5.0 out of 5 stars Fun even for nongamers
I am not a hardcore gamer. I wouldn't even really call myself a gamer at all -- I'm of the "if my husband's playing it and it looks really fun, I'll give it a try" school.
Published on May 16 2004 by Alexis Coxon

3.0 out of 5 stars Neverwinter Nights: Hordes of the Underdark
Published on March 29 2004 by kniteflux

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Drow, Drow and more Drow, Aug. 19 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Neverwinter Nights: Hordes of the Underdark Expansion Pack (CD-ROM)
All in all I have found this a very enjoyable game, except that you'll want to be starting with a character that you've played a little in the original campain or first expansion, since if you're less than level 10 or so the game is too hard. Also, if you start at to high a level (like 18 or so) the game is too easy. But running around and killing Drow does get to be a lot of fun!

4.0 out of 5 stars The installment that is the most fun to play, May 17 2004
DrEDG "gynetix" (San Diego, CA United States) - See all my reviews
For me Hordes of the Underdark is the most fun installment of the series to play. The plot is OK, and is the standard fare for most Dungeons crawls. The Hero and his party of followers head into the depths of the earth to save their homeland from invasion and destruction. Graphically Neverwinter Nights is OK, though it isn't the most graphically outstanding game I have seen. However, the game play is very good. In this installment you can add two henchmen to form a small party for the first time. Unlike dungeon siege there is more of a plot to keep you going, with puzzles to keep you on your toes. D & D purists may hate this games because of its real time and non-turn based structure. However, they may well be in the minority as flowing game play is what I, for one look for. So four stars because it is just an expansion, but one worth buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun even for nongamers, May 16 2004
Well, I've never played D&D in my life, but I am a HUGE Neverwinter Nights fan. I love being able to customize my character's appearance and skills, I love the graphics, I love the adventures and the ability to roleplay my character in many different ways (from goody two-shoes to black-hearted villain).
Having finished the original Neverwinter Nights and the Shadows of Undrentide expansion pack, I started in on Hordes of the Underdark. Without a doubt, it's my favorite so far. The quests are more interesting (some even stumped me, and I had to go to the Bioware site for a little help!). There are new classes, which are fun to play, and there's even a little romance in the game! I have to admit, I thought that was a great element. I don't know how the guys who play this cared for it, but it really added some fun for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Neverwinter Nights Hordes of the Underdark, May 6 2004
By A Customer
Hordes of the Underdark is an adventerous game containing various new classes, feats and levels! It has a brilliant new campaign and outstanding places, it is an all round intriguing game with new puzzles to solve. It has been one of my favourite games and is worth buying!

5.0 out of 5 stars KARPG (kick-ass RPG), April 24 2004
Zachary D. Palmer "urlordofelves" (North Dokota) - See all my reviews
great toolset (though not perfectly stable (a few error handling kinks should be worked out)
great game - good storyline, and pretty good rendering...no serious redering faults...fair control of camera angle manually...good sound effects
great scripting capablity!! script resembles C-syntax and allows easy custom functionality of objects in mods...fairly good object handling, too...

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent expansion, April 24 2004
John Gromadzki (Denton, TX) - See all my reviews
This was a great expansion for the NWN series, easily making up for the so-so Shadows of Undretide, which offered zero challenge to a character that finished the original.
I purchased this very shortly after it came out, and did the immediate patch, and had zero game play issues, which is refreshing nowadays.
The storyline was good, the return of some characters was a pleasant surprise, and it definitely served up a decent challenge, while not being unbeatable. Like many RPGs, the final battle wasn't the hardest I encountered, but the overall game was good, and none of the puzzles were incredibly hard to overcome.
A definite keeper, with considerable replay value, as you try out other classes.

3.0 out of 5 stars Neverwinter Nights: Hordes of the Underdark, March 29 2004
"kniteflux" (Maple Grove, MN United States) - See all my reviews
Neverwinter Nights: Hordes of the Underdark adds more of everything. The new Prestige Classes are generally more interesting and useful than those in the previous expansion pack (Shadows of Underntide). The new feats, like the Prestige Classes, are also much more interesting and useful than the previous expansion. The list of epic spells, improved henchman, max level, and tile sets are all improvements for the game.
Hordes of Underdark also adds a new set of official modules with the expansion. The plotline, dungeon layout, puzzles, and feel of the modules are far superior to that of previous official modules (and even better than most player/fan-base modules). A major problem is that it was designed for single-player only. Technically, you could play the game multiplayer, but the player hosting the game would have to be well versed in using the DM Client commands from the Player Client interface to combat these "issues."
Hordes of the Underdark has also released more glitches and bugs than even the original unpatched game. Even after Hordes being patched, most users experience occasional freezes and crashes. This is not such a big deal when you have the auto-save feature turned on, but still detracts from the excitement of playing the game.
One problem that I have witnessed in Neverwinter Nights from the beginning is that there has never been a large player/fan-base Mods for high levels (level 20). With the new cap of level 40 in Hordes, I have still not witnessed many high quality Mods for characters level 20-40. Lastly, those Mods that have been designed well for the higher levels frequently have a bias for more warrior based characters.
For players whose main focus in NWN is the single-player mode and enjoyed the expansion of freedoms in Shadows of Underntide (classes, feats, etc), those who enjoy "maxing" out a character or designing super templates, enjoy designing their own Mods or like to be able to keep up with playing the most current Mods, then Hordes of Underdark is an excellent expansion. For players whose computer's limits were being pushed by the previous expansion (Hordes doubles the "recommended" RAM requirement), who play primary/solely multiplayer mode, or for those who get their kicks by challenging high-level content, then Hordes doesn't deliver as much as it seems to contain.

2.0 out of 5 stars Keeps crashing! Very fun but completely unstable., March 15 2004
Keith Tokash "twigles" (Laguna Niguel, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I'm about half way through this game and it honestly feels like a 4.5 star game, except it won't stop crashing! I played the original NWN without a problem (skipped SoU) as well as dozens of other games, all with my existing hardware, software and configuration. I'm running all mainstream stuff:
Win2k, Service Pack 4 with all relevant hotfixes (so...5,000).
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro - great card.
AMD 2200+ on an Abit mobo, 512 ram.
Patch 1.62, installed on March 12th 2004.
So basically what happens is the game either locks up during a save and after about 30 seconds crashes to desktop corrupting that save file in the process, or the system reboots. Neither scenario gives any warning and if I play for 3-4 hours then I'm about guarunteed to have at least one of each crash.
So the game is great. Graphics are nice, sound is fine, nothing special. The battles are a lot of fun and I really enjoy watching my dwarven fighter charge a drow cleric amid fire and ice storms. The power given to you is awesome as your guy gets around level 20, and since the game starts off with you generating a character and leveling it up to level 15 you can customize the bejeezus out of it. The game bogs down a little sometimes, which annoys me since I greatly exceed the recommended specs, but that doesn't happen enough for it to be a problem.
Summary:
Buy this game if you liked NWN, it is tons of fun. But either research your PC setup online to see if others are having problems or at least wait until patch 1.62 is no longer the latest. I'm going to think really hard before buying Atari again.
UPDATE: I updated my graphics driver to the latest catalyst driver from ATI (version 4.3 at this time) and the machine reboots seem to have stopped. However the game still locks up about 1 time in 10-20 while saving. I hit ctrl+alt+delete and kill the process after it freezes and I've caught the game using 210MB of memory! The log files it says it is generating are useless, they just describe event within the game itself before it crashes.
Maybe Atari is one of those things to avoid now so as to keep our fond childhood memories....

5.0 out of 5 stars Neverwinter series is the best PC RPG series period, March 13 2004
They actually did it, they made the god-like RPG, Neverwinter Nights, vastly better with this expansion. Friends and family will take a back seat as you continue your quest, good or evil, with an array of new prestige classes, equipment, spells, epic levels, and an excellent story to boot. My only gripe is that this game is annoyingly difficult at times for anyone that relies mostly on spells or steatlh.

3.0 out of 5 stars The weakest Neverwinter title yet, Feb. 23 2004
By A Customer
I had far more technical problems with this expansion than with the original or the previous expansion pack (yes, I installed the latest patches). The game locked up several times, my character turned green from enemies and stayed that way, I unintentionally lost my (out of control killing machine) henchmen, my inventory would open to a blank screen about half of the time. While I am a big fan of the original Neverwinter nights, and I really liked the first add on, the technical problems brought on by this expansion were too severe to allow me to characterize it as anything other than uncooked. Perhaps this game was squarly aimed at powergamers that care less for story than I do, but the NPCs seemed far more bland and two dimensional than in the original or previous game (with the notable exception of your henchmen, who don't seem to be able to shut up), the game universe seemed less expansive and more limited than with the previous modules. The game felt like it was rushed to market too fast and that the story was jotted down on the back of a napkin, or made up as they went along (the story felt crafted in the previous games).

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›