4.0 out of 5 stars Buy This Album and Vote Bush Out of Office
Where to start? I rarely give anything a 5-star rating -- unlike most of the 12-year-olds who review albums on Amazon -- but Metric's 'Old World Underground' was easily one of the best albums of 2003. That goes for rock, hip hop, country, opera, it's THAT GROOVY. So here goes:
Published on June 16 2004 by Thomas D. Moore

3.0 out of 5 stars All the elements are there, why isn't this more interesting?
In an effort to be more helpful than the gushing great reviews, I have to say that, for all I thought this album was going to be (based on said reviews), it still disappointed me. The band is very capable, but the songwriting/structure falls flat. "Succexy" is the best track, but little else matches it in terms of quality.
Published on June 24 2004

4.0 out of 5 stars Buy This Album and Vote Bush Out of Office, June 16 2004
Thomas D. Moore "Tommy Moore" (Washington, DC United States) - See all my reviews
Metric's a four-piece outfit that's not British but musically can best be plugged into the new wave genre -- although the keyboard doesn't drive the band, save for ferocious climaxes in songs like "IOU" and "Hustle Rose." Nope, Metric actually has a pretty good guitarist whose style can best be described as 'riffy' -- not too complicated but incredibly infecting. Plus they have a real bassist and drummer, so there's no cheesy 80s-style machine pounding out the beats.
The vocalist/keyboardist is an incredibly cool woman whose name escapes me, I've seen 'em twice at the 9.30 Club here in Washington and she's worth the price of admission. As stated above, her keyboards complement a rock band, and if you absolutely must know they're not Black Sabbath, which I love just as much as the next guy.
No, their sound is totally wild -- 'IOU' is a punk-themed ode to the stupidity of bombing children, see the rocking chorus (every ten-year-old enemy soldier thinks falling bombs are shooting stars sometimes, but she doesn't wish on them ...); 'Hustle Rose,' the next song, is the classic new-wave synth-style tune about ringing the virtues of commercialism; "Succexy" is a blend of synth and rock chiding the public for sitting around and doing nothing while Dubya and his minions lead us into foreign policy disaster after disaster (all we do is talk and split screens while the homeland plans enemies). The tune most likely to make it big on college radio is 'Dead Disco' -- a ROCKING nod to the fact nobody makes original music anymore -- YOU'VE GOT TO HEAR IT.
Hopefully I've painted a decent picture of what you can expect to hear after you buy this album. Please do so, for every Metric there's 200 crappy bands out there (the Darkness) getting fat and happy off MTV or whomever the man is these days.

4.0 out of 5 stars For once the hype is not hyperbole, Nov. 30 2006
Pberg (Ottawa, ON, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Old World Underground, Where Are You Now? (Audio CD)
This is a great example of wicked contemporary Canadian music and how less can be so much more.

Great melodies and instrumentation, and E Haines has one of the purest, sexiest voices I've ever heard. Not a huge fan of the more synth oriented songs, but even they are way more original and better than anything you'll hear on the radio.

I can't say enough about songs like Succexy, IOU and The List... they are insanely catchy (that guitar riff in the "passive attraction" section is sick).

It's fascinating, this is the kind of band I usually detest, but I guess it's the combination of deceptively simple arrangements, great oblique lyrics, solid guitar/bass/drumming and that beguiling voice that does it for me everytime.

I think my gf is starting to regret ever introducing me to them!

5.0 out of 5 stars metric beats imperial, Oct. 13 2003
Danielle (Vancouver BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
This band is amazing and their music is fantastic. Emily Haines and James Shaw met and formed the band in Toronto, then moved to Brooklyn, spent time in London and have ended up in L.A., picking up members along the way. This explains their sound, which I gladly find hard to pin down to any one location. But you can hear a bit of the Yeah Yeah Yeah's in Emily's voice, especially on Wet Blanket, and there's something almost Montreal-like to it all - both great things. A great bunch of songs, really.

5.0 out of 5 stars metric-old world underground where are you, Nov. 3 2009
fast shipping
perfect condition on arrival
love you !!!!
100% A+ 5 stars *****

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect pop album, Aug. 9 2006
This review is from: Old World Underground, Where Are You Now? (Audio CD)
From the slightly snarky lyrics to the catchy melodies, literate composition, and expressive, yet perfectly controlled vocals, this CD is audio crack. Please tell me how to get "combat baby" out of my head.

4.0 out of 5 stars Awsome CD, April 8 2006
bambi (Edmonton, Alberta) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Old World Underground, Where Are You Now? (Audio CD)
I enjoy this cd for all it's catchy' lyrics and melodies. Even though it only has 10 tracks Old World Underground, Where Are you Now deserves four stars. Why not five you ask? Because I find that in some of the songs the lyrics are repetead all little too often. This cd is still one of the best I own right now.

5.0 out of 5 stars can you say awesome?, Nov. 19 2005
lily (Vancouver, British Columbia Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Old World Underground, Where Are You Now? (Audio CD)
took me quite a long time to catch on with this band, but when I heard them for the first time, I knew I had to have their album.
So catchy, so dancey. Who wouldn't love it?

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Done, Sept. 16 2005
By A Customer
It's got the creativity of the Toronto Post-Rock Indy scene but polished up to be more accessible. Like Wet Blanket the most, but Dead Disco and the others shine.

5.0 out of 5 stars *claps*, July 13 2005
O MY! this album is so CATCHY. it's great.
i first saw it at HMV in the cheap section and I heard from some where that it was good. so i bought it and listened to it and it was fantastic! it wasnt removed from my cd player for weeks! succexy, IOU, Combat Baby, and Dead Disco are my fav's
since their only 10 songs on the album that's pretty much all of them. they are sooo unique and i LOVE it!
i downloaded some tunes from their first cd and its a different sound but just as great. their first album is called "Grow Up And Blow Away"
awesome job metric!

5.0 out of 5 stars Blew Me Away, and I Can't Stop Listening, Nov. 1 2004
This album (and Emily Haine's striking voice) grab you from the start and don't let go. I can listen to it over and over and never get sick of it.
I can't describe Metric's genre and style, but it's very dynamic, layered, the lyrics are clever, the guitarists are talented and who doesn't love a rock band with a girl as the lead singer?
IOU, Hustle Rose, Succexy, Combat Baby, Wet Blanket and Dead Disco are all standout tracks. That's a significant portion of the songs. And each listen you'll find something new to love.
I've seen Emily live and she's fantastic, as are other unreleased songs from this band that should be discovered, just like this hidden gem.

Old World Underground, Where Are You Now?
Old World Underground, Where Are You Now? by Metric (Audio CD - 2003)
Click for more info