5.0 out of 5 stars A True Gem!!!! A fine performance by Roger Moore!!!!
"ffolkes" is an under appreciated and little known film starring, then current James Bond, Roger Moore. For those critics that always felt that Moore was only a "tailor's dummy" standing in for Sean Connery, this script proved that Moore could indeed give a convincing performance as someone other than James Bond or Simon Templer.
Just as much as the "Tailor of...
Published on Jan. 12 2004 by Movie buff

1.0 out of 5 stars Format
Unfortunately it was formatted in some foreign format that my DVD Player does not recognize. How do I get it re-formatted.?
Published 6 months ago by Malcolm Hurd

5.0 out of 5 stars A True Gem!!!! A fine performance by Roger Moore!!!!, Jan. 12 2004
Ce commentaire est de: Ffolkes (DVD)
Just as much as the "Tailor of Panama" was a departure from Bond for Pierce Brosnan, "ffolkes" provided just such a vehicle for Moore. While the distributing company advertised the movie as a 007-style, action adventure piece, it really is more of a hostage drama and showcase for the remarkable character that is Rufus Excaliber ffolkes. To say that Moore makes a believable misogynist and all-around grump is an understatement, yet Moore fashions a very likable and sympathetic character who is entertaining to watch in action. Whether ffolkes demands to speak directly with the Prime Minister (stating that ..."she seems to have some grasp of the situation") or comments that he has never taken "10 minutes" to complete a Sunday Times crossword puzzle, the movie offers some great moments. It is a shame that "ffolkes" (also known as "Assault Force" and "North Sea Hijack") did not really find an audience and offer Moore a chance to reprise this role. Anthony Perkins makes nasty villain, who has some good lines of his own (such as stating to the chief British Government negotiator that the admiral makes it sound as though the "ransom is coming from his and the Queen's joint bank account.").
I am grateful that this movie, one of my favorites, is finally available on DVD and hope that people will find it enjoyable and discover that Roger Moore can really act.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's about time!, June 8 2003
Christopher J. Brimelow (Sunnyvale, CA) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Ffolkes (DVD)
Ffolkes is one of my all-time favorite movies. A while back, I purchased the VHS version and it looked like it was an old bootleg! The picture and audio quality was the worst I had ever seen on an official release! Needless to say, I was very happy to hear that it was going to be released on DVD, and I can imagine that the picture and audio quality will be up to DVD standard. As far as the film goes, it has a great cast and a great mix of drama, action, and humor! In a role which is very different from his James Bond persona, Moore pulls off the grumpy, cat-loving action hero perfectly! Also watch for outstanding performances from the late Anthony Perkins and James Mason. The story revolves around a group terrorists (headed by Anthony Perkins) who hijack a boat in the North sea, and threaten to blow up a couple of oil rigs if the British government do not meet their demands. Ffolkes (played by Roger Moore) is brought in to thwart the hijackers' plans. The story is a unique twist on the terrorist/hostage theme which has become so commonplace in recent years, and being made in 1980, this movie can only be viewed as a true original which should not be missed!

5.0 out of 5 stars It must have been Ffate!, Feb. 17 2002
By A Customer
Ce commentaire est de: Ffolkes [Import] (VHS Tape)
A few years ago, I was in a video store renting "Giga Shadow," but when I got home, I discovered they had accidentally switched tapes! I found myself with a copy of "Ffolkes" instead. How lucky I was...Roger Moore is AWESOME. It's really too bad that "Ffolkes" didn't make a bigger impression when it was released. I can only hope that a DVD release will cause people to re-discover what a tremendously cool action movie this is. In the meantime, treat yourself to a great VHS classic! A can't-miss!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly spectacular., June 19 2004
Kyle R. Schlichter (Somewhere, out there.) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Ffolkes (DVD)
There's very little I can say about "ffolkes" that hasn't been said before (and better) by others, but I'll try my best.
In a complete departure from Bond, Moore portrays Lord ffolkes, an arrogant, eccentric, chauvenistic diver who leads a crack mercenary commando diving team in the employment of Lloyd's of London. Opposite him is Anthony Perkins as Kramer, one of the most dementedly amoral villains I've ever seen on film. Both actors give spectacular, over-the-top performances, which may seem corny and unbelievable if not for the larger-than-life aspect of the film.
People who grew up reading Action Force in Marvel's "Battle" magazine will find a lot of similar qualities among the plot and dialog of "ffolkes." It's hard for me to pin down a word to describe that styling, unfortunately..
Overall, this is a classic suspense-thriller, not too tense but not too predictable, with satisfyingly intense (yet relatively bloodless) action sequences.
The only downside is that "ffolkes" never spun off into a post-Bond franchise for Mr. Moore..

5.0 out of 5 stars Good job Roger Moore, March 12 2014
Ce commentaire est de: Ffolkes (DVD)
I had watched this movie a long time ago and after receivibg it from amazon and watching it again it was just as enjoyable, I have alays liked Roger Moore and I found that in this movie he is showing a side that is different from his usual performances and he does a good job of it. I highly recommend this movie.

1.0 out of 5 stars Format, Feb. 20 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars An oldie but a goodie...., Feb. 16 2014
Ce commentaire est de: Ffolkes (DVD)
I saw this movie on television years ago and was delighted to find I could get a DVD of it. It has great performances by James Mason, Tony Perkins and especially Roger Moore as the quirky, misogynistic but brilliant title character. The battle of wits between Moore's character, ffolkes. and the head villain, played by Perkins, is fascinating. The movie is a great mix of suspense and action and has comical moments as well. I just loved the ending but won't spoil it for you by saying why. I'm so glad this is now part of my movie collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent movie, finally on DVD!, Oct. 30 2003
C. Murphy (Illinois United States) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Ffolkes (DVD)
This has long been a favorite of mine, and I am thrilled to see it on DVD. A totally opposite, non-Bond role for Roger Moore, he plays it to the hilt. Anthony Perkins is also very good.

Ffolkes
Ffolkes by Andrew V. McLaglen (DVD - 2003)
CDN$ 14.99 CDN$ 12.22