5.0 out of 5 stars Hoover Carpet Cleaner
One of the best purchases I have done.
Published on Oct. 24 2010 by Joe

Decent cleaner however it does have some issues. Keeping in mind you get what you pay for I think this cleaner is good value.

Pros:
- Both the handheld and power brushes do a good job of cleaning the carpet fibers.
- Machine is pretty easy to use when it's operating.
- Water suction seems to be good, it doesn't leave a ton of water residue...
Published 1 month ago by TheGreatJman

5.0 out of 5 stars Hoover Carpet Cleaner, Oct. 24 2010
This review is from: Hoover SteamVac Carpet Cleaner with Clean Surge, F5914900 (Kitchen)
One of the best purchases I have done.
I have to agree with the consumers reports I've read, that this carpet cleaner lives up to the reports as far as performance and leaving the carpets dry. They dried withing a couple of hours following the companies instructions. Make a couple of extra passes (about 4 to be specific) and a couple of hours later, the carpets were dry.
Highly recommended.
It is this specific model that was recommended and it is one of the least expensive. I am a true believer of value for money, and this model has proven to be that for sure.
I've cleaned the basement carpets and area rugs along with the wall to wall carpets, all with excellent results.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent machine, Feb. 3 2014
This machine has done an excellent job keeping our rugs nice and clean. We use this every month or so to bring the carpets back to like-new condition. We have two dogs in a medium size townhouse, so the rugs can get soiled from messy paws if we're not careful. Weekly vacuuming deals with the normal dirt and dog hair very well, and this SteamVac removes all the tougher dirt and stains.

The two-tank system is very well designed in this unit. The top tank contains the soap solution and is very easy to fill with detergent and hot water. The bottom tank fills with the dirty water while cleaning and is very easy to remove and empty when full. The tanks are a good size, so with our three-bedroom townhouse, we only have to fill the tanks about three times to do the entire unit.

This unit makes the carpets look very nice and clean, and it leaves the carpets only slightly damp. They dry very quickly, and we've been able to use the carpets again only a short time after cleaning them. Overall, I have been very happy with this unit.

4.0 out of 5 stars steam cleaner, July 2 2011
Steam cleaner worked well. Great price for a quality product. It was the first purchase I've made with Amazon and I was really impressed with the free shipping. The checkout price added the taxes and it was no guessing game. You paid the displayed price. The product arrived at my door within a couple weeks. I will definately use this website again. Thanks Amazon!

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality SteamVac that gets the job done, Nov. 3 2014
JMM (USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This is a nice SteamVac that is easy to use. It basically comes assembled right out of the box, and all you have to do is fill the water tank before using (you mix your cleaning solution of choice with warm tap water) and then empty the dirty water tank when you are finished. [NOTE: A small sample of Hoover cleaning solution is included in the box].

Sometimes it takes 2-3 passes over soiled areas to get everything completely clean, but in general once is enough. There are two buttons which allows you to control how much cleaning fluid is released as you go. After you have applied the wet cleaning pass, I recommend going over the entire area again for a drying pass - the SteamVac sucks up more of the excess water and this greatly helps to dry the area.

In summary - this is not the perfect SteamVac, nor do I expect it to last more than a few years with regular use. But I have used it 3 times now, and overall it does a very good job cleaning the carpet. So it is good value for the price, and I would recommend it for normal household use.

* For cleaning solution, I like this product: "Hoover 2X PetPlus Pet Stain & Odor Remover 32 oz, AH30325"

4.0 out of 5 stars Great performance, Nov. 3 2013
This machine is an excellent choice for cleaning carpets. I pre-spotted, waited a bit and then used the machine. The carpets looked fabulous. However, I've given a 4 star because, like some other reviewers, I'm concerned that parts will break easily. Handle it carefully and it's likely to last a good long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Machine, Dec 1 2013
Easy to put together, Easy to use and works great. I highly recommend this machine. My carpet looks like new.

3.0 out of 5 stars Name is misleading NOT A STEAM CLEANER, but is a decent bargain unit for small cleaning jobs., June 15 2015

Pros:
- Machine is pretty easy to use when it's operating.
- Water suction seems to be good, it doesn't leave a ton of water residue behind.
- Overspray works well for distributing extra cleaner to bad carpet spots.

Cons:
- This is NOT "steam cleaning" as implied by the name. As far as I know, it does not produce any steam or heat the water in any way, so that is misleading. I used very hot water in the cleaning tank and that worked well.
- Plastic parts throughout, the handle is already feeling flimsy and loose when standing upright, I would operate this unit very carefully when carrying/cleaning otherwise it may break down.
- Dirty water tank reservoir is not that well designed, the lid is very difficult to get back on at times, if you don't get a good seal you will lose suction. I found it pretty much impossible to empty this without some minor spillage.
- Main tank reservoir is smaller and needs to be refilled frequently.

Overall I don't regret the purchase, but I bought this when it was on sale and significantly discounted. However I'm thinking if you want a very long term unit, consider spending a little more for a higher end machine. If I get 2 years out of this unit I'd be satisfied. Probably best for users with light cleaning or smaller carpeted areas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice machine, Dec 31 2012
I had an especially dirty carpet to clean and after trying some sprays from Canadian Tire I got this machine to do the job. I only used it two times so far, to clean the 8x10 feet carpet and then its under side. It worked well. The carpet looks much better now. I am really impressed with the performance. It is not excellent cleaning, but definitely a good one. The base of the carpet which is below the bristles, hairs, is not really cleaned. But the bristles themselves have been cleaned well.

I really liked the two reservoir scheme, one for clean solution and another for the dirty one. It was easy and straightforward to work with. But note, both the containers are one gallon each, but they never get need attention at the same time. First the clean solution runs out, then you replace it and suddenly the dirty tank is full. I tried to refill/empty them at the same time but eventually just attend them as required at different times. To clean the top more difficult side I used may be 15 or 20 full tanks of clean solution, and it took me 4 hours I guess. So, be warned. For the back side I did not clean it so well, so 6 tanks may be what it took.

I was initially thinking about a Bessel machine instead, as it is much more easier to get hire in Calgary, but eventually after reading reviews I decided to go with this Hoover. I am glad now, as I can imagine that with the weird tank/plastic bag setup the Bessel would be much greater a hassle.

I cleaned the machine thoroughly after each use, I is not difficult but as I understand has to be done. Both the tanks are easy to clean and dry. The spinning brushes are easy to remove and rinse in my utility sink. It should be noted that after these two significant jobs the brushes show signs of wear now. I am not sure how long they will last, will see. To clean the intake I installed the dirty water tank and put the machine in my utility sink and opened water. Then sucked water with the machine until the tank was full, this cleaned it well.

It is a significant device but not overly heavy nor too big. It stores neatly in the corner of my utility room in upright position. All in all I think I made a right choice. Hope this helps. I would recommend this machine to people who do not expect miracles from it and who is ready to care for it and follow their instruction. I had a bottle of concentrated Bessel cleaning solution and used it with this machine, no problem, worked well despite the warning in the manual about using only Hoover cleaners.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great!!, Sept. 17 2013
Very happy with this purchase! Our carpets were absolutely destroyed by our big messy bulldog so I wasn't even sure if there was hope. But after using this for the first time, I was amazed by how clean our carpet was after! The smell was gone and so were all the dark spots from where he puked. The steamvac itself is easy to use. I used boiling water rather than hot tap water as suggested by other reviewers and it did work better. I like the 2-tank system and the dirty water tank is easy to clean out. The suction is great and it didn't leave my carpets soaking wet. I also tried the hand tool and it cleaned our couch nicely. The only reason I gave it 4 stars is because the tank is pretty small so you need to fill and empty it often. Also, it's so heavy that it's not easy to lug it up and down the stairs and it doesn't help that it doesn't have a carrying handle. Other than that, I would highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Steamvac Carpet Cleaner, Sept. 28 2011
I love this steamvac! it is so powerful and has great suction! The hose attachment worked awesome on my stairs. I would recommend this for anybody who is looking to purchase a steamvac!
I also split the cost with my mom and we share it back and forth---just an idea for anybody who is looking to spend less!

Hoover SteamVac Carpet Cleaner with Clean Surge, F5914900