5.0 out of 5 stars Favourite PS2 game
I bought this game on a whim because of the cute anime-style girls featured in the ad. I have never particularily enjoyed Survival-Horror, because I find most games in the genre hard to control and I'm usually dead before I know what's going on. (Heh...typical girl, huh?) This game was totally different than anything I have ever experienced.
The voice acting was...
Published on Nov. 15 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Its a remake!
Published on May 21 2004 by A. Griffiths

5.0 out of 5 stars Favourite PS2 game, Nov. 15 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Fatal Frame 2 - PlayStation 2 (Video Game)
The voice acting was tolerable, but the fright factor is incredible. If you are scared by the atmosphere of Japanese movies like 'Ringu' or 'Ju-On' - this is the game for you. I tried playing in the dark alone and had to turn it off after 5 minutes. Through *all* the Silent Hill games only *one* moment frightened me, so it's not like I'm scared of everything.
The controls are easy. Aim at a ghost and shoot camera - a lot more exciting than it sounds. Ghosts move slowly toward you sometimes and you have to wait until the appropriate moment to snap the best shot - yikes. Some ghost charge at you with inhuman (*giggles*) speed, some teleport. The graphics and cutscenes are amazing.
Creative, unique, scary, and a welcome break from RPGs and FPSs-you really want to invest in this game. It is my favourite on the PS2 (sorry Final Fantasy...) because the story stayed with me well after putting down the controller. I've finished it 4 times - and I only wish I had an Xbox to play the Director's Cut.

5.0 out of 5 stars So much fun and so scary!, Aug. 14 2012
Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Fatal Frame 2 - PlayStation 2 (Video Game)
So much fun! So scary. I played it when i was a kid so just a whole bunch of nostalgia for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh. My God. . ., Oct. 27 2005
This review is from: Fatal Frame 2 - PlayStation 2 (Video Game)
My friend rented this game and told me over the phone that it was the freakiest thing that she had ever played. But she and I are very affected by media that deals with out-of-the-ordinary scenarios, as we are both avid daydreamers. She even offered for me to keep it for the week until it had to be returned.
I invited her over to my house to help her with her PS2 (turns out it was only the game - a different one from FF - that had the problem), and she brought along FF. She started me off with a new game.
The introduction of the game was fantastic - showing clips of cutscenes soon to come, and showing the twins' - Mio and Mayu - past.
It was the gameplay that then got to me. Immediately, you start off in the forest - with absolutely no music. I was almost shaking, because I was anticipating that the ghosts would jump out at me immediately. Then, walking down the pathway to the village, I saw a glowing figure walking between two of the buildings. I immediately freaked and refused to play the game again, and left my friend to play it.
But it's so intriguing, the story and the graphics, that I've become obsessed with it. . .And I plan to rent it as soon as my friend returns it.
BUY. THIS. GAME.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delivers in fright and horror, Aug. 12 2009
Francois Guimond (Quebec City, QC, Canada) - See all my reviews
Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Fatal Frame 2 - PlayStation 2 (Video Game)
I bought Fatal Frame II knowing it was one of the best horror games of all time, and I was not disappointed. I like playing it at night, in a dimly lit room, and boy does it deliver.

5.0 out of 5 stars This game is scarrrrryyyyyyy, July 15 2004
O. Bueno (La Puente, Mt SAC student/CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fatal Frame 2 - PlayStation 2 (Video Game)
Okay i borrowed this game from my boyfriend and he played and i watched and i was so scared...i can't play the game in the nite because i get so freaked out..lol...i know its just a game but the firstt ime i played it i had nitemares...my bro and my bf already passed it, now im trying to pass it on my own...i dnt know how long it will take because i play like 15 min everyday before it gets dark....i have school all day..its a really cool game and i wanna get fatal frame now.

4.0 out of 5 stars Simply an Enjoyable Game, June 16 2004
This review is from: Fatal Frame 2 - PlayStation 2 (Video Game)
Fun and interestingly creepy. You start out in a village haunted with ghosts. You must find a ghost destroying camera that has many upgrades and film types of varying strengths. You and your twin sister are involved in the plot. She is involved in a killing ritual, but how? Can you save her and you? The ghosts are cool and creepy and it's fun to take them down. I hope you enjoy this game too. Don't let it scare you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Actually physically terrifying!!!, June 14 2004
WOW.
That is all.
WOW.
No, seriously, folks, nothing at all could have prepared me for the beauty and artistry and downright good old-fashioned terror that I experienced while playing 'Fatal Frame 2'. It's a magnificent, magnificent game and really deserving of prize place on your games top shelf.
You play the part of Mio, a para-psychic girl who, along with her deeply psychic sister Mayu, get lost and trapped in All God's Village, a deserted town in the middle of a forest, some days before the sinister 'Crimson Butterfly Ritual' is to take place. Mayu, intermittently under the control of the spirits that haunt All God's, disappears, and Mio must find her and stop the mysterious 'Sacrifice' before it's too late.
Firstly, what's new?
Well, as with any competent sequel, there is an overall feel of things being 'tighter' - presentation, graphics, and in-game explanations of things are all much more accessible and beautiful now than they were before - and the game feels a lot more professionally done than the still-excellent original.
Sound is a huge improvement - not even in the Silent Hill series has sound been employed to make such a huge difference in the tension and atmosphere - and the manual is most definitely to be believed when it tells you 'This game is best played through headphones'. Try it in a dark room. Trust me :-)
The controls are excellent, the Camera Obscura (your weapon) is now far less complicated to use and a lot more satisfying to have as your primary weapon. The inclusion of the 'Spirit Radio' may seem a little overdone, but it's a nice touch nevertheless.
What really marks 'Fatal Frame 2' out as a Standard-Bearing game is the sense of real, palpable terror it inspires. The ghosts are horrific in their simplicity and all feels very much like classic Japanese horrors like 'Ringu' and 'Dark Water'. The innocence of the girls and some of the spirits' human personalities is drawn in stark contrast to the violent and shocking methods by which they attack. The game is also full of wonderful aural and visual vignettes, adding more atmosphere than I can say.
An excellent title, current King of Survival Horror (and I've got through 'The Suffering' and 'Siren' in the last two months) and a definite must-have, I can't rave about this game enough.
Get it now.
Wow!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, atmospheric survival-horror title, June 8 2004
A. Markley "jotunheim999" (Evergreen, Colorado United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fatal Frame 2 - PlayStation 2 (Video Game)
I always used to think that nothing could get creepier than the Silent Hill franchise. I was wrong. Fatal Frame succeeds where many games/movies of this sort fail: it manages to make ghosts scary again. The game also has a unique take on the weapons system. Borrowing some elements from Onimusha, you can level up a camera, your only weapon, to better combat these apparitions.
Given the fact that I have yet to beat the game, I couldn't give you an entirely accurate summary of the story, but from what I've gathered, it's pretty good. For any survival horror fan, this game makes a welcome addition. I strongly recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Its a remake!, May 21 2004
A. Griffiths "Adrian" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fatal Frame 2 - PlayStation 2 (Video Game)
Fatal Frame 2 is a slick and atmosphere-laden game full of great graphics and spooky sounds. Sadly, it gets all of these great attributes by copying them from the highly effective first game, and not by adding anything new itself. Impressive games have often been followed by equally impressive sequels, so why did I find this one less effective than it could have been?
Well, to start with, the haunted mansion of the first game was foreboding and terrifying, a deathtrap that oozed menace from every corner. Collapsed masonry and rotten furnishings gave a realistic air of paranormal inhabitance. The second game uses an entire deserted village as its location, but a lot of it is quite drab and empty, and the sense of claustophobia is drastically diluted when you go outside, as you are meandering through streets and open areas instead of confined corridors and annexes. The other reason I felt less afraid was that the ghosts just didn't cause the goosebumps I got in the first game, which featured apparitions of people who suffered traumatic deaths like the girl with the broken back, or the woman with her eyes ripped out, as well as totally evil prescences like the man with the unnaturally long arms. The ghosts in FF2 often just look like real people, sometimes attacking you with sabres or flaming torches like any other survival horror enemies, so you don't feel the chill of having to battle a tortured soul who is crying in pain. In fact one set of ghosts in the sequel is a bunch of children who surround you and play "tag" with you...hmmm, I'm getting nostalgic for the first game just writing this. There are plenty of hidden and vanishing ghosts to test your reflexes on, so at least that provides the same level of fun. Sadly, the control system is also still the same, and it's still awful. Mio and Mayu are devishly hard to control because every camera angle change means you lose the direction you are going in and bump into everything (which led to much screaming from me when trying to run towards some of the valuable "miss 'em and they're gone" ghosts). But luckily the Options screen does give you the choice between this and the Resident Evil-style of movement, so if you can't make this one work, you can switch to that one, which is a definite plus. But, once again the "run" mode is nothing more than a dainty trot which looks far too twee coming from characters who are supposedly fighting for their lives.
Actually, the two sisters are far less engaging characters than Miku in the first game, who looked and acted a bit feistier, and had some really horrific events to contend with. Although the plot in the sequel does gradually reveal some interesting twists and fateful turns of events for our heroines, the atmosphere never gets as dark as it could due to the fact that this pair are drawn like two big eyed, cute-faced girlies with doll-like expressions that barely change, so they did not get my sympathy or interest, and were just too drippy, especially Mayu, who spends 90% of the game as your computer controlled partner and just gets in the way all the time.
So, even though a sequel that simply refines it's predecessor can result in a better game, that hasn't happened here in my opinion. For anyone that is a newcomer, and likes the sound of this type of game, go and get the first one immediately. The whole camera sytem and the power ups that can be earned for it, the ghost attacks and the horrific explanation behind the unfiolding events work perfectly and effectively in that one, producing an all-round classic game. This one is a simple retread with two lead characters instead of one, and a re-hashed but less gripping plot. Plus, the explanation of why taking pictures of ghosts will actually defeat them is mostly just glossed over here, whereas in the first game, Miku had a personal connection to the mysterious camera, which made its supernatural abilities a bit clearer.
I'll balance this rather negative list with a few pros; namely that the game seems a fair bit longer than the first, with more chapters and more places to go. And at some points along the way (just a few), the ghost encounters prove exceptionally difficult. The battles are still fun, though. Plenty of tactical planning is needed, as well as nerves of steel because once again, the most effective photos can only be taken the moment before a ghost moves in for the kill. But in conclusion, I have to say that although the whole package is well delivered, and probably above average for a "survival-chiller" game, this time I just don't feel the hairs on my neck standing up.

5.0 out of 5 stars and me without my katana, May 10 2004
B. Erickson "boycorrupted" (Overland Park, KS United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fatal Frame 2 - PlayStation 2 (Video Game)
I've never played the original "Fatal Frame," nor have I really played the "Silent Hills" beyond a few token rounds at friends' houses. I usually go for faster-paced action/shooter games. But I wanted to try something in the horror category, and I heard and read a lot of good things about "Fatal Frame 2." Understand that when I bought it I had just come off "Shinobi." The awkward and defenseless adolescent girls of "Frame" are definitely an acquired taste if you're accustomed to ninjas with superhuman powers and weapons. But I stuck it out, even though I found it REALLY frustrating at first, and I wound up with a certain appreciation for it. And I have to admit - this game IS creepy. It's like the Japanese "Blair Witch" - in fact, it borrows heavily from the general atmosphere of that film. Two young twin girls, one with a bum leg, wander into an abandoned village and find that they can't get out. Turns out it's haunted by rather hostile and aggressive spirits, damn the luck, and guess what - pairs of twin girls appear to have played a prominent role in its bloody history. Fortunately the present set finds a magical "camera obscura" that allows them to weaken and capture the spirits Ghostbuster-style. Still, that's hardly a weapon, and the girls are anything but agile. "Fatal Frame" is well-described as a game of "survival strategy," with the emphasis more on avoiding getting killed than killing - in fact you don't kill anything; your enemies are already dead! The excitement is generated by the spooky visuals, the sense of suspense between "battles," and of course the battles themselves, which are accompanied by the mock-heartbeat pulsing of the controller. You can make fun of it all you want with your friends, but you probably will get just a LITTLE freaked out if you play this game alone in the dark in surround sound for the first time. The woman crawling out of the chest scared the hell out of me...lol. I was never quite "obsessed" with "Fatal Frame" the way I have been with other games, but I was interested enough to finish it. In short, I don't know how real heads of this genre rate this game, but I had some fun!

Fatal Frame 2 - PlayStation 2
Fatal Frame 2 - PlayStation 2 by Tecmo Inc. (PlayStation2)
Used & New from: CDN$ 75.00