5.0 out of 5 stars The Monument to the Golden Age of Satire
For those of us that remember the Golden Age of political and social satire - the late '60s through late '70s - this movie a complete joy. I've read many critical reviews, finding Animal House lame compared to American Pie, etc. You can't compare them. Modern film "satire", as represented by Pie, seems to equate satire with explicit references to alchohol, drugs,...
Published on April 3 2004 by Martin Sulkanen

3.0 out of 5 stars Forced to watch promos
Published on Sept. 1 2003 by George Stoll

3.0 out of 5 stars Forced to watch promos, Sept. 1 2003
George Stoll (New York, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: National Lampoon's: Animal House (Double Secret Probation Edition) (DVD)
Everyone else seemed to cover the content of the DVD, but I'd just like to rant about a new device that Universal has forced on the DVD buying public where everytime you want to view the disc you have to sit through several promos for upcoming releases. It took about 8 minutes before the main menu would come up and, at least my player would not allow me to forward to the menu earlier promting the warning "Not Permitted" when I would try. But thankfully, I only rented this, so I'm only slightly bitter.:-)

1.0 out of 5 stars Buy the 1998 DVD release instead, Sept. 1 2003
By A Customer
I purchased this and then returned it after learning of the five minutes of previews and commercials that are required to be played before getting to the movie. Universal, long the worst DVD producer in Hollywood, has outdone themselves with this one. Who would consider sitting through five minutes of junk that cannot be forwarded past every time they want to see this film? Ridiculous. After their problems with the Back the Future II and III recall and the Jurassic Park disc mail-in, you'd think they'd try harder not to inconvenience their fans. They clearly don't care. So I don't care to buy their products.

1.0 out of 5 stars Excellent movie, but the forced adds are what kill it!, Jan. 13 2004
Ivan K. Samuelson "Bolski" (OH USA) - See all my reviews
First off, I love Animal House. There is no reason for me to even explain the movie. Animal House and the Blues Brothers are the best Landis/Belushi movies of all time. There are some special features such as a "Where are they now" featurette featuring many of the original cast (except Belushi of course). But, even those features and this excellent movie cannot save this DVD from a one-star rating.
As others have stated, not being able to skip the adds at the beginning of the DVD is a poor marketing decision. They did the same with American Wedding, but at least, I can hit stop on my DVD player to stop the DVD, whereas with Animal House, I have to turn off my DVD player. Very poor.
I have already written to Universal Studios about my displeasure with their decision for both Animal House and American Wedding and have informed them that unless they change their tactics, I refuse to purchase another Universal DVD release and that hundreds of other purchasers feel the same, based on reviews at Amazon.com.
Stay away from this if you absolutely feel that not being able to skip the adds is wrong. Otherwise, be prepared to sit through 5+ minutes of commercials for other Universal movies. Your best bet is to go make some popcorn and come back. At that point, it should be done and then you can enjoy this excellent, funny parody of life in a frat house in the late 60s.
Toga! Toga! Toga!

1.0 out of 5 stars Say no to Universal's FORCED spam on DVDs, Feb. 4 2004
J Metcalf (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
Thanks to the other reviews here I now know not to buy this DVD. Forcing you to watch a ton of commercials every single time you put the disc in your player is apalling. Stay away from Universal's DVDs unless they knock it off. If you're the type of person who loves having an inbox full of spam, you should enjoy this DVD.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this DVD - mandatory, unskippable ads, Sept. 4 2003
By A Customer
I'd give it 0 stars if that was an option. Universal thinks I should watch several "previews" - (translation - advertisements) prior to watching my new DVD (that I paid for).
The ads cannot be skipped, cannot be stopped, you can't hit "menu" to get to the main menu. A complete joke, and an insulting slap in the face to everyone who BOUGHT the DVD instead of downloading it.
I suggest you avoid this DVD. There is no point buying, it just encourages Universal to make more DVDs with more unskippable ads. The copy I bought will be returned to the place of purchase. If they won't give a refund, perhaps Universal will. If they refuse, maybe they'll see us in small claims court.

1.0 out of 5 stars Double Secret Probation Edition = RIPOFF, Feb. 3 2004
By A Customer
I own the original release on dvd. I purchased the new release Double Secret Probation under the false pretenses that there was a difference. The few bonus features and lack of quality thereof leave this DVD lacking.
Good job hollywood .. and you wonder why everyones stealing movies?

1.0 out of 5 stars Put Universal on Double Secret Probation for this mess, Aug. 29 2003
Alexander M. Smith (Washington, DC United States) - See all my reviews
Unbelievable.....this is one of the greatest comedies of all time while simultaneously being one of THE WORST DVD's of all time. Every time I want to watch the movie I HAVE TO SIT THROUGH FIVE MINUTES OF PREVIEWS????!!!!???? Oh the friggin' humanity. They pulled the previous DVD off the shelves in order to produce this? This dreck? No commentary? No deleted scenes? But hey! We get to watch a new video of "Shout" by some anonymous no talent band that has absolutely nothing to do with the actual movie! My life is complete! Shame on Universal for being so utterly stupid, incompetent and uncaring.

1.0 out of 5 stars Forced Advertisements - don't buy this disk!, Aug. 29 2003
Scott Schuckert "scotts13" (Quakertown, PA USA) - See all my reviews
This disk forces you to sit and watch appoximately 5 minutes of promotional materials for a half dozen other Universal releases - each and every time you use it! The "Menu" key and others are disabled until the prom has run it's course.
Let's not encourage this trend - don't buy this disk and return it if you have. BTW, the picture and sound quality ARE a bit better than prior editions, which makes this more of a shame. The "Special Materials" are unimpressive. The movie itself, of course is one of the best.

1.0 out of 5 stars I second that, Sept. 6 2003
As the Amazon blurb states, it's lowbrow humor, but sometimes that's just the ticket.
Why the low low rating? Because I, too, was made absolutely LIVID by the fascist tactic of being forced to watch a bunch of stupid ads. I came close to ripping the DVD out of the player and smashing it. Bloody stupid move; the same mentality as spamming and telemarketing.
Rest assured that I will no longer just buy these lower-priced releases until I see a few reviews and none of them mention this type of vile abuse of the medium.

1.0 out of 5 stars More about unstoppable previews, Sept. 5 2003
Raymond Ullmer (Mahwah, NJ, USA) - See all my reviews
I am going to return this DVD, and any other DVD that I purchase in the future that makes me watch 5 minutes of previews before allowing me to get to a menu EVERYTIME I insert the disk.
Further, although I'm not 100% sure, I think there have been changes made to the soundtrack, in that some of the original songs have been removed and replaced with others. More insult.
Recommend you STAY AWAY.

National Lampoon's: Animal House (Double Secret Probation Edition)
CDN$ 9.99 CDN$ 5.97