4.0 out of 5 stars Where do you even buy this game?
I played it once at my buddies house, WOW, it reminds me so much of Final Fantasy Tactics with more humor than anything else. This game is really deep to!

I cant seem to get this game anywhere, I'm dissapointed and thought Amazon would have it considering they have the best, but no, Out of stock! The same goes with Tactics Ogre: The knights of lodis for the...
Published on July 9 2006 by C. Mayer

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not for me
Published on Nov. 29 2003 by Ben

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it, Dec 28 2003
George Rownd (Rochester, MN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Disgaea: Hour of Darkness (Video Game)
It is an RPG and thats the only reason it doesnt smell like radioactive sludge balls. Don't listen to the other people who fell in love with these graphics. Imagine a grown person staring at a static television with drule gussing from their mouths screaming and laughing. Thats how bad the graphics are. The characters are plausible. The Plot is amiable. The sound is credible. Watching the children do their dances is fairly boring and takes along time. Stick to Final Fantasy X and X-2

4.0 out of 5 stars RPG Itch is the virus, Disgaea is the Cure, Dec 20 2003
This review is from: Disgaea: Hour of Darkness (Video Game)
I mentioned before, Atlus is known to always "wow" reviewers and gamers by their RPG's that offer incredible strategy and a beautiful story.
Disgaea: Hour of Darkness is their latest creation, it has incredibly deep gameplay, top notch voice acting, cartoonish yet stylish graphics, a beautiful story, and over 40 hours of gameplay with multiple endings.
The battle system is extremely sophisticated and strategic. You can control multiple characters on a huge battlefield while unleashing over 100+ special attacks and "spells" to lay waste to your enemies.
The options of battle don't stop there either, you can also use your environment to your advantage. Because in some battlefields there are "geo panels" layed on the ground, each panel has different effects. For instance, some boost the attack power of your enemies if they are in the vecinity of the panel. But on the flipside, you can have geo panels that boost your attack power and so on. If you use the geo panels right, you can decimate a whole flock of enemies with one attack by destroying it. It sounds complicated, but once you play it, you will get used to it very quickly.
Another battle feature is the "pick up" and "throw". They allow you to pick up enemies or allies and throw them closer to an object or person. In example, say you pick up an party member of yours, you can throw them closer to an enemy so they can attack them. Or if you pick up an enemy, you can throw them on one of their characters inflicting damage on both people.
The story is about a Prince named Latharl. He has just awaken from a long sleep, only to find out thay his father, King Krichevskoy, has passed away. The kingdom is now in ruin since his father has died and it has been taken over by a mysterious force. Now, foul beings are causing chaos and destruction trying to gain supremacy over one another. Prince Latharl and his aid named, Etna, now have to battle to regain control over their kingdom and world.
The graphics in this game are good, they are not what they could be, but they are not ugly. I just think they could have done better. On the other hand, the effects for spells and other animations are very good.
The sound was superb, the voice acting was excellent, the music was great. Everything in the audio department was top notch quality.
Atlus has certainly out done theirselves with the voice acting. Every line in the game that a character has is voice spoken, not just text. You can either have it on Japanese or you can have it in English. Both laungages were done perfectly, although I prefer the Japanese.
All in all, this game was a great experience. I think you will definitely love it if you love a good RPG, especially if your a fan of games like Final Fantasy Tactics. I actually prefer this game over Final Fantasy Tactics.
Hit
+Great visual effects
+Great character designs
+Great sound and voice acting
+Deep gameplay that is very involving
+Great story that drives the player to the end
Miss
_Graphics could have been better

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not for me, Nov. 29 2003
This review is from: Disgaea: Hour of Darkness (Video Game)
I was excited about this game when I first realized it was very similar to Final Fantasy Tactics and Vandal Hearts. But after I had it for a short while, I discovered I wasn't really having much fun playing it. I think one of the contributing factors for this fact was the inclusion of a game mechanic called the Geo Panel system. It is very confusing. Of course, you can just ignore the Geo Panels and continue to play in the normal vein of turn-based RPG's. I do actually appreciate the game makers including something new to "shake things up" a bit. But the more I tried to learn this new game mechanic and incorporate using it into my campaign, the more I found myself becoming more and more disenchanted with the game.
Oh sure, if I had wanted to truly invest the time in learning how to play with the Geo Panels, I would have gotten it eventually. But every time I thought I had the Geo Panel system figured out, it invariably would not work the way I thought it would - and I got very frustrated. In a nutshell, while others love the Geo Panel system, I did not.
It is still a good, deep, and involved game. Just what you would expect from a quality Final Fantasy Tactics-like turn-based RPG.
As far as the story goes, I think I would have preferred a more epic "rescue the princess" or "save the world" thread, instead of the intentionally half-ridiculous story that it is. But I did thouroughly enjoy the hand-drawn artwork; very high quality anime there.
I returned my copy of Disgaea and bought a new American-made turn-based RPG called Gladius. I like it much better and am having a lot more fun playing it than I did with Disgaea.
Disgaea is indeed a decent game, but, I myself, just don't have the wherewithal anymore to drag myself over the very steep learning curve that is required to get the very most out of this game.

4.0 out of 5 stars Raw Japanese Insanity, Nov. 24 2003
Matthew Warner (Providence, RI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Disgaea: Hour of Darkness (Video Game)
Disgaea is going to be a love-it-or-hate-it game for nearly everyone who picks it up, and it's not hard to see which side of the fence you'll fall on. Chances are, if this game is indeed going to be up your alley, you've already heard of it, and probably own it. If you're not sure, however, or maybe if you're a vanilla gamer who's out to try something new, then this might just be the next big thing.
The plot of Disgaea looks relatively simple from a distance. Laharl, prince of the Underworld, awakens from a two-year nap to find that some things have gone wrong while he was dreaming. His father has died, and since he wasn't conscious to acceed the throne, the former vassals of the king are now scurrying to take the position that should rightfully be his. Laharl gears up and sets about to reclaim his place as ruler through any means necessary.
And from here, the plot will quickly descend into what can only be described as Japanese Insanity. In Laharl's travels, he'll encounter Angels that want to be ninjas, soldiers that want to be The Power Rangers, demons with lost memories, zombies made ultra-powerful through a particularly unusual endowment, spirits of the dead that serve pennance dressed in penguin costumes, alternate dimensions hidden within items, and an Underworld Governmental Assembly where "physical persuasion" is often necessary to get laws passed.
Seems relatively straightforeward, right?
Ah, but therein lies the rub, and also where the game gets it's charm. All that plot insanity carries over to the game's actual play mechanics as well. Disgaea is not a game that takes itself seriously. In fact, it doesn't take anything seriously whatsoever, ESPECIALLY basic game mechanics. It isn't ten minutes before starting that the game is gleefully skewering nearly every convention of the Tactical RPG genre imaginable.
For example, most Tactical RPGs keep statistics on the player's characters. Win battles with them and they become more powerful, typically indicated in the character's "level." A level 3 character at the beginning of the game will usually cap out at level 80 or so, with 99 being the absolute maximum. This holds true with Disgaea as well, and in a standard game, a level 90 character is indeed quite powerful and can stand up to some of the toughest battles in the main storyline...But why stop there? The maximum character level in Disgaea, should you feel like putting the time in to train them that high, is 9,999.
Yeah.
It's completely pointless, as there is no way that even the most powerful enemies in the game's most secret hidden dungeons (of which there are several) could ever stand up to such a powerful character, nevermind how long it would take to level them to that point - we're talking well over 100 hours, and that's if you're doing it really fast. However, at the end of the day, it's POSSIBLE to do such a thing. Really, that's the most important statement here. After all, you may not NEED to get your characters to anywhere close to that level, but if you WANT to do it...Why not?
Why not, indeed. One gets the feeling that the game's designers have long been fans of the genre, but when the time came to make decisions on things like level caps and attack ratings, the question "Why not?" came into play quite a bit. Ten controllable characters at a time? Well, why not? The ability for characters to pick each other up and toss them around the map, thereby getting around most movement restrictions per turn? Sure! Exploding penguins? Exploding penguins! The list goes on and on...
This could be a problem in other games, but Disgaea manages to pull it all off because, at it's heart, the tried-and-true methods of the genre are all here, and they all work flawlessly. They're just completely unshackled, and the really mavelous thing is that it still works.
And it's this key aspect that may very well kill the game for a lot of people. In order for Disgaea to be fun, you have to see all this as a good thing, which, to the uninitiated, is a difficult thing to do. The concept of going through a 100-floor randomly generated dungeon in order to level up a particular sword's base statistics will strike some people as brilliant, and some others as stupid. The fairly low (though very efficient) production values don't really give the game any added punch, and as a whole, it's really something that's aimed squarely at fans.
The game knows it's audience, but doesn't try to extend beyond that. If the features mentioned in this review strike you as something you'd want to play, then buy this game; you won't regret it at all. If you're unsure, however, then chances are this game's brilliance will fall flat for you.
It's a fans-only party, but those who "get it" will have an absolute blast.

4.0 out of 5 stars At last!! A Game for the Depraved Masses!!, Nov. 23 2003
This review is from: Disgaea: Hour of Darkness (Video Game)
Finally, a game that appeals to my twisted sense of humor! When I read about this game in EGM my first thought was, "exploding penguins? What in the world..." I had to get this game and I'm glad I did.
First of all, this isn't your normal strategy RPG. Once you finish the game you actually have a chance to start it all over again... with the same stats you ended it with. Do I have your attention yet?
Next there's literally hundreds of character classes and they all can make use of an array of weapons (although there are penalties for using a weapon character isn't familiar with) and there's a HUGE amount of growth potential and a ridiculously high character level cap of 9999.
Then there are the little extra features that really mess with your head: Geo Panels with different effects (teleportation, cloning, deffense and attack increases and decreases, etc.) when you character steps on them, the Dark Assembly where you can make proposals that change aspects of the game, and the Item World where you can level up items and obtain new ones.
But the thing I love the most about this game are the characters. I have never seen such a group of lunatics in my life. The dialogue is just too crazy. Examples:
Vyers - Are you blind to the horde of demons lining up to fight for the throne?
Laharl (smirk) - So? I'm the heir. That's all that matters.
Laharl - If they've forgotten, then I'll just have to make them remember.
Vyers (smirk) - I see. So you saw my potential and decided to strike first against moi...
Vyers (smirk) - Such wonderful intuition... Well played, son of Krichevskoy.
Laharl - I've never even heard of you. It's only a coincidence that we're here.
Laharl - You're just a tiny stepping stone on my path to the throne.
Vyers (anger) - *gasp* How dare you! I'm the Dark Adonis Vy...
Laharl - Who gives a d*** about you? Your new name is "Mid-Boss".
Mid-Boss (anger) - Mi, Mi, Mid-Boss!?
Etna - I don't know what kindness feels like, but he was a great man, and one
that I respected.
Etna - That's why I pledged to him my deepest loyalty.
Etna (pissed) - But, the Prince... He's still not fit to succeed King
Krichevskoy as the Overlord.
Flonne - So, that's why you want Laharl to become just like his father...?
Flonne (happy) - *giggle* I see. You worry about Laharl after all.
Flonne (happy) - That's love.
Etna (smug) - I doubt it. If he fails, I'll just kill him.
Flonne (anime-worry) - WHAT!?
Etna (smirk) - Ahaha... Just kidding.
-Exit Etna-
Flonne (anime-worry) - Etna... You're starting to scare me...
Robot - BEEP BEEP BLIP BEEP...
Gordon - Oh, sorry 'bout that. Of course I didn't forget you, Thursday.
Thursday - GORDON KEEPS STARING AT JENNIFER'S THIGHS. PERVERT PERVERT PERVERT...
Gordon (serious) - Hey! Why you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Game--Killer of Final Fantasy Tactics, Nov. 7 2003
This review is from: Disgaea: Hour of Darkness (Video Game)
I rented this game thinking to test drive it before I got it for a friend who likes this Genre. Now I own it, you do the math.
This is an excellent game the graphics are excellent, the characters are amusing (explosive penguins rule) The possiblities are endless.
Story excellent
The story basically revolves around your character Laharl whose father was the ruler of the underworld after two years you wake up from a nap and realize Other Demons have the audacity to try to claim your throne. This of course can not be tolerated
Characters Excellent
Your character is well done, and the enemies and your teammates are all well done characters. Most are quite well rounded esp one of the angels and your second in command. (sorry trying not to give spoilers so no names)
Graphics/Cutscenes Excellent
Were beautifully done very pleasant backgrounds and the cutscenes are top notch often with your characters as a cartoon in front of a background of the battlefield you are about to stand on. Oddly though sometimes the characters spoke as well as being subtitled other times they didn't seemed kind odd to me but wasn't neccesarily a bad thing just strange, the real important stuff is usually said.
Music Very Good
This was quite nice I enjoyed it and it was usually appropriate to background and story.
Replay Perfect
You can level your characters to level 1000 and there are literally limitless levels I think that counts as pretty replayable.
Gameplay Excellent
After a quick read of the manual you will have a firm enough grasp to play easily, may take a while to master all the idiosynchracies but most of them are pretty optional if you want to deprive yourself of the fun.
(still a good thing though because I can't tell you how many times I have stopped playing a game before beating it because I got sick of it--FFX comes to mind)

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Time Filler, Nov. 5 2003
J. Miller (Pana, Illinois United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Disgaea: Hour of Darkness (Video Game)
Lately I haven really been the type to buy games until they've been marked down at least twice. However for some insane reason I picked this game up very soon after it came out based on one person's recommendation. Sounds like a mix for disappointment personally but in the end it was a good idea.
For the most part I really hate these grid based Tactical RPGs. Final Fantasy Tactics was frustratingly boring/difficult/lame after like 4 battles. This game is ten times the game FFT was. The battles are much quicker for one thing, especially if you're replaying old matches for experience. Also you can move all your characters on one turn, something I really hated in FFT. Though I must admit after a few days of regular playing it gets a little old. I find eventually become a bit tired of this game and become distracted by other games or other things going on.
However, the game is easy to come back to, and the charm picks back up almost immediately. This game is a very good game. That is to say, its something good to pick up and play when you have nothing else to play.
Anyway, how about some information on the game itself. You are Laharl, son of the late Lord of the Underworld, your mission is to defeat everyone else and become the new Overlord. Its about time someone made a game where you play as the villain, or at least the less than heroic character. As you battle through various locations eliminating other contenders for the throne. You'll gain several of the characters you encounter to your party to assist you in combat.
You'll need more than just the story characters though if you want to make quick work of things. Any of the characters in your party can recruit followers from a large list of characters. New classes and upgrades of classes become available as your existing characters gain experience. One minor complaint, It would have been nice if the class upgrades would have gotten new sprite (graphics) instead of just recolors, but I suppose that would have made things a little too confusing.
You can also recruit any monster you've battled before, but the cost of doing so is generally excessive for as weak as they are. If you want monsters, the real way to do it is to capture them. If you've weekend a monster in battle you can pick it up and toss it into your home base panel. If the monster is weak enough and the party members in the panel are strong enough, you'll capture the monster.
It doesn't take an eternity to gain levels either. I once made a new level 1 character and had her kill a very strong (weakened) monster and she gained 19 levels in one fight. She was ready to battle along side my stronger characters in no time. Which is really nice since otherwise I$B!G(Bd have had an essentially useless character that late in the game. Also this is the only RPG I can think of where levels go into the hundreds and thousands.
Speaking of levels, you can level up a lot of things. All your characters have regular experience levels of course. Each character can also level up their special abilities, magic spells, and weapon skills for each weapon type. These levels are dependent on how much you use the skill or weapon. Weapons and items themselves can be leveled up as well. You enter the Item World and fight through maps repeatedly. Each map cleared is a level up for the item/weapon. Along your trip through the item world you collect Residents. The Residents are special monsters that give bonus status effects to weapons and items. Once you've collected a Resident you can also move it to another more useful or more powerful item.
There is also the Underworld Senate. You can bring bills to the Senate for things like "Better items for Sale" or "Stronger Monsters". The probability that they will pass depends on your favor with the senators. By bribing the senators with items you can gain more favor. Also if you're strong enough you can challenge the senators that vote against you to a battle. You can also take tests to increase your level in the senate.
Back to the core of the game, battles. Like I mentioned, they are fairly quick and generally easy. They do get more difficult in the later worlds, but there are some easy tricks you can use to gain levels quickly. One of the main gimmicks in battle are the colored Geo Panels. Random squares on the map will be colored one of several colors. There are also colored Geo Stones lying around the maps (Note: Not every map has Geo Panels). The stones add affects to the colored panels. For example, a stone may have the effect "Recover 20%" and it's sitting on a red panel. This will cause every red panel to recover 20% of the HP of any character on that space. The Geo panels also affect monsters, so some strategy has to be used sometimes. There are a ton of different effects from "Enemy Boost" to "Warp" to "Invincibility". Also you can initiate massive chain reactions by destroying Geo Stones on the Geo Panels. These chain reactions are often the only way to gain bonuses on some maps.
Also, in battle characters will often initiate combination attacks with nearby characters. If done correctly it$B!G(Bs possible to do many more hits of damage than you would have done with single attacks. Also you can toss monsters or heroes around to help cover more ground. Monsters can be combined into stronger monsters for more experience as well.
Unfortunately, I am out of space, bottom line is that this is a really fun RPG. There are a few points I didn't even get to touch such as the quirky plot or other battle features.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Time Filler..., Nov. 5 2003
J. Miller (Pana, Illinois United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Disgaea: Hour of Darkness (Video Game)
Lately I haven$B!G(Bt been the type to buy games until they've been marked down at least twice. However for some insane reason I picked this game up very soon after it came out based on one person's recommendation. Sounds like a mix for disappointment personally but in the end it was a good idea.
However, the game is easy to come back to, and the charm picks back up almost immediately. This game is a very good $B!H(Bfiller game$B!I(B. That is to say, it$B!G(Bs something good to pick up and play for a week or so when you have nothing else to play.
Anyway, how about some information on the game itself. You are Laharl, son of the late Lord of the Underworld, your mission is to defeat everyone else and become the new Overlord. It$B!G(Bs about time someone made a game where you play as the $B!H(Bvillain$B!I(B, or at least the less than heroic character. As you battle through various locations eliminating other contenders for the throne. You$B!G(Bll gain several of the characters you encounter to your party to assist you in combat.
You$B!G(Bll need more than just the story characters though if you want to make quick work of things. Any of the characters in your party can recruit followers from a large list of characters. New classes and upgrades of classes become available as your existing characters gain experience. One minor complaint, It would have been nice if the class upgrades would have gotten new sprite (graphics) instead of just recolors, but I suppose that would have made things a little too confusing.
You can also recruit any monster you$B!G(Bve battled before, but the cost of doing so is generally excessive for as weak as they are. If you want monsters, the real way to do it is to capture them. If you$B!G(Bve weekend a monster in battle you can pick it up and toss it into your home base panel. If the monster is weak enough and the party members in the panel are strong enough, you$B!G(Bll capture the monster.
It doesn$B!G(Bt take an eternity to gain levels either. I once made a new level 1 character and had her kill a very strong (weakened) monster and she gained 19 levels in one fight. She was ready to battle along side my stronger characters in no time. Which is really nice since otherwise I$B!G(Bd have had an essentially useless character that late in the game. Also this is the only RPG I can think of where levels go into the hundreds and thousands.
Speaking of levels, you can level up a lot of things. All your characters have regular experience levels of course. Each character can also level up their special abilities, magic spells, and weapon skills for each weapon type. These levels are dependent on how much you use the skill or weapon. Weapons and items themselves can be leveled up as well. You enter the Item World and fight through maps repeatedly. Each map cleared is a level up for the item/weapon. Along your trip through the item world you collect Residents. The Residents are special monsters that give bonus status effects to weapons and items. Once you$B!G(Bve collected a Resident you can also move it to another more useful or more powerful item.
There is also the Underworld Senate. You can bring bills to the Senate for things like $B!H(BBetter items for Sale$B!I(B or $B!H(BStronger Monsters$B!I(B. The probability that they will pass depends on your favor with the senators. By bribing the senators with items you can gain more favor. Also if you$B!G(Bre strong enough you can challenge the senators that vote against you to a battle. You can also take tests to increase your level in the senate.
Back to the core of the game, battles. Like I mentioned, they are fairly quick and generally easy. They do get more difficult in the later worlds, but there are some easy tricks you can use to gain levels quickly. One of the main gimmicks in battle are the colored Geo Panels. Random squares on the map will be colored one of several colors. There are also colored Geo Stones lying around the maps (Note: Not every map has Geo Panels). The stones add affects to the colored panels. For example, a stone may have the effect $B!H(BRecover 20%$B!I(B and it$B!G(Bs sitting on a red panel. This will cause every red panel to recover 20% of the HP of any character on that space. The Geo panels also affect monsters, so some strategy has to be used sometimes. There are a ton of different effects from $B!H(BEnemy Boost$B!I(B to $B!H(BWarp$B!I(B to $B!H(BInvincibility$B!I(B. Also you can initiate massive chain reactions by destroying Geo Stones on the Geo Panels. These chain reactions are often the only way to gain bonuses on some maps.
Unfortunately, I am out of space, bottom line is that this is a really fun RPG. There are a few points I didn$B!G(Bt even get to touch such as the quirky plot or other battle features.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like SRPGs? Then buy this game.. NOW., Nov. 2 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Disgaea: Hour of Darkness (Video Game)
Disgaea is a great game, complete with duel language track, and some really funny dialouge in the short story scenes there are. It has it all, from Power Ranger wannabees to people be exiled for stealing pretzels. And of course... exploding penguins! Seeing as you can create any character from a group of classes, some people create these penguins to be literal nukes, dealing around a million damage. Seem like a lot? Not to worry, this particular game lets you level to around 9999.
However, next to all the brillance, there is a slight graphical problem.. Graphically, it's a playstation game. Simple as that, they could have made it on the playstation, if it wasn't for the duel language track, and other space munching additions. The graphics make it more of a game for anime fans... in other words, people like me.
So in overview, if you like SRPGs, or you don't mind a bit of sexual content (Nothing major) or slight graphical problems, and you do like anime-ish characters... (yes, a lot of conditions, most of which have no meaning if you like the humor) BUY. THIS. GAME. NOW.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hey it's me Levi Stacko....again, Oct. 30 2003
This review is from: Disgaea: Hour of Darkness (Video Game)
Here is my e-mail address, you can ask me anything about this game. Burnout44129@yahoo.com

ARRAY(0xa7b80e1c)

Disgaea: Hour of Darkness
Disgaea: Hour of Darkness by Atlus Software (PlayStation2)
CDN$ 29.99 CDN$ 23.99