5.0 out of 5 stars Worth The Upgrade
Since anyone considering buying this probably knows what a great album it is, I am writing this simply to address the Hybrid SACD version of "Blue Train." This is one of those albums that I, personally, have spent the money to upgrade 3 times (it's THAT good).
Published on Dec 31 2003 by Thomas Shea

2.0 out of 5 stars This Train Left the Station a Little Early
Unless you're a John Coltane fanatic/collector, you'll miss nothing of importance by not passing on this really quite pedestrian blowing session. The lineup seems impressive enough at first glance, but the session wound up as a perfunctory-sounding changes run by all involved - - aside from John's solo on 'Moment's Notice,' there really isn't any magic here. Jay Jay...
Published on Aug. 13 1998

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth The Upgrade, Dec 31 2003
Thomas Shea (Seattle, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blue Train (Audio CD)
While I can't speak for the recent RVG Series re-issue, I can say that this version sounds considerably better than the 1996 re-issue, "The Ultimate Blue Train" - bass is richer, drums crisper and over-all live feel of the recording is unprecendented. If are considering buying the RVG remaster, why not spend a few dollars more and get this Hybrid SACD since it plays in both Super Audio and regulars CD players. It is worth the investment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must own jazz classic, April 20 2013
Mike "dr_delorean" (Thunder Bay, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blue Train (Vinyl) (LP Record)
A great sounding remastered 180 gram virgin vinyl record which includes one bonus track “East Bound”. Includes the original liner notes and new notes from Robert Levin as well. I personally like the original artwork over this cover, but I’m not complaining. This is a great record and I’m very pleased with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Runaway Train, Nov. 7 2010
Terry J. Hinkley "Amazadict" (Edmonton, Alberta Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blue Train (Audio CD)
Classic Jazz from a master of the tenor sax. Four of his own compositions with a Jerome Kern/Johnny Mercer penned tune thrown in. A nice addition to anyones Jazz collection. I am not new to Jazz but have been fairly picky over the years in what I purchase. I will be adding more Coltrane to mine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Speechless, May 22 2010
This review is from: Blue Train (Audio CD)
What can I say? Please listen to this album and if you are not in jazz heaven then we can agree to disagree. I'm engaged by his flow, pace, and overall feel of this recording. I won't even differenciate between the songs, they all flow beautifully into one another. His playing is angelic. Please understand that I am biased towards Coltrane, from Naima to Giant Steps, I am a big fan. And this recording does not disappoint.

4.0 out of 5 stars Five star music with a two star remaster, June 23 2004
Jack Jones (Woodland Hills, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blue Train (Audio CD)
The music on this cd has made it one of the top jazz records of all time and that, of course, hasn't changed. But a bad mastering job can change the listenabilty of an album and that has occured here. I have a few of the "Rudy Van Gelder" editions and the sound generally is not fairing well. The cds are often quite tinny and lacking in the bass frequency.
From the pre-Impulse years, this cd and "Giant Steps" are arguably Coltrane's best as a leader. The compositions on "Blue Train" are great and his solos fantastic. It's the begining of a new harmonic language Coltrane was exploring, culminating with "Giants Steps" and then disintegrating into the more modal Impulse years.
Buy "Blue Train" for the music and hope Blue Note gets the sound right next time around.

5.0 out of 5 stars Riding that Train, high on Coltrane, May 27 2004
David G. Smith (Fairfax, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Ok, that is really bad.
But this cd is amazing. Right now I am in my Coltrane period. And I find Jazz to be the most personal of music. The players seem more human, more vulnerable, and there is a connection to the music that I get out of no other, classical is nice, but a little more removed. This is music of nightclubs, of angst and wonder.
I have written before about the small moments of Jazz being heartstopping. And there are great moments, a song called Moments Notice for one, but much has been written for good reason about the inspired playing of Coltrane. He is a man on fire, a true combination of flame, passion and melody.
It is also said that Coltrane played way above his sidemen, but I think the other work here is amazing.
Like most instrumental music, it is visceral, subjective and alive.
You should give it a try.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rudy?, Feb. 28 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Blue Train (Audio CD)
I was not formerly aware of Rudy Van Gelder remasters. I was at the record store and I couldn't decide between the Rudy Van Gelder remaster or the SACD Hybrid which was also available. I assume that they're both remastered from the same master tape at 24 bit resolution, but I opted for the Van Gelder. It sounds great! The clarity and musicality of this remaster is incredible. I had previously used an 180 gram remastered vinyl as my reference copy, but the Van Gelder is an entirely new experience. I would highly recommend Rudy Van Gelder remasters. [...] has a great selection of Van Gelder remasters in both CD and LP.

5.0 out of 5 stars A sensational jam session., Feb. 22 2004
Tom W.C Oppenheim (Victoria, Australia.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blue Train (Audio CD)
For me, the recordings Coltrane made between 1957 and 1959 were his greatest of his entire two decade career. Milestones, Kind of Blue and Blue Train all showcase Coltrane at his best. Unlike the two recordings he made with the Miles Davis Sextet, this music is more easy listening and for that reason offers the perfect introduction to John Coltrane. Coltrane plays with fire on a wonderfully exciting blues journey, Blue Train; his solo being perfectly complemented by an equally exciting solo by trumpeter Lee Morgan. This piece is one of the most famous of all Coltrane recordings and rightly so. The recording captures the freedom and ambience of a true jam session sound. My personal favourite, however, is the only cover track on the album, I'm Old Fashioned. Here, Coltrane showcases, what for me, is the highlight on any John Coltrane solo - his sound. Coltrane had one of the most sublime saxophone sounds in the history of jazz, for me, second only to Charlie Parker. On this track, Coltrane bares his sound for all to hear, free of the intense technical displays which tend to obscure it. Like many other Coltrane ballad interpretations, he plays the pure melody, with slight augmentations, but always with simplicity and honesty. John Coltrane truly had one the most individual and beautiful sounds of all time and it is truly exemplified on, this, his most accessible of all recordings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Requisite Jazz, Jan. 6 2004
J. Moon "terrapinjer03" (B-More, MD) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ultimate Blue Train (Audio CD)
This is another Album in the vein of Miles Davis' Kind of Blue, that belongs in everyone's music collection regardless of whether they like Jazz or not. Echoing the sentiments of others, it is not the revolutionary work characteristic of Coltrane's other works, but it remains just plain cool. From the opening measures of the title track, you know that you are in for a fun, very chill ride. The album is kinda like Errol Flynn, James Dean, or even Paul Newman... cool without trying to be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Coltrane took the Train, Dec 14 2003
Jose Mario Serra (Sao Paulo, Brazil) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ultimate Blue Train (Audio CD)
This remastered edition of one of the ever-best Coltrane's albums, deserve a place of honor in your bookshelf. It has some alternate takes of his major hits. Besides 'A Love Supreme', this in one of the fundamental jazz albums from the 20th century, indeed! Press play, and enjoy Coltrane in his purest "cool but modern" mood.

ARRAY(0xac61e438)

Blue Train
Blue Train by John Coltrane (Audio CD - 2003)