4.0 out of 5 stars Great Introduction To The 80s
As somebody born in the late 80s, I never had a chance to watch these movies when they came out. Now in my mid teens, I recently discovered these movies, and this DVD set is a great introduction that has already gotten my hooked, causing me to rent many other 80s 'classics'.
Published on Oct. 13 2003 by sullivan_gurl

1.0 out of 5 stars Why Buy this movie???
Published on Sept. 15 2003 by K. Blount

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Introduction To The 80s, Oct. 13 2003
Ce commentaire est de: High School Reunion Collection: Sixteen Candles/Breakfast Club/Weird Science [3 Discs] (DVD)
The image quality is very good, although all three movies lack any extras other than theatrical trailers. I would have enjoyed seeing a "Making Of" feature, or commentary from the stars of these films.
While all three movies are enjoyable, I think that Pretty in Pink would have been a better fit with The Breakfast Club, and Sixteen Candles than Weird Science is. That movie is a different style and genre that just doesn't seem to fit perfectly with the others.
Overall, I'd recommend this set. If you already own the VHS, don't waste your money due to the lack of features, but if you don't, this is a convenient way to get all three movies at a good price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Where are the extras?, Aug. 28 2003
M. Hind "daria_m" (Houston, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
Don't get me wrong: I'm grateful to see that these three great 80's flicks directed by teen movie director extraordinare John Hughes have FINALLY been remastered in Dolby 5.1 and DTS. And the sound is great...I watched "Weird Science" and could really tell the difference. But why couldn't there by any special features on these discs? All we get is the original trailer and some rental suggestions. Why couldn't Hughes offer commentary on these movies? After all, he provided a really interesting one for "Ferris Bueller's Day Off. There MUST be some great stories behind the making of these movies; why won't he tell them?
Also, I know there was an E! True Hollywood Story featuring the journey behind "Sixteen Candles." Why couldn't that be included? Why not have cast biographies and filmographies at least? That's easy enough!
Since I adore all three films and the sound remastering is incredible, I will rate this set four stars. But not adding any special features to really separate this new box set from the lackluster original DVD versions....what a shame!

1.0 out of 5 stars Why Buy this movie???, Sept. 15 2003
K. Blount "kibw" (Delmar, MD United States) - See all my reviews
I have seen all three of these movies much like the rest of America's population. I also love these movies and have contemplated purchasing them(especially Breakfast Club), but every time before i got to the checkout lane i would think; Why should i buy this dvd, i know the transfer is terrible and it isn't bringing anything new to the table i.e. deleted scenes, director commentary, making of featurette. This was back in 1999. So i waited for the day when the movies would be released with their proper respect. WELL THAT DAY IS HERE... almost. The visual transfer and sound are finally correct, so everyone should run out and buy this dvd (WRONG). We all know (including Universal) that the reason you buy dvd's are not only the visual quality but for the enetertainment value ie. deleted scenes, behind the scenes, alternate scenes, anything going on with scenes and it's a good day at the office. Universal doesn't give us anything, but expect us to spend our hard earned money. I say, until all these companies get the point, don't purchase any dvd that doesn't have what the people want. Would you buy a furniture set that doesn't have a couch you want, or if you wanted a cheese burger would you settled for a hamburger, no!!! You would (and should) demand to be served with some respect. When companies omit what people want most they're showing they don't care for you as a consumer or human being. We have to make these companies listen and the only language they speak is money. So speak their language and don't purchase until you get what you want. If we show a unified front we will get what we want.

4.0 out of 5 stars The best these 3 movies have looked in a long time!, Sept. 14 2003
Here is some great news! The Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles, & Weird Science have just been re-released on DVD in remastered style after very disappointing DVD transfers in the late 90's.
The Renunion collection allows purchasers the chance to buy all three DVD's in a package deal. It makes sense to do this because it is cheaper than buying them separately. In fact, you practically get one for free! A friend of mine bought the package as soon as it was released. I think it will sell out, so hop to it!
Each title has been remastered although they are not perfect. Still, considering the age of these films, they look very pleasing.
All three are now 16:9 enhanced which is a blessing, no more large black bars top and bottom which plagued the 1998 DVD of "Breakfast Club" (for example).
Even better news for purists, is that the original soundtracks have been reinstated into the films. This is denoted on each separate cover, and is an important factor. for too long we have had to put up with altered soundtracks. Sixteen Candles soundtrack was butchered so bad that the film lost its spark. Well no more with this release.
The DVD's boast a DTS soundtrack for each movie. Sorry, but it's nothing to write home about! In the case of "Breakfast Club", the opening song "Don't you forget about me" still sounds very lame and mono as it did on the previous DVD release! The same applies for portions of "sixteen Candles". DTS can be a bit of a gimmick as demonstrated by all three DVD's. Don't be fooled in this regard.
Extras? Sorry to report that Universal have decided not to include extras on any on any of the dics (except for trailers). This is a shame because this is what DVD's are all about. I can only assume that this is because DTS soundtracks take up considerable disc space. What I would have liked is some deleted scenes or alternate scenes which do exist. For example, the TV version of "breakfast Club" is different to the DVD version, it contains several different scenes. Overall, there was approximately 4 hours of footage taken from Breakfast Club so to get some of this as an added special feature would have been nice Universal!!! There are also alternate scenes out there for "Sixteen Candles" but you dont get to see them on this DVD.
Despite these let-downs, you must order this package deal because it's the best the films have looked in a long time. Plus the original soundtracks have been reinstated. Another reason is that they will go out of stock for sure. I've been watching my friends copy, and mine is on the way!!! Cannot wait.

2.0 out of 5 stars 2/3 is Bad., Sept. 6 2003
obsidianic (vancouver.bc.ca) - See all my reviews
As mentioned in my other reviews of the individual movies, both the Breakfast Club and Weird Science have audio remastering problems.
In the Breakfast Club, about 62min into the movie, Allison quickly says a few lines of dialogue that is noticeably out of sync to her mouth movements (Dolby soundtrack). Thoughout the movie, I also notice very slight sync problems also.
In Weird Science, turn on the English subtitles and about 7m20 in, you will notice that you don't hear Gary saying, "If there's one thing I know, it's female stats" (again, Dolby soundtrack)!
On the positive side, I didn't notice anything wrong with Sixteen Candles and it is nice to have the original soundtrack back (the VHS changed some of the background music that was playing from the theatrical version).
None of the discs come with booklets or features that can be called special.

4.0 out of 5 stars Annoying trailer... Excellent Movies, Dec 11 2003
Douglas D. Bell (Pittsburgh, PA United States) - See all my reviews
Finally the movies are crisp and clear, with original music as you would expect to see them on DVD.
I am really writing this review to talk about why I subtracted a star since it is so annoying! There is a trailer at the beginning that is several minutes long and there is no way to bypass it. If you stop the movie and decide you want to watch it later, you will be stuck watching the same long trailer again and again. What is this wonderful trailer you ask? Why it is an advertisement to purchase Weird Science, Breakfast Club & Sixteen Candles which you obviously already own. Then trailer number 2 comes up for Animal House and Trailer 3 for Monty's Meaning of Life. Since I am annoyed with these trailers I probably won't be purchasing numbers 2 & 3 because undoubtedly they have the same annoying trailers!

5.0 out of 5 stars upgrade over previous releases, Sept. 7 2003
By A Customer
These remastered versions are a very large improvement over the original ones put out years ago. And to think I got all three movies for less than the cost of what Sixteen Candles or Weird Science were going for on ebay just a few months ago. These are really great versions of the movies. Yes, they are short on extras so maybe Universal should have called them a 'Superbit' clone. The previous releases were mono (Sixteen Candles) or stereo 2 channel. I was watching Weird Science and the DTS track simply blows away the orignal version. And the bitrate was around 8 Mbps for the movie. The only major drawback (and I almost took away a star) was the trailers at the start of the disk that you can't bypass. I don't want to buy a disk to watch commercials.

5.0 out of 5 stars An added bonus, Sept. 6 2003
By A Customer
What they do not tell you in the description of this product is that you also get the original soundtrack which was oddly changed since it's original release. The original soundtrack (you would be highly lucky to find in a random garage sale, much less at any record store) contains music that I think defines the eighties. The second soundtrack, and a very disappointing one compared to the first, is still extremely hard to find. I have been looking since I was a teenager myself. I cannot begin to tell you how happy this release makes me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cool Set!, Oct. 5 2003
By A Customer
Definitely the ultimate buy for bratpack lovers such as myself. But I would have axed Weird Science and included St. Elmo's Fire or even Oxford Blues. I have nothing against W.S. and I really enjoyed the movie but other than Anthony-Michael Hall there were no brat pack members in it and it seems out of place in the collection, but hey...it's all in fun. I'd recommend this set to anyone who needs a boost from the droll movies of 2003 and would love to go back to when movies were fun and young actors...could REALLY act.

2.0 out of 5 stars We want special features!!!!!, Sept. 17 2003
D. Barreto "ladydi4476" (Bronx, NY United States) - See all my reviews
Yeah ok, so Sixteen Candles has the original soundtrack, while that is a very good reason to buy this re-issued DVD, it's not good enough! I have both 16 Candles and The Breakfast Club on DVD from it's first release and I will hold on to them until Universal releases a special edition! I want a REUNION commentary, featurette, deleted scenes, alternate scenes, outtakes, videos etc! Until then I am not spending more money on these dvds. I'm hoping when the 20th anniversary rolls around we'll get something worthy.