5.0 out of 5 stars Great Film
Published 13 months ago by Pamela B.

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware False DVD Packaging
Published on March 7 2004

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware False DVD Packaging, March 7 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Cabaret (DVD)
While this is probably not a bone of contention with most viewers, I think it's worth noting for those that do pay attention to these things, especially if you base your purchases on them, as I did in this case. The packaging on this newer DVD edition of "Cabaret" states that it is an anamorphic transfer (i.e. "Enhanced for Widescreen TVs"). It is NOT. This is the SAME disc as before, with new a label on it.
They merely changed the packaging, I guess, so that they could mention "Chicago" in the description on the back cover and tie it into the heat for that film. Shame on you, Warner Bros. We all work hard for our money and deserve better than to believe we're buying a new anamorphic transfer, when you are really marketing the exact same discs as before.

1.0 out of 5 stars PLEASE PLEASE Don't buy this!, March 19 2004
Mr. G. Snow - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cabaret (DVD)
CABARET is one of the greatest movie musicals ever. I adore it. It is flawless, IMHO.
Why, then am I giving it one star? Because, as others have said, Warners should be ashamed of themselves. This is not the first, but the SECOND release of this movie in a non-anamorphic transfer. I bought the original and was mighty p****ed because it was non-anamorphic. I thought they would have honored this magnificent film in the "anniversary" release. But no. It is, as stated by another reviewer, the same disc as before, in terms of picture quality.
On a small TV you won't notice. But if you care about these things, then believe me, this release sucks big time. As did the first one.
I'm angry, not at being ripped off (I sent this one back for a refund) but because a wonderful work of art has been abused by a greedy, careless film company. And I have been robbed of the chance to see the film in its glory.
Having said that, nothing could improve the truly dreadful sound quality - which was terrible from day one.
I don't suppose there ever will be another release of this movie. What a terrible shame.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Film, March 20 2013
I watched this film when I was in my late teens when it first came out and was totally blown away by the acting and found it both entertaining and also of historical value. I am German so it had quite an impact. I am now in my 50's and watched it again for the second time with a very different eye. My heritage, my life experiences etc. made me see/watch this Film with a very different perspective. I found it now as I did then 'macabre' but full of ugly truths pulled together in a unique and fascinating genre. The meaning and depth of this movie would be lost on the younger generation, as they do not teach the history of WWII the way the did when we Zoomers were in school.
This Film brings home the brutality and reality of that time in a very interesting format.
I highly recommend watching this both for historical information and entertainment. It is NOT a Film to be taken lightly.
The acting was exemplary, profound and amazing....
Pamela Blezard

3.0 out of 5 stars Cabaret off stage, Feb. 20 2014
Cranky Don (Victoria, BC Canada) - See all my reviews
After witnessing a local amatuer production)one of several seen over 20 years) the idea that re-visiting this Academy Award film version seemed appropriate. But the notion changed to distain as the film revolked the delight of the "cabaret" s entertainment even with the shadow of National Socialism looming large. This film destroys the intimicy of the stage replacing it with a story. So the film lost the stage and the play lost its heart. And its age showed and everything was wrong. Now I have more reasons to visit the theatre.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great movie, Feb. 12 2014
The performances by Joel Grey and Liza Minelli are some for the ages!! Outstanding, will never be duplicated!!! A must see!!

5.0 out of 5 stars LEAVE YOUR TROUBLES OUTSIDE!, July 11 2013
A STONE-COLD CLASSIC. Liza is, of course, amazing. The film 'Chicago' owes a lot to this genre-defining hit. Digibook a nice touch, with tons of intersting facts and photos.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cabaret, June 26 2013
This is one of my favorite movies. I know it doesn't appeal to everyone but I love it! The music is superb as is the acting. Liza Minelli is at her best. The story I'm sure is true for that time, even the scene where the German people are singing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great purchase, Sept. 9 2012
R. Paquette (Granby, QC Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cabaret (DVD)
We knew the movie and had watched it long ago, shortly after its initial release. It's a classic featuring Bob Fosse's talented choregraphy. Product arrived in good condition shortly after it was ordered and it was rather inexpensive.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cabaret, May 20 2012
This review is from: Cabaret (DVD)
A classic movie -- great songs and actors. The movie setting is pre-WWII however the changes that are happening in Berlin are seen as the Nazi party gets more powerful. Also the movie shows the misfits of society and how they cope with life (including cross-dressers and prostitutes).

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST, July 12 2004
Henning Sebastian Jahre "Judy-Viv" (Oslo, Norway) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cabaret (DVD)
As for musical-drama concerned... THIS IS IT! The producers of Chicago should have seen this(indeed they did - every major moment in that film is "stolen" from Cabaret) and put REAL musical stars in the film.
When u have Joel and Liza u are not let down... I give flowergreetings to the entire cast and crew... The filmversion of Cabaret has a lot of "new songs"(Maybe This Time, Mein Herr, The Money Song) and the plot follows the 1955-movie "I AM A CAMERA" more than the stage musical. Since then; the Liza-songs have found themselves in numerous revivals of this stageplay since this 1972-masterpiece. The film is still frightening and raw......Trivia: The scene in which Liza meets Marisa they talk about diseases... On video, here in Europe at least, that was cut....

ARRAY(0xb2aa242c)

Cabaret
Cabaret by Bob Fosse (DVD - 2003)
CDN$ 18.70 CDN$ 6.60