5.0 out of 5 stars Music for Music Lovers
The saturated music market today is full of bands or singers that have as little substance as a Chuck Norris film. The Innocence Mission defy most modern acts by churning out graceful album after album. Befriended, the seventh edition to the bands catalogue is packed full of wonderous lyrics that will no doubt make even the most cold hearted person feel sentimental...
Published on Dec 3 2003 by smartguy70

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected
Being a fan of IM for many years, I was disappointed in their latest effort, BEFRIENDED. The writing is spare - repetitive and morose. The music is draggy and simple. I expected the spiritual uplift that I adored with "You chase the light" and "Wonder of Birds". "Every Hour Here", "Umbrella" and "Joan" were little...
Published on Oct. 2 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars Befriending Spirit Itself, Dec 14 2003
Juan Mobili (Valley Cottage, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Befriended (Audio CD)
With some artists, you just get lucky. I'm talking about those great albums that came across by coincidence or some lost good friend. It was a small act of grace that have me meet this wonderful music. The "Mission"s are a married couple and their best friend, all deeply Christian, writing and singing some gorgeous harmonies over touching folk ballads, many about being married and having children. Either you get the drift of how great this is or you may need to listen to it once, at which point, you'll be converted to their beauty.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great music on a short album, Sept. 12 2003
M. JEFFREY MCMAHON "herculodge" (Torrance, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Befriended (Audio CD)
While I am a devout Innocence Mission fan and enjoy their latest effort's beautiful, spare folk music that I've come to expect from this gifted band, I have two minor complaints: First, the album, around 35 minutes, is too short. Second, there is a sameness to the music with some exceptions. Having said this, the album is a must-buy, not just for the canvass of mellifluous sounds throughout, but for track 6, which is one of the most distinct, haunting melodies I've ever heard by the Innocence Mission.

5.0 out of 5 stars matured and melodic sound, Oct. 9 2003
This review is from: Befriended (Audio CD)
I've been a fan of the Innocence Mission since Karen Peris first floated her vocals over a couple of synthesizer riffs on the first album. With Befriended, IM shows that they've really matured as a band without losing what was great about them before -- a unique vocal sound and touching lyrics.
Strangely, I think the album is equally suited to a low-key hipster coctail party and a baby's room. It's just that kind of an album -- soft and real and interesting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shimmering beauty! Check out 'Me Died Blue' as well., Sept. 24 2003
This review is from: Befriended (Audio CD)
Lately, I have been entranced by 'Befriended', and 'Me Died Blue' by NJ singer/songwriter soundscape creator Steven Delopoulos. Both of these gorgeous releases are living proof that incredible, deep music is still being made. I cannot stop playing them both. My family thinks I have gone off the deep end.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful album for a cold, rainy day, Nov. 19 2003
Charles B. Miller (Atlanta, GA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Befriended (Audio CD)
I've been a fan of The Innocence Mission for over a decade, and I think that Karen could sing the phone book and I'd buy it. But this is a beautiful, haunting album. It's intimate and nuanced. Perfect for a chilly Sunday morning or a cold rainy winter day.

5.0 out of 5 stars WARNING, Oct. 11 2003
This review is from: Befriended (Audio CD)
This CD should only be puchased by music afficionados who are willing to have their hearts torn open by music that is both incredibly intimate yet transcendant, seemingly simple yet so very complex. Perfect>

5.0 out of 5 stars A gift from the heavens, Dec 4 2003
Paul Ripley (Bloomington, IN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Befriended (Audio CD)
In a world so full of violence, chaos and division The Innocence Mission continue to give us music of such pure joy, tranquility and love it seems almost essential for ones spiritual being.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Revelation, Sept. 18 2003
Robert Bergan (Auburn, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Befriended (Audio CD)
This album is complete with astonishingly beautiful music that is all composed, arranged and performed in near perfection. An album that will be enjoyed for years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lakes of light, Sept. 5 2003
Christian (State College, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Befriended (Audio CD)
A few more lakes of light from Lancaster, PA, like a calming late afternoon walk in Elizabethtown. Befriended is a candle burning by your bed, fragile but vivid.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply beautiful, March 26 2004
Gannon Murphy (Edina, MN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Befriended (Audio CD)
Great music that won't bog you down, but will enlighten your spirit.

Befriended
Befriended by The Innocence Mission (Audio CD - 2003)