5.0 out of 5 stars BEST ALBUM ever.
I am in love with this album. When I first heard Television, I hated them, it is definately an aquired taste. I heard See No Evill first and could not take it.. but the more I listened the more I fell in love with this band!
Published on March 11 2012 by Emily

3.0 out of 5 stars overrated
Published on June 13 2004 by vways

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST ALBUM ever., March 11 2012
This review is from: Marquee Moon (Expanded) (Audio CD)
Guitar work in this is amazing, I love the singer more and more each time I hear him! They are not what you would classify as punk, although they emerged from that scene, they are more alternative, because their songs are alot slower and more "intense" than most punk. They sound similar to the Velvet Underground in a way.
The added tracks on this were interesting, they didnt really do anything for the album. I would have liked to just own the non extended version, but you can just not lsiten to the rest if you dont want to! It's interesting to hear other stuff.

All in all, best album I have EVER bought! BUY IT!

5.0 out of 5 stars A candle was flickering, and I was finally listening..., May 8 2004
This review is from: Marquee Moon (Expanded) (Audio CD)
So what are you looking for in this review? An affirmation of this band's place in history? I'm sorry, I cannot offer that. For you see, this band will be forgotten. When the mists of history come sweeping down, Television will be forgotten, but the Clash and the Sex Pistols will be remembered. But, for those who were ever still, sitting in silence with headphones wrapping them up, protecting them when Tom Verlaine's second solo in Marquee Moon hit... well, you know. His fingers needling those aluminum strings might as well as been plucking your heartstrings. This I know. I have never heard a guitar express sorrow such as this. Such furious, raging, flamboyant sorrow. Tom's playing on this album is ghost-like, otherwordly. His fingers are aliens transplanted from a world drowned by feeling. Cities under oceans of emotion. Richard Lloyd, Fred Smith, Billy Ficca are not background players here. They create the fabric of the dream, Tom's guitar couldn't play in the clouds if these three men didn't send him there with a beautiful rocket up his ass. Need proof? Listen to Television, then listen to Tom's solo albums. The music on this album is something, if given time, precious time, will in Oscar William's words, immortally wound you. It will stay in the folds of your heart until you're old, and the opening chords to Friction still give your crippled ass a januty step. The feeling and conveyance of sweet dread in Elevation will stick to the bottom of your feet forever. Prove It's rambling nature being saved by an insane solo will stir in you a belief of redemption. Torn Curtain's dark emotional melodrama will send you seeking scenes of your life in the stars. Every track here tells a ragged story of glory. Like Joe once shrieked, love and glory all becomes another story, but the question, will you.... listen to this story? If the Ramones were a beautiful drunken girl with huge (...) reading Dr. Seuess in a lovely voice, then Television was a Doestievski lookalike high on opium reading in a jittery voice some ancient text whose words, though wonderous, are no longer understood.... And, that's all I have to say.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's criminal that so few people have heard this album, April 6 2014
Steven Aldersley (Oshawa, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Marquee Moon (Expanded) (Audio CD)
Television are always mentioned in the same breath as Talking Heads, The Ramones and Blondie because they all used to play at CBGB in New York in the 70s. I own plenty of albums from those other three bands, but Marquee Moon is the one I always return to. For some reason, it's a bit of a cult record. I only really got into it completely around 15 years ago, but I mention it at every opportunity.

What makes Television unique is the guitar interplay between Tom Verlaine and Richard Lloyd. I'm not a musician, so it's hard to describe some of the sounds. I just know that no other band ever did this.

The lyrics are clever and the musical structure is complex. See No Evil is so accessible that it's almost pop, but pop with a raw edge. It's followed by Venus, which continues in the same vein, if a little darker. Friction kicks in with a cascade of guitar notes, and then starts spiraling into madness. The lyrics fit perfectly, and it's hard not to smile every time I hear "You complain of my dic-tion."

Even if the first three tracks don't capture your interest, it's hard to ignore what comes next. The title track is absolute perfection. Most fans would agree that Marquee Moon is the best song Television ever recorded, and it's even better live. The opening vocals are eerie and set the scene.

"I remember how the darkness doubled"
"I recall, lightning struck itself"
"I was listening, listening to the rain"
"I was hearing, hearing something else"

Make no mistake, this is a song that transports you to another world. Verlaine's vocals are more like David Byrne than a rock artist, but his limitations don't ruin the delivery. If you make it through this list, you'll notice that few of the bands can really sing. I like things a bit messed up. Just when you think the song has weaved its spell and can't possibly do any more, it returns to the opening verse. It absolutely has to be there to make the song feel complete.

Marquee Moon does not contain a weak song. Make sure you buy the remastered version or you'll miss out on Little Johnny Jewel. Television may also have been responsible for the best live album ever recorded, Live at the Old Waldorf.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic Album, Dec 30 2003
Steve Vrana (Aurora, NE) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Marquee Moon (Expanded) (Audio CD)
To me, a classic album is one in which I can return to time and again and rediscover the joy and excitement I found in it the first time I played it. This is true with Television's 1977 masterpiece MARQUEE MOON. In addition, the bonus material adds over 30 minutes of music to the original release. The most significant being the inclusion of their 1975 independently released single "Little Johhny Jewel," a 7-minute song originally spread out over two sides of the original 45, now spliced together as a single track. The other bonus tracks are alternate versions of "See No Evil," "Friction" and "Marquee Moon," along with an untitled instrumental. Like the Velvet Underground, Television never sold many records, but their influence is significant. ESSENTIAL

5.0 out of 5 stars Must-have for any music fan, not just punks..., Sept. 15 2006
S. Luo (canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Marquee Moon (Expanded) (Audio CD)
Marquee Moon was rated the #2 most oustanding/influential debuts by Q magazine and definitely deserves the title.
Television's music has the excitement and energy of the punk generation, but unlike most of their contempoaries (other regulars at CBGB's such as the Ramones and the New York Dolls), this band has technique and talent (gasp, yes).
Tom Verlaine is truly gifted in both songwriting and guitar playing. His lyrics are like triple entendres and thought-rovoking. Every note of his intricate guitar solos add to the song, never ostentatious.
The other members are no less adept in their respective instruments; Richard Lloyd is as much responsible as Verlaine for the record's beautiful entwining guitar passages. Fred Smith and Billy Ficca make up the rythm section, both very solid and fluid musicians.
Marquee Moon was worth every penny of the [...] i spent and more. Tom Verlaine's strange voice and the lengthy guitar solos may not be to everyone's taste, i agree, but personally i cannot imagine anyone not being blown away by the amazingness of this album. I listen to and love many bands, from the smiths to sonic youth to the beatles, but i have never been as captured by a sigle album as this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars I want to marry this album, Dec 11 2005
Kathleen YO! (Montreal, Quebec Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Marquee Moon (Expanded) (Audio CD)
I bought this album two weeks ago and I can't stop listening to it...whatever, its not punk, who cares? Even when I'm not listening to it I find the music and the lyrics stay embedded in my brain. I usually hate long drawn out solos but I love the 10 minute Marquee Moon and then the bonus track Little Johnny Jewel. I don't know if I'll ever be able to stop listening to this album.

4.0 out of 5 stars Guides more than just light, Aug. 26 2005
Cross (Toronto, Ontario) - See all my reviews
My uncle made me a tape of this record a while back, and i absolutly hated it! Then one day I was flipping through my music collection, and "discovered" this album. I put it on, and began to really notice the brilliance of the instrumental parts, and the jamming possiblities. This album is, more than anything, an excuse to have some good fun and jam for hours and hours. I couldn't name one single song that would encapsule the entire album, but "Marquee Moon" comes close. Altogether one of the best albums I've ever heard without having even known the band existed beforehand. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Prove it?, July 6 2004
This review is from: Marquee Moon (Expanded) (Audio CD)
Giving this ecstatic music anything less than 5 stars is an impertinence. Marquee Moon is up there with Astral Weeks and Forever Changes as one of the Untouchables of contemporary music.
I saw the band last week at the Academy here in Manchester (supporting a radiant, storming Patti Smith) and they were awesome. To hear Prove It - that descending guitar riff! - live was a highlight of my year. Tom Verlaine was and remains a hero (seek out his great albums Words From the Front and the wonderful The Wonder, for example). This is sparkling fresh, scintillating rock that transcends genres and labels.

3.0 out of 5 stars overrated, June 13 2004
This review is from: Marquee Moon (Expanded) (Audio CD)
I am a huge Richard Lloyd fan and I've followed him from band to band including his own. I've had just the Television Television album for ions (vinyl before cd and the cd) and it's good (I give it 3.9 out of 5). Giving (the souped up) Marquee Moon 3 out of 5 feels generous on my few listens so far which includes a couple headphone listens. For me, Tom Verlaine's singing is always repetitous sounding, somewhat lacking in range, and somewhat shrill although I like it in lesser doses; this is a shame because the music is sufficiently complicated to have been better. This album could use more bass depth to counter its tinny sound, less singing and probably shorter tracks. Television is not punk, sorry, lose that argument. Right now I think the best part is the extra tracks and alternate versions. Lose the duplicate original tracks and a couple others and this cd gets bumped to 4 out of 5. Like most old Velvet Underground, this ancient CD is interesting but over-hyped. Maybe you'll appreciate it more with lower expectations than the gazillion 5 star reviews and similar wild raves in the liner notes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why Didn't I Buy This 20 Years Ago?!, June 8 2004
Quinn (Oakland, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Marquee Moon (Expanded) (Audio CD)
After reading rave reviews for years, I finally got around to purchasing this classic CD several months ago and I can honestly say I didn't know music like this was possible.
Listening and performing music is a huge part of my life, and I have a very large CD collection, but Television has quickly become one of my favorite bands. I simply can't quit listening to this disc and in the space of a few months I've bought four of their five releases, including a live one on Ebay that's out of print. All of their CD's are great, but Marquee Moon is the best and qualifies as a must have for anyone who loves rock and roll. I'd give it bonus stars if I could.
I'd also recommend "The Blow-Up" and/or "Live At The Old Waldorf" (great, but out of print) to hear how Television re-interpreted this material on the fly. Simply incredible.

Marquee Moon (Expanded)
Marquee Moon (Expanded) by Television (Audio CD - 2003)