5.0 out of 5 stars Who invented liquid soap and why?
The Sure Thing has to be the most quotable movie of all time. When I saw it for the first time in the 80s I didn't appreciate it for what it was. When I rediscovered it in the early 90s I couldn't believe what a gem this movie is.
"excuse me I see a sweet young thing whose sarong needs adjusting"
Published on June 8 2004 by Steve_in_TN

3.0 out of 5 stars What's Important
Published on June 16 2004 by R. A Rubin

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars What's Important, June 16 2004
R. A Rubin (Eastern, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sure Thing,the [Import] (DVD)
This 1980's teen genre comedy is not as good as the earlier "Ridgeway High." It's not as good as "Pretty In Pink" or the other John Hughes movies. But it has its moments and certainly is far better than the awful "Valley Girls" which appeared in 83. Rob Reiner has an easygoing hand on the direction. He's not going to be remembered as Hitchcock or Ozu, but again, sweet comedy is Reiner's best stuff. I always found John Cusak movies vaguely unsatisfying. His roles are the smart aleck kid that revolts against middle-class etc... But in this movie of boy-girl opposites, he's good, even handsome in a Tom Cruse way. Alison Bradbury is fine as the anal co-ed, and thank you movie god, she's a brunette, not a blonde. This is a "Road" flick and the usual rain drenched hitchhiking scenes unfold. America is big and beautiful. Hard to miss with this material. The moral, getting laid is less important than finding someone you adore. Not a bad idea.

5.0 out of 5 stars Who invented liquid soap and why?, June 8 2004
This review is from: Sure Thing,the [Import] (DVD)
"excuse me I see a sweet young thing whose sarong needs adjusting"

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny!, April 3 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Sure Thing,the [Import] (DVD)
While this isn't as good as SAY ANYTHING..., John Cusack's later movie, it is still very good and very funny. John Cusack is better in his earlier romantic comedies like this one, SAY ANYTHING...(a classic and my favorite movie) or the hilariously offbeat BETTER OFF DEAD than he is today (with the exception of HIGH FIDELITY, I didn't like AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS at all). He is very funny throughout the whole movie, but my favorite scene of his is in the pool scene when he's imagining his future ("When I get out of jail, I'm 36 years old.") if his love interest doesn't help him pass English. The love interest, Daphne Zuniga, is also very funny (especially when she tries to prove to J.C. in the car that she's not stuck-up-if you've seen the movie, you know which scene I mean). Overall, very funny. Like all romantic comedies, it is predictable, but the comedy, good acting and chemistry make this movie not MONEY FOR NOTHING.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, definately in my top 10 favorite all time., April 25 2007
I'm generally not a big fan of Rob Reiner films, although they are usually good. This film is great, the combination of John Cusack and Daphne Zuniga is brilliant. I'd liked John before seeing this film but this is what made me addicted to Daphne Zuniga films, I now own all but a couple of her films. Anyone that likes ''Say Anything'' will like this film. It's characters are a little more immature and doesn't contain as many deep messages. It's more of a fun road trip movie with the message of as I'd say the sure thing isn't as good as the real thing & the sure thing is never what it seems... And if you've seen ''Serendipity'' the Casio Pia [or however you spell that] constalation line was first used by John Cusack in this movie... And the crazy car passanger who's totally crazy and a 'Raving Lunatic' line was done here before John Cusack did it again in HellCab aka Chicago Cab ....WICKED AWESOME MOVIE.... - B. Wicks

5.0 out of 5 stars I Love you Daphne!, April 1 2004
Mitch (New Hampshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sure Thing,the [Import] (DVD)
What can I say about this movie other than I love it! John Cusack (Gib), and Daphne Zuniga (Allison) are perfectly cast in this movie and given their young age (John Cusack was only 17), makes their performance that much more impressive.
But what makes this movie so enjoyable and memorable is the feelings it provokes. Remember the rush of emotions when you first meet someone who makes your heart beat out of your chest and feel lightheaded? Acting like you really don't like someone when deep down inside you would give anything to be with them? Going to a party and flirting with other people hoping that they would see you and get jealous? That's what this movie does for me. It makes me realize just how much I miss the innocence, passion and emotion of those days.
The acting is wonderful and you really get drawn in to their plight as they make their way across the country to be with the one they "think" is their own "sure thing". The great thing about this movie is that every time it looks like they are finally going to get together, something pulls them apart.
While there are many funny lines and memorable scenes in this film, by far my favorite is at the end when Gib's essay is read aloud. Allison's facial expressions let you know just how painful it is for her to hear it. The final scene is wonderful. I tear-up whenever I see it, and I'm a guy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great movie, great DVD - lots-o-features!, March 29 2004
Robert Anderson (Pacific Northwest) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sure Thing,the [Import] (DVD)
This movie is a cult-classic in my (wife's) family, so we've all seen it a dozen times or more. Sure, people will dismiss this movie as a teen, lightweight, romantic comedy. Maybe it is, but it's also hillarious and well acted and packed with lines that you'll find yourself quoting throughout life ("we speak each others unspoken language, - fluently"). Personally, I think this is John Cusak's best acting role ever. Even the smaller parts (such as Tim Robbins' are hillarious).
Additionally, this DVD has great features. For example you can watch in either widescreen or normal mode. You also have the option of turning on the director's (Rob Reiner) commentary so you can listen to him speak over the movie giving his comments on the actors, scenes, etc. There's also a trivia feature that will play the movie while popping up little triva-blurbs on each screen. There are also "featurettes" that discuss the casting, wardrobe, etc.
Some DVD's are simply the VHS movie put on a different media, but this one is packed with great features - plus it's a great movie!

5.0 out of 5 stars How the Teen King of the 80's Earned His Title!, Feb. 28 2004
This review is from: Sure Thing,the [Import] (DVD)
...Ahh, 1985. Molly Ringwald is the Teen Queen of the 80's and John Cusack was the Teen King. The Sure Thing embraces John's usual craziness and opened the doors for more starring roles. This is one of my all-time favorite films. I have watched repeatedly since I was seven and I still love it. It's the perfect 80's film all in one. It's light, fun and touching. The Sure Thing has everything you'd need and more. The film comes equipped with hunky men, foxy ladies and enough funny one-liners to put the writers of " Becker " to shame. You get a fantastic road trip, top romance and the world of the 80's all in one DVD! And as always Cusack gets his woman. If you want to see how John Cusack made his most famous mark in Hollywood, this is the film for you. If you don't give a [darn] about all that, just watch it for kicks. You won't regret it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very funny, Jan. 30 2004
This review is from: Sure Thing,the [Import] (DVD)
I enjoyed this movie very much, John Cusack is always been known for playing a funny guy who tries to get the girl. Well its one of those movies. Its about to young students trying to get to Califorina and have a hard time getting there. The movie is funny, but it is your basic, boy meets girl kind of movie. It is still one of his lost classics and any fan should rightfully own.

3.0 out of 5 stars Where Are The Special Features Advertised!, Jan. 25 2004
Kramww (Media, Pennsylvania United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sure Thing,the [Import] (DVD)
I finally got around to wathing this DVD that I bought months ago. Good movie, but it doesn't hold up as well as I remember. What really bothers me is that no one seems to care or comment that the featurette special features aren't there or so well hidden that they are a frustration to find. Has anyone else come across this situation?

5.0 out of 5 stars The best John Cusack film, Jan. 7 2004
This review is from: Sure Thing,the [Import] (DVD)
If you're a true fan of this movie, or even just a fan of John Cusack, then this DVD is a "must own." The audio commentary by Rob Reiner is just right -- he explains lots of cool things, doesn't get preachy, and knows when to sit back and watch. For example, he confesses that he was too embarrassed to film the opening shot of Nicolette Sheridan oiling herself up, so he had his production assistant do it. There's also a Trivia Track feature which displays popups during the movie -- they're a little hard to read though. I wish it included the original theater trailer, but alas, it does not.
The movie is about two college students Walter "Gibb" Gibson (John Cusack) and Allison (Daphne Zuniga) and how they end up hitchhiking cross-country together. Allison is going to visit her boyfriend; Gibb's friend Lance (Anthony Edwards) has set up a "sure thing" for him. The Sure Thing is played by Nicolette Sheridan; her name is never mentioned. It's not the usual sappy version of "romantic comedy" -- it's actually funny and intelligent. It's not a dumb "Meet The Parents" style teen flick either -- there's no toilet humor or frontal nudity.
When I discovered that my wife (back then, girlfriend) and I both liked The Sure Thing, I knew we were meant to be together. Ten years later, we're still married and we still watch it every six months or so.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xb6bc9828)

Sure Thing,the [Import]
Sure Thing,the [Import] by Rob Reiner (DVD - 2003)
CDN$ 15.98 CDN$ 10.36