a popular title like the Revolutionary Girl Utena movie or the various Tenchi's tweaking the story as it goes along. Ascot's in mini-version as he was in the 1st Rayearth & fights against the girls who are not Magic Knights when the story starts. Ferio fights against the girls beside Ascot & Alcyone while Lantis is on neither side--he's fighting to avenge his brother (Yeah, Zagato's dead already.......No!) Eagle & Emeraude are brother & sister wreaking havok on the dimension they've invaded. Mage Clef looks older than ever--closer to Ferio than the boy-mage from the story.
I was so shocked at all the conversions I didn't (couldn't?) pay attention to all the details, but Rayearth is a place, not the mashin so the mashin Rayearth has obviously been renamed, but I forget what. The English dub is scary, although appropriate, I suppose, since good guys are bad guys so I guess we shouldn't expect Ferio & Ascot to sound the same. I didn't see LaFarge, Caldina, or anyone from Rayearth 2 beyond Lantis & Eagle.
In this alternate reality Cephiro was crumbling due to the sins of its people so the high priest was called on to provide the ultimate sacrifice to try to correct things, but Emeraude loved him & cannot acccept what happened so Eagle, using the people of Cephiro who love the Princess, invades the world Hikari, Fuu & Umi live in.
It's CLAMP, so it's easy on the eyes. The Based on bit is the warning it's not the Rayearth we are familiar with from the manga or the 2 series.

4.0 out of 5 stars A video no MKR Fan can resist seeing!, March 15 2002
I loved the entire MKR series, so i just had to see the three OAVs. This of course is the first volume out of three. They continue where the other has left off. The three volumes are actually like three parters. If you choose to check out this video let me warn you about a few things though. First off, OAV is nothing like the manga or anime. It's a completely different story line. This first volume focues more so on Hikaru and her getting her ovum jewel.
The three girls: Fuu, Umi, and Hikaru are best friends attending school but none of them are magic knights. The girls are about to graduate from school and part their separate ways. Each are going to go to different high schools in different parts of Japan, so the likelihood of seeing each other again is very slim. Hikaru is majorly distressed by this and decides to make a wish to the cherry blossom fairy(Mokona). This is where all the action begins... The mage Clef shows up in Tokyo, seeking the aide of the three girls to stop the evil Prince Eagle from merging the dying world of Cephiro with Tokyo. (See what i mean when i say different storyline).
As soon as the movie begins you'll notice major differences when you compare it too the anime series. The animation colors are not as bright and brilliant, they're a bit more subdued. This adds to a darker feel to the OAV. The music also is a lot different then in the series. Don't expect any of those TRA-LA-LA melodies. The girls are also a bit older and more mature acting. Same goes for the voice acting. Their not as squeaky and high pitched. Almost all the characters are in the movie, but their roles and personalities are somewhat changed. Expect to see a return of the childlike bratty Ascot, a much more menancing Ferio, Alycone is still a witch, and Eagle is just plain mean. Oh and hey, Emeraude is alive!
...
The plot, itself, is a bit muddled and not as fully developed as in the series. One thing I didn't like was the lack of the hand-to-hand swordplay that i've come to love seeing (no swords, weapons, or magic spells). The girls strictly use their rune gods, which are no longer robotic looking. Their more like animal spirits that interwine with the girls. The video ends leaving you hanging, wondering whether or not Hikaru survives a battle with Alcyone in her rune god. Summing it all up, I, personally, enjoyed this little twist to the MKR series. It was different but i have to say i still prefer the anime.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ok ok, my memory's rusty but......., Aug. 1 2001
Roxi (America, Earth ...any questions? no? good. *wink*) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rayearth 2 [Import] (VHS Tape)
Honestly, I haven't watched my copies of 1,2, or 3 for a while now. They all seemed to flow into each other, as if there wasn't a pause between episodes. Perhaps that's what I liked about it! I don't know about any one else, but the "what happened last time" drove me crazy in the episode style.*grin* The plot in this set reminds me of a "what if"...what if something that every Ray fan takes in as simple truth(eg: my response to Lantis's appearance: "Aren't you a little early, fella?" ) is twisted in some fashion? How does this affect the plot? How does this twist affect the characters and the ultimate ending? Would I be asking crazy questions if the answer wasn't yes? probably not. *grin* Needless to say, I found it interesting. It's fun to watch ( I think I bit my nails more than usual during this "section" if I may call it) and it takes you on its own plot twists, not too different, but different enough from the first plot line to captivate your attention. I only hope there is more of this section to come...dare I ask? *grin*

4.0 out of 5 stars Rayearth Different Than Expected, Dec 30 2000
By A Customer
In the past I have read some of the Magic Knight Rayearth comics, so I purchased this video hoping to find an animated form of what I had read. However, I discovered that this is not along the same storyline, only it has the same characters (Umi, Fuu, and Hikaru.) I watched this video, almost always confused because the people in Magic Knight Rayearth that were good seem to be evil in this version. If you have read or seen the Magic Knight Rayearth series, this video may be confusing to you like it was to me, but if you are the #1 fan of Magic Knight Rayearth and can't get enough or if you have never seen anything to do with Magic Knight Rayearth, then I would reccommend this movie to you. The animation is excellent and the character named Mokona is adorable, and a great relief from Pikachu. Mokona is a 'fairy' that resides in a cherry blossom tree that Hikaru, Umi, and Fuu made a wish under. After that wish, the three friends find out that they must save the world with special dieties belonging to them. If you don't understand what is going on at the beginnig of Rayearth, the story gives you little hints throughout. If you are a true Magic Knight Rayearth or anime fan, this would be a video to see.

5.0 out of 5 stars The birth of Rayearth, Sept. 13 2000
The main dilemma in the OAV is that the land of Cephiro is slowly but steadily materializing into the real world of Tokyo because of the powerful magic of Princess Emeraude, Eagle Vision, and Zagato. This meeting of the two conflicting dimensions is causing tremendous upheaval, particularly on Earth, in the form of earthquakes. Guru Clef and Lantis are determined to stop them by finding the Magic Knights who have the power to prevent the impending cataclysm. In a junior high school, Hikaru Shidou was waiting for her friends under an Oriental cherry tree in the campus garden. It is rumored that a fairy resides in the tree and that she has the power to grant wishes. You could just imagine Hikaru's surprise when, after a strong quake, Mokona falls out of the tree. As Hikaru ran after Mokona (not realizing that a magical gem called an "ovum" has materialized on the back of her hand), she was followed by her two best friends: Umi Ryuuzaki and Fuu Hououji. Suddenly, the three girls were trapped and transported by a powerful force to Tokyo Tower where they saw, for the first time, a grown-up Guru Clef. Hikaru, in particular, was being guided by a mysterious voice who told her that she and her friends could prevent the destruction of Earth if they could pass the tests so that they could summon the Mashin Gods. In the meantime, Guru Clef was waging a losing battle against the witch Alcyone, who was bent on destroying him and Tokyo Tower (which is the real world incarnation of the Royal Palace of Cephiro). Though our heroines went to aid the wounded Guru Clef, they were no match against Alcyone who was now merged with her cat Mashin. Just as things seemed hopeless, Hikaru's mysterious benefactor finally revealed himself to be the red lion Mashin god, Lexus. Before the Palace of Cephiro could appear in place of Tokyo Tower, Lexus merged with Hikaru and, together, they temporarily stopped the powerful spell and defeated Alcyone. But it was not without a price, however. Lexus' energy has been depleted and he has to return to his dimension to recharge himself until Hikaru learns how to use her own magic to augment his. Hikaru herself was wounded but Lantis came and wrapped her up in his cloak.

5.0 out of 5 stars This destroys the TV series., Feb. 10 2001
Fake (Salem, Or) - See all my reviews
I must say when I first bought this I didn't know exactly what to expect. I had heard this had no connection whatsoever to the TV series. It doesn't. And that is good. Though I love the TV series, I feel it isn't serious enough. This one makes up for that. Many of the characters roles are very different than in the TV series. The main chars are still the Three girls: Fuu, Hikaru, and Umi. The character design in this anime is the best I have ever seen. And I usually do not pay too much attention to that. But I was blown away at how great they looked. The music in this is GREAT! I loved it. The dubbing in this okay. It is definately better than the dubbing for the TV series. ( Which is awful.) The fight scenes in this are very well done. They are a bit more violent than in the TV series too. Again I think that is good. I think it is great that they made a totally different story using the exact same characters from the TV series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great OAV, July 23 2003
This review is from: Rayearth (DVD)
Ok, well I've only seen the first and third episode(with Chinese subtitles) but I can tell you this is really awesome. I love the anime series and the OAV is just as good, it might have been better if it was longer. The art has been fixed, and looks amazing, and the background music is wonderful. One of the things that confused me, however, was that Clef and Eagle look rather alike in this. But it's just one of those times when they look the same at first but as you watch it they become completely different, so that is not too bad. They kind of changed Lantis's look and now he looks like Tamahome(from Fushigi Yuugi) which is rather annoying, and what happens in the third episode is even more so, but the great series itself makes up for it(I guess.) If you're the kind of person who likes violence and blood, you'll love the battles and the beginning of the third episode(my favorite part!).

4.0 out of 5 stars Hmm..., May 23 2003
Silena Buckelew "Lady Multi" (Albertville, AL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rayearth (DVD)
Well, all MK Rayearth things are cool. This is weird, sorta. The Manga is still better.
One of the...uh...gwa..."Rune Gods" (can't remember that Japanese term.) name has been changed. Hikaru's gaurdian is "Lexus" I belive...it's still not the same.
Clef looks better. Eagel needs mental help. Lantis is...basically the same. Zagato is...well...dead. Ascot is still cute (they changed the color of his outfit. ^-^) Ferio is more of a pain in the *** sine he fights against them. Alcyone is...well...the same, in a sense.
My MK Rayearth rankings:
1: MKR Magna (Direct from CLAMP's minds, of course.)
2: MKR TV Season 1 (Yeah...it's BASED on the Manga by CLAMP)
3: Rayearth OVA (Screwed up; twisted revamp of the story. Still cool.)
4: MKR TV Season 2 (Yet again BASED on the Magna; THEY CHANGED IT TOO MUCH FROM THE MANGA!)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Rayearth
Rayearth by Toshihiro Hirano (DVD - 2005)
CDN$ 92.85