5.0 out of 5 stars Did you have an invisible friend?
Published on Feb. 4 2005 by bernie

1.0 out of 5 stars About as funny as dog poop on your shoe
Published on Jan. 16 2001 by Charleen Bunjiovianna

1.0 out of 5 stars About as funny as dog poop on your shoe, Jan. 16 2001
Charleen Bunjiovianna (Redwood City, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Drop Dead Fred (VHS Tape)
I must say I read with astonishment the comments about this video being "empowering" and "uplifting". Obviously there are some Amazon amateur reviewers who desperately need to get out more. Fails as a comedy, fails as a psychological examination of repression, succeeds only in conveying a bit of Rik Mayall's talent, here chained to an unlikeable premise and heavy-handed director. Phoebe Cates's blank doe-eyed stare will make you reach for the remote.

4.0 out of 5 stars So cute, I want an imaginary friend too!, July 21 2008
This review is from: Drop Dead Fred (DVD)
This is really a chick flic but I love it! The imaginary friend is so great, funny & adorable in it's role & brings out the child in you! I want an imaginary friend too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Did you have an invisible friend?, Feb. 4 2005
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Drop Dead Fred (DVD)
There is a time in ones life when they are in need or at least are open to the concept of an invisible friend. However at a certain age this becomes an absurd idea and therefore the friend must leave. The concept has been put forth in many movies such as "The Curse of the Cat People" (1944), and books such as "Peter Pan" or "Mimsy Were the Borogroves" by Henry Kuttner and C.L. Moor,

which depicts a child's mindset as alien to those of humans.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Elizabeth As a child (Ashley Peldon) had her share of problems as a friend and also had her own supposedly imaginary-friend "Drop Dead Fred" (Rik Mayall). Of whom she was supposed to outgrow. She had a little help from her mother who locked Fred away in a Jack-in-the-box.

Now Elizabeth (Phoebe Cates) is once again having problems with a recent divorce along with many other disasters. She makes the strategic error of moving back home. She finds where Fred is confined and pretends to frees him; guess who she finds out is not imaginary and is still waiting as if time had not passed at all. This happens when one goes home again. Now Fred is appalled to find that Snot Face is all grown up and that she even did it like the pigeons. How ever Fred is just as mischievous, ornery, and destructive as ever.

It is up to the two codependent entities to help free each other from a static situation; Liz needs to grow up and Fred needs to move on the next kid. In the process Elizabeth meats a girl Natalie (Kelly Benson), that seems to be annoying the babysitter. And she claims it was "You know who".

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Will Elizabeth finally take control of her life and out grow the need for Fred?

If so will she ever see him again?

The movie is worth it on different levels or diffident angles. We have the fun of the interacting and antics of Fred, Elisabeth and boogers. There is a true underlying psychological story that includes a trip through ones mind. And Phoebe is almost too cute and can make you forget what you are watching.

"I forgot to give you something!"

4.0 out of 5 stars imaginary friend vs schizophrennia, July 12 2004
This review is from: Drop Dead Fred (VHS Tape)
the characteristics of the girl in this films problems look a lot schizophrennia.they call it a imaginary friend.a horrible mother mistreats her daughter emotionaly and even "trapped" her imaginary friend in a box when she was small.then she grew up and her life got all out of whack and her friend came back.his name is drop dead fred.he does gross and outrageous things to help the girl deal with her overbearing mother.the kids will love this one.there are a gross part or 2 but nothing like all the nasty things on tv everyday.the main chick is sexy in a girl next door-her own kind of person-do now think later kind of way.her mom as fred so lovingly describes truly is a mega-bitch!shes over the top annoying.anyone that annoying should be put to sleep as a opener to the actual movie.this IS a kids movie despite its less than kid friendly name.so let the little jokers watch it and dont get your panties in a bunch.id watch a sequel.

5.0 out of 5 stars unusual? no it's just fred, July 5 2004
This review is from: Drop Dead Fred (DVD)
This is a must see film. Not only is it humours, clever and dramatic through out the whole film it is that kind of weird, yet stupid humour. The director couldn't have picked a better actor for this film than Rick Mayall, I mean one look at the guy with his tossed and tattered ginger hair, his green pinstripe jacket, his yellow trousers(which are too small for him!)and not to mention his red shoes your already thinking were did he come from?! Pheobe Cates was ofcourse her serious self but still was a excellent performer! Rick Mayall you laugh before you see him and your already in stiches when you do! an excellent film! Two thumbs up from me!

5.0 out of 5 stars At its heart, this is a movie about self empowerment., June 10 2004
This review is from: Drop Dead Fred (DVD)
On the surface, "Drop Dead Fred" is a comedy. And as a comedy, it's a great one. Rik Mayall, of course, if very funny. Phoebe Cates displays a genuine talent for physical comedy in several scenes - at the restaurant, at the classical music concert, and at the wine tasting party. And I just LOVE the scream that Cates lets out when Fred scares her while she's standing in front of the mirror wiping the makeup off of her face. Carrie Fisher is also very funny as a super-rigid super-serious lawyer.
However, at it's heart, this movie is a drama with some very serious issues and some very serious messages. Ultimately, this movie is about standing up for yourself. It's about taking control of your life. It's about standing up to defend yourself from the people who are tormenting you. Anyone who's ever been bullied stands to benefit from seeing this film. It really is a good form of therapy. You'll know that you're not alone. You'll know that there are other people who know how you feel. And that's one of the reaons why I love this movie so much.
Of course another reaosn I love this movie is Phoebe Cates. Her characer here is so sweet and wonderful. How can any guy see this movie and not think he's in love with her? And honestly, I think she's a better actress when she keeps her clothes on, as she does here. Throughout the course of the movie, Cates displays just about every emotion that there is. She's truly a great actress.
Kudos also go to Ashley Peldon, who does a remarkable job as the child version of Elizabeth. Tim Matheson does a perfect job portraying the jerk husband. Marsha Mason is fantastic as the evil mother. All the other actors do their jobs very well. Every role is cast perfectly.
Every scene in the movie is necessary. Nothing is wasted. Every line of dialogue counts. The flashbacks to childdhood are integrated perfectly into the rest of the movie.
There are some interesting camera angles here that I've never seen before. For example, in the flashback to where the mudpie gets made in the dining room, young Elizabeth is sitting on the chair, shaky and scared because her mother had just yelled at her. While the camera is focused on her, the camera pans 90 degrees, and then her face lights up with a smile and she says, "Hi Fred!" I've never seen that particular kind of camera shot before. I also like the way, later on when grown up Elizabeth is making the salad, the camera is *under* the pepper grinder. And during the end of the dream sequence towards the end of the movie, the various lighting and camera angles suggest a play that is being performed live on a stage.
The low budget cheesy special effects give a nice, old fashioned touch to the film. For example, the cheap physical effects of gears and other things that are shown when Velcro Head's head explodes simply would not have had the same charm if it had been done in expensive CGI.
The movie is timeless. The only real clue to when the movie takes place is that in the flashback to the breakfast scene, young Elizabeth's father is reading a newspaper with the heading about the first man on the moon.
The best part of the movie, in my opinion, is the dream sequence, and everything that comes afterwards. The last 25 minutes of this movie are what really elevate it to what it is. This is the part that really moves me the most. Of course, in order to understand it, you need to see the entire movie. And that's a good thing, because the entire movie is worth watching.
This is a movie for anyone who remembers what it's like to be a child, and for anyone who has a sense of fun and a love of life, and for anyone who's ever been hurt because of bullying. This movie has a big heart, a big sense of fun, a big sense of humor, and a big love of life.

5.0 out of 5 stars An uproariously hilarious movie!, May 21 2004
Kurt A. Johnson (North-Central Illinois, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Drop Dead Fred (DVD)
When Elizabeth (played by Phoebe Cates) finds her marriage to a manipulative, two-timing husband (Tim Matheson) on the rocks, to her chagrin, her mother moves her back home and takes control of her life. But then she makes a strange discovery, in the back of her old closet is her old jack-in-the-box, covered in the tape her mother had put there to lock in her imaginary friend, Drop Dead Fred. Opening the tape, who should pop out? Not jack, but Drop Dead Fred (Rik Mayall)!
Fred is stark raving mad, and out to cause as much mayhem as possible, but no one can see him but Elizabeth, so who still gets the blame after all these years? But Fred is back, because Elizabeth is terribly unhappy. In his own weird and wacky way, he is out to set Elizabeth on the right track, and everyone needs a friend.
This is a very funny movie, an uproariously hilarious movie! Rik Mayall (Rick from The Young Ones) does a great job of taking Fred over the top, and off to the outer reaches of wackiness. His gross humor (lots of doggy-do, nose-picking, hits to the head, and so forth) may turn some off, but is sure to please any connoisseur of craziness.
Now, is this a family-friendly movie? Well, not exactly, there are some off-color remarks and adult innuendo, but not much. The big problem is that there is one scene where you see a naked man from behind. But, other than that it is pretty good. I showed it to my kids, and they loved it. I liked that it also had a lesson of finding happiness inside yourself.
So, as for my family and I, we loved this movie, and highly recommend it to you!

5.0 out of 5 stars It's time to play burglars!, April 13 2004
This review is from: Drop Dead Fred (DVD)
This is a classic comedy that seems to have been forgotten about. It did well when it came out in 1991. I remember seeing it. I still love it all these years later. The only thing that seems dated is the wardrobe of Phoebe Cates. She dresses like a complete geek. This isn't a realistic comedy, or maybe it is; Lizzie may be schizophrenic. Not to be taken seriously, this is a FUN movie and highly recommended. I wish the DVD was in widescreen format though. Isn't that one of the main reasons we have DVDs?

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the funniest movies I've ever seen!, March 22 2004
This review is from: Drop Dead Fred (VHS Tape)
I saw Drop Dead Fred when I was about 5 years old, and I didn't quite understand a lot of it. I just loved to watch Fred get his head smashed in the fridge and cut Lizzie's hair on one side. My tape got buried in the closet for about 7 years and then on a whim one day when I was twelve (I am now 13), I just decided that I wanted to watch that movie. I dug it out of the closet, put it in the VCR, and I was laughing for the rest of the evening. It was even funnier because I could understand a lot more of the jokes and the dialogue. Drop Dead Fred is a movie for people who are still young at heart and it is especially enjoyable for those of us who have actually had imaginary friends. (I still have an imaginary friend!) Every once in a while I get the urge to watch this movie and I enjoy it every time I do.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Ideal Invisible Friend, Feb. 16 2004
This review is from: Drop Dead Fred (DVD)
This film is so funny it makes me cry. I watched this for the first time as a teenager and it made me wish I had a invisible friend just like Drop Dead Fred. It's jokes are funny, Rick Myall is fantastic as Fred and as I am older now I never realised just how simillar my mother is to Elizabeth's.
This film is a must see for all however I myself take due care not to let my children see this film at a very young age as I would hate to see "MOTHER SUCKS" written on my carpet.

Drop Dead Fred
Drop Dead Fred by Ate de Jong (DVD - 2003)
CDN$ 122.05