5.0 out of 5 stars Best Beach Boys album
This usually makes the list of the top albums of all time, for good reason. You can't go wrong with this album.
Published 6 months ago by handsomepete

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Japanese
Great editions but please be aware that these are NOT Japanese editions. At the time I received mine were American versions of the original Japanese versions.
Published 10 months ago by Michael Pacey

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Beach Boys album, Jan. 5 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Pet Sounds, Oct. 13 2013
This review is from: Pet Sounds (Audio CD)
Probably the best Beach Boys album. So happy I could find a copy and very pleased with the quality of sound. Would recommend this for anyone who likes this band or any band with fabulous harmonies.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Japanese, Sept. 14 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless Classic!, May 16 2013
Greatest hits packs will have more songs the average fan will know but this disc has a more complete "album" feel and if someone wants that then this is the album to buy. It is hard to intelligently rank albums but this one will provide enjoyment forever.

5.0 out of 5 stars le meilleur album, Oct. 18 2012
This review is from: Beach Boys:Pet Sounds (DVD Audio) (DVD Audio)
la qualité audio est exceptionnelle et le nombre de formats est aussi intéressant pour l'écouter dans divers systèmes de son. On parvient également à entendre de nombreux sons qu'on pouvait avant à peine percevoir. C'est merveilleux d'écouter chaque titre en découvrant toute la musique et les voix reproduitent de cette façon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Why "Pet Sounds" isn't the greatest album of all time, July 15 2004
M (Syracuse, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pet Sounds (Audio CD)
First of all, I would like to preface that I am a big fan of this record, and to this day am absolutely blown away by Brian Wilson's innovative production and profound songwriting. The music is wonderful, no band ever did harmonies better than the Beach Boys. The gulf between their early "fun in the sun" recordings and this masterpiece is a wide, deep chasm.
I will not dwell on the technical merits of this album, although there are many, and will only pinpoint a few songs. "Wouldn't It Be Nice" is a powerful, instantly addictive album opener, "Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder)" is a dreamy piece with exceptionally moving and beautiful lyrics. And "God Only Knows" is, well...enough said - the subtle instrumental layers behind the chorus tantalize the listener until the harmonies kick in at the end in a marvelous climax.
What is disturbing to me is this strange glorification of "Pet Sounds" as the BEST album of all time. It all apparently stems from this major competition between the Beatles and the Beach Boys in the mid-60s. Still, I find it absurd and close to infuriating when the Amazon reviewer dares to characterize "Sgt. Pepper" as "missing the mark." Since when do bands make records to please music pundits' dogmatic characterizations? Should we judge every album based on how close it comes to the "perfection" of "Pet Sounds"? Of course not.
The main reason why I think "Pet Sounds" can never be the greatest album of all time is that both Brian Wilson and the staunch defenders of the album continue to reference the Beatles. Always, even six or seven times in the liner notes, it's all about how they are better than or inspired by the Beatles, even a lengthy quote by Paul McCartney extolling the virtues of "Pet Sounds." The reason is simply a deep insecurity about the title of "greatest album of all time." Greatest albums stand on their own, and do not justify their greatness by constantly comparing it to albums of a rival band. It is strange and a bit silly.
And since I know I will get many votes by offended Beach Boys fans and reactionary anti-Beatles, might I take this chance to offer my choice for the best album of all time, the one that escaped the loop of competition between Wilson and McCartney. The story goes like this: "Rubber Soul" inspires Wilson to do "Pet Sounds," which in turn inspires McCartney to suggest "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band." In the meantime, outside of all this madness, the Beatles made THE recording of history, "Revolver," which in terms of musicianship, variety, experimentation, lyrics, and especially production beats any album from any generation and any popular music style.
As I mentioned at the beginning of this review, I love "Pet Sounds," but I simply find the intense determination by its loyal devotees to have it crowned a subjective and irrelevant title to be slightly paranoid and certainly very much overdone.

5.0 out of 5 stars A pure pleasure!, Dec 17 2009
N. Dominici (Montreal, QC, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pet Sounds (Audio CD)
When I think back at those times, I realize how creative Brian Wilson was and still is!!! It will always amaze me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brian Wilson's Greatest Accomplishment, July 6 2006
This review is from: Pet Sounds (Audio CD)
This is Brian Wilsons best work. I have had this album on vynil, cassette and finally CD. It is as fresh sounding and relevant today as it was almost 40 years ago.

Although people like Mike Love are trying to take credit for some of his work, this is definitely an all out effort by Brian to surpass the other great albums of the time (Beatles Rubber Soul etc.). He put all his creative energy into this album and when it was finished, he seemed to just run out of steam and was never able to duplicate this body of work. Smile is a great album, but it pales in comparison to this.

It is a matter of personal taste on which album is the best of all time, but in my view this is it.

5.0 out of 5 stars reveals more with each listen, Oct. 4 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Beach Boys:Pet Sounds (DVD Audio) (DVD Audio)
Initially, I was fond of this album but tended to skip around and listen to particular songs. After I listened to it about 100 times, I became very fond of it and generally listened to the entire album throughout. In the liner notes to the first cd version of this album, Brian Wilson makes a comment about praying with his brother Carl just before Carl sang the vocal for 'God Only Knows'. The significance of this comment was lost on me until I listened to this album about 500 more times. By that point I had the mono+stereo version and would generally listen to it twice at one sitting. Eventually, I reached the point where I am at present: this album has a quality that simply is not repeated anywhere else in popular music--the best way I can find to describe it would be a pure, spiritual innocence. Whether that makes it the greatest album or better than the Beatles' middle period is irrelevant. Buy it and listen over and over and over....

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my all-time favorites, July 13 2004
This review is from: Pet Sounds (Audio CD)
I say that but I hate how fanboy-ish Pet Sounds lovers are. I'll try to avoid excessive use of superlatives when describing this album, however.
Where to start? I love the almost "wall of sound" on this album. Anywhere and everywhere there is an instrument being played or a sweet harmony being sung. I read the liner notes for this and was impressed at how ahead-of-the-times the recording of this record was. I'm not going to discuss the influence of this record, though, just how flawless nearly ever song here is.
Everybody knows "Wouldn't it Be Nice". I love the harmonies on this song, and the accordion during the verses. There's the piano-melody on "You Still Believe in Me" and the great beat on "That's Not Me". I know Brian Wilson collaborated with someone (whose name escapes me at the moment) on the lyrics, so I'll just say the lyrics are great. They're very simple and express simple things but the way Brian sings-it's just amazing. That's why a song like "That's Not Me" works, it's a very simple "I'm leaving my past behind for a girl" song but it's just sung greatly. "Don't Talk (Put Your Head on my Shoulder)" is one of the sweetest songs I have ever heard. It has no percussion-it's like a dream, a hazy dream, you can picture it in the background during some lazy afternoon get-together with your girlfriend/boyfriend whatever. And what about that bass? It's great. I love "I'm Waiting for the Day", again a very simple song that's just brought to life with the singing. I love listening to this album on headphones (the stereo version is amazing, I must say, it seems superfluous at first but it's worth it). I like but don't love both instrumentals.
And I hate people who say "Sloop John B" is the best song here. It was not recorded for Pet Sounds and it's probably the worst song on the album. It's great pop but it's simplistic in musical structure and the lyrics are from an old traditional song about sailing. Who doesn't know the lyrics to "God Only Knows"? It's more about expressing love rather than capturing the feeling of it (like "Don't Talk" does). The lyrics to "I Know There's an Answer" are probably my favorite on the whole album. And the chorus is amazing.
"Here Today" is great; again, great lyrics. Every teenager who has this album has probably memorized the lyrics to "I Just Wasn't Made for these Times". My favorite line on this record is "they say I got brains but they ain't doing me no good". In the liner notes Brian says his voice on "Caroline No" is his favorite vocal performance ever. It's awfully good and I love the song.
There's been so much written about Pet Sounds. It's a musical tour-de-force (argh, I hate that word but still). I love the drums on "Here Today" and the harmonies are great all around. This is just pop perfected. I don't find the songs soulless at all, I find them the complete opposite. It's lighthearted but serious at times, happy and in love at times but alienated and remorseful at others. I don't care if the lyrics aren't as "important" as the Beatles or if technically the album really isn't "rock and roll" at all. This isn't Brian Wilson moping, it's him making the album he wanted to make for himself. Probably not "best. album. ever." but it's close.

Beach Boys:Pet Sounds (DVD Audio)
Beach Boys:Pet Sounds (DVD Audio) by Beach Boys (DVD Audio - 2003)