Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage Personal Care Crocktober Music Deals Store NFL Tools

Showing 1-1 of 1 reviews(2 star).show all reviews
on March 15, 2004
I'm about half way through this game and it honestly feels like a 4.5 star game, except it won't stop crashing! I played the original NWN without a problem (skipped SoU) as well as dozens of other games, all with my existing hardware, software and configuration. I'm running all mainstream stuff:
Win2k, Service Pack 4 with all relevant hotfixes (so...5,000).
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro - great card.
AMD 2200+ on an Abit mobo, 512 ram.
Patch 1.62, installed on March 12th 2004.
So basically what happens is the game either locks up during a save and after about 30 seconds crashes to desktop corrupting that save file in the process, or the system reboots. Neither scenario gives any warning and if I play for 3-4 hours then I'm about guarunteed to have at least one of each crash.
So the game is great. Graphics are nice, sound is fine, nothing special. The battles are a lot of fun and I really enjoy watching my dwarven fighter charge a drow cleric amid fire and ice storms. The power given to you is awesome as your guy gets around level 20, and since the game starts off with you generating a character and leveling it up to level 15 you can customize the bejeezus out of it. The game bogs down a little sometimes, which annoys me since I greatly exceed the recommended specs, but that doesn't happen enough for it to be a problem.
Buy this game if you liked NWN, it is tons of fun. But either research your PC setup online to see if others are having problems or at least wait until patch 1.62 is no longer the latest. I'm going to think really hard before buying Atari again.
UPDATE: I updated my graphics driver to the latest catalyst driver from ATI (version 4.3 at this time) and the machine reboots seem to have stopped. However the game still locks up about 1 time in 10-20 while saving. I hit ctrl+alt+delete and kill the process after it freezes and I've caught the game using 210MB of memory! The log files it says it is generating are useless, they just describe event within the game itself before it crashes.
Maybe Atari is one of those things to avoid now so as to keep our fond childhood memories....
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again