5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent show that I am glad to finally own a part of.
Published on June 19 2004 by J. Hayes

3.0 out of 5 stars It wasn't that great
Published on July 19 2004 by MMAfan

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a freak show, Feb. 22 2007
E. A Solinas "ea_solinas" (MD USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Space Ghost Coast to Coast Volume 1 (DVD)
What if the Tonight Show were hosted by a washed-up superhero?

That's the quirky idea behind "Space Ghost: Coast to Coast," which unforgivingly lampoons talk shows and empty celeb worship, with the pompous superhero Space Ghost and his ex-nemeses in the spotlight. It takes a few episodes for the idea to really start working, but then it's absolutely hilarious.

Middle-aged Space Ghost lives on the Ghost Planet, where he guards lava-man Moltar and sadistic mantis (or locust) Zorak. And he has a talk show, which he tries to keep relatively calm, but which is frequently disrupted by Zorak's evil ramblings, Brak's demands for attention, and Moltar getting bored and flipping channels.

All his guests are non-animated real-people: Michael Stipe, Terry Jones, Fran Drescher, Lassie, three stars from "Batman," the Ramones, Weird Al Yankovic, David Byrne, Matthew Sweet, Slash, Alice Cooper, Donny Osmond, and a ten-second cameo by Ashley Judd at the end of the first episode (which is arguably the best thing about it).

Along the way, chaos is spread on the set as Space Ghost deals with a giant sea-monkey running amuck, tries to keep Zorak from conquering Rome, tries to convince Adam West to turn into Batman, must rescue Moltar from the evil YOUR MOTHER, falls in love with Fran Drescher, tries to do a monologue, and tries to order a pizza. All while interviewing his celebrity guests: "How many clouds does Earth have?"

"Space Ghost: Coast to Coast" starts rather weakly; the first few episodes are straightforward parodies with no surreal twists. Then the makers got into their niche, and began sprinkling the short program with surreal subplots like Zorak using a spell to make Space Ghost ask stupid questions on the air ("Would you like to see me eat a live mollusk?"). Not to mention utterly random stuff ("The Tingler is loose in the theater!").

At that point, the short episodes become thoroughly entertaining, with the flat Hanna Barbera animation in stark contrast to the live guests, who are a mixed bag. Some (Michael Stipe, David Byrne and especially Slash) seem very uncomfortable, but since the interviews are meant to be awkward, it's not a big deal.

Others (Weird Al, Eartha Kitt, Matthew Sweet, Carol Channing) seem to be enjoying themselves, and even join in on the insanity ("Citizen Joe, we're thrilled to have you on!" "Pleasure!" "Planet." "Gooey." "Deer Tick." "Who knows?").

Space Ghost himself is pretty funny -- pompous, vain about his GI-Joe body, a bit of a snob (he spends half an episode abusing Palmer Mills), and somewhat insane("I am a talk show host. I can say lots of things: Tuna fish, parentheses, coochie-coochie girl Charo. Zingnut ranch!"). Zorak is... well, Zorak. He's evil, malicious, and quite funny.

"Space Ghost: Coast to Coast" may never win a LuLu, but it was a hysterically funny show that only lagged toward the beginning. Definitely worth watching.

3.0 out of 5 stars It wasn't that great, July 19 2004
This review is from: Space Ghost Coast to Coast Volume 1 (DVD)
Nobody really needs to buy this unless there obsessed with the show already. I bought it because it was recommended for Aqua Teen Hunger Force fans. It's really nothing like ATHF. I didn't find anything funny on almost every episode. Only 5 episodes were funny to me but all the other ones were boring. You don't need to spend your money on this. I will never watch this more then once. GO and buy Aqua Teen Hunger Force DVD's instead. ATHF are way better then Space Ghost. I'm still going to list the episodes on this DVD set because I do it for every other DVD set.
EPISODES ON THIS DVD SET:
1-Elevator- (10:41) (guests: Judy Tuenta, Timothy Leary and Ashley Judd)
2-Spanish Translation- (10:54) (guests: Kevin Meany and The Bee Gees)
3-Gilligan- (11:40) (guests: Dawn Ells, Bob Denver and Russell Johnson)
4-CHiPs- (10:22) (guests: Bill Carter and Joe Franklin)
5-Bobcat- (11:20) (guests: The Ramones and Bobcat Goldthwait)
6-Punch- (11:10) (guests: Jerky Boys, Cindy Guyer and Dian Parkinson)
7-Banjo- (11:25) (guests: Schooly D and Weird Al Yankovic)
8-Batmantis- (10:58) (guests: Adam West, Eartha Kitt and Lee Meriwether)
9-Story Book House- (12:32) (guests: Kirk the Storyteller and Carl the Cartoonist)
10-Girlie Show- (11:33) (guests: Fran Drescher, Carol Channing and Alice Cooper)
11-Hungry- (12:38) (guests: Lassie, Michael Stipe and Sirajul and Mujibur)
12-Fire Drill- (12:59) (guests: David Byrne and Donny Osmond)
13-Sleeper- (12:27) (guests: Hulk Hogan and Slash)
14-Jerk- (17:25) (guests: Palmer Mills and Sandra Bernhard)
15-Urges- (16:26) (guests: Matthew Sweet and Catherine Bach)
16-Explode- (14:24) (guests: Glen Phillips and Terry Jones)
Special features:
-Commentary on episodes 1,8,9,10,12.
-Music Video of Zorak playing Jingle Bells
-Original Artwork

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent show that I am glad to finally own a part of., June 19 2004
J. Hayes (AL, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Space Ghost Coast to Coast Volume 1 (DVD)
Space Ghost Coast To Coast aired on the Cartoon Network in 1994, and the concept was simple, yet brilliant. Space Ghost is the host of his own talk show, with classic enemies Moltar and Zorak helping out. I have been watching this show on and off ever since the beginning because it is simply hilarious, and a perfect parody of those annoying talk shows we all hate anyways. There are often humorous interviews with celebrities such as Bobcat Goldthwait, Judy Tenuta, Hulk Hogan, The Ramones and Adam West. The interviews are funny, with Space Ghost outwitted by his guests and also by Zorak and Moltar, who often interrupt with obnoxious outbursts that are to be expected from former enemies. To me Zorak is the best on here, with him eating his nephew Raymond and using a spell to control Space Ghost's mind.
This is a terrific show, and I can see no flaw in the material presented here. Included are 16 great episodes. Other reviewers say 6 episodes are missing and that is a shame because they would have fit nicely on this set. But I can't honestly complain because I am happy to own any of these great shows, which are 15 minutes long each. The only negative here is in the way of extras, which are really only some commentaries and a song performed by Zorak. A lot of people dont appreciate the lack of extras, and while it could have had more, the lack thereof doesn't subtract from the value I hold for this great show and DVD. It was great when I was a kid, and it is still great now. Just to mention a couple of my favorite episodes I would say Banjo (where space ghost raises a sea monkey named Banjo), Batmantis (where 2 formers actresses who portrayed catwoman and Adam West are interviewed) and CHIPs are among my favorites. I also thought the Story Book House episode was interesting as well. So I hope this helped persuade you to at least see this show if you haven't already. And if you like the show you owe it to yourself to buy this dvd. It is very reasonably priced and it is a great show to watch when you need to laugh.

5.0 out of 5 stars Are You Getting Enough Oxygen?, Feb. 1 2004
This review is from: Space Ghost Coast to Coast Volume 1 (DVD)
I have loved Space Ghost Coast to Coast from the very beginning. Watching the pompous and pretentious ego of Space Ghost constantly being pummeled by Moltar and Zorak, all the while being intellectually outwitted by his guests (including even Bob Denver) is an absolute joy to those of us that hate the inanity of modern talk shows. Taken as a whole, the different personas on Space Ghost Coast to Coast synergistically combine to produce the simultaneously best and worst talk show in history.
The episodes for this DVD set were carefully picked, and contain some of the greatest moments in talk show history. Among my favorites are: 'Batmantis', in which Zorak dresses as a superhero and the Ghost interviews two former Catwomen from the old "Batman" TV show; 'Birthday', where the Ramones torment Space Ghost by eating his cake; and 'Bobcat', in which Bobcat Goldthwaite unsubtly betters the Ghost.
As for weaknesses, the DVD set has few. I personally would have liked to have seen more Brak, but that's just personal taste. The only really glaring issue with the set is the lack of extras. There are episode commentaries on a couple of the episodes, which are great, but that's about it. Still all in all this is a DVD set that no lover of Space Ghost or lunacy in general should be without. I anxiously await future volumes.

5.0 out of 5 stars I myself am a creature from Scotland. From Scotland., Jan. 14 2004
Matthew Newland (Tropical Montreal, Quebec) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Space Ghost Coast to Coast Volume 1 (DVD)
Ah, "Space Ghost: Coast to Coast". While the original 1960s cartoon show was a bit before my time and of very little interest to me when I actually did see some reruns of it (contrary to the Beatles, who date back to the same era), the animated character Space Ghost failed to realize his ultimate destiny until the day this highly bizarre talk show was created. I find it difficult to believe it, but it will be ten years ago this coming June that I saw this show for the first time (ah, that magical summer of 1994)... This show imprinted itself as a necessary part of my existence from the very first episode I watched (I remember that fifteen minutes very well indeed, from the first of many hard laughs it gave me up to the immense dissapointment I felt upon discovering, with the rolling of the credits, that the show was only fifteen minutes in length).
SG:C2C is classic comedy and brilliant television, and I'm very happy to have this DVD collection in my possession. Covering the first two seasons of the show, six episodes from the range presented to us here are missing, but fortunately as my memory isn't THAT good I have no idea which ones were not included. Fortunately, the ones that we are given are classics, notably "Banjo", the one with "Weird Al" Yankovic, and "Fire Drill", with Talking Heads' David Byrne (not to be confused with the late David Byron of Uriah Heep) and Donny Osmond. Byrne's confusion and frustration at his treatment by his interviewer would make this one a classic all on its own, but those moments are just a small portion of what the whole episode has to offer (I won't even mention the wooly panda). But in spite of the fact that I've singled those two shows specifically out, they are by no means the best... each one has a tremendous amount of humor, absurdity, and craziness to offer its viewer not just once, but many times over and over (this is one show with a very high rewatchability factor, great for when you want to introduce it to unenlightened friends).
Better still is the price... you just can't beat it. There's nothing to complain about. Great shows for a very low cost, which will provide you with years of entertainment and laughs... What more is there to say? I'd like to keep some surprises as surprises for those of you just discovering what we've got here, so I think I'll wrap up with that, and let you fall into it the way I did (I only watched this show for the first time because the TV was on, I was reading something, and was too distracted to change the channel). Buy it today, and you'll be a much happier person.
Carry on Carry on,
MN

5.0 out of 5 stars Great set -- oh, while Brak isn't here is . . ., Jan. 10 2004
This review is from: Space Ghost Coast to Coast Volume 1 (DVD)
Brak was primarily on another show, not Space Ghost Coast to Coast. They run back to back so it is easy to confuse them.
The thing that I love about these discs is--and I hate to say this--the disrespect Space Ghost shows to all of his guests, and how very uncomfortable many of the guests obviously feel. Even Donnie Osmond, who clearly knows what to expect and has seemingly come prepared for it, gets a little rattled (but to his credit, he really, really hung in there!). Slash is so uneasy that he explicitly requests to someone offscreen that he be allowed to leave the interview. Some get along great with the whole stupid idea, like the Professor from GILLIGAN'S ISLE. Hulk Hogan seems pretty much at ease with things, and Bobcat Golthwait is fine.
Space Ghost is the worst talk show host in history, and that is pretty much the point. He was the star of an absolutely dreadful cartoon show, and now he gets to be the host of his show where he becomes a master of the non sequitur, as when he stands up suddenly, with no warning, and asks his guest, "What do you find to admire about me?" while flexing his muscles. I think my favorite question might be when he asks one of his ghosts, "Are you getting enough oxygen?"
Great show. Also, I'm glad there isn't much Brak. Lord, that guy was annoying!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent show, but DVD could have been even better, Dec 30 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Space Ghost Coast to Coast Volume 1 (DVD)
First of all, I love the episodes on this DVD. Some of the guests are game and hilarious (Wierd Al, Terry Jones), others appear confused by the whole experience (David Byrne, Adam West), while others seem just plain aggravated (Alice Cooper, Donnie Osmond). Oddly enough, the show works on all these levels. My favorite episodes have to be the Batman and Gilligan episodes, which feature stars of the respective TV shows. It's a lot of fun watching their reactions to SG's inane questions. The animosity between Space Ghost, Moltar, and Zorak is hilarious as well.
The absence of six episodes does hurt the DVD a bit. The whole thing seemed a little light for a two-disc set. I also found the commentaries somewhat awful. It sounds like six people all trying to talk at the same time. Aside from some artwork, there are really no extras here (a Zorak music video is from an episode that should have been included anyway). I would have liked to see more about how the show is actually created and how the interviews actually work.
But the real meat here is the show itself, and what is here is top-notch. Both fans and the uninitiated will enjoy this disk.

5.0 out of 5 stars Animated comedy that outdoes the live stuff, Nov. 28 2003
This review is from: Space Ghost Coast to Coast Volume 1 (DVD)
1994. That was the year that the first Space Ghost Coast to Coast show came on the air, and I knew that a revolution was taking place. Instead of having dumb guests plug useless crap, SGCTC tried to find an audience that would watch it and get the jokes, so they stuck it at the same time as Letterman and Leno.
I thought that the first two episodes were incredible, and have yet to be topped by the rest of the series, but they will be topped, give it time. The guest list is what makes this series great, Weird Al Yankovic even gives an interview - which is rare since most hosts think he's not worth their time, but he proves to be as entertaining as the actual cast. Zorak is one of the most humorous bad guys to ever surface, continually failing yet trying anyway regardless of injury, which makes Space Ghost always stay on his toes. Moltar is essentially the straight-man, constantly suffering the bad banter Space Ghost and Zorak get into while he tries to make sure that everything on the show runs smoothly.
This was the groundbreaker and something that I consider to be the reason that the entirety of Adult Swim and other "grown-up" animated shows exist. They have an interesting group they target, the guys who watched The Tick (live and animated), Family Guy (Now having found its audience on... Adult Swim), Duckman and the most recent one; Clerks (truly one of those great shows that is doomed to obscurity) will always be able to watch T.V. for a few hours that doesn't involve at least one pregnancy scare a year.
Buy this if you love the banter in Drew Carey or Frasier, and avoid it like the plague if you watch Will & Grace or Friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliantly conceived and executed television show, Nov. 11 2003
Robert Moore (Chicago, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Space Ghost Coast to Coast Volume 1 (DVD)
I am ecstatic that this is now available on DVD! One of the shows that my daughter and I have most enjoyed watching together has been SPACE GHOST COAST TO COAST, which is easily one of the most improbable great shows TV has ever seen. The concept of the show is utterly brilliant: has-been sixties television cartoon character Space Ghost is given his own late night talk show, which is broadcast from the distant regions of outer space using some of his arch enemies as staff and crew, including the molten monster Zoltar as director and the hysterically funny (and evil!) giant praying mantis Zorak as his musical director, a la Paul Schaeffer. But that is only half the brilliance of the show. Adding an extraordinarily edgy and searing theme song by Sonny Sharrock and a host of brilliantly selected guests, the show comes across as Dave Letterman from the Bizarro World. Because they are in outer space, the guests can only appear by remote broadcast, and each guest is introduced by a television screen dropping from the ceiling, providing the only real life presence in what is otherwise a minimally and cheaply animated show.
Space Ghost is a brilliantly awful host, constantly (and accidentally) disrespecting his guests, and asking one question after another that completely unillumines the lives and careers of the guests. His questions of his guests are frequently absurd and apropos of nothing. His most commonly asked questions are "What are your super powers?" and "What is your secret identity?" When Michael Stipe of R.E.M. appears as a guest, Space Ghost asks, "Is that you in the corner?" to which Stipe replies, "Yes."
The guests are brilliantly chosen and are precise equivalents of those appearing on Dave Letterman/Jay Leno/Conan O'Brien. They range from diet expert Susan Powter ("What super powers do you use to stop the insanity?"), Judy Tenuta, cast members of GILLIGAN'S ISLAND, The Ramones, Bob Goldthwait, Weird Al Yankovic, cast members of the TV show BATMAN, Dr. Joyce Brothers (who carefully decides that what is wrong with Zorak is that, "He is evil"), Donny Bonaduce, Branford Marsalis, Fran Drescher, Carol Channing, Donnie Osmond, Hulk Hogan, Slash (of Guns 'n' Roses), Sandra Bernhard, Matthew Sweet, and Terry Gilliam.
My favorite character is, by far, Zorak, who is, we are frequently informed, evil (pronounced eeee-ville). Some of my favorite moments occur when Space Ghost insults Zorak, and the "camera" shows a long shot of an unmoving, unresponsive Zorak. Occasionally he will break out with some piece of absurdity, such as when in an early episode he suddenly proclaims, "I am the lone locust of the apocalypse. Think of me when you look to the night sky!" One show features his relatives as the entire audience, and in one of the first season's highlights, Zorak yearns for the love of a female praying mantis until he finds out precisely what his role in such a dalliance involves.
Because the show is produced with such a minimal budget, and because the animated characters rarely move, the producers and writers have had to become enormously creative to make up for what the show lacks in resources. The result is what is genuinely one of the most original shows in the history of animation.

5.0 out of 5 stars SGC2C IS THE GEM OF CARTOON NETWORK!, July 23 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Space Ghost Coast to Coast Volume 1 (DVD)
Adult Swim is Cartoon Network's late-night programming block of cartoons that appeal to a grown-up sense of humor and other adult sensibilities.
What does all of this have to do with DVD? Glad you asked! The Cartoon Network, in conjunction with Warner Brothers Home Video, have just issued their first official announcement for a Space Ghost Coast-To-Coast DVD set!...The 1st talk show set in space!
What you get:
Sleeper
Jerk
Urges
Explode
*episodes on the actually finished product could be different*
2. Special features
As of right now (Oct.13th) I know that there will be commentaries on all the episodes and a really weird "touch" Space Ghost game.
3. Complete running time is 203 minutes.
Even though the 1st episodes of Space Ghost weren't the very best. Any fan of the show knows Space Ghost is the bread and butter of adult swim, and should buy this and future sets.
AND DON"T FORGET TO WATCH SIX BRAND NEW EPISODES STARTING NOV. 23RD ONLY ON ADULT SWIM!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Space Ghost Coast to Coast Volume 1
Space Ghost Coast to Coast Volume 1 by Various (DVD - 2003)
CDN$ 34.98 CDN$ 23.13