5.0 out of 5 stars I think I found the way
Through experimentation, I think I found a good way to pass the commercials quickly: did anyone ever think of the "MENU" key? It works. If it doesn't on some, then dang it all.
Published on June 15 2004 by Jack Treese

3.0 out of 5 stars Forced to watch promos
Published on Sept. 1 2003 by George Stoll

3.0 out of 5 stars Forced to watch promos, Sept. 1 2003
George Stoll (New York, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: National Lampoon's: Animal House (Double Secret Probation Edition) (DVD)
Everyone else seemed to cover the content of the DVD, but I'd just like to rant about a new device that Universal has forced on the DVD buying public where everytime you want to view the disc you have to sit through several promos for upcoming releases. It took about 8 minutes before the main menu would come up and, at least my player would not allow me to forward to the menu earlier promting the warning "Not Permitted" when I would try. But thankfully, I only rented this, so I'm only slightly bitter.:-)

1.0 out of 5 stars Say no to Universal's FORCED spam on DVDs, Feb. 4 2004
J Metcalf (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
Thanks to the other reviews here I now know not to buy this DVD. Forcing you to watch a ton of commercials every single time you put the disc in your player is apalling. Stay away from Universal's DVDs unless they knock it off. If you're the type of person who loves having an inbox full of spam, you should enjoy this DVD.

1.0 out of 5 stars Double Secret Probation Edition = RIPOFF, Feb. 3 2004
By A Customer
I own the original release on dvd. I purchased the new release Double Secret Probation under the false pretenses that there was a difference. The few bonus features and lack of quality thereof leave this DVD lacking.
Good job hollywood .. and you wonder why everyones stealing movies?

1.0 out of 5 stars Buy the 1998 DVD release instead, Sept. 1 2003
By A Customer
I purchased this and then returned it after learning of the five minutes of previews and commercials that are required to be played before getting to the movie. Universal, long the worst DVD producer in Hollywood, has outdone themselves with this one. Who would consider sitting through five minutes of junk that cannot be forwarded past every time they want to see this film? Ridiculous. After their problems with the Back the Future II and III recall and the Jurassic Park disc mail-in, you'd think they'd try harder not to inconvenience their fans. They clearly don't care. So I don't care to buy their products.

5.0 out of 5 stars I think I found the way, June 15 2004

1.0 out of 5 stars Excellent movie, but the forced adds are what kill it!, Jan. 13 2004
Ivan K. Samuelson "Bolski" (OH USA) - See all my reviews
First off, I love Animal House. There is no reason for me to even explain the movie. Animal House and the Blues Brothers are the best Landis/Belushi movies of all time. There are some special features such as a "Where are they now" featurette featuring many of the original cast (except Belushi of course). But, even those features and this excellent movie cannot save this DVD from a one-star rating.
As others have stated, not being able to skip the adds at the beginning of the DVD is a poor marketing decision. They did the same with American Wedding, but at least, I can hit stop on my DVD player to stop the DVD, whereas with Animal House, I have to turn off my DVD player. Very poor.
I have already written to Universal Studios about my displeasure with their decision for both Animal House and American Wedding and have informed them that unless they change their tactics, I refuse to purchase another Universal DVD release and that hundreds of other purchasers feel the same, based on reviews at Amazon.com.
Stay away from this if you absolutely feel that not being able to skip the adds is wrong. Otherwise, be prepared to sit through 5+ minutes of commercials for other Universal movies. Your best bet is to go make some popcorn and come back. At that point, it should be done and then you can enjoy this excellent, funny parody of life in a frat house in the late 60s.
Toga! Toga! Toga!

1.0 out of 5 stars Say no to forced ads, Jan. 7 2004
By A Customer
At the start of the DVD, the watcher is forced to sit through 5 minutes of ads; as others have mentioned, this is really bothersome. I'd be willing to pay more for this DVD if there was an ad-free version available. The bonus features are so-so...nothing spectacular.

1.0 out of 5 stars Thanks for the warnings on the forced ads, Jan. 3 2004
By A Customer
They just lost my money. What a way to ruin a classic.

1.0 out of 5 stars i don't even own this, Dec 4 2003
By A Customer
I don't even own this, but if what the others say is true about forced advertisements and/or previews, then I want on the hatred bandwagon because that sucks hardcore.

1.0 out of 5 stars Forced Advertisements, Nov. 21 2003
David J. Pinch (Minneapolis, MN) - See all my reviews
Universal has decided to shove advertisements down our throats. Viewers CANNOT skip past the advertisements. You cannot skip to the DVD menu/title, nor can you jump to any chapters until the long previews have been completed. This is insane. Boycott this DVD.

National Lampoon's: Animal House (Double Secret Probation Edition)
CDN$ 9.99 CDN$ 5.97