4.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff, but room for improvement
Published on June 27 2004 by Angela R. Gottfred

3.0 out of 5 stars overall, 1 for the packaging but 5 for the series
Will I be buying the next two - absolutely! Would I be willing to pay more for a better product - absolutely! Will I let other FK fans know about the DVDs - already have, with cautions.
Published on Nov. 11 2003 by Jeanne Tassotto

4.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff, but room for improvement, June 27 2004
Angela R. Gottfred "agottfre" (Calgary, Alberta Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Forever Knight the Trilogy Pa [Import] (DVD)
Forever Knight is about a vampire (Nick Knight) who wants to regain his mortality. After centuries of killing hapless victims, he is trying to repay his debt to humanity by working as a Toronto homicide detective. His circle of friends includes his former vampire lover, the beautiful Janett; his vampire "master", LaCroix (present only in flashbacks for Season 1); his garlic-loving, jovial yet perceptive detective partner, Don Schanke; Toronto coroner and confidante, Dr. Natalie Lambert; and his police Captain, Joe Stonetree. Nick must struggle against his vampire urges, much like a former addict, and he must try to keep his identity a secret from all mortals while also working at his job.
Unlike Angel or Buffy, Nick is a vampire working in a mortal world. Unlike the Buffy vampires, Nick is not a demon, but he does have some cool supernatural abilities; not only are FK vampires extremely strong and very fast, but they have very acute senses of hearing and smell, the power to hypnotise people, and to fly.
Aside from vampires and the occasional ghost, there are no supernatural creatures in this show, and most of the murders Nick investigates are committed by people. Nick doesn't do anything as dramatic as saving the world or killing monsters, a la Buffy. For Angel fans, this is a distinctly different look at the vampire-seeking-redemption story, and one that is just as good in its own way. Nick is more mature and thoughtful than Angel, in my opinion. And if you think Angel is angsty and brooding, then you clearly haven't met Nick Knight!
Let me move respond to the criticisms made about this DVD series.
1. The video quality is poor.
--I have a big-screen digital TV, and I don't have any complaints about the video quality. Perhaps some early DVD sets were below standards? It's the only explanation I can see for the huge discrepancy between what I see at home and the picture some people have complained about.
On the other hand, the audio quality is clearly superior to the audio quality off of broadcast TV. And that has brought a freshness to certain episodes. Kudos to Sony for their attention to this aspect of the DVD.
2. The episodes are the U.S. version, not the (much longer) Canadian version.
For the first season, Canadian episodes were substantially longer (by 5-6 minutes) than American episodes. On the DVDs, the first two episodes (Dark Knight parts 1 & 2) are the American episodes, and so DVD viewers are definitely missing out on some Canadian version goodies. However, all the remaining episodes on the DVD set are the longer Canadian ones.
3. There are no goodies on this set.
Too true! In fact, the DVDs don't even have a scene selection menu to find scenes within an episode, although you are allowed to at least select an episode... Let's hope we see more on the Season 2 discs.
In short, I think this is a thoroughly enjoyable show, with good picture quality and enhanced sound. The DVDs have all of the first season (except for about five minutes of Dark Knight), but nothing else. Is it worth it to buy the series at the listed price? Well, it hurt my pocketbook a bit at first, but now that the pain has gone, I still have the pleasure of being able to watch this great show whenever I like. And I can't wait for Season 2!

5.0 out of 5 stars 95% Canadian eps!, Aug. 9 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Forever Knight the Trilogy Pa [Import] (DVD)
The first point that should be made is that these are the Canadian episodes except for Dark Knight (the two-parter first ep). Each one runs about 46 minutes. I have to agree with a previous reviewer about the bonuses of this show: They've created their own vampire myth which doesn't require a lot of f/x. They live among humans (depending on who we're talking about, of course), their change from their human form to their vampire form is never shown (it's done through cuts), and the hokey flying scenes in the first eps all make this a great show. And the fact that they didn't try to disquise Toronto as another city is a bonus. Great acting by the regulars, and I still get a chuckle when I see Nigel Bennett sucking someone's blood and then think of him and his "But it's not oatmeal!" commercials. Great stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent first season for an awesome show, March 5 2004
Tom Benton (North Springfield, VT USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Forever Knight the Trilogy Pa [Import] (DVD)
"Forever Knight" is a cult classic. Who would've thought that that relatively unsuccessful TV series would end up with as enormous a fan base as it has today? But it did, and now, with FOREVER KNIGHT: THE TRILOGY - PART 1, you can see it all began.
In this set all 22 episodes of the show's first season are compiled. (Note: There were three versions of each episode: the 40 minute American, the 45 minute Canadian, and the European version, which contained nudity. As an added bonus, the Canadian versions of each episode except the first are shown in this set) The show kicked off with the terrific two-part premiere, "Dark Knight" and "Dark Knight: The Second Chapter". Then it moves on to less important episodes, with such interesting episodes as "Dying to Know You", "Cherry Blossoms", "Hunters" and "Dying for Fame". The first season finished with the grabbing finale, "Love You to Death".
This set will no doubt please those who lust simply for the joy of FOREVER KNIGHT on DVD, but those die-hard fans that expected a joy-filled DVD set may be disappointed. The picture quality looks relatively un-tampered with, the menus are weak, and there is zip for special features (except for a few trailers). Overall, a must for true fans - "Forever Knight" has definitely left its mark on the vampire cult.
- Adam Pierson

5.0 out of 5 stars EEEEEE!!!!!, Aug. 14 2003
This review is from: Forever Knight the Trilogy Pa [Import] (DVD)
THEY FINALLY CAME OUT WITH THE DVD!!!! Forever Knight has been my overriding obession for close to 6 years, and for good reason. Fantastic, complex charecters, meaningful storylines, passion, friendship, mystery, relationships, frustration and hate, faith and hope, it's all there.
Forever Knight explores what it truely means to be human from the point of veiw of Nick Knight, an 800 year old vampire who wants to be human again. In an attempt to atone for his past sins, he now works as a homicide detective, trying to bring the real monsters to justice while preserving his secret and protecting his friends. But the road to mortality isn't easy-- old habits die hard and this habit is way up there. Memories of times gone, friends lost and evils seen and commited haunt him every step of the way, and his vampire 'family' fights to keep him as he is. But rooting for his better side are his best friends, Dr. Natalie Lambert (they're 'just friends'. yeah, right), who's trying to help him using medical science, and his partners, first Don Schanke, then Tracy Vetter, who, though they don't know he's a vampire, help him feel like a part of the human race.
The series is by turns dramatic and humorous, maddening and touching. It will rip your heart out in the end, but you'll be glad you were there for the ride.

4.0 out of 5 stars Man, that was about time!!!!, Aug. 14 2003
This review is from: Forever Knight the Trilogy Pa [Import] (DVD)
Ok, as the box set is not out yet, this is ,of course, not a review of the DVD.
But we have waited sooo long for Sony to release FK that it doesn't really matter.
One star deduction for not adding any bonus material regarding the series itself.
So, for all us fans I don't need to say anything further.
For all of you who haven't seen FK: Do it now!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally on DVD, but waitaminute...., Feb. 9 2004
foreverknitefan "moemcal" (Dardanelle, Arkansas USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Forever Knight the Trilogy Pa [Import] (DVD)
Okay, I LOVED this series since I saw the movie aired and pretty much followed it as much as I could. And OC I am thrilled that the first season was released on DVD. However, as a big fan of the show, I honestly think the final product deserved more "polish" for the asking price ( which is way above many DVD sets of TV series). Pretty much my complaints are as some who also posted here. I want the other two seasons released on DVD as well, and hope that Columbia/Tristar will release them with at least some extras, even if they are nothing more than still shots or the story of how the series managed to survive when many in similar situations have failed (hint hint, the fans made a LOT of noise and even pressured the studio for 4 more episodes to make the series syndication available).
One can argue about the story quality of the last season, but it was the first season that showed how good the series and the actors were.
Now then, if they can only put Adderly on DVD......

5.0 out of 5 stars "Maybe Forever Isn't That Long", Dec 27 2003
Tracy Garnett (Ludlow, Kentucky) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Forever Knight the Trilogy Pa [Import] (DVD)
I think I was a bit more fortunate than some of the other reviewers. Due to horrendous marketing, and bad advertising on the part of CBS, and the local network that acquired it, I never got a chance to see the first season of "Forever Knight." This whole box set was a special feature to me, in, and of itself. As for seasons two, and three, all I've ever known are the American edits (though I sure wouldn't argue if future volumes include apocryphal, and restored footage). I also don't mind that they left the broadcast bands in at the beginning. As a matter of fact, I like it better with them, than without. For me, this is partly a nostalgia thing, and I spent many a night seeing that attached to the hook in each episode. To be honest with you, I wouldn't care if they added the commercials in too. It's interesting to see how the world has changed. Seven years is longer than you think. So long, and so far.
The show wasn't digitally remastered for this release--on the other hand, the source prints from which the set was derrived appear to be very clear compared to other shows that I've seen (many of those early transfers of "Dark Shadows" were godawful). It's packaged with attractive conceptual art, and each DVD includes the option of watching all five episodes straight through.
To the people who are upset, I would counsel you to take heart. Columbia-Tristar wanted to experiment with this before they committed themselves in any grave, financial way. If these sell well, I would be willing to bet that Volumes 2, and 3 will have extras, and at a reasonable price.
With this one, they got "Forever Knight's" foot in the door, and I'm glad they did.

3.0 out of 5 stars overall, 1 for the packaging but 5 for the series, Nov. 11 2003
Jeanne Tassotto (Trapped in the Midwest) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Forever Knight the Trilogy Pa [Import] (DVD)
I fell in love with Forever Knight the first time I saw it on late night TV. I have been anxiously waiting for the show to come out on DVD,and pre-ordered as soon as I found that it was finally going to be released. Within the first 30 minutes my excitement was tinged with disappointment...there are missing scenes from the pilot episode, there are no extras, interviews, etc. C'mon guys why aren't all the eps at least the full Canadian version (European would be even better!) Why no extras? All the actors, producers, directors and writers are still around would getting some interviews be that difficult? Outtakes have to exist why not include them? As for the ads for other products that are being presented as extras - didn't watch and not going to watch - if it doesn't include some of the FK cast don't even bother to put it into the next two.

4.0 out of 5 stars Yes, I'm a bit of a fangirl., Nov. 6 2003
A. Trotter (New Hampshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Forever Knight the Trilogy Pa [Import] (DVD)
But don't hold that against me, OK? First, my review of the series: It's cheesy, it's awful, it's so very very early 90's. It's got a broody angelic vampire who just wants to see a sunrise again... Oh, wait, that's on TV today too.... Yes, it's that bad. And I love it. It's got humor, of the we-know-something-you don't know variety, which I happen to like. It's also got moments of grace, (small) moments of stunning acting that surprise and silence and make you thoughtful. I think it's because many were small time actors and actresses who got this one chance, and made it count for something. I'm not talking the stars of course, but the bit parts in each show. They frequently raise it above your usual junky Hollywood crap.
This show was low-budget (you can tell from the repeated filler scenes) and low on the radar of Hollywood; I'm grateful it came out on DVD at all. But that which makes it cheesy, campy and dreadful also frees it to be interesting and good, to value acting and drama (ok, so some giggles are due here, but get over it) over special effects (which quite frankly are gawd-awful).
Now, the DVD: if it's true that it's edited then I'm deeply disapointed, and somewhat hurt; but not necessarily surprised. There were no extras, at all; you get nothing but the episodes and be happy that there's even a menu to pick them from. But that's sort of to be expected. Oh, well.
The picture quality is as grainy as the TV show was. No surprises there, it was probably filmed that way. I don't mind... the sound quality wasn't bad.
I'm glad I bought it and if they do come out with another set that has the longer versions I'll get it and give this set to someone else.

1.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE!!! Edited CBS TV Rip Off---Not the full show!!!!, Oct. 28 2003
Michael Appel (Wisconsin) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Forever Knight the Trilogy Pa [Import] (DVD)
I was expecting to see the full, unedited version. Instead, I saw the edited CBS TV version, complete with crimetime after prime time logos, and cbs TV stereo emblems superimposed over the episode. Dark Knight was heavily edited, I have a more complete version that I taped off of the Sci-Fi channel. The scene where Nick arrives at the museum and walks up stairs with the cop, sees the suit of armor with the cross and knows Don is there is cut, Nick explaining to Nat about the jade cup in his apartment is gone, Nick with the curator talking about the suit of armor having the wrong bolt-can't relieve himself-cut, the curator leafing through the Alton Kanal book and photo copying Nicks photo is missing the part with Don and Nick in the hospital trying to see the records of blood donors and Nick returning to his Caddy gone, scene after scene is gone. What a let down after wanting the series to be released for so long..and we have a shorter version that what the Sci-Fi channel aired. This is like paying the pizza delivery guy, sitting down to eat your pizza, opening the box, and finding two slices missing. Well I paid for the ENTIRE Forever Knight pie, and I want my missing slices. This is a RIP-OFF!!!!! No extras included, unless you count the three commercials for different vampire movies that they want to sell you on DVD as extras. Are those movies edited versions also??????? THIS IS A RIP-OFF!!!!

Forever Knight  the Trilogy Pa [Import]
Forever Knight the Trilogy Pa [Import] by Geraint Wyn Davies (DVD - 2003)
CDN$ 21.45 CDN$ 18.49