5.0 out of 5 stars I think I found the way
Through experimentation, I think I found a good way to pass the commercials quickly: did anyone ever think of the "MENU" key? It works. If it doesn't on some, then dang it all.
Published on June 15 2004 by Jack Treese

3.0 out of 5 stars Forced to watch promos
Published on Sept. 1 2003 by George Stoll

3.0 out of 5 stars Forced to watch promos, Sept. 1 2003
George Stoll (New York, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: National Lampoon's: Animal House (Double Secret Probation Edition) (DVD)
Everyone else seemed to cover the content of the DVD, but I'd just like to rant about a new device that Universal has forced on the DVD buying public where everytime you want to view the disc you have to sit through several promos for upcoming releases. It took about 8 minutes before the main menu would come up and, at least my player would not allow me to forward to the menu earlier promting the warning "Not Permitted" when I would try. But thankfully, I only rented this, so I'm only slightly bitter.:-)

1.0 out of 5 stars Say no to Universal's FORCED spam on DVDs, Feb. 4 2004
BBQ (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
Thanks to the other reviews here I now know not to buy this DVD. Forcing you to watch a ton of commercials every single time you put the disc in your player is apalling. Stay away from Universal's DVDs unless they knock it off. If you're the type of person who loves having an inbox full of spam, you should enjoy this DVD.

1.0 out of 5 stars Double Secret Probation Edition = RIPOFF, Feb. 3 2004
By A Customer
I own the original release on dvd. I purchased the new release Double Secret Probation under the false pretenses that there was a difference. The few bonus features and lack of quality thereof leave this DVD lacking.
Good job hollywood .. and you wonder why everyones stealing movies?

5.0 out of 5 stars I think I found the way, June 15 2004

1.0 out of 5 stars Excellent movie, but the forced adds are what kill it!, Jan. 13 2004
Ivan K. Samuelson "Bolski" (OH USA) - See all my reviews
First off, I love Animal House. There is no reason for me to even explain the movie. Animal House and the Blues Brothers are the best Landis/Belushi movies of all time. There are some special features such as a "Where are they now" featurette featuring many of the original cast (except Belushi of course). But, even those features and this excellent movie cannot save this DVD from a one-star rating.
As others have stated, not being able to skip the adds at the beginning of the DVD is a poor marketing decision. They did the same with American Wedding, but at least, I can hit stop on my DVD player to stop the DVD, whereas with Animal House, I have to turn off my DVD player. Very poor.
I have already written to Universal Studios about my displeasure with their decision for both Animal House and American Wedding and have informed them that unless they change their tactics, I refuse to purchase another Universal DVD release and that hundreds of other purchasers feel the same, based on reviews at Amazon.com.
Stay away from this if you absolutely feel that not being able to skip the adds is wrong. Otherwise, be prepared to sit through 5+ minutes of commercials for other Universal movies. Your best bet is to go make some popcorn and come back. At that point, it should be done and then you can enjoy this excellent, funny parody of life in a frat house in the late 60s.
Toga! Toga! Toga!

1.0 out of 5 stars Say no to forced ads, Jan. 7 2004
By A Customer
At the start of the DVD, the watcher is forced to sit through 5 minutes of ads; as others have mentioned, this is really bothersome. I'd be willing to pay more for this DVD if there was an ad-free version available. The bonus features are so-so...nothing spectacular.

1.0 out of 5 stars Thanks for the warnings on the forced ads, Jan. 3 2004
By A Customer
They just lost my money. What a way to ruin a classic.

1.0 out of 5 stars Mandatory Previews; Write to Universal, June 11 2004
Kindle Customer (Hanover Park, IL United States) - See all my reviews
If you want to see reviews of the movie, go to [...] If you want a review of this particular DVD version, read on.
By putting the mandatory (you can only fast forward - and many dvd players only fast forward at one speed) previews in the beginning of the Animal House disk, Universal has lost a heavy DVD purchaser.
When I first realized the previews were of this nature, I immediately wrote to Universal:
Mr. Craig Kornblau
President of Universal Studios Home Video and Executive Vice President/General Manager, Universal Music & Video Distribution
70 Universal City Plaza
Universal City, CA 91608
My main points were:
- "One of the reasons I purchase DVDs instead of VHS tapes is that I greatly value the time-saving feature of skipping chapters and going directly to the title menu when I desire. Essentially, I paid the extra money for a DVD when all that was provided was a VHS tape that can play in my DVD player."
- "Even though I am an avid DVD purchaser, this is the only time I have ever encountered a DVD that so infuriated me. If this matter is not fixed, I will never purchase another DVD released by Universal again, and advise my friends to do the same."
Please write to Univeral. I received a letter in the mail that said their "plan for future relases is to include the ability to bypass trailers by selecting 'Main Menu.'" It doesn't help those of us who purchased this DVD, though.
P.S. About the menu button: the PS2 doesn't have one, and selecting "menu" from the select button's menu does not work.

5.0 out of 5 stars animal house, Feb. 20 2012
Timothy James Hein (ontario) - See all my reviews
great movie enjoyed it on bluray and it was delivered on time and in great condition will buy again, thanks for the purchase!!

1.0 out of 5 stars no more advertising!, July 11 2004
enough!!!! i do not want to be forced to watch advertising on DVD's I buy. this DVD forces you to watch previews, even if you do not want to see them.

ARRAY(0xa8fda7e0)

National Lampoon's: Animal House (Double Secret Probation Edition)
CDN$ 9.99