5.0 out of 5 stars This Got Under my Skin...
Published on Jan. 27 2004 by pattiegreeneyes

3.0 out of 5 stars A Film That Tried to Be More Than Just an Indie
Published on Nov. 21 2003 by Armando M. Mesa

2.0 out of 5 stars It's different -- but in a pretentious and boring way, Feb. 23 2010
Daniel Jolley "darkgenius" (Shelby, North Carolina USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Nemesis Game [Import] (DVD)
Personally, I hate riddles - but the characters in this movie certainly love them. College student Sara Novak (Carly Pope) spends her nights wandering through seedy parts of town trying to solve riddles/puzzles assigned to her by her own little riddle guru, comic book store owner Vern (Adrian Paul). It's all fun and games of course (well, games, anyway - I can't say any of it was fun) until someone gets hurt (or violently murdered). It turns out that there's a much bigger game in town, one that promises enlightenment to whoever makes his/her way to the end. Ultimate insight into the Design is not easily won, however - this is a most dangerous game.

Vern is none too happy to discover that Sara has started playing the Nemesis game, ostensibly because players either end up dead or stark raving mad (even the winners). If ever there were a game where nobody really wins, it's this one. As if the whole concept of the Nemesis game isn't bad enough, watching Sara and Vern go about their riddle-obsessed lives is torturously boring. The only halfway interesting person in the entire film is one of Sara's classmates who (for reasons I can't fathom) actually finds the young lady mysterious and intriguing, to the point that he is determined to find out what she does at night - the poor dope apparently has no life whatsoever.

Maybe this film is meant to serve as a larger metaphor for life - or maybe there's no meaning whatsoever to take away from it. Personally, I'm going with the latter choice. With its depressing atmosphere, uninteresting characters, convoluted plot, rather flimsy premise (to my way of thinking), and hackneyed ending, Nemesis Game never succeeded at pulling me in to its cinematic world. Some may find it to be an interesting, thinking person's film, but I found the whole experience pretentious at best. Even if you're one of the lucky ones who actually find something stimulating in this whole ordeal, the ending is likely to leave you feeling cheated. I really don't think your average horror fan is going to enjoy Nemesis Game very much at all; this is really much more of a psychological suspense thriller (with very little suspense and almost no thrills).

5.0 out of 5 stars This Got Under my Skin..., Jan. 27 2004
"pattiegreeneyes" (Rochester, New York United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nemesis Game [Import] (DVD)
I Love Adrian Paul and I believe that he is beneath his acting ability in the choices he is making in the movie choices he is making. I have followed him since his fancy role as Highlander in the 90's ms. Pope is also a wonderful actress I have seen her work before on tv and in small parts in movies and think they should both reach higher, but they gave this movie the credability it needed and kept me on the edge of my seat. I searched every where to find out about this story since at the end they gave a record of everyones outcome I believed it was a TRUE story laugh if you like but desperate people do desperate things and I was obsessed with finding out if this story was true or not... needless to say I couldn't find anything to verify the story, but that is how much it got to me, and I know the abrutness annoyed alot of people, but that is what really got to me the most because that is life folks, things don't drag out till you get your happy ending all the time do they, the car hits a tree, the fire burns out of control, someone hits your cat. it's over. Period. And I think that is why we were all so shook up and left so mouth hanging open and stunned by the real life of it all. TY isn't supposed to give us that. It's supposed to give us an nice happy ending in about 30 min. and send us off feeling like we've just taken a valium and all is right with the world WAKE UP...Life Is Everywhere Even In the Idiot Box...

3.0 out of 5 stars A Film That Tried to Be More Than Just an Indie, Nov. 21 2003
Armando M. Mesa (Chandler, AZ) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nemesis Game [Import] (DVD)
After viewing this flick I had this sense that there was more to it than meets the eye or cerebral cortex...Nope. Is it entertaining and mind boggling? To a certain degree. Just don't get your hopes up. The only thing the quick and abrupt ending accomplishes is leaving the viewer cheated; Not because there should be a neat tidy happy ending but because literally the ending will have you saying "what the..."
A college girl pals around with a comic/video/music/book store owner played by Higlander's (tv series) Adrian Paul. Vern and Sara keep each other company by playing and solving riddles. However, they soon become involved in a series of deadly riddles left and led by a mysterious source. If the riddles or series of them are solved then the winner hits the jackpot by seeing what the enigmatic "design" or meaning is behind them---"see the big picture" routine (meaning of life? our universal existence? the murders? who really cares). Unfortunately, people get killed as part of the "design" and for some odd reason those who have played the game end up going nutso (or are nutso to begin with) and confessing to the murders.Unfortunately, once the viewer finds out or doesn't really find out why the killings take place (other than to continue what was started by an ancient Buddhist monk,a.k.a Nemesis) there really is nothing deep or shocking...
Also, why is it then whenever some people see an indie film they always have to read too deep into it or rave about it's greatness. When a film is bad or lacks something, it's because it is bad and lacks something...I too enjoy indie films. But, just like your mainstream Hollywood stuff some indie films cannot always escape from the fact that it was bad or lacking. Nemesis Game is not the worst I have seen and is not the best.
Paul can act but he keeps pretty much low keyed these days with these low budget Canadian productions. Carly Pope does an amazing job with what she was given. But she could have gone further given more intense or intellectually stimulating material...
3 stars for great acting and a plot or story that started out with great promise but...well, you decide.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great concept, weak ending..., Oct. 31 2003
This review is from: Nemesis Game [Import] (DVD)
The idea behind this movie is very cool... that there is a "design" or pattern to every single thing that happens in life and that it is possible to "see" this design and your place within it by solving certain riddles.
Sara and Vern are both particularly anxious to find this hidden design because they are both people who have suffered horrible losses in life and who want desperately to find some "reason" for these disasters. This obsessive need to understand/find the design leads them into this bizarre world of hidden riddles and seemingly random murders. And once they get pulled into it, there's no getting out.
There's a lot to like about this movie. It's clever, well acted, and it moves along at a good pace. The problem is that the ending is much too abrupt and doesn't really answer any of the questions that have been set up. Mind you, a certain degree of ambiguity at the end of a movie is fine... sometimes it's best to end a story without a pat resolution to everything that's happened. But in this particular case, it isn't a feeling of ambiguity so much as a sense that the writer of the film didn't really know where to go with it. It just ends...
For those who appreciate a cerebral thriller, "Nemesis Game" is a perfectly entertaining 90 minutes. There's a lot to like about this movie; just don't expect too much. It's good, but it falls short of what it could have been.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Quality, July 10 2003
This review is from: Nemesis Game [Import] (DVD)
Nemesis Game is a smart "indie" thriller, with more-than"indie" qualities. It is the story of a young woman, Sara Novak, who is a college student. Sara (Carly Pope) spends her time at a shop with Vern (Adrian Paul). At this shop Vern and Sara play games and solve riddles. That is the basic premise of Nemesis Game.
The acting in Nemesis Game is amazing. Carly Pope is great in this film. Her facial expressions add a lot to the character. Adrian Paul, who I have never seen in anything before, is also a fine actor. He plays the character of Vern very well. Rena Owen plays the insane murderer, Emily Gray. Rena takes this film to a whole new level. Her character is so in depth that I can't picture anyone else playing it. Brendan Fehr is also great, playing the mysterious "skateboarder," but his character has much more to do with the film. Ian McShane is also great as Sara's dad. The supporting cast (including: Jay Baruchel and Vanessa Guy) are also great. I do not think this film could have been better cast. The people in charge of casting this film did a wonderful job.
Jesse Warn, first time film director, directed Nemesis Game. He did a wonderful job. He also wrote the screenplay, which is so amazing. I think a director cares more about a film, and how it turns out when they write the script. The producers of this film also do an amazing job.
The plot of Nemesis Game plays out very well. So many things that you see in the beginning of the film do not seem important, but later in the film they will play a key role. The plot also has its share of twists, and that is always great in a film. You can never guess what will happen next, and you will probably even have a hard time guessing the answers to the many riddles used in the movie. Nemesis Game has the ability to keep you "on the edge of your seat" with suspense.
I would recommend this film to anyone who wants to see a great thriller, or just a good movie in general. The DVD also includes "the making of Nemesis Game," The Nemesis Game trailer, full-length commentary by the director and one of the producers, English and Spanish subtitles, trailers for two other great Lions Gate films, and it is presented in widescreen format, which I usually do not like, but the format makes Nemesis Game all the more exiting. If you do not see this film, you must be crazy. I give Nemesis Game 10 out of 10 stars (**********).

5.0 out of 5 stars Smart Ceberal thriller, June 21 2003
David Blackwell (Montana, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nemesis Game [Import] (DVD)
I rented the NEMESIS GAME DVD last week and I can say it is one of the best thrillers I have ever watched. It revolves around a shy college student, Sara Novak(Carly Pope), and Vern Stevens(Adrian Paul) who is an older guy who works at a comic book/riddle shop. Sara and Vern have a passion for games and riddles. Sara and Vern get involved in a game of the riddles that will eventually lead to the answer to the design of the universe. One of Sara's fellow students ends up dead and Sara (and Vern) get deeper into the Nemesis Game. The movie also stars Rena Owen (as Emily Grey who tried to kill a 12 year old boy because it was part of the design), Brendan Fehr, and Ian McShane as Detective Jeff Novak. The ending is a surprise in this well shot movie done by first time film director Jesse warn (who has directed music videos in new Zeland). This is a well acted movie that features one of the best performances Adrian Paul has given as an actor. The music score is moody too.
If you're looking for a good independent thriller that makes you think, buy it. If you're an Adrian Paul fan, buy it. I intend to buy this DVD soon because it is a good movie.

4.0 out of 5 stars nifty film that tries too hard, but is still interesting, Nov. 30 2003
This review is from: Nemesis Game [Import] (DVD)
This film has to have one of the most irritating beginning. IT plays a about two minutes and credits break in. Well some films do that. But this KEEPS doing that. Once it finally gets past that, you have a nice small film, but it tries to tell you it's a smart film, no show you. It's well acted with Ian McShane as a police inspector, with a daughter in school named Sara. Sara plays games with a video store owner, Highlander's Adrian Paul. But then someone ups the stakes of their games...
The abrupt ending hurt the film, but all in all a very enjoyable effort - and hey, I would watch anything with McShane in it!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, so it's not as bad as I thought it would be., Dec 8 2003
A. Trotter (New Hampshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nemesis Game [Import] (DVD)
It reminded me of Hellraiser. Only without the boxes, or Pinhead; same theme in a way. The dangers of obsession with solving things.
It was very good untill the ending. Definitely a rental, that you can pause to catch the riddles written on the walls. I liked the riddles, and the cinematography. And the idea of the game. I liked the movie in general.
I liked that Google.com was in it (in a very small, supporting role).
I was going to say it was a good idea poorly designed; but that's just a play on the movie, and not really fair. It was well designed, just with a somewhat lame ending. Oh well...

3.0 out of 5 stars Good movie ruined by a bad ending, May 16 2004
This review is from: Nemesis Game [Import] (DVD)
It beat my expectations I can say that much. Actually I thought it was really good while I was watching it, I was very interested in the story line and how it would end. BUT unfortunately they go ahead and ruin it with basically no ending. You are left with too many questions. It just leaves you hanging, which would be fine if they were planning on making a sequel, but we know thats not happening. So I have it at 3 stars, I took a star off because of the ending.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Movie, July 15 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Nemesis Game [Import] (DVD)
Why wasnt this in theatres? I cant believe that one of the cleverest thrillers around didnt make it to theatres.
Directed by new comer, Jesse Warn, Nemesis Game is a film that will keep you on the edge of your seat and have you thinking long after the final credits have rolled.
I have seen some bad reviews for this film. Dont listen to them, they are morons. This is a classic (a cult classic in fact) pure and simple.

Nemesis Game [Import]
Nemesis Game [Import] by Jesse Warn (DVD - 2003)
CDN$ 17.09