5.0 out of 5 stars First 16 Episodes for this DVD set are.....
Season 3 -
01. Five Face of Darkness (Part 1)
02. Five Face of Darkness (Part 2)
03. Five Face of Darkness (Part 3)
04. Five Face of Darkness (Part 4)
05. Five Face of Darkness (Part 5)
06. The Killing Jar
07. Chaos
08. Dark Awakening
09. Forever is a Long Time coming
10. Starscream's Ghost
11. Thief in the Night...
Published on Sept. 22 2003 by Dan Huling

3.0 out of 5 stars The series as a whole
Published on March 22 2004 by meisterjazz

5.0 out of 5 stars First 16 Episodes for this DVD set are....., Sept. 22 2003
Dan Huling "Ziroc" (Lakeland, FL) - See all my reviews
Season 3 -
01. Five Face of Darkness (Part 1)
02. Five Face of Darkness (Part 2)
03. Five Face of Darkness (Part 3)
04. Five Face of Darkness (Part 4)
05. Five Face of Darkness (Part 5)
06. The Killing Jar
13. Madman's Paradise
14. Nightmare Planet
15. Ghost in the Machine
16. Webworld
(they MAY also have another episode to this first part, and that would be:)
17. Carnage in C-Minor
21. Fight or Flee
22. The Dweller in the Depths
23. Only Human
24. Money is Everything
25. Grimlock's New Brain (One of my Favorites!)
26. Call of the Primitives
27. Face of the Nijika
28. The Burden Hardest to Bear
Now... Will Rhino add the following two ending episodes even though they have released these on VHS and DVD already? They better! They are part of season 3! :)
29. The Return of Optimus Prime (Part 1)
30. The Return of Optimus Prime (Part 2)
And Here is the 'Sometimes called' VERY short 'Season 4.
(also known as the Headmasters Series)
01 The Re-Birth (Part 1)
02 The Re-Birth (Part 2)
03 The Re-Birth (Part 3)
I wonder how they will/IF they will even release these last 3. Since these were the actual LAST episodes.. Time will tell!

4.0 out of 5 stars Out with the old..., Aug. 21 2004
This review is from: Transformers: Season 3, Part 1 (DVD)
I remember being confused by the changes when season 3 first aired back in 1986 (the movie hadn't been shown in my town yet). Then the movie came out and I was finally properly introduced to the series new characters, and found out that some old ones had snuffed it.
Indeed, the Transformers would never be the same again. And to my surprise, I got used to the new characters and setting of season 3 and it became my favorite season since.
First of all, I love the whole sci-fi space age setting of season 3 (earth was getting pretty dull). The tone is much darker and more in sync with that of the Movie.
Then there's the characters. Don't get me wrong, I liked Optimus Prime in the earlier seasons, but Rodimus Prime's uneasiness as a leader made for a more interesting, relatable character. On the other hand, Optimus Prime was basically a robot version of Papa Smurf.
Then there's Galvatron. Besides looking way cooler than Megatron, there was his madness. I found Galvatron and the whole decepticon predicament more believable than in earlier seasons. Before Season 3, the Decepticon's army always had the upper hand. They ruled Cybertron, had more energon and more firepower than the Autobots. Megatron came up with clever plans that should have succeeded, but spent 10 minutes gloating about his impending victory instead of blasting the Autobots away. Then say, Bumblebee, would come up from behind Megatron, give him a wedgee and it was retreating time. Please! At least in Season 3 the Cons army is crippled and their leader is insane. They strike out of desperation rather than with strategy, which makes there failure to retake Cybertron much more believable. Galvatron's desperation and broken psyche makes him a much more dangerous Decepticon than Megatron.
Finally, there's the Quintessons. They make interesting vilains and add some freshness the old Decepticon/Autobot conflict.
I'm only giving this box 4 stars, because the remastering on the first 5 episodes (Five Faces of Darkness) doesn't look that great (Maybe they lost the master tapes?).

4.0 out of 5 stars TF Season 3 "THE SPACEAGE", July 8 2004
This review is from: Transformers: Season 3, Part 1 (DVD)
As a child and as an adult, I remember seeing both season 1 and season 2. To be perfectly honest, I, as well as many other transformers fans was alienated from the season 3 series, due to the killings and replacements of many autobots and decepticons, don't get me wrong, this whole new spaceage era in cybertron, despite how boring that may sound, wasn't bad at all, it was good, since if there's no change in a series, it will eventually get boring anyway. I missed starscream and his naive plots against megatron, ironhide, optimus, etc, but the birth of many new robots wasn't bad at all either. The season three series, unlike the former episodes, doesn't take place on earth, it's primarily based on the planet cybertron about 25 or so years in the future. At first, i thought that they ruined the series, but if you actually see them all, you'll love it like i did in the end. The animation did not have the good quality that season 1 and 2 had though. Another thing that really annoyed me was that galvatron(which was a morphed megatron) seemed strong and powerfull in the movie, just like his former self (megatron) was, but in the series, galvatron was like a spoiled, tempered, immature little brat that simply liked to shoot at his fellow decepticons. The excuse that was used in the series was that his brain was dammaged due to the battle suffered in the movie (completely ridiculous reason to give him an uncharismatic character). Also, Rodimus Prime, the replacement for Optimus prime was immature and is an obvious reason why fans wanted an episode in this season which consisted of optimus prime being revived. Well, beside this criticism, i recommend people to buy this as a good completion for the transformers collection, it's well worth it. Till all are one!

2.0 out of 5 stars Good for completists only, May 10 2004
D. Good "dlgood" (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Transformers: Season 3, Part 1 (DVD)
I bought this just because, back when they originally aired, the cartoon was moved to a time I couldn't watch it -- so I wanted to see them.
They're not good. Good from a nostalgia standpoint, but pretty bad otherwise. I'm somewhat ok with the Quintessons as a manipulative third party, but it's tough to swallow that they didn't attack, say, right after Megatron and Optimus and everyone else left because the planet was dry of energy.
Carnage in C Minor? Yegods -- Cop Rock. . . in a cartoon. . . with robots. . .
The animation is almost laughably bad and stilted in parts, and they clearly cut corners with stuff like cutting episodes to 20 minutes and adding recycled "primer" shorts. Lots of goofs, too -- combiners alongside their components, incorrect coloring, etc. It makes the animation in the second season look like Disney masterpieces.
The plotlines are gimmicky. Galvatron is one-note. One saving grace is Cyclonus, who has a great voice and carries himself as the dignified warrior. The idea that Rodimus is still learning the ropes is a decent enough premise, but they wrote him with zero charisma or natural leadership qualities.
Great for a single viewing for a hardcore Transfan, but I'll be selling mine used, I doubt I'll rewatch them.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what I remembered..., April 13 2004
M. Bruneau "Martin Bruneau" (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Transformers: Season 3, Part 1 (DVD)
Maybe my brain as a child was playing tricks on me at that time, The Transformers seemed so well produced: the animation, the drawings, the details... Granted, I am now (27 years old) and more interested in the visual aspect of animation movies, but still, I got surprised as I watched with horror the butchered characters of Galvatron, Rodimus, or any characters in the series for that matter. The Transformers Movie obviously misled me, since I saw it before re-viewing the series just now. Oh well, I will definetly trade the box sets for THE movie. Now, this is a review of the two last box sets, season 3 and 4. Can anyone tell me if the first box sets are anything near the last ones, animation wise, of course? Thanks.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rhino finally got it right, March 26 2004
This review is from: Transformers: Season 3, Part 1 (DVD)
I won't say this has no errors in the remastering, Rhino did screw up with some of the openings to "Five Faces of Darkness" the original broadcast masters all had the alternative opening and not mixed the way it is on the DVD. But overall can't complain, they finally gave us the option of listening to the original audio instead of the terrible remixed versions with so-called enhanced sound.
From a retro point of view watching the newly remastered video and being able to hear the sound the way it was I can't complain...too bad they waited so long to do this as Season 1 & 2 were pretty messed up audio wise.
I recommend this over Season 1 & 2 as it contains less errors and features the original braodcast audio soundtrack w/o those awful added in sound effects, bad mixing etc.

3.0 out of 5 stars The series as a whole, March 22 2004
meisterjazz "Megatron" (Denver, Co. United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Transformers: Season 3, Part 1 (DVD)
Personally I was disapointed that season 4 was so short. Japans was longer. Yet in the interview you see there were origonally 5 episodes instead of three. This show was really great, while being made for kids it had an apeal to adults. But, The movie came out and everything changed. These were not your fathers transformers. There were things I liked and dislliked about the series after the movie. I loved the new charecters. Galvatron had a serious tone to him. But if megatron was so indestructable in the show why was he so easily beaten? It was too bad the writers never followed the stories on the toys they were promoting. That was my major problem story comntinuity. One minute they were built by Alpha trion, the next some giant computer gave them life, then the quints were responsible. They should have stuck with one and let it ride. Now I will recomend you start reading the new books and rthe comic series by dreamwave. It is wonderfully done, and unlike this Armada and Energon crud It brings the series to where it should be with the originals and not some wannabes who share the same name. God what I wouldn't do to write and produce a new cartooon with the G1 Transformers the way they should be

4.0 out of 5 stars season 3 part 1 review, March 11 2004
Season 3, Season 3
I have just finished watching season 3. I really love it. It's a shame that it's criticized for being original, taking chances, being epic and having continuity.
I think it's great having explanations of where the transformers come from and devlving into their history and their past. The quintessons are really cool and have an interesting spin on the series having another race of bad guys that created the transformers.
Season 3 is darker, more serious and more sci fi. Rodimus Prime is very entertaining. He may not be as likable as Optimus but his "I don't care" "let's just do it" attitude is entertaining. Galvatron is in my opinion the greatest bad guy of all time. I mean common, a complete lunatic who shoots his own teammates. He makes me crack up. This seasons really took a risk and even having galvatron in an episode for himself with no autobots was intriguing.
The concepts are really cool. "Carnage in C-minor" is a concept I have never seen done before. "Webworld" "the galvatron episode" where they try to fix Galvatron (tell me cyclonus isn't mad cool)
is a planet that is a computer and the creatures are living extensions of the planet. Whatever happened to the other runaway autobots from cybertron? We find out in "Fight or Flee". Starscream returning as a ghost is more entertaining than ever for his character and being able to posess others? That is just great.
The "Chaos" episode which is my personal favorite lineup of characters for an episode. I've always loved Kup. He is very entertaining and likable. This episode has it all. Story, concept, and fun characters (oh and action with Predaking!). We get into Kup's past and even have grimlock around who is so much fun. Sky lynx, blurr, and wheelie come along for the ride.
Grimlock is more fun in season 3 than ever before (madman's paradise is a Grimlock episode). In "Madman's Paradise" they go to another dimension that resembles "lord of the rings". How cool is that? A rejected qunitesson has the power to shapeshift into a wizard. And the trees turn into centaur creatures.
It's also always a pleasure to have A3 or alpha trion the father of the autobots and the braveheart of the cybertronian wars show up. Time travel concepts abound in "Forever is a long time coming" (growing younger? how cool is that?)
Going into a black hole is an interesting premise for "the Killing Jar" where a Quintesson sees autobots, decepticons and humans as toys to experiment and study. What happens when you go into a black hole? And how would you get out? I love sci fi.
Maybe I'm biased but I think the new Decepticons are really cool.
Galvatron, Cyclonus and Scourge are really cool on their burned up planet of Char. It's cool seeing the storyline go in a direction you never would have guessed it would go. Who wants the same old same old? New autobots like Kup,blurr and Sky Lynx are great.
Rodimus is a very original character. It's like having Darth Maul, you can't expect him to live up to Darth Vader; you just have to appreciate him for what he is. This new direction in storyline is entertaining. Optimus has the passion, the respect, the regalness.(and bringing him back as a zombie was quite creepy and cool in Dark awakening). Rodimus is different, matter of fact, does what needs to get done and that's it.(in season 3 part 2 he begins complaining that he's not as good as Optimus which is original. It's interesting seeing a leader who has to fill these big shoes and have doubts.)
By the way Dark Awakening orginally did have a different ending.
It later on became the precursor to "The return of Optimus Prime" but originally was not. It's confusing because Rhino has the altered ending, yet placed in the original air date order.
All in all I recommend this season. I wish there was more of it. Oh yeah part 2 is coming out.
The quality of the art in the episodes seems to fluctuate. (I'm not talking about how cool the action is but the actual art). I really like the art in "Chaos" and tolerate in the "Five Faces of Darkness". Each episode and sometimes within an episode the art quality has a range. "Killing Jar" and "Madman's Paradise" are pretty good. Webworld is great and Fight or flee parts are good. The rest are okay or tolerable, if I remember correctly (maybe I missed other good ones it's tough to keep it straight).
I love the original audio. Cooler and weirder sound effects than tsuit sci fi. More varity in sounds than the updated version and you can still hear the characters talk when you have them. (Plus the nostalgia factor kicking in).
I would have liked an interview but I content with the package.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great set as always - but mixed up?, Feb. 24 2004
This review is from: Transformers: Season 3, Part 1 (DVD)
As I was watching this and recently finished it, I noticed a LOT of the episodes were out of order. Like the one where the Quintisons brought back Optimus Prime, and the narrator says at the end "Find out in the next Episode - The Return of Optimus Prime!" - whiche if you look, will be on the Season 3 Pt. 2/Season 4 DVD set. Which is really messed up.
That is the only reason I gave it 3 stars instead of 5. They mixed alot of episodes up.

1.0 out of 5 stars Transformers Season 3, Feb. 8 2004
This review is from: Transformers: Season 3, Part 1 (DVD)
While this is a great set it could be better. Some of the sets seem to have an episode listed but that is not really there. This is very stupid on Rhinos part.
Also for those looking for interviews of Peter Cullen and Chris Latta in later releases it should be pointed out that Chris Latta died a few years back.

ARRAY(0xacb8e9b4)

Transformers: Season 3, Part 1
Transformers: Season 3, Part 1 by Ray Lee (DVD - 2003)
CDN$ 103.19