5.0 out of 5 stars The most beautiful recording ever made.
A glowing and impossibly warm sort of magic fills your soul as you listen to Pet Sounds, and amazing beauty seems to envelope you, embrace you. Pet Sounds is the sound of a man baring his soul, a beautiful sound that is fragile and innocent as well as hard and dissilusioned.
Published on July 9 2004 by Erik Samson

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy Listening, Sort Of
Published on April 16 2004 by Aaron

5.0 out of 5 stars The most beautiful recording ever made., July 9 2004
Erik Samson (San Fransisco, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pet Sounds (Audio CD)
Brian Wilson grew up on Pet Sounds, and finally came into the genius for which he is now known. Gone are the endless references to surfing, cars, and superficial love. The lyrics here are deep and powerful, emotional on levels I never knew existed. The oppening song "Wouldn't it be Nice" is an incredibly passionate song of love, in which Wilson yearns for an affair he cannot have, because alas, he is to young. The song gets you caught up in the emotion and serves as a perfect template for the rest of the album.
Every song is also an instantly memorable classic. "Don't Talk (Put Your Head on My Shoulder)" is tuneful and sweet, and has a magestic, lilting, chorus that always brings a smile to my face. "That's Not Me" tells the story of an innocent young man swept up by his hopes and dreams, and his eventual coming of age. "I Know There's An Answer" has an epic chorus line. "Caroline No" is a sweet and tragic story of the end of adolescent innocence and the harshness of the adult world.
But what truly makes Pet Sounds brilliant is the music. Every single song is a veritible symphony, with multitudes of instruments and notes that rise to castles in the sky. The music sets the tone perfectly. It is low and lamentful on the sadder songs, apologetic and hopeful on songs of regret, and uplifting and epic on songs of happiness. The music of Pet Sounds can sweep you up in overwelming emotions and take you on a journy through every passionate feeling there is. It's definatley a ride worth taking.

4.0 out of 5 stars Get Over It, July 1 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Pet Sounds (Audio CD)
Few albums appear to provoke such strong feelings like Pet Sounds. Its placement atop Rolling Stone's "100 Greatest Albums" list has received considerable praise; and resentment. To emphasize the point, look at this page, which is not so much a collection of "reviews" of the album as it is a message board for Pet Sounds/Beach Boys fans and critics. What a shame.
What is lost in the controversy and debate surrounding the "greatness" of the album, is the album itself. Pet Sounds is a beautiful, unique, and compelling work. That it was an innovative, influential album, praised by critics, fans, and musicians - like Paul McCartney - alike, is irrefutable. Is it THE second greatest album of all time? Who cares? Make up your own mind. Lists like that are only one group of people's opinions and are so subjective, to place much stock in them, much less get worked up over them, is foolish.
And, particularly you Beatles fans here, don't feel so threatened by the album or its "ranking." If Sir Paul isn't sweating the Beach Boys - why should you? I personally find the Beatles early music dull and simple, and the later stuff, contrived and pompous. But I do recognize their place in the annals of rockology. I'm certainly not going to make ridiculous, unfounded statements like, "George Martin actually composed their music," or "Sgt. Pepper is the most overrated album of all time."
If you are going to criticize the Beach Boys and Brian Wilson, at least get your facts straight. For the record, John had Paul, Paul had John, and they both had George Martin. Brian Wilson had Brian Wilson. He wrote and produced Beach Boys albums, like Pet Sounds, entirely by himself. The only thing he collaborated on was LYRICS - not the music - so direct your critiques of the album's lyrics at Tony Asher and don't suggest someone was helping Brian compose or produce the music. Also, don't criticize Brian for using professional studio musicians on his albums; unless you're actually stupid enough to think that's the Fab Four playing the orchestra parts on all those Beatles albums. Its statements like these that only reveal your own ignorance.
No, the Beach Boys didn't smash their guitars, like the Who - or light them on fire, like Hendrix. Brian Wilson wasn't trying to be a poet/preacher like Dylon or Lennon, or a revolutionary like Morrisson. The Beach Boys did their own thing; and some people get it and some people don't. Its as simple as that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly Best Ever Album!--Incredible Variety and Complexity, May 31 2004
William Nichols (Midwest USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pet Sounds (Audio CD)
There are numerous all-time BEST EVER ALBUM lists, and Pet Sounds routinely is at the very top. This album could in time become as a consensus list...the greatest for two reasons: 1.) The amazing variety of moods...instruments and voices/harmonies of each song...invoking powerful images one can relate to; 2.) Each song's arrangement is articulately done...again a tribute to Brain Wilson as the primary producer and arranger.
I find in this album each song is top-notch...overall compliment each other...the result comes as close as any song group to perfection. Each song's lyrics and music are brilliantly written and done. Because of this...I gravitate to every song as a favorite depending on my stage in life and/or perspective I'm in. Amazingly...this album quite possibly could have been even better...if the # 1 hit...GOOD VIBRATIONS and southern belle instrumental TROMBONE DIXIE were included as they were recorded at this time...the range of music would have further distanced it from the field. The beautiful and sophisticated GOOD VIBRATIONS is often listed as one of the top ten All-time Rock and Roll Songs and justifiably so...but TROBONE DIXIE I find as good as the instrumental title song PET SOUNDS while invoking a feeling of small town...southern dixie charm on a Sunday afternoon.
The songs in this album depict the many aspects of life we experience...and the related emotions/memories we go through. Brian was quoted as saying it was his tribute to LOVE! For me, it comes as close as any album to capturing the chapters of love...and our struggles with learning and applying it in life. For someone not familiar with the 1960's the sophistication is even more impressive for an album made way back in early 1966.
It is hard to say which Album is the best. I will say for me, I personally find this album tied with...or just above the Beatles RUBBER SOUL and slightly above REVOLVER which I view as the 3 all-time great Rock & Roll albums.
I recommend this album to any serious music listener...it will provide a treasure trove of enjoyment.
I also suggest for someone who loves this album to buy the box set "Pet Sounds Sessions". It shows beautifully how the album was constructed. I often play it more than the original album.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, April 19 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Pet Sounds (Audio CD)
I was first introduced to Pet Sounds when i bought the album used at a cd store, i had heard all the hype about it, but i always stereotyped it as wierd kind of like a later beatles album. At the time i was not into that kind of music, but damn how that changed as i got older. The first time i listened to this whole cd from start to finish i was like is that it? what is all the hype about. I didnt understand what all the fuss was about. So i buried the cd in my cd rack and didn't even think about it for a few years. As i got older i started getting in relationships and went through hard breakups and even fell in love. During all these changes in my life i decided to polish off the old pet sounds and give it another chance. and BANG, it opened pathways in my mind that i never knew existed. What a beautiful album by Brian Wilson, i couldnt put how beautiful these sounds i was hearing were and i couldn't understand how much sense it made to me now as opposed to a few years earlier.
I soon realized that the music was reflecting my life, and what is so cool is that this music was made in the mid sixties, and almost 40 years later it still have an impact on someones life like the way it did on mine. One song that definitly stands out in my mind is "God Only Knows" I can only hope that someday i have a wife that is also my best friend and i can play this song for them, because i do beleive it is the most beautiful lyrics i have ever heard. And it is so simplistic. "wouldnt it be nice" too is a beautiful dreamy song that im sure we all once experienced about being with someone you just think you could be with forever and you wish you didnt have to wait 8 or so years to finally be in that place. I am so thankful that brian wilson created pet sounds because it has redefined and reshaped my whole perspective on life. if you can tell, this cd is bigger then life for me, i hope this album can do something for you also.

5.0 out of 5 stars This one is a classic probally the best 60s Album, April 17 2004
Chris (St.Louis,MO) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pet Sounds (Audio CD)
This is a exciting Beach Boys album and this is hailed a rock masterpiece by all the rock critics but they suck but I will recommend it.This album came out in 1966 and even the Beatles said "How are ye gonna top this mates".I give props to Mr.Cranky for his reviews one man with the balls to say what he thinks and everyone is going nuts about it that would be good.
1.Would'nt be nice-This one is a classic 10/10
11.I just wasn't made for these times-Good 8/10
12.Pet Sounds-Another Instrumental that is great 10/10
13.Carolina No-This is the last official song 10/10 Has Dogs
14.Hold on to your ego-This is a good song 10/10
15-27 Crappy Remastered songs my dad likes I don't.
This album was produced by Brian Wilson but this should have included Good Vibrations but still it is very good album.
Lyrics 10 Production 10 Music 10 Style 10 Voice 10
Overall=50/50 Almost a perfect album still sounds Fresh in 04

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy Listening, Sort Of, April 16 2004
This review is from: Pet Sounds (Audio CD)
"Wouldn't it be nice" was used to great effect in Warren Beatty's Shampoo. So, I checked out the whole album.... Without associations of Goldie Hawn and Julie Christie for the rest of these songs, they fall flat! :-) The songs bring goldfish to mind... and awkward ones at that. Take the Pet Sounds reviews with a grain of salt. Boomers tend to hype things from their coming of age. (That's an understatement! :-). And music shouldn't be a "The Sixties" homework assignment -- if you don't like it, move on....
Listening to Pet Sounds, it's a relief to know The Doors soon showed up to save the L.A. day! Great songs don't *need* studio tricks. All that said, with repeats, Pet Sounds starts to flow like I'm lightly sweeping through So Cal mountain roads.... and I pass a Pet Sounds cd on the side of the road... and keep going. Time has moved on. Guess it's all about context -- didn't hear the album in its time, and it doesn't mean much to me now. (Groudbreaking... but I don't thank Lindbergh whenever I get on a plane). Peace Out!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brian Wilson's Masterpiece (Until "Smile" is released), March 31 2004
This review is from: Pet Sounds (Audio CD)
Two essential Beach Boys CD's are out - the "Sounds Of Summer" greatest hits package, the best Beach Boys compilation ever, and the majestic "Pet Sounds", Brian Wilson's masterpiece. Wilson didn't tour while preparing this opus, and used session players with the exception of the vocals. After all, nobody could harmonize better than his own band.
What he delivered was a collection of the most beautiful pop music ever assembled on one album. Studio effects add ambience and a slight touch of the avant garde, but the songs themselves are the true gems.
"Wouldn't It Be Nice" with its impeccable harmonies and melody is one of the greatest songs ever, and Wilson tops that with one of the saddest but gorgeous songs ever with "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times." The whole album is so good that it should go on forever. Reaching the ballad "Caroline, No" is a musical journey that does not last nearly long enough, thus guaranteeing this album's playability for a long long time after buying it.
If another civilization were to ask me to give them one reason why this planet with all its hatred shouldn't be charred to a cinder, I'd play them "Pet Sounds". Maybe they'd let us off the hook for a while.

5.0 out of 5 stars I guess it is THAT good, March 8 2004
B. Schuman (NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pet Sounds (Audio CD)
If you've made it to this page, you've probably heard a lot of people tell you about the historical significance of this album and it's influence, etc. But what's overlooked is that the Beach Boys are still the Beach Boys- only they sound even better than they did before. It's not the "left field" classic people seem to think it is, it's just a great bunch of songs everyone should like- because who doesn't like the Beach Boys, at least as a guilty pleasure? I suppose you could sum this up as nothing more than the Beach Boys beginning to realize that there's more to life than surfing, but before the point where the music became as much about drugs as it once was about surfing. The result: the very best of the Beach Boys. It's also a plus to have the mono and stereo versions, because it's difficult to decide which is better- the mono version sounds better at first, but on the stereo version it's nice to hear the sounds in more detail. There's a reason the Rolling Stones took out an ad in a London newspaper telling people to buy "Pet Sounds," and why Paul McCartney still says "God Only Knows" is his favorite song. Even the cheesy intrumentals can't bring the rest of the album down- that's what the skip button was invented for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lets Break it down, coming from a musican....., March 2 2004
This review is from: Pet Sounds (Audio CD)
For those that say they "don't get it". You have to understand at that point in time when this album was released no one had ever tried any of the things that The Beach Boys IE: Brian Wilson tried that was/is "Pet Sounds". I hear a lot of babble from those that "don't it get" that it sounds like bland harmonizing vocals, etc etc. The album is a masterpiece simply because of the daring arrangements. The use of sounds that no one at that time had thought of using in the way that they were used. The drum work. You can hear how Ringo Starr was influenced on Sgt Peppers. You can hear how the use of "samples" IE: the sound of the train at the end of "Caroline NO" was used on Sgt Peppers. Or the beginning of "God Only Knows"... go listen to "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite" off Sgt Peppers and you will hear where the influence for the beginning of that song started. These are things that make this album special, they were the 1st band to try things like this using those sounds. The arrangements themselves of the songs are just simply brilliant, they can actually be compared to Classical. The brilliance of "Sloop John B" go listen to the ballad of "John & Yoko", or "Ob Li Di Ob Li Da" and you can hear an influence of this song in those songs! The Beach Boys created brilliance. Those who do not get it are not listening or do not understand the history of music. For those who have not heard this album and are wondering if you will enjoy it. All I can tell you is to ask yourself first how much are you into musicology and if you have an open mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful... a work of genius..., Feb. 22 2004
This review is from: Pet Sounds (Audio CD)
Before I say anything else, I must say this. Acappella singing, which is what a lot of this is, is very hard indeed. Very few people can do this at all, it takes a lot of training, and if you havn't got absolute pitch, it's even harder, and this is the reason why bands such as the beach boys are so very unusual. OK.
The first time I heard this, oddly enough, was in the USA, strange for an English 15 year old. We were staying in a very tiny place, called Gig Harbor, near Seattle. It was odd because while now it's built up and expensive, back then it was a collection of tiny shacks near a river. We were staying with our aunt, and I made friends with a guy next door, also 15, called Don. He had a record player (lucky bloke), and a cat who had a huge fat tummy (strange how you remember these things), he wanted to join the Marines when he got older... and he played me Pet Sounds. Never heard it before, although it was familiar enough in parts. We stayed there in the area a few weeks, made friends with folks who ran the Pentecostal church over the other side of the river. Wonderful. They were like the Waltons, only there were more of them. We were very lucky to see all of this - very lucky. We had stayed in a tiny house in a small town in Lancashire up until that point, and that was our view of a much larger world. I have always loved America after that time.
What I am trying to say is that the Beach Boys for me was always associated with that place, those wonderful people, and sadly.... the impossibility of getting back. My Aunt died before we could go back, I don't have the mailing address of those guys anymore... and it was three whole decades ago.
To witness - the Beach boys have this quality to nearly everyone of expressing the very essence, if it were feasible, of yearning for the impossible. In fact, this may be the closest one ever gets to this in a civilisation. They paint a picture that cannot HELP but move your heart towards some kind of sweet inaccessible place that we all know about, and everyone must surely know that that sensation is certainly seems real for practically everyone but... nearly always slips away, like a dream that just isn't possible.
I'm too old; it's too far away; it couldn't really be. And yet it is. Brian Wilson surely conjures up some amazing stuff here that is magic, longing without becoming, whistful, impossible, wonderful. Some of my friends in England finally got hold of this and a few (five or so) of us sat round and listened to it. It was odd because we were smelly, scruffy and untidy and dumb and we listened to it after something else by Emerson Lake and Palmer and after that, I mean everybody went dead quiet, almost like we had been in church, or something.
It's so easy to go the USA now, lots of people do it, but still, you might even go to California now and only see or feel this stuff as though it was the shiny patches in the distance on a hot road, real, but distant, testifying to the real but illusive, catch me if you can, and we all feel old, kind of sad, but immensely grateful somehow. That's all I can say really, it's great stuff, but somehow I wish...

Beach Boys:Pet Sounds (DVD Audio)
Beach Boys:Pet Sounds (DVD Audio) by Beach Boys (DVD Audio - 2003)