4.0 out of 5 stars Great Introduction To The 80s
As somebody born in the late 80s, I never had a chance to watch these movies when they came out. Now in my mid teens, I recently discovered these movies, and this DVD set is a great introduction that has already gotten my hooked, causing me to rent many other 80s 'classics'.
Published on Oct. 13 2003 by sullivan_gurl

2.0 out of 5 stars Weird Science?
Pretty in Pink should have been bundled with this set, NOT Weird Science!
Stick to the theme, people!
Weird Science would have been more appropriately-bundled with a film such as, Zapped!
Also, where are all the special features?
Published on Sept. 29 2003 by Lane

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Introduction To The 80s, Oct. 13 2003
This review is from: High School Reunion Collection: Sixteen Candles/Breakfast Club/Weird Science [3 Discs] (DVD)
The image quality is very good, although all three movies lack any extras other than theatrical trailers. I would have enjoyed seeing a "Making Of" feature, or commentary from the stars of these films.
While all three movies are enjoyable, I think that Pretty in Pink would have been a better fit with The Breakfast Club, and Sixteen Candles than Weird Science is. That movie is a different style and genre that just doesn't seem to fit perfectly with the others.
Overall, I'd recommend this set. If you already own the VHS, don't waste your money due to the lack of features, but if you don't, this is a convenient way to get all three movies at a good price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for nostalgia, Oct. 14 2013
Good if you saw the original movies when you were younger and it made an impression back then.

Otherwise, who knows if you'd like it or not.

The music associated with these movies were a hit not just as music but with the association between music and movies. From here on, movie authors and the corporate masters of musicians took their relationship much more seriously.

4.0 out of 5 stars Where are the extras?, Aug. 28 2003
M. Hind "daria_m" (Houston, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
Don't get me wrong: I'm grateful to see that these three great 80's flicks directed by teen movie director extraordinare John Hughes have FINALLY been remastered in Dolby 5.1 and DTS. And the sound is great...I watched "Weird Science" and could really tell the difference. But why couldn't there by any special features on these discs? All we get is the original trailer and some rental suggestions. Why couldn't Hughes offer commentary on these movies? After all, he provided a really interesting one for "Ferris Bueller's Day Off. There MUST be some great stories behind the making of these movies; why won't he tell them?
Also, I know there was an E! True Hollywood Story featuring the journey behind "Sixteen Candles." Why couldn't that be included? Why not have cast biographies and filmographies at least? That's easy enough!
Since I adore all three films and the sound remastering is incredible, I will rate this set four stars. But not adding any special features to really separate this new box set from the lackluster original DVD versions....what a shame!

4.0 out of 5 stars Lacking extras, June 8 2004
It's wonderful having these classics on DVD, but couldn't they have given a little more? I for one would have LOVED to see deleted scenes. When ever the movies play on TV, you nearly always see scenes that weren't included in the original movie. And I'd like to see them more than just the once in a blue moon on TV (plus all the editing detracts horribly.)

4.0 out of 5 stars Would Of Paid More For More..., Feb. 6 2004
No doubt getting these three movies in remastered DVD quaility for roughly 10 bucks each is a great deal.
But I would of paid more if they would of added commentary, making of... and other extras to this set.
I mean isn't that what "collectors sets" are all about.
And what's with the trailers for the set I bought. Someone wasn't paying attention or maybe they're just afraid someone will sell these individually.

4.0 out of 5 stars Annoying trailer... Excellent Movies, Dec 11 2003
Douglas D. Bell (Pittsburgh, PA United States) - See all my reviews
Finally the movies are crisp and clear, with original music as you would expect to see them on DVD.
I am really writing this review to talk about why I subtracted a star since it is so annoying! There is a trailer at the beginning that is several minutes long and there is no way to bypass it. If you stop the movie and decide you want to watch it later, you will be stuck watching the same long trailer again and again. What is this wonderful trailer you ask? Why it is an advertisement to purchase Weird Science, Breakfast Club & Sixteen Candles which you obviously already own. Then trailer number 2 comes up for Animal House and Trailer 3 for Monty's Meaning of Life. Since I am annoyed with these trailers I probably won't be purchasing numbers 2 & 3 because undoubtedly they have the same annoying trailers!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent collection for the Price, Nov. 23 2003
This collection should have been called "The Anthony Michael Hall Collection". Great sound and image transfer. No special features, which is high on my list as a reason to purchase DVD's. Another annoyance is the beginning movie promotions/previews which cannot be skipped before the DVD menu. Overall a great collection of classic John Hughes films!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great set to have!, Oct. 12 2003
R. Rowley (Austin, TX USA) - See all my reviews
I just wanted to explain that the reason it is Breakfast Club, Wierd Science, and 16 candles - is because they are all UNIVERSAL films. The one question I have though is... Why isn't the new H.S. Reunion edition of "Three O'clock High" included? I just find that strange.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cool Set!, Oct. 5 2003
By A Customer
Definitely the ultimate buy for bratpack lovers such as myself. But I would have axed Weird Science and included St. Elmo's Fire or even Oxford Blues. I have nothing against W.S. and I really enjoyed the movie but other than Anthony-Michael Hall there were no brat pack members in it and it seems out of place in the collection, but hey...it's all in fun. I'd recommend this set to anyone who needs a boost from the droll movies of 2003 and would love to go back to when movies were fun and young actors...could REALLY act.

2.0 out of 5 stars Weird Science?, Sept. 29 2003
Lane (CA United States) - See all my reviews
Pretty in Pink should have been bundled with this set, NOT Weird Science!
Stick to the theme, people!
Also, where are all the special features?

CDN$ 59.95 CDN$ 53.70