5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Music
Jason Pierce has done a lot of great records over the past years. This one is less gospel inspired than the previous one. This one is more direct. A little like the song "Medication." This record was incredible to watch being played live. I love it.
Published on June 18 2004 by alexander laurence

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmmmm....
Published on Jan. 14 2004 by mike

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A noisy blast, and, hopefully, a hint of new directions, July 1 2004
This review is from: Amazing Grace (Audio CD)
Just looking at the cover of this album - what I assume is Jason Pierce's arm, free of track marks - shows that some attempt is being made to escape past demons here. Not entirely successfully, I'd say. But the sound of this album is, to be sure, quite a break from the direction of Spiritualized's prior two offerings. Stripped down, raucus, noisy - this sounds closer to Pierce's old Spacemen 3 days than anything I've heard from him in a while.
Does it work? Sort of. As I said, Pierce can't quite let go of the demons. Perhaps because he suspects that, without herion and heartbreak, he wouldn't have anything to write about. (Which I hope is not the case). Whatever the case, the first half of the album is, while enjoyable and noisy (and yes, the second track has quite a clever name indeed), nothing all that new. It's almost as though, by stripping down, Pierce is revealing that he's been playing around with the same few song structures that he's been using for years.
Then, following the obligatory free-jazz joint 'The Power & The Glory,' things start to get more interesting. 'Lord Let it Rain on Me' uses the familiar gospel sound that Pierce has empoyed before, but weds it to a somewhat more conventional structure, resulting in another surprisingly successful flirtation with a pop song. 'The Ballad of Richie Lee' is unlike anything I've yet heard from Pierce - throbbing bass, atonal strings, semi-rhythmic distorted guitar, the usual anguished murmurs - it's quite good indeed.
And the rest of the album seems to follow in this vein, loosening up, and starting to branch out a bit. It's a weird, almost disjointed listen. I enjoy it, but it's not a masterpiece. What it is, I hope, is the taste of Spiritualized's future - a little more mature, a little looser, a little more thoughtful. Maybe Pierce just needed to one last blast at the demons. This gives me hope for the future and for coming albums.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Music, June 18 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars Jason Pierce does it again., Jan. 30 2004
This review is from: Amazing Grace (Audio CD)
Spiritualized continue the terrific trend of not making an album deserving of less than a 9/10. Amazing Grace is an amalgam of all the finest points of previous albums - so if it's not quite as good as, say, Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space, it's still a worthy substitute. There's a steady stream of garage rock roar throughout, as though Spaceman has returned to declare that this crazy BRMC peddled rawk'n'roll which pervades the music scene lately was really of his creation - and he's right. "Hold On" and "Lord Let It Rain On Me" are the high points though, two desolate ballads mixing languid folk and gospel. There are also, like most Spiritualized records, a few exciting jazz experiments, particularly on "The Power and the Glory."
So Spiritualized have once more escaped straitjacket and made another record radically different from its predecessor. And it's damn good.

2.0 out of 5 stars Um What?, Jan. 22 2004
This review is from: Amazing Grace (Audio CD)
I have heard a lot about Spiritualized for several years, but never took the plunge and bought a CD. I bought Amazing Grace right before Christmas 2003. Now - I'm an open minded kinda guy. I think distortion a-la Richie Hawtin is cool. I like Sugar/Bob Mould. I'm down with Sounds of Blackness. So, I popped in Amazing Grace and hit play.
Discordant and unrelenting, this album plugs through over 10 songs of complete crap. The single good track, "Lord Let It Rain On Me" provides a brief period of respite, but the overwhelming desire I felt during most of my listening experience was to rend my cd player open, grab the album, and toss it out my window while screaming.
I suppose that this qualifies as "experimental." No doubt someone will find meaning in the sheer chaos that this album exudes. It's not me. Moby beat Spiritualized at its own game with Play (which, despite its licensing appeal, was a good album). If you want chillout, buy a Hanou or Madlib album. If you want gospel, buy Sounds of Blackness. For gods sake, don't buy this.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmmmm...., Jan. 14 2004
mike (Philadelphia, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Amazing Grace (Audio CD)
I honestly still don't know what to think about this yet. I've been listening to it non-stop since it hit the shelves and while trying not to compare it to past Spiritualized releases, I still can't grasp some of this. On one hand, there are phenominal songs on here ("Hold On", "Oh Baby", and "Lord Let it Rain on Me"), but then there's tracks where they hit the distortion pedal and try to emulate the sound they seemed to have abandoned since their previous efforts. I really don't know if the record fits right as a whole. It all just seems like a square peg trying to get jammed into a round hole sometimes. Don't get me wrong, I love everything J. Spaceman has given me, and I'm almost positive that in due time this record will settle and become yet another favorite of mine, but be warned, both loyal Spaceman fans and new listeners, this album is more of an acquired taste than a quick fix of ear candy. This is still probably better most of the horse dung that got released in 2003.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ahhhh.........., Jan. 11 2004
J. Rossi (Downers Grove, IL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Amazing Grace (Audio CD)
I endured the release of "Let it Come Down" with a thick skin and the knowledge that things couldn't get much worse. I was surprised that the usually mercurious J. Spaceman put a new album out merely two years after the last one, but after letting this one spin in the CD player for a while I was glad he didn't hesitate in releasing this.
"Amazing Grace" is nearly not a Spiritualized album. The songs are short, the production is stripped and the music is simplistic for J. Spaceman.
Openers `This Little Life of Mine' and `She Kissed Me (It Felt Like a Hit)' harken back to the days of `Electricity' from "Ladies and Gentlemen..." but that's not a bad thing. It seems that Mr. Pierce absorbed some cues from BRMC when they toured: These songs are simply noisy rock n roll songs that don't give an F about anything but the song.
`Hold On' and `Oh Baby' return to the expected Spaceman sound but not in some tired or stale way. On any previous Spiritualized albums these songs would have been two separate seven minute masterpieces; as it is they barely ecplipse seven minutes combined. `Hold On' is nearly a country-western Christian ballad, but in the hands of the capable Spaceman it accomplshes something more. `Oh Baby' is another ballad, this time a whisper soft whisp of ambient hum and gospel choir that sounds like what I imagine the ascension to Heaven to feel like. It is also pure beauty committed to tape that is best appreciated with a full soul.
`Never Goin' Back' brings back the stripped down rock sound again before `The Power and the Glory' soothes you with its bluesy intstrumental crawl. `Lord Let it Rain on Me' is a plaintive cry to an indifferent deity that is simply too good to pass up.
I didn't think much of `The Ballad of Richie Lee' at first, but successve listens reveal its lyrical density. If I could ever write a song or poem this complex about a lost loved one/friend, I would consider it my greatest achivement. `Cheapster' is another raw rocker, but at this point on the album it feels out of place, and `Rated x' is basically a `Richie Lee' reprise. If I ever burn this CD `Rated X' stays and `Richie Lee' is gone, mostly because of the former's orchestral beauty. `Lay it Down Slow' sounds like how you think it might, and it is the perfect closer for the album.
I like the fact the J. Spaceman is re-discovering his love for rock and roll again, but most of the upbeat tunes on this album sound too similar, that's why I don't give it the full five stars. However, after the disappointment of the previous album these 11 songs are exactly what a long time fan such as myself needed, and having seen the tour behind this album only helped my appreciation grow. If you see this album buy it, and if the Spaceman ever comes to your town see him. It can only do you good.

5.0 out of 5 stars pure rock and roll magic, Nov. 12 2003
Brian Castle (Geneva, Ohio USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Amazing Grace (Audio CD)
first off anyone giving this album 1 star can't accept the fact that jason pierce will never again make a copy of 'lazer guided melodies'. this album is somewhat different from his last few efforts in the fact that it is more raw and stripped down...although this may sound like a negative comment, it actually works well here...from start to finish it is just as emotional and powerful as previous spiritualized albums, just lacking the complex (sometimes overblown) production. if you can ever see them live i would highly recommend it...it is an extraordinary experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars pure rock and roll magic, Nov. 12 2003
Brian Castle (Geneva, Ohio USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Amazing Grace (Audio CD)
first off anyone giving this album 1 star can't accept the fact that jason pierce will never again make a copy of 'lazer guided melodies'. this album is somewhat different from his last few efforts in the fact that it is more raw and stipped down...although this may sound like a negative comment, it actually works well here...from start to finish it is just as emotional and powerful as previous spiritualized albums, just lacking the complex (sometimes overblown) production. if you can ever see them live i would highly recommend it...it is an extraordinary experience.

1.0 out of 5 stars A great band continues its slide into mediocrity..., Nov. 2 2003
J. Joens - See all my reviews
This review is from: Amazing Grace (Audio CD)
Spacemen 3 and Spiritualized, the band formed by Jason Pierce after Spacemen 3 broke up, made some of the most amazing music of the last two decades. I strongly recommend that people browse through their catalogues - there are all sorts of worthwhile cds to be found. Sadly, the most recent Spiritualized cds have been bad - really bad. So bad that they are painful to listen to, especially for fans of the earlier music.
I could go through "Amazing Grace" song by song, and even identify a few good moments - but why bother. If you are new to Spiritualized check out their earlier cds. The only thing interesting about this cd is whether or not it is as bad as the previous cd, "Let it Pour Down". If you are an old fan, pray that Pierce finds his second wind, and soon.

1.0 out of 5 stars I can't believe it, Oct. 23 2003
"jstrife" (Columbia, SC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Amazing Grace (Audio CD)
Yet again, I get my hopes up for the return of the Spiritualized that I once loved. But yet again, it was not to be... and believe me, I won't waste my money again. This disc and Let It Come Down are both AWFUL. And this is coming from somebody that really, really appreciated Laser Guided Melodies, Pure Phase, and Ladies and Gentlemen. I don't even know what Spaceman is doing anymore. This is not Spiritualized. He needs to call this "band" something else.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Amazing Grace
Amazing Grace by Spiritualized (Audio CD - 2010)