5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Version
Published on Jan. 17 2004 by Rachel

2.0 out of 5 stars Not bad... but
I love the cast. June Allyson is perfect Jo and Magaret O'brien is simply touching. But unlike the cast, the movie is not that believable. I agree with Maltin. It is too glossy! MGM art team made the March family another Rockefellers! They didn't read the book. I'm sure.
Published on Dec 26 1999

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Christopher Columbus!, Jan. 17 2004
This review is from: Little Women (VHS Tape)
I wasn't expecting to enjoy this as much as the 1994 version with Ms. Ryder as Jo March--I was surprised. The only slight scarring to this 1949 version of the film was the small appearances of Mr. March, his acting was quite horrible. But, June Allyson does fill the screen with perfection as Jo March. I thought that Margaret O'Brien portrayed a wonderful Beth also. I was very moved to tears when she shook off her shyness to thank the elder Mr. Laurence for the piano. Elizabeth Taylor played Amy March to all her selfish perfection. It was defintitely the most delightful to watch June Allyson though.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Version, Jan. 17 2004
This review is from: Little Women 49 (DVD)
I loved the Little Women and after seeing this version I fell even more in love with the book. Although June Allyson wasn't the best Jo I have ever seen she is pretty close the depiction of Beth was magnificent and the version of Meg was beautiful but the star was Elizabeth Taylor's adaption of Amy although she was a little old looking for the roll but you have to admit that no one plays a brat like Elizabeth Taylor it was absoulutley perfect. This movie is a wonderful adaptation of a wonderful book that speaks to men and women of all ages because of it's timeless beauty. I hope that you enjoy this movie as much as I did!

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favorite Version!, Oct. 25 2003
This review is from: Little Women 49 (DVD)
I like this version (with June Allyson) much better than the Katherine Hepburn (whom I think really *overacts* in her version, often using a forced deep voice that doesn't work at all) or the Wynona Ryder (whom I think really can't act at all...she's just been fortunate to be in some *really* good films) versions. June Allyson is ideal as Jo. She seems like she really was a tomboy as a girl, but yet has a sensitivity that is perfect for the adult Jo. The supporting cast is wonderful too. Elizabeth Taylor is so funny as Amy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievably Touching!, Sept. 28 2003
This review is from: Little Women (VHS Tape)
A sweet, charming, non-stop entertainment film. My only regret is that Rossanno Brazzi is in it, but that's okay. This 1949 ACADEMY-AWARD WINNING version of the beloved classic was incredibly done; with a script and cast to die for.
June Allyson plays the tom-boy writer, Jo March ("Look at me! Dying to go fight by father's side, and here I am--sitting and knitting...like a poky old woman."). Allyson never stopped being the character, and is such fun to watch.
Margaret O'Brien plays little Beth March, the frail and sickly child in the family ("We are a lot better off than a lot of people. Orphans, for instance. We have father, and Marmee, and each other."). I cried like a baby in the end of the film, when our poor Bethy dies from Scarlet fever.
Elizabeth Taylor made me laugh out loud so many times in this movie, portraying Amy March ("When one is in Europe, one feels that the dirt there is so picturesque!"). She can't stop eating, and she feels that her nose is unshapley. Hm.
Janet Leigh played Meg March, the most sensible of the girls, and the oldest ("I haven't changed [Jo]! But it's about time YOU had!!"). She is confused by her love for the nasal-voiced Mr. Brookes, and ends up marrying him, in spite of all Jo's begs for her not to.
Lastly, Mary Astor plays Marmee as gracefully as...well, gracefully ("God bless and keep us all."). Sometimes, I wish that she could be my mother too! (no offense, mom).
This film made me laugh hysterically (such as when the girls rehearse a play; or when Jo gets mad at Amy for eating too much), or sob uncontrallably (when Beth dies, and when Jo finds out her aunt is taking Amy to Europe instead of her). I would definitely reccomend this to ALL movie-goers, fans of the book, or fans of anyone in the cast. It is superb.

4.0 out of 5 stars A CLASSIC COMES TO LIFE - WONDERFUL TRANSFER, Aug. 30 2003
Nix Pix (Windsor, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Little Women 49 (DVD)
"Little Women" (1949) is the delightful coming of age story that follows the exploits of the March sisters, Jo (June Allyson), Beth (Margaret O'Brien), Amy (Elizabeth Taylor) and Meg (Janet Leigh) as they mature from the angst of childhood into their unsuspecting futures as young women of merit and substance. Jo is a tomboy, defying all convention and propriety in her quest to live a life of enchantment and excitement. That excitement leads Jo first into the arms of the very wealthy, Theodore (Peter Lawford), who she rejects, then the penniless, but infinitely better suited, Professor Bhaer (Rossano Brazzi), who eventually wins her heart. This was the second time Louisa May Alcott's novel had been filmed - the first, in Technicolor. As Jo, June Allyson's performance holds up quite well against Katherine Hepburn's indelible original. Allyson is properly pert, plucky and disdainful all at once. She makes the part her own. Mary Astor is tender as Mrs. March. Also in the cast is C. Aubrey Smith, making his final screen appearance as the stoic but loveable Mr. James Lawrence and veteran curmudgeon, Lucille Watson as Aunt March. This is a wonderful tale no matter the age and the acting in this version is perhaps the finest ever realized.
Warner Video gives us an absolutely gorgeous looking transfer. Colors are rich, bold and vibrant. Flesh tones have been nicely balanced. Black and contrast levels are dead on. Only in a few scenes does the transfer tend to lose fine detail. The audio is mono but nicely mixed and fresh sounding. There are no extras.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Movie, July 24 2003
"pinkmist1" (Victoria Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Little Women 49 (DVD)
I loved this movie. The costumes and sets are beautifully done and the characters have such strong personalities and yet so different from each other while keeping that strong sister hood. I also love Pride and Prejudice and Anne of green Gables all movies where you can escape the havoc of today and spend a few hours in a world less complicated!!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of THE best films of all time, Jan. 25 2003
This review is from: Little Women (VHS Tape)
Who could hate the classic film, Little Women? With a star-studded cast, this delightful family film is both hilarious and yet heartbreaking. June Allyson plays Jo so naturally, it's amazing how superior she is in the role compared to Katherine Hepburn and Winona Ryder ... Elizabeth Taylor is a hilariously comedic stuck-up sister Amy, and I'd have no one else play her. Margaret O'Brien is simply adorable, casted as sickly sister Beth. Janet Leigh and Mary Astor also contribute their talents, making this film a must-see for every family.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful movie!, Jan. 4 2003
This review is from: Little Women (VHS Tape)
This is one of my favourite books to movies. What is missing in the Ryder version is found here, so they compliment each other well. I would love to add this to my collection, but find videos outdated, at this point and time, like a cassette in a sea of CD's. Please put this lovely, timeless classic on DVD so all may enjoy! The four girls are perfectly cast in this version and though it does not have the visual richness of the Ryder version, it reminds one of a Victorian Christmas card! DVD please!

5.0 out of 5 stars Little Women June Allyson, Elizabeth Taylor, Peter Lawford, Sept. 7 2002
Jenny Shilaff (San Francisco, California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Little Women (VHS Tape)
Do you have a DVD on "Little Women" with Elizabeth Taylor, M. O'Brien, June Allyson, Peter Lawford and Janet Leigh?
I have the DVD with Katharine Hepburn.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why isn't this on DVD?, July 16 2002
Rick D. Barszcz (bristol, ct United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Little Women (VHS Tape)
I know this is a womens' movie but as a guy i really like this film alot. I will skip reviewing the actual story because i'm sure by now everyone in the world has seen this version or the others. However I believe this version is the best. Just check out the cast! You'll never get these kind of actors today never mind a whole lot of them in the same film.Things that i liked most about this film besides the acting was the costumes, the set design and most of all the BGM (background music) I'm a BGM freak. There is no such thing as character (bgm) music anymore. Yes they play music but it is usually the latest tune on the radio but isn't really orchestrated music composed for the film itself. In these older films the BGM reflected each character or tha changing of a scene or mood. The music is suttle but strong, domimate by not over powering. Music helps to tell the story of this powerful drama. This is by far one of the best music scores next to "GWTW". I would just like to see this film put on DVD.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Little Women 49
Little Women 49 by Mervyn LeRoy (DVD - 2003)
CDN$ 118.58