5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent show that I am glad to finally own a part of.
Published on June 19 2004 by J. A Hayes

3.0 out of 5 stars Space Toast
Published on Nov. 10 2009 by J. Lane

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Space Toast, Nov. 10 2009
This review is from: Space Ghost Coast to Coast Volume 1 (DVD)
As far as the genre goes, Space Ghost is slightly above average. The trippy opening visual effects provoke the eye, and the complete disregard for the guests makes most shows fun. The range of B-grade hopefuls adds to the show's intrigue, and some rare interviews are positively brilliant. Unfortunately, the writing occasionally descends into vacuousness, but in a not-so-interesting way.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a freak show, Feb. 23 2007
E. A Solinas "ea_solinas" (MD USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)
This review is from: Space Ghost Coast to Coast Volume 1 (DVD)
What if the Tonight Show were hosted by a washed-up superhero?

That's the quirky idea behind "Space Ghost: Coast to Coast," which unforgivingly lampoons talk shows and empty celeb worship, with the pompous superhero Space Ghost and his ex-nemeses in the spotlight. It takes a few episodes for the idea to really start working, but then it's absolutely hilarious.

Middle-aged Space Ghost lives on the Ghost Planet, where he guards lava-man Moltar and sadistic mantis (or locust) Zorak. And he has a talk show, which he tries to keep relatively calm, but which is frequently disrupted by Zorak's evil ramblings, Brak's demands for attention, and Moltar getting bored and flipping channels.

All his guests are non-animated real-people: Michael Stipe, Terry Jones, Fran Drescher, Lassie, three stars from "Batman," the Ramones, Weird Al Yankovic, David Byrne, Matthew Sweet, Slash, Alice Cooper, Donny Osmond, and a ten-second cameo by Ashley Judd at the end of the first episode (which is arguably the best thing about it).

Along the way, chaos is spread on the set as Space Ghost deals with a giant sea-monkey running amuck, tries to keep Zorak from conquering Rome, tries to convince Adam West to turn into Batman, must rescue Moltar from the evil YOUR MOTHER, falls in love with Fran Drescher, tries to do a monologue, and tries to order a pizza. All while interviewing his celebrity guests: "How many clouds does Earth have?"

"Space Ghost: Coast to Coast" starts rather weakly; the first few episodes are straightforward parodies with no surreal twists. Then the makers got into their niche, and began sprinkling the short program with surreal subplots like Zorak using a spell to make Space Ghost ask stupid questions on the air ("Would you like to see me eat a live mollusk?"). Not to mention utterly random stuff ("The Tingler is loose in the theater!").

At that point, the short episodes become thoroughly entertaining, with the flat Hanna Barbera animation in stark contrast to the live guests, who are a mixed bag. Some (Michael Stipe, David Byrne and especially Slash) seem very uncomfortable, but since the interviews are meant to be awkward, it's not a big deal.

Others (Weird Al, Eartha Kitt, Matthew Sweet, Carol Channing) seem to be enjoying themselves, and even join in on the insanity ("Citizen Joe, we're thrilled to have you on!" "Pleasure!" "Planet." "Gooey." "Deer Tick." "Who knows?").

Space Ghost himself is pretty funny -- pompous, vain about his GI-Joe body, a bit of a snob (he spends half an episode abusing Palmer Mills), and somewhat insane("I am a talk show host. I can say lots of things: Tuna fish, parentheses, coochie-coochie girl Charo. Zingnut ranch!"). Zorak is... well, Zorak. He's evil, malicious, and quite funny.

"Space Ghost: Coast to Coast" may never win a LuLu, but it was a hysterically funny show that only lagged toward the beginning. Definitely worth watching.

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny stuff, Sept. 5 2004
Chris Sharp "stoner_animation" (Surrey, British Columbia Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Space Ghost Coast to Coast Volume 1 (DVD)
When i bought this dvd i took a risk cause i never seen a episode before. The risk was well worth it. What you get is a 60's cartoon superhero who had his own late night talk show. The outcome is pure chaos. Spaceghost mocks, demands and asks the stupidiest questions of his guests that you can't help but to laugh yourself silly. With his bandlead always interupting with meanlessing threats and incohearant remarks this dvd is well worth picking up. I am gonna be buying Vol come noverber i suggest that you do the same

3.0 out of 5 stars It wasn't that great, July 19 2004
This review is from: Space Ghost Coast to Coast Volume 1 (DVD)
Nobody really needs to buy this unless there obsessed with the show already. I bought it because it was recommended for Aqua Teen Hunger Force fans. It's really nothing like ATHF. I didn't find anything funny on almost every episode. Only 5 episodes were funny to me but all the other ones were boring. You don't need to spend your money on this. I will never watch this more then once. GO and buy Aqua Teen Hunger Force DVD's instead. ATHF are way better then Space Ghost. I'm still going to list the episodes on this DVD set because I do it for every other DVD set.
EPISODES ON THIS DVD SET:
1-Elevator- (10:41) (guests: Judy Tuenta, Timothy Leary and Ashley Judd)
2-Spanish Translation- (10:54) (guests: Kevin Meany and The Bee Gees)
3-Gilligan- (11:40) (guests: Dawn Ells, Bob Denver and Russell Johnson)
4-CHiPs- (10:22) (guests: Bill Carter and Joe Franklin)
5-Bobcat- (11:20) (guests: The Ramones and Bobcat Goldthwait)
6-Punch- (11:10) (guests: Jerky Boys, Cindy Guyer and Dian Parkinson)
7-Banjo- (11:25) (guests: Schooly D and Weird Al Yankovic)
8-Batmantis- (10:58) (guests: Adam West, Eartha Kitt and Lee Meriwether)
9-Story Book House- (12:32) (guests: Kirk the Storyteller and Carl the Cartoonist)
10-Girlie Show- (11:33) (guests: Fran Drescher, Carol Channing and Alice Cooper)
11-Hungry- (12:38) (guests: Lassie, Michael Stipe and Sirajul and Mujibur)
12-Fire Drill- (12:59) (guests: David Byrne and Donny Osmond)
13-Sleeper- (12:27) (guests: Hulk Hogan and Slash)
14-Jerk- (17:25) (guests: Palmer Mills and Sandra Bernhard)
15-Urges- (16:26) (guests: Matthew Sweet and Catherine Bach)
16-Explode- (14:24) (guests: Glen Phillips and Terry Jones)
Special features:
-Commentary on episodes 1,8,9,10,12.
-Music Video of Zorak playing Jingle Bells
-Original Artwork

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent show that I am glad to finally own a part of., June 19 2004
J. A Hayes (Montgomery, AL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Space Ghost Coast to Coast Volume 1 (DVD)
Space Ghost Coast To Coast aired on the Cartoon Network in 1994, and the concept was simple, yet brilliant. Space Ghost is the host of his own talk show, with classic enemies Moltar and Zorak helping out. I have been watching this show on and off ever since the beginning because it is simply hilarious, and a perfect parody of those annoying talk shows we all hate anyways. There are often humorous interviews with celebrities such as Bobcat Goldthwait, Judy Tenuta, Hulk Hogan, The Ramones and Adam West. The interviews are funny, with Space Ghost outwitted by his guests and also by Zorak and Moltar, who often interrupt with obnoxious outbursts that are to be expected from former enemies. To me Zorak is the best on here, with him eating his nephew Raymond and using a spell to control Space Ghost's mind.
This is a terrific show, and I can see no flaw in the material presented here. Included are 16 great episodes. Other reviewers say 6 episodes are missing and that is a shame because they would have fit nicely on this set. But I can't honestly complain because I am happy to own any of these great shows, which are 15 minutes long each. The only negative here is in the way of extras, which are really only some commentaries and a song performed by Zorak. A lot of people dont appreciate the lack of extras, and while it could have had more, the lack thereof doesn't subtract from the value I hold for this great show and DVD. It was great when I was a kid, and it is still great now. Just to mention a couple of my favorite episodes I would say Banjo (where space ghost raises a sea monkey named Banjo), Batmantis (where 2 formers actresses who portrayed catwoman and Adam West are interviewed) and CHIPs are among my favorites. I also thought the Story Book House episode was interesting as well. So I hope this helped persuade you to at least see this show if you haven't already. And if you like the show you owe it to yourself to buy this dvd. It is very reasonably priced and it is a great show to watch when you need to laugh.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best of SGC2C, March 28 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Space Ghost Coast to Coast Volume 1 (DVD)
I truly love this show. Unfortunately, nearly the entire first disk contains non-hilarious episodes. The second disk is much funnier.(...) It would have been better to put the best episodes on DVD, not just the first few seasons. Still, if you'd rather have some Space Ghost than none at all, this set is worth purchasing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Space Ghost - Well worth it, March 17 2004
S. Noons "Kjb" (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Space Ghost Coast to Coast Volume 1 (DVD)
Space Ghost is excellent. It manages to be both funny and subversive without sinking into preachy "weirder than you" comedy and insider jokes. The only reason I didn't give this very reasonably priced DVD 5 stars is the fact if you don't get it in the first 30 minutes, you'll probably never get it; however, this isn't usually the something you'll stumble across without having seen a few episodes. If you like Space Ghost (and his untrustworthy sidekicks) you'll like this. The celebritites he interviews don't seem to get the joke and that makes this even better.
Funny, Insightful and unappreciated.

5.0 out of 5 stars Are You Getting Enough Oxygen?, Feb. 1 2004
This review is from: Space Ghost Coast to Coast Volume 1 (DVD)
I have loved Space Ghost Coast to Coast from the very beginning. Watching the pompous and pretentious ego of Space Ghost constantly being pummeled by Moltar and Zorak, all the while being intellectually outwitted by his guests (including even Bob Denver) is an absolute joy to those of us that hate the inanity of modern talk shows. Taken as a whole, the different personas on Space Ghost Coast to Coast synergistically combine to produce the simultaneously best and worst talk show in history.
The episodes for this DVD set were carefully picked, and contain some of the greatest moments in talk show history. Among my favorites are: 'Batmantis', in which Zorak dresses as a superhero and the Ghost interviews two former Catwomen from the old "Batman" TV show; 'Birthday', where the Ramones torment Space Ghost by eating his cake; and 'Bobcat', in which Bobcat Goldthwaite unsubtly betters the Ghost.
As for weaknesses, the DVD set has few. I personally would have liked to have seen more Brak, but that's just personal taste. The only really glaring issue with the set is the lack of extras. There are episode commentaries on a couple of the episodes, which are great, but that's about it. Still all in all this is a DVD set that no lover of Space Ghost or lunacy in general should be without. I anxiously await future volumes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Greetings I am Space Ghost, Jan. 24 2004
This review is from: Space Ghost Coast to Coast Volume 1 (DVD)
This is one of the most odd, unusual, but hilarious shows ever made! I would definately recommend this hilarious show. It's got wonderful characters, ala Brak, Zorak, and Multar, and has some wonderful guests appearances. This is gem to any collectors DVD library. Buy it now or I'll zap you with my death ray.

5.0 out of 5 stars I myself am a creature from Scotland. From Scotland., Jan. 14 2004
Matthew Newland (Tropical Montreal, Quebec) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Space Ghost Coast to Coast Volume 1 (DVD)
Ah, "Space Ghost: Coast to Coast". While the original 1960s cartoon show was a bit before my time and of very little interest to me when I actually did see some reruns of it (contrary to the Beatles, who date back to the same era), the animated character Space Ghost failed to realize his ultimate destiny until the day this highly bizarre talk show was created. I find it difficult to believe it, but it will be ten years ago this coming June that I saw this show for the first time (ah, that magical summer of 1994)... This show imprinted itself as a necessary part of my existence from the very first episode I watched (I remember that fifteen minutes very well indeed, from the first of many hard laughs it gave me up to the immense dissapointment I felt upon discovering, with the rolling of the credits, that the show was only fifteen minutes in length).
SG:C2C is classic comedy and brilliant television, and I'm very happy to have this DVD collection in my possession. Covering the first two seasons of the show, six episodes from the range presented to us here are missing, but fortunately as my memory isn't THAT good I have no idea which ones were not included. Fortunately, the ones that we are given are classics, notably "Banjo", the one with "Weird Al" Yankovic, and "Fire Drill", with Talking Heads' David Byrne (not to be confused with the late David Byron of Uriah Heep) and Donny Osmond. Byrne's confusion and frustration at his treatment by his interviewer would make this one a classic all on its own, but those moments are just a small portion of what the whole episode has to offer (I won't even mention the wooly panda). But in spite of the fact that I've singled those two shows specifically out, they are by no means the best... each one has a tremendous amount of humor, absurdity, and craziness to offer its viewer not just once, but many times over and over (this is one show with a very high rewatchability factor, great for when you want to introduce it to unenlightened friends).
Better still is the price... you just can't beat it. There's nothing to complain about. Great shows for a very low cost, which will provide you with years of entertainment and laughs... What more is there to say? I'd like to keep some surprises as surprises for those of you just discovering what we've got here, so I think I'll wrap up with that, and let you fall into it the way I did (I only watched this show for the first time because the TV was on, I was reading something, and was too distracted to change the channel). Buy it today, and you'll be a much happier person.
Carry on Carry on,
MN

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xb22b8fc0)

Space Ghost Coast to Coast Volume 1
Space Ghost Coast to Coast Volume 1 by George Lowe (DVD - 2003)
CDN$ 39.99 CDN$ 16.69