4.0 out of 5 stars The Land Before Time
This movie is absolutely beautiful and wonderful I give this movie 2 thumbs up.

I am interested in dinosaurs, I've even seen this movie so many times.

And I consider Littlefoot, Cera, Spike, Ducky, Petrie, and even Rooter as my friends.

This movie is the best.

Also the kind of dinosaur Ducky, her parents, her brothers and...
Published on Sept. 29 2006 by Antym Pryshlakivsky

3.0 out of 5 stars Great movie - poor DVD!
This is one of those films that I expected to enjoy much less than many of my family's Disney favorites. As it turned out, both my children and my wife and I like the movie immensely.
Published on Dec 24 2000 by Kevin P. Westmoreland

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Great movie - poor DVD!, Dec 24 2000
Kevin P. Westmoreland (Asheville, NC United States) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Land Before Time (Full Screen) (DVD)
The touching story of Little Foot, the last remaining member of his family of Brontosauruses (Brontosauri?), is a great adventure as well. He joins up with younger members of other dinosaur families as they all journey to the Great Valley in search of food.
Along the way they encounter hunger, thirst, earthquakes, and, not least of all, the dreaded Sharptooth. The feel of the dinosaur age is well presented and the characters are cute without being saccharine (and they don't sing!).
The lesson that friends can be friends even though they don't look like you or act just like you is a nice one for kids to see. The idea that working together is important for reaching a goal is also a valuable one.
Having owned a VHS copy of the movie, I was anxious to see the DVD. The result on this particular version is very dissappointing.
First, the version is full-screen with no wide-screen option. This seems to be a minor problem since most of the action seems to take place center screen. It would have been nice to have the option for widescreen, however.
Secondly, the color and brightness varies widely from scene to scene (and, more jarringly, sometimes within a scene). The opening scene, which starts underwater, is actually darker and less sharp than on the VHS version. In several quiet, close-up scenes the picture will be perfectly exposed and then the picture will shift to a darker look and then back. Very annoying. Various nicks and scratches appear throughout the film - it appears that no effort was made to clean up the video master at all.
There were also no extras on the disc at all, and at the price of this DVD, you would expect a little more than just the movie and chapter selections. Disney issued their first few DVDs with little problems like this: no widescreen option, varying degrees of video quality, etc. They however, have moved to a more consistent product over the last six months. Hopefully, movies like The Land Before Time will be given better treatment in the future. This one in particular deserves better than it got.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Quality Film for Generations to Enjoy, March 22 1999
By A Customer
This is possibly the landmark achievement in filmmaking of all time. Now, before you disregard the rest of this because of the opening statement, think about what I said. The Land Before Time is a movie which can cross the age barrier without effort: Young children are left heartwarmed by the story; adults are left misty-eyed. A young man like myself who grew up with this movie can watch it repeatedly and recollect a childhood; others can experience a brand-new one with such a film as this. To simply put this story off as a children's flick is to do it the least justice possible; watch the movie, regardless of your age, and you are guaranteed to be left with one of the most memorable movie experiences of your life. The major reason for its quality? JAMES HORNER'S BRILLIANCE IN COMPOSING THE SOUNDTRACK. The greatest injustice to the brilliance of Don Bluth, George Lucas, Steven Spielberg, James Horner, and the others who worked to create this masterpiece? The abominations which attempt to pass as sequels to this work of art! Ignore them! Shun them! Do not go anywhere near these videos, if you value and cherish the purity of the original Land Before Time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Was worth the watch for me, Aug. 8 2002
E.G. Hardsworth (The Dock of the Bay) - See all my reviews
I was 6 or 7 when this film came out, and I always watched it with enthusiasm. I loved it when I saw it when 7 (and esp. the end theme song, sung by Diana Ross). I cried during it, laughed, felt happy, felt sad. I disagree with a previous review given, but I also understand that it does have it's share of so called "violence," but when I was seven, it hardly frightened me anymore than a scene from "Fantasia" would have (think of that "Night on Bald Mountain" scene with all those devilish creatures, now that's SCARY!). If you implement in your child's mind that it should be considered violent, then the child will set themself up for that, and in all honestly, I think it's up to the child in my respects. If the child shuns it, then switch it off; if the child is unaffected, leave it on.
But anyway, I love this movie, the soundtrack, and the thoughtfullness of each character and how each grew a little along their journey.

5.0 out of 5 stars Discover A Land Before Time, Jan. 28 2001
Embark on a journey into an enchanting prehistoric adventure with dinosaur pals Littlefoot, Cera, Spike, Ducky and Petrie in this acclaimed animated classic for the entire family. In a long-ago age of rumbling volcanoes and perilous earthquakes, a young bracheosaurus named Little Foot suddenly finds himself on his own. Setting to find the lush feeding grounds of the legendary Great Valley, he meets up with four other young dinosaurs who agree to join his quest. On their daring trek across a landscape filled with excitement and danger, the brave little band encounters hungry predators and daunting challenges as they discover new lessons in life and the importance of teamwork.
Presented by Steven Spielberg and George Lucas with direction by Don Bluth, The Land Before Time is a brilliantly imaginative, delightfully animated tale of friendship, loyalty and love, certain to capture the hearts of viewers young and old.

4.0 out of 5 stars What can I say, it's a classic. NOW STOP MAKING SEQUALS!!!!, March 14 2004
Ronska (San Fernando Valley) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: The Land Before Time (Sous-titres français) (DVD)
This is the original film that many of us grew up with. With such beauty and detail, how can anyone not like this film? James Horner performs his legendary compelling score and all of our favorite characters come to life in this classic. BUT, the DVD unfortunatley isn't up to par with those of us who are old enough to cross the street. Universal I guess has decided that this DVD will sell better if it's promoted directly toward kids and not fans. It's really a shame. It's like Disc 2 of Finding Nemo except you have to pay full price. It should have been done more like Finding Nemo and feature 1:85:1 Animorphic Widescreen, 5.1 Dolby Surround and 2 Channel Surround, audio commentary by director Don Bluth, and producers Steven Speilburg and George Lucas, and a documentary on Disc one. Disc two should be the DVD that they're trying to sell you now. It's deffinetly worth getting anyway, but still, it's a shame.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful classic, April 4 2000
By A Customer
When I first saw this movie I was a young kid. Dinosaurs are a fulcrum on wich the life of millions of children rest. A movie expressing good values, entertainment, and education based on these creatures would be fantastic, wouldn't it? This movie exists. The Land Before time is an instant classic, the best animated film I have ever seen. The story line is excellent, a rarity amongst animated films nowadays. The story is basically that a brontasaurus, named littlefoot must trek towards a "great valley" to avoid starvation. Along the way his mother is killed, and he must find his way alone. He learns courage, and he learns friendship from the duck-bill, stegasaurus, triceratops, and teradactole he meet along the way. I am 14 years old, and I found parts of this movie so emotional I still cry when I see it. This movie is a must for any child, and will be cherished by people of all ages.

4.0 out of 5 stars artwork, April 19 2001
Ce commentaire est de: Land Before Time (Full Screen) (DVD)
The striking thing about this animated picture is the paint work. Every detail of this movie is an art itself. I also read a review in which was mentioned that Don Bluth could not match Disney. I just think that the Don Bluth's style is somewhat different then Disney's. In spite of the splendid qualities of the disney movies I prefer to watch Don Bluth's animated movies because they are truely artistic. The colours and warmth are much more intense and the scores are better too. I do not have scores of disney movies but I do have scores of Don Bluth's movies. The 'Secret of Nimh' and 'the Land before time' are unbeatenable. Both the movies and the movie scores are 'must to have'.
(By the way, the European version of Secret of Nimh is widescreen)
Greetings from the Netherlands

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Don Bluth's few best movies, July 25 2000
Stewart (Raleigh, N.C.) - See all my reviews
"The Land Before Time" is another animated movie that people should see. Don Bluth has almost always picked the right unknown actors to do the voices in his movies. Here, Gabriel Damon {Littlefoot}, Candice Hutson {Cera}, and Judith Barsi {Ducky} are no exceptions. They all voiced their roles with unique talent. They gave humor, emotion, and great charm to their characters. Perhaps the greatest wonder and beauty of this movie is the music by James Horner. It is considered by many people to be one of his best scores. George Lucas and Steven Spielberg produced this movie, and they are the reasons for you to see this movie. Four powerful names in Hollywood-Lucas, Spielberg, Horner, and Bluth-and you have got a very good movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars The start of a great series., April 3 2000
Steven M. Stedman (BELLINGHAM WA) - See all my reviews
I first saw this movie several years before my kids were born, and I enjoyed it. But watching it with kids is even more enjoyable. My kids love this movie. It teaches them how if you stay with your friends then things will work out good.
The story is centered around Littlefoot the leader of this group of kid dino's. Spike, Cera, Ducky and Petrie all join together in search for the great vally after being seperated from their families.
This is a sad movie, a scary movie and a happy movie all in one. I think that the voices of the dinosaurs are great, they realy show their emotions.
This movies shows how different dinosaurs of different species need to work together to survive.
My favorite dino is Petrie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, March 17 2000
Ce commentaire est de: Land Before Time (Full Screen) (DVD)
I can remember my dad tqaking me to this when I was 4 of 5. I loved it! My brother had to buy me the video the day it came out. Since then I have watched the video so much that the tape is worn (thank God for the DVD). It's a touching story about friendship and teamwork. I feel like I'm going to cry when I watch it now. It's not because it's sad, it's just that it gets to me. One small thing that I don't like is not the movie itself, but the DVD release. No special features (unless extra languages are considered to be features). The picture is slightly grainy but that's OK. It's not TOO bad. Also, it isn't widescreen, which is a shame.

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

The Land Before Time (Sous-titres français)
CDN$ 9.99 CDN$ 4.88