5.0 out of 5 stars A deep meditation on the nature of success
First let me say how pleased I was to find this DVD at my local public library!
Published on April 14 2004 by Cathleen M. Walker

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, but a bit self-aggrandizing
I've seen only three of Waters' movies, which is plenty, and I enjoyed this documentary, but five stars? C'mon! It consists of clips from his movies, plus "talking head" interviews with a lot of unimportant (and self-important) people.
Published on Oct. 27 2003 by David F. Nolan

5.0 out of 5 stars A deep meditation on the nature of success, April 14 2004
This review is from: Divine Trash (DVD)
First let me say how pleased I was to find this DVD at my local public library!
From there I will go on to say what an impressive piece of work this is. Having long been a fan of the movie Hairspray, which raised my curiosity about Divine in the first place, a natural progression enabled my curiosity about John Waters. This is primarily his story, the story of his work, with plenty of interview time with him. What an intriguing individual! What a creative time and place he lived in! How fortunate for all freedom loving Americans that such explorations were possible in that time and place. I doubt they could ever happen today.
True, the films do seem to be in questionable taste, with little, if any, socially redeeming value. But look closer, and you may find your own reflection. What is the value of shock value? What are its drawbacks? What have we gained? What have we lost?
John Waters was not shallow, nor was he untintelligent. He was creatively inspired, and no matter how we react to his work, react we do. Such is the nature of art.
I feel like I got to know the man just a little, which is exactly what I wanted to do. I understood a little more about his work, and its success. Do I approve? I still don't know, but I do know that whether I approve or not doesn't matter.
I do approve of freedom. I believe that no one was hurt, and that violence was not empowered through the message, which makes many of today's movies filthy in comparison.
John Waters is an interesting individual. It would have been intruging to have been in his entourage. One could not have escaped coming out a changed individual. He created a cocoon, a chrysalis, where larvae were nurtured and outrageous butterflies emerged. They loved what they were doing, and they were successful.
If nothing else, it is a deep meditation on the nature of success in a country that considers it a superior export.
...geminiwalker

5.0 out of 5 stars A Divine Homage to the Prince of Puke ! ! !, Nov. 24 2003
This review is from: Divine Trash (DVD)
As a long time John Waters FANATIC, I found myself glued to this DVD straight through... Although the documentary seems to be nothing more than a film adaptation of Water's two PHENOMENAL books of biographical essays CRACKPOT and SHOCK VALUE (literally, the pages come to life, and many of the quotes and anecdotes) - - the footage is worth it. The documentary is intriguing and informative and has plenty of Pink Flamingos era behind the scenes rare footage. - - You even get to meet his parents. - - While the DVD is visually intriguing, the books are hillarious, making both the books and the DVD well worth getting together. - - For example, in his book Waters tells the story of how the dog that laid the golden egg (so to speak) was a bit poo shy... The documentary, in turn, catches the set up behind the scenes... In fact, it is fascinating not only to watch interviews with a young John Waters, but also to see his directing style in action - - (DVD extras won't blow you away, but still... you'll probably end up watching this film over so many times, it'll be worth getting a DVD, before the tape eventually rips and goes to shreds !) - - Incidentally, there has been a lot of criticism how the DVD focuses disporportionately on Pink Flamingos, however, considering that this was the film that broke him into the public eye and seemed to epitomize his style, I think it is very appropriate, and gives the film a focused point of reference to tell his story from.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, but a bit self-aggrandizing, Oct. 27 2003
David F. Nolan (Tucson, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Divine Trash (DVD)
Waters comes across as an intelligent and surprisingly normal guy, and it's interesting to learn how his moviemaking style evolved, but the constant references (by others) to his important role in moviemaking history is mostly bunk. The guy made crudely-produced gross-out movies. Nothing wrong with that, if that's what you wanna watch, but Fellini he ain't. Definitely worthwhile for hardcore Waters fans; of marginal interest to everyone else.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Detailed Documentary on John Waters, April 17 2002
This review is from: Divine Trash (DVD)
Although this documentary mainly focuses on "Pink Flamingos", it is still enterataining to watch and very thorough. The interviews are fantastic, and I learned a lot of things that I did not know about Waters and Divine. I would recommend this to any fan or anyone else who is interested in Water's work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Filthy People unite, March 12 2002
S. Michaels "Dearly Departed Tours" (Hollywood, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Divine Trash (VHS Tape)
As a die hard Waters fan, I thought I knew everything. Nu uh. Very good interviews/footage. A must for people that thrive on filth.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Method Behind His Madness, Jan. 17 2002
Martin A Hogan "Marty From SF" (San Francisco, CA. (Hercules)) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Divine Trash (DVD)
This great documentary covering the early works of John Waters lets the "cats out of the proverbial bags". Now you'll understand what makes John Waters work in that strange, magically sick way that thrills millions. Director Yeager really gets to the heart of the matter on all the issues that have made Waters so famous, including the stupid issue on the dog poop scene at the end of "Pink Flamingos". Water explains away all the critism in such a hilarious rebuff that you wonder what the fuss was all about. Note that the nasty Baltimore councilwoman who hates John Waters films is here too. She makes for great contrast. I swear she is the original "Divine" in denial. Yuck!

4.0 out of 5 stars COOKIE IS NOT HERE, BUT THE VIDEO IS STILL GREAT!, Aug. 23 2001
This review is from: Divine Trash (VHS Tape)
THIS VIDEO IS A FASCINATING LOOK BEHIND-THE-SCENES AND INTO THE MINDS OF JOHN WATERS AND THE ORIGINAL DREAMLANDERS. THE ONLY GRIPE THAT I HAVE IS THE FACT THAT THEY DID NOT MENTION ACTRESS COOKIE MUELLER AT ALL! NOT ONE WORD! AND SHE WAS IN FOUR OF MR. WATERS' FILMS! (THIS OMISSION COST THE VIDEO TO BE RATED 4 STARS, INSTEAD OF MY ORIGINAL FIVE.)
THIS VIDEO IS ALSO A MUST-HAVE FOR ANYONE WHO LIKES 'PINK FLAMINGOS', FOR MOST OF THE DREAMLANDERS' WERE INTERVIEWED WHILE THE MAKING OF THE CLASSIC TRASH MOVIE WAS IN PROGRESS. I KIND OF WISH THAT THE PRODUCERS OF THIS VIDEO WOULD HAVE FOCUSED A BIT MORE ON 'FEMALE TROUBLE', ANOTHER J. WATERS/DIVINE CLASSIC, BUT, YOU CAN'T HAVE EVERYTHING.
ALL IN ALL, BUY THIS VIDEO. IT WILL MAKE THE PERFECT COMPANION PIECE TO YOUR HIDDEN COLLECTION OF JOHN WATERS' MOVIES!

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent retrospective of Waters' work, Aug. 22 2001
This review is from: Divine Trash (DVD)
While the film does focus on Waters' early work, especially on "Pink Flamingoes", it is an excellent view into the history and mind of the director. I have long been a fan of Divine and Waters' movies, but found a new appreciation for them both after watching this documentary. It is full of interviews, both contemporary as well as ones taken during the 1970-1972 period. This is a definite buy for anyone that is a real devotee of Waters' works.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Cause for Waters' Fans to Celebrate!, Jan. 26 2001
A. R. Karpe "ARKendall" (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Divine Trash (DVD)
These days "sick and twisted" animation festivals are very popular around the country, especially in college towns. There's something subversive and anti-establishment about them. Well, John Waters was turning out sick and twisted entertainment years before it was fashionable, and he used live actors, not animated characters, to play out his acid-trip stories in his belovedly filthy Baltimore. "Divine Trash" is an extremely interesting and well made documentary following Waters, his cast and crew during the filming of the infamous "Pink Flamingos," the film in which Divine ingests dog excrement to prove she is "the filthiest person alive." It's fascinating to see Waters interviewed today, as a more grounded middle aged man, as well as then, as an obviously chemically altered young director without a care in the world other than getting his vision on film. Actors Mink Stole, David Lochary, Edith Massey and the late, great Divine (on set and in drag during "Pink Flamingos") are interviewed as are various crew members, friends, and even foes, most notably a board member responsible for viewing Waters' work before assigning it a motion picture rating. Many might dismiss Waters' films as talentless trash, but I stand in awe of a writer/director who can plumb the depths of bad taste and create hilarious dialogue for actors who are not quite actors playing characters we've never seen before and are surely never to see again. It's also interesting to see the grass roots beginnings of a film maker who would eventually go on to make more mainstream comedies like "Polyester," "Hairspray" and "Serial Mom." Waters may not be your cup of tea, but "Divine Trash" is fascinating for documentary fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like a dream come true....., July 26 2000
This review is from: Divine Trash (VHS Tape)
...I can't believe this archive even exists, and has been in hiding all these years! It was surreal seeing Edith Massey, David Lochary and Divine (in drag during filming Pink Flammingos) being interviewed out of character. We even get a glimpse of Divine "rehearsing" for the infamous doggy scene.
Some of this footage has been seen in the Divine profile on E! True Hollywood Story. But it was interesting to also see a creepy, young, long-haired John Waters being interviewed (at 25 yrs old).
Recent interviews with Mink Stole and John Waters' parents also add to the fun, not to mention the former Maryland Censor Board President's recollection of the infamous "rosary" scene in Multiple Maniacs.
I couldn't wait for this thing to get released on July 5, 2000..and promptly ordered it. I wasn't disappointed. Now I'm waiting for Mr. Waters' earlier films to start showing up on DVD!
FYI: Not much in the way of DVD extras here.

Divine Trash
Divine Trash by Steve Yeager (DVD - 2007)
CDN$ 14.95