4.0 out of 5 stars A musical memory that comes to life
As expected in reading the reviews, I find that people either loved or hated this movie. I'd like to look at this movie from two perspectives, first details on the disc itself.
The audio is presented in both DTS & Dolby Digital 5.1 surround. The video is presented in anamorphic widescreen 2.35:1 on the dual layer disc. Overall they did a decent job of encoding...
Published on Oct. 30 2003 by Savant

3.0 out of 5 stars Pepperland Alive and Well
I can see why this film met with mixed revies upon it's release in 1978. People still wanted The Beatles, and anything short was unacceptable.
Well, this may not be The Beatles, as Peter Framptom and the Bee Gees perform most of the vocals in this Rock Musical. But the actual music, and sound, is superb. They must have had a studio band backing them, as there...
Published on Jan. 20 2006 by R. Kirk

‹ Previous | 1 2 310 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars I saw a film today, oh boy, Jan. 15 2004
Tim Brough "author and music buff" (Springfield, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (DVD)
If there was ever a movie that deserved a golden turkey, it was this one. Horribly conceived, garish, acting with the consistency of several small trees and musical numbers so literal that it could have been dreamt up by a high school drama club, "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" is so cheesy that it effectively derailed the RSO Movie organization, who were looking at this as the latest blockbuster following "Saturday Night Fever" and "Grease." (Not too mention the lucrative best selling soundtracks and cross promotions.)
I am sure that everyone knows the history of this 1978 Technicolor gag fest, so there is no need to bore you with the details. But what needs to be stated is why I bought it almost as soon as It finally made its DVD debut. Beyond mere nostalgia, there is the goofiness of it all. Where else could you see Peter Frampton and Steve Martin square off in a Star Wars battle parody? And the peculiar shtick of allowing only George Burns the only speaking part? (That could be stretched; between Burns, Donald Pleasance and Frankie Howard, they might share a full octave between them, and they ALL sing.)
And speaking of the songs, most are carried off dutifully. Frampton and the Bee Gees were at their peaks; Robin Gibb's "Oh Darling" is a standout. The two groups that brought in outside producers, Aerosmith and Earth Wind and Fire, are the ones that fair the best. Aerosmith had Jack Douglas work their version of "Come Together" into a perfect rock sleaze concoction and EW&F self produced "Got To Get You Into My Life" with their customary flair.
So get this at your own peril. It rates with the same kind of goofy fun that makes me own "Can't Stop The Music" and "Rock and Roll High School."

5.0 out of 5 stars joyful and fun, Jan. 4 2004
larry smith (Kansas City MO USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (DVD)
i first seen sgt peppers when i was 12 years old,and faithfully seen the movie when ever i could.i got married in jan of 1999 and recieved 3 beautiful stepdaughters,and with a daughter of my own,i felt it would be good for them.so into the machine it goes.suddenly everything was quiet even the next to the youngest who has been diagnosed with A.D.D/A.D.H.D. was totally mesmerized by this and at the end of the day everybody was singing something from the movie.to captivate my family it MUST BE GOOD.definantly 5 stars....

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm Happy that I bought the DVD!, Oct. 4 2003
This review is from: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (DVD)
I reviewed this movie last year in October 2002 and since I recently bought the DVD and just watched it today I thought I would write a new review. Okay, so this movie wouldn't win an Oscar but that doesn't stop me from enjoying the pure campy silliness of this weird but entertaining movie. I saw this movie in a theater back in 1978 when I was a 13 year old girl old and I really did enjoy it and wound up getting crushes on Peter Frampton and Maurice Gibb and later also Barry and Robin Gibb. Like I said in my old review it's like a weird disjointed dream but so much fun. And though there are movies I liked when I was a child that I have recently watched and I wound up hating them and saying why did I ever like This? But I can't say that for Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band because I enjoyed it just as much now as then and I found myself smiling, laughing, singing along and just having a great time. Yes it would have been nice if the DVD had more extra features besides the original trailer and the previews for The Blues Brothers, The Wiz and Xanadu but I'm just happy the movie is finally on DVD because I really didn't think that would happen any time soon when I wrote my review last year and when I looked up this movie again on Amazon and found out it was now available on DVD I literally did a double take and when I did indeed confirm that it was really on DVD I was like Wow, I can't wait to buy it and when I watched the movie on DVD today I loved every minute of watching it and enjoyed it's trippy, campy 1970's fun. One reviewer seemed to be annoyed that people have called this movie campy, yeah maybe some people used campy in a negative way but not all of us, I think it's a good, fun highly entertaining campy movie and I highly recommend this wonderful widescreen DVD and yes maybe the vibrant colors of the movie could have been restored a little but the colors are still pretty amazing considering the movie is over 20 yers old. If you love this movie and want to buy the DVD then go for it! I give this 5 stars for the shear fun of watching this delightful movie!

2.0 out of 5 stars "We hate joy. We love money", Oct. 3 2003
This review is from: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (DVD)
Is that a quote from one of the movie's villains or an inter-office memo from the production team? Though this movie appears to us now as hopelessly dated, "harmless" kitsch, it's important to remember that the primary reason for making this film was profit, plain and simple. The producers wanted to cynically cash in on their audience's nostalgia of the Beatles and long-faded hippie ideals.
What results is a bizarre, cartoonish funhouse mirror of those cynical ambitions. Sgt. Pepper and his band can end wars, their instruments can "make dreams come true" but they can't help George Burns' Golden Throats-worthy singing or help our heroes' acting ability. They get seduced by dreams of Hollywood fame and really skanky women, while their town is befell by the corrupt Mr. Mustard, who turns "Heartland" into a hellish haven with a giant greasy cheesburger and (gasp!) a video game arcade. Then Strawberry Fields comes to the rescue and a benefit (for Mr. Kite!) is held, although that devolves into some more bizarre set pieces, and ends when Miss Fields bites the dust. But wait, then Frampton tries not to come alive, and the original Pep does a reverse Michael Jackson and comes back as a black guy, played by Billy Preston. He sings about "California grass" and does some funky dancing, and helps our villains discover Jesus. Then, Pow! a large scale recreation of the Pepper's album cover appears, this time with more C-list celebs. If you thought the original Sgt. Pepper's album was missing disco beats and vocoders, and want to see some trippy set design, try to sit through this movie. I dare you.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Movie and Reviewing Reviews, Sept. 17 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (DVD)
First, I grew up in the 1970's. I was a senior in high school when this movie came out. I was disappointed,but for none of the reasons people, younger than I,who weren't old enough to remember
the 1970's, have said here or in other places. ( I love when
people try to review something from an era, before their time)
"Sgt Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band" "was" a superficial attempt by Robert Stigwood to capitalize on the "huge" popularity
of Peter Frampton and the Bee Gees, by having them star in and sing "covers" of classic Beatle songs...all in the framework of a "rock opera". Stigwood had been successful in 1973 with Jesus Christ Superstar, a "true" rock opera...This effort was "halfassed", and ill timed. People were insulted by the movie,that many, critics and public alike saw, as an effort to
"trivialize" the Beatles by having Peter Frampton and the Bee Gees perform their songs in a "schlocky" film...It may have been made with the intention of having some fun...It was bad.
I saw it then,and bought the soundtrack which I still think is better than the film. I agree with an earlier reviewer, the film is a "good" example of late 1970's films,and a nice piece of nostalgia, for an era that was superficial...but, "fun"...
I love the Bee Gees, and liked their covers of some songs...
Peter Frampton never topped "Comes Alive"...Aerosmith did a nice cover of "Come Together". For a good rock opera from the 1970's
refer to "Jesus Christ Superstar", not "schlocky"...and better
all the way around. I gave Sgt Pepper a high rating mostly due to my own love for "nostalgia"...If you like the 1970's...you might agree. BTW, the effort to pay "tribute" to the Beatles might have been a better idea...today....I don't think this one
was a "tribute"...it was a "bad one" if it was...

5.0 out of 5 stars It's So Bad It's Good, Sept. 13 2003
Cyndi (Burbank, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (DVD)
Sure, this is a terrible movie. But can't something be terrible in a really fascinating and cool way? This is my favorite movie of all time. Where else can you see Barry Gibb knocking out Alice Cooper? Or Peter Frampton getting his butt kicked by Steven Tyler of Aerosmith? These are classic moments in cinematic history!

2.0 out of 5 stars Nostolgic, but nothing more, Aug. 31 2003
Steven T. Fricke (Arlington, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (DVD)
I saw this movie in the theater when I was a teen. I had hoped for more then, and I hoped for more now. It was not bad, but it will not appeal to anyone who is not a Beatles fan. My kids got a kick out of it because of the shiney 70s look, and they knew a bunch of the music.
This movie is a loosely strung together series of later Beatles music, and a few inside jokes for the fans, but other than a trip down memory lane, the movie is not worth watching. I can even remember being dispointed in Alice Cooper's rendiditon of "Because" as a teen even though I was a huge AC fan. Still, Aerosmith's "Come Together" is as good now as it was then. Billy Preston doing "Get Back" was the most appropriate selection for a performer (Beatles fans will understand why).
Unfortunately the movie lacks any real substance. It may be worth a rent for a trip down memory lane, but not worth owning. The chances I will watch this again this decade are pretty small.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Lively Pice of Memory, Aug. 28 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (DVD)
Ah, yes, the critics trashed it, but now this innocent film brings back all the memories of an era that is gone. It's very light and silly, but the music is (mostly) good (Bee Gees are excellent) and the colors are fun. The story line is well, surprise yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great music and handsome guys!, Aug. 21 2003
Heidi (ga United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (DVD)
If you are a huge Bee Gees and Peter Framptom fan as I am you will enjoy this! The Bees Gees and Frampton sing wonderful versions of Beatles songs and they are such good looking guys to watch!! I also enjoyed seeing Alice Cooper, Aerosmith, and Earth Wind and Fire. I got a big laugh seeing Maurice Gibb and Alice Cooper punch each other LOL! Seeing Peter Frampton sing in the hay barn was very dreamy WOW! I wish Andy Gibb was also in this!

3.0 out of 5 stars The Bee Gees Get 5 Stars, But The Rest..., Aug. 16 2003
This review is from: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (DVD)
Since this is now out on DVD, I finally got a chance to see it for the first time in years.
Pros:
--Pretty much any time the Bee Gees are seen or heard on screen by themselves. They play broad comedy very well, and their harmonies are sublime. If this was just a video of them, it'd get a perfect 5/5 from me.
--Aerosmith's "Come Together" is frankly better than The Beatles' original version; Steven Tyler really nails the sleaziness of the lyrics. Ditto Robin Gibb's "Oh Darlin'". Even Barry Gibb's version of "A Day In The Life" is right up there with the original.
--Some of the uses of the music are downright clever ("I Want You/She's So Heavy" for the record company orgy sequence is a really good example of this). The whole introduction sequence is also pretty clever with some fun period arrangements of "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" to sound like tunes of the era.
Cons:
--Pretty much any time Peter Frampton is on the screen. Though the genuine despair he shows in Strawberry's room after the funeral isn't half bad. But his singing...ugh.
--The acting in general. Bad. Just plain bad.
--The plot. Yeah, it's supposed to be a farce. That doesn't mean it has to be a brain-dead farce. Blah.
--That ending. Oy.
Overall: Cheesy, but sometimes you just want cheese. 3/5

‹ Previous | 1 2 310 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xb4b15c48)

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band by Michael Schultz (DVD - 2005)
CDN$ 9.99