4.0 out of 5 stars Solid and unpretentious rock album

Published on Dec 5 2003 by Eric J. Weik

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid and unpretentious rock album, June 17 2004
Tyler Tanner (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fly On The Wall (Audio CD)
I have to disagree with the folks who say that this is a bad first album for AC/DC fans simply because it was mine. And it was the first CD I got when I saw the remastered versions. I am by no means a die-hard but I've always liked the band. Being a teenager during the glam rock craze, I had a few AC/DC tapes in my collection and would always pop this one in my walkman if I wanted to listen to something more earthy and real.
In reference to the "poor" production remarks made by some others. I see the point, but I remember the videos on MTV for this album including the 45 minute video LP. They showed the band in a dive bar simply playing the songs. I've always associated this imagery with the band and have never really looked for slick production in an AC/DC album. They are one of the few, in my mind at least, where the producer could make it easy for himself by hitting the record button, sitting back and having a beer and let the band do their thing. However, those looking for a Back in Black pt2, will be disappointed.
Starts off with the title song and you don't stop tapping your feet or your steering wheel for the next nine tracks that come after. Simplistic lyrics, great guitar riffs by Angus, and that one of a kind voice by Brian Johnson. The only track I was not wild about "First Blood" all the others hold up pretty well. The remaster come with a nifty booklet showing photos of the band on tour and a web link with videos from the album. This should not be a question of whether or not those should get this as your first AC/DC album. It just shouldn't be the *only* one. A great buy from one of the best rock bands.

4.0 out of 5 stars Unlike others, I think this is one of AC/DC's better albums, June 24 2004
"jmaraschky" (Shaker Heights, OH USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fly On The Wall (Audio CD)
Many people seem to hate this album for the reason that it doesn't really have any huge hits like Back In Black or High Voltage. I actually like this one a lot though. The songs "Sink The Pink", "Danger", and "Shake Your Foundation" are all good songs. I definately think this is not their best album but it's definately worth buying if you really like the band. If you don't have Back In Black, High Voltage, Dirty Deeds and/or Highway To Hell, I suggest you go buy those before this and then maybe get this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Underrated ...... but more an AC/DC fans must have!, March 17 2004
This review is from: Fly On The Wall (Audio CD)
This album is one of AC/DC's least popular and know albums. Mostly i guess because of the sound quality, i dont know what they where doing, but it is kind of hard to hear Brians voice during alot of songs! The Re-Issue has made it a little clearer and improved the sound, but still not enough to really make the songs fully shine! Some tracks sound incomplete and shoul have been worked on a bit more!
Beeing an AC/DC fan, this is one of my favorite albums, but i wouldnt recomend it to any non-ac/dc fans, or new comers to the band! it really IMO is liked by the AC/DC fans, a few tracks tickle a few un-be-knoweths fancy... but these songs wenrt recorded too good. and unless youve heard the title track played live you probably wouldnt understand the impact it has!
Beeing a re-issue it probably should have had WHO MADE WHO , DT and CHASE THE ACE included from the "Who Made Who" album, seeing as how so many people dont want that album because it only contiains 3 tracks, plus a few extras from other albums! because its a soundtrack to Maximum Overdrive! and so many people buy it because they think its a greatest hits, but its not, and they end up disapointed by it!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorites, Jan. 18 2004
Dan "platinum aero" (Latham, New York United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fly On The Wall (Audio CD)
Contrary to what other people think, i think this is one of my favorite AC/DC albums. Brian Johnson's voice isn't gone (yet), his screams sound better with the songs than they did on Flick of the Switch. Angus's solos fit well with the songs. The rhythm part of the band really holds things down. My favorite tracks are:
Fly on the Wall- a great opener: lots of energy
Stand Up- a real anthem. the guitar solo fits well. Brians lyrics are nice.
Shake Your Foundations- a real 'active' song. every part is always going.
Overall this is one of my favorites. I think Brian's voice is better here than on For those about to rock and Flick of the Switch..not so scratchy and annoying.

2.0 out of 5 stars Grade D+, Dec 5 2003
Eric J. Weik "ejwtfw" (Dyersburg, TN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fly On The Wall (Audio CD)
Having at one time, been a great AC/DC fan, I was sadden at this release. Looking back I can see why. No new ground was made. Still the same old AC/DC, sex, drugs, and rock-n-roll, with the same old sound. Shake Your Foundations, and Sink The Pink, are the two best known songs off this cd, but that is not saying alot. Boring with a capital B. The playing is lifeless. Only Playing With Girls, seems to have any fire behind it. At least this time, they didn't produce the cd, like they did with the awful FLICK THE SWITCH.

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly great, Nov. 7 2003
D. K. Malone (earth) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fly On The Wall (Audio CD)
For a very long time, my AC/DC library stopped at For Those About to Rock. I didn't even acknoweldge that they recorded any albums after that. About a year ago I finally said what the hell and bought Flick of the Swith. It was about as weak as I expected. I think I've listened to it two or three times since. Well, I got the bug again a few days ago and decided to try my luck one more time, so I bought the next album. And I'm surprised at how good it is! It's not their best of course, I wasn't expecting another Highway to Hell or Back in Black. But it's great stuff. AC/DC is one of those bands that basically keeps churning out the same handful of songs album after album. Sometimes the wind is at their back and sometimes it isn't. Well, this time it was. Back in Black, For Those About to Rock and Flick of the Switch all had a certain "dark" sound to them, and understandably so. On this it sounds like they finally cheered up and wrote their first upbeat album since the Bon days. These are just good catchy anthemic rock songs that AC/DC does best. I think it's better than Flick of the Switch, at any rate.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Is My Favorite AC/DC Album, Oct. 28 2003
This review is from: Fly On The Wall (Audio CD)
For years the AC/DC Album which I held in the highest regard was "Back In Black" like most other fans. But in 2003 AC/DC Were inducted into the Prestigious Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame, and to Commemorate this honorable achievement, Epic Records, the Record label they are currently signed to acquired the Rights to their entire Back Catalog/Discography and Re-Issued most of their albums with Remastered Sound and Deluxe packaging.
The Re-Issues didn't hit Record store shelves simultaneously, Groups f Albums were released in separate "Phases". The first arrival being their more celebrated albums like "Back In Black" and "Highway To Hell".
"Fly On The Wall" was released with the third and final phase. And after listening to this album heavily, It's now my favorite AC/DC Album - With "Back In Black' being a close second.
Popular opinion states that "AC/DC Were in a Slump during the Mid-80'S" Well that's only true if you observe Album Sales. And it's kinda true as "Fly On The Wall" to date has only gone Gold, Which is meager compared to their past sucesses. In fact it was for this reason that I feared the worst: Epic might not produce a Re-Issue for "Fly On The Wall". Well a Gigantic relief came my way when a message board poster from the official AC/DC Website informed me that "Fly on The Wall" is scheduled for a Summer release, July 1st to be exact.
On that very date I Was on vacation in Washington D.C, and upon returning home I was unable to find the album at big chain record stores, I Checked a Pawnshop and found a copy for $8.99, it amazed me that the year on the back cover said 2003 and I bought it used!
The People who subscribe to the "AC/DC Slumped in the Mid 80's" School of thought automatically reject this album, they won't give it the time of day for listening solely on account of It wasn't a through-the-roof commercial tour-de-force. Unfortunate, but that's their loss.
The Album Cover is nice. It shows the familiar band logo + The album title over a Wood-Paneled wall (Although some perspectives may see it as a fence). The cartoon fly on the lower right corner is so cute, unlike the Flys you see in Real life. Well the Fly for this album cover was used in a series of Genious AC/DC concert videos to promote the album. The cartoon fly was intersped over live action footage ala "Who framed Roger Rabbit?". The fly buzzed out of beer cans and above the stage where the band were giving their all in an energetic performance. Tragically this didn't help sales.
The disc comes packaged in a Digipak which will wear out quickly if carried around. The Liner notes are packed with rare photos - it's worth noting, that I think the image + style AC/DC Had in 1985 was their all time best. All the band members had long hair, Guitarist Angus Young's was Shoulder length. Brian Johnson was heavily into a Matching blue denim Pants, hat and vest "look", superior to the one he had on "Back In Black" where he relied on a Black Cap + T-Shirt.
There is a great accompanying booklet essay written by Brian Ives, in it he praises AC/DC For never selling out to trends which I Also commend. HOWEVER we part ways where he states "In 1985 Some 70's Hard Rockers adopted trendy styles like Pibnk Suits, Hairspray, and Synth-Driven Ballads" which in my opinion is a subliminal Jab at Kiss. Now I love the Mid-80's Era of that band, so those words don't sit well with me. Regardless it's a good read but if you enjoy mid-80's Kiss like I do be advised.
On the Production front all the problems that ailed the original have been solved. On the original 1985 Pressings Brian Johnson's voice sounded like it was in the background, not anymore, on this Re-Master it's loud, clear and in the forefront. Cliff Williams competent Bass playing can now be heard as well, on past versions you'd ask yourself "Did he show up for the recording sessions? There's no bass". George Marino, the Sound Technician who did the Re-Masters deserves praise from me, so heres to ya George!
Simon Wright was the bands percussionist in 1985 replacing Phil Rudd. The "Sound" Of Simon's drums are the best I've heard in all the time I've listened to Recorded Music. Thwe Snare is LOUD, Unlike some of these wimpy recordings today where I have to struggle to hear it (Cyclefly's debut anyoene?). Simon isn't a flashy drummer like Tommy Lee,
I love the Lyrics to the opening title track: "Trapped Like A Fly On The Wall/Caged Like a Sewer Animal". And The Bass Line engages you.
"Shake Your Foundations" has an intro consisting of Guitars Plucking which are of course done by MAlcolm and Angus Young. The Drums Bombastically build up for the chorus: "Ayee Ayee Oh Shake your Foundations".
"First Blood" should have been used as the theme to a Rambo movie but Darnit it wasn't. For The Solo Angus breaks into some Gerge Lynch-esque Finger Tapping. Angus is a more blues based player, so his techniques are more akin tio Jimmy Page and based on feeling but it's always good to hear him try other ideas too, which he showcases here.
"Danger" was released as a Single. A logical decision to do so because the mainframe is very "Hooky", for it snags you. The Tempo is moderately slow, staying that way for it's full 4:22 Running length. The lyrics tell the tale about having onbe drink too many and the perils it may cause for some people, Hence Danger...."Raising Hell I wasn't doing no harm/The Cops Could not appreciate My Natural Charm".
"Sink The Pink" is probably the Weak Link of this song batch, though it's fairly decent taken on it's own. The High-Pitched Guitar lick is appealing. To me, the latter chorus half resembles Def Leppard's huge hit "Photograph". Not a bad thing. In fact the two bands are somewhat linked and you don't have to play six degrees of separation. Both bands employed producer "Mutt" Lange in the past. The Pace of "Playing With Girls" Strides along in Thuggish Fashion. Sleazy Lyrics, what's not to like?
"Stand Up" should've been an anthem of it's time. Hindsight's 20/20. The Guitars aren't as plentiful, but when they let up you get to hear Simon Wright's afforementioned glorious drums. The Bass Line is absent during the first chorus but kicks into gear from there on out. It's a Two-Chord tandem of High-Low High-Low.
"Come Hell Or High Water" has a distorted Riff that "Mimics" the chorus, which gets repeated many times.
Of all these tracks "Back in Business" has the toughest, most thuggish feel by far. Check out What Brian Johnson sings, if he gets ousted from AC/DC He may have a second career in Gangsta Rap!:
"You want some trouble, I'm the king of vice
I'm a wreckin' ball, I'm a stingin' knife
Steal your money, gonna take your life
You got screamin' murder, lock up your door
Double dealin' gotta have more
Call me dirty, trash my name
Just tell (the? my?) boys that I'm gonna be
Back in business again"
Now this is for The Rap Reviewers at Amazon: Those lyrics would be prime material for A Warren G Or Mobb Deep Album!
Heading into the Bottom of The 9th we have the closer "Send For The Man". I'm still not exactly sure who "The Man" the lyrics are talking about is, maybe it's the bad guy from the Eddier Griffin/Denise Richards film "Undercover Brother" LMAO. The whole band chimes in for the anthemic "Yah" Shouts. The Riff is solid, and the chords get real murky during the chorus prelude, which for some reason makes it more memorable. And Distinct too, becayuse I've heard over 50 AC/DC Songs, and this sticks with me.
After "Fly On The Wall" AC/DC's streak of Good albums continued with "Blow Up Your Video" [albeit on that release Simon's drums sounded "Softer :( ].
This is AC/DC's Most Thuggish album, Every Song off "Fly On The Wall" is an underrated Gem, and the Snare Drum Sound is possibly the best I've ever heard. Go buy a Copy today.

1.0 out of 5 stars Fly On The Wall, Oct. 27 2003
Josh Wike (Reidsville, NC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fly On The Wall (Audio CD)
I Think brian johnson sounds like bob seger on speed.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not so good, but not a total waste, Aug. 27 2003
This review is from: Fly On The Wall (Audio CD)
Brian Johnson's voice was practically gone by that time. Also, the production is simply horrible here.
The songwriting is good, however, and would make for a good listen, except for the problems mentioned above.
The fact is that AC/DC virtually died when Bon died. The guy was simply irreplaceable. He was the missing link that finally launched the Young brothers to stardom. Due to sheer talent, their momentum was so good, the inspiration at a peak, that BACK IN BLACK would have been a success with any singer, be it Brian Johnson or another. That they managed to record album after album after Bon's death, itás a tribute to their quality.

2.0 out of 5 stars A fine example of AC/DC's mid-eighties slump, Aug. 26 2003
This review is from: Fly On The Wall (Audio CD)
This album sits alongside AC/DC's previous effort, "Flick Of The Switch", as their least interesting.
There are two pretty good songs on "Fly On The Wall", namely "Sink The Pink" and "Shake Your Foundations" (both of which can be found on the soundtrack album "Who Made Who"). The rest is cookie-cutter mediocrity...the lyrics seem forced and clichéd, the music in completely uninspired, lacking the hooks and riffs that make AC/DC's best songs so memorable, and Brian Johnson's voice is mixed far into the background.
"Fly On The Wall" was a commercial and critical failure, and it's not hard to understand why. It's steeped in mediocrity, and comparing it to "Highway To Hell", "The Razors Edge", "Let There Be Rock" and the greatest hard rock album ever, "Back In Black", makes it look like even more of a disappointment.
This one is only for completists.

ARRAY(0xad47b09c)

Fly On The Wall
Fly On The Wall by AC/DC (Audio CD - 2003)