5.0 out of 5 stars no reindeer were harmed during the making of this two CD set
Now That's What I Call Christmas! gives us a great, extensive mixture of Christmas time songs both new and traditional on a two CD set. The quality of the sound is excellent and we get five star performances all the way!

Published on Nov. 10 2007 by Matthew G. Sherwin

3.0 out of 5 stars Its an ok cd
Some of the songs are wonderful but I could do without Destiny's Child and B2K doing their renditions of some old classics. Good thing there is a fast forward button on the cd player. I LOVE the classic songs sung by Andy Williams, Johnny Mathis, Andy Williams, etc. It does have a good variety of music.
Published on Dec 19 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars no reindeer were harmed during the making of this two CD set, Nov. 10 2007
Matthew G. Sherwin (last seen screaming at Amazon customer service) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Now That's What I Call Christmas!, Vol. 2: The Signature Collection (Audio CD)

CD number 1 is subtitled "Now, And Forever." Destiny's Child does a great job on "Opera Of The Bells." They harmonize to perfection and they never miss a beat! Kylie Minogue gives a smashing rendition of the classic "Santa Baby;" the musical arrangement gets strength from percussion and Kylie sings this like the pro that she is! You're bound to like Kylie singing "Santa Baby;" and the backup male vocalists bolster Kylie's performance. Good brass, too! Listen also for B2K doing their awesome rendition of "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town." The rap beat works well up against the traditional lyrics and the majority of the arrangement which is rather traditional. Awesome!

Elton John's "Step Into Christmas" is sure to please; and Mariah Carey's "All I Want For Christmas Is You" features Mariah singing passionately. I predict that you'll like "All I Want For Christmas Is You" very, very much.

We also get Wham! Performing "Last Christmas;" and Norah Jones does a somewhat jazzy number called "Peace" that I really like a lot. "Peace" also has a great piano arrangement, too.

The second CD is subtitled "Then And Always;" this CD features more traditional renditions of classic Christmas tunes sung mostly by artists who were famous in the past. Listen for the immortal Louis Armstrong singing his best on "Winter Wonderland;" and Barbra Streisand's delivery of "I'll be Home For Christmas lacks nothing--it's THAT good.

Johnny Mathis sings "Silver Bells" to perfection with, of course, bells in the background; and Chuck Berry's "Run Rudolph Run" is thrown in for a little bit of rock and roll shock effect! Cool! SMILE

We also get José Feliciano performing "Feliz Navidad" which was extremely popular when it first came out in the early `80s ( and it still remains well liked today); and Burl Ives sings the classic "Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer" really, really, well. The backup chorus harmonizes well and the percussion works well for this number, too. In addition, listen for Andy Griffith singing "Go Tell It On The Mountain" with a strong country twist--very creative.

Pavarotti sings "Adeste Fidelis" with The National Philharmonic Orchestra & The London Voices; and Barry Manilow does "(There's No Place Like) Home For The Holidays." The second CD ends strong with Guy Lombardo's "Auld Lang Syne."

The liner notes have great artwork and we get the credits for each song on this two CD set.

Overall, this two CD set really gives you quite a lot for your money. I highly recommend this two CD set for people everywhere who enjoy "high quality control" Christmas music.

4.0 out of 5 stars good CD, bad packaging, Nov. 27 2010
You would think they could make the case so that the CDs don`t fall out when you open the case

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Christmas CD!, Dec 27 2003
My friend gave me this CD for Christmas and I haven't stopped listening to it since!
Some Highlights include:
"Feliz Navidad," Jose Feliciano
"Kentucky Homemade Christmas," Kenny Rogers
"Go Tell It on the Mountain," Andy Griffith
"Auld Lang Syne," Guy Lombardo
There's a few skippable tracks, such as Nsync and Barbara Streisand, but overall it's a great addition to your Christmas CD collection!

2.0 out of 5 stars It's either Been There Done That or Never Wanted to Do That!, Dec 27 2003
Bryan F. Irrera (Vineland, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
We had this CD on in our store during the holiday shopping season this year...unfortunately. Either the stuff on here could be found elsewhere and plenty of elsewheres (ie. "Christmas Wrapping" by the Waitresses, though that's one of the few HIGH points on this disc), many of the songs on this disc are headache enducing. Why, oh why, did anyone let the version of "Baby, It's Cold Outside" by Tom Jones and some chick whose name I never bothered to learn out of the studio? It's horrible. We would race to the CD player to skip that one and plenty of others.

3.0 out of 5 stars Its an ok cd, Dec 19 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars Another great collection of Holiday hits., Dec 16 2003
By A Customer
This is another great release of Christmas music by the Now! producers. I assume they had no original plans to release a second volume of "Now That's What I Call Christmas!", or didn't expect the phenomenal success they got with the first, because a lot of songs on each collection could have been omitted and/or combined to make THE definitive Christmas collection, without the filler.
The one song that is absolutely horrendous and almost single-handedly drags the album's rating all the way down to three stars, is B2K's "Santa Claus is Coming to Town". Matter of fact, I couldn't even finish listening to that track after about 6 "yo's", "hey's", "wassup's" and the like right at the beginning. Nothing against their style of music, I just personally wouldn't regularly listen to it, and it is certainly not Christmas-friendly in this case. If these guys just had to be used, like another reviewer said, it should have been at a point on the disc where you could skip past it. At the very least, they should have done an original instead of mangling a classic. I doubt they're that talented to come up with something new in terms of holiday music, though. Evidently, the Jackson 5 version, although beyond superior, wouldn't have been "appropriate" with the controversies currently surrounding Michael in the news. Manhattan Transfer does a great rendition that they could have gone with here and Bruce Springsteen has a stellar version available on the first volume also that could have been used again if necessary.
Notable omissions this time around include versions of "O Holy Night" by Josh Groban and/or John Berry, which could have replaced the Celine Dion version used, "Hey Santa!" by Carnie and Wendy Wilson along with "Jingle Bell Rock" by Hall and Oates, and Gayla Peevey's "Hippopotamus Song". Maybe for Volume 3!
Highlights: The classics such as "Step into Christmas" by Elton John, "Rudolph..." by Burl Ives, and tracks by Christmas mainstays like Andy Williams and Johnny Mathis speak for themselves, of course, and Kylie Minogue does such a brilliant rework of "Santa Baby", you barely think it's a remake. Nothing beats the original, but this is one "sequel" that comes close. Happy Holidays!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, Solid, CD, Dec 10 2003
J. W. Guinn (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
Well, I'm not going to be like the Whitney Houston fan who really has not heard the album, just putting it down so Whitney's may sell better and crack the top 50 of Billboard.
This cd is a good collection of holiday hits, but two stars are knocked down for the horrendous rendition of Baby, It's Cold Outside. These guys really should have used Jane Monheit and Steve Tyrell's version which is far superior!

2.0 out of 5 stars Now That's What I Call Christmas! The Signature Collection, Dec 3 2003
By A Customer
I purchase this cd, and I have to say its okay. I also purchase Whitney Houston's Christmas album "One Wish". Oh my god, Whitney Houston holiday album will simply blow you away. The way she put all her heart, and soul into every song on her christmas album is beautiful. I'm so happy I purchase Whitney's "One Wish". I would have been so lost without it. It's the perfect christmas music for season. I recommend Whitney's "One Wish" if you wanna hear good Christmas songs. Nobody can do it like her, we all remember how she sung "I Will Always Love You" don't you? Can't go wrong with Whitney!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, Nov. 30 2003
By A Customer
i luv most of e songs there.... a good mix of new stars n older ones.... destiny's child's opera of e bells was fantastic...(u shd get their xmas album too!)... celine dion's o holy night was also good... luv her voice.... but where was christina aguilera???.... she had a superb xmas album but y wasnt she on tis album??? she truly deserved a spot on tis album... apart from tat...'Now That's What I Call Christmas! 2: The Signature Collection' is juz simply wonderful.... u shd geddit!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars overall good, but who picked the tracks, Nov. 25 2003
angelita (Philadelphia) - See all my reviews
The cds are overall a great compilation but the organization needs some work. What is B2K doing on a cd with Mariah Carey and Luther Vandross? Aside from B2K not having anything to do with Christmas, their track is completely out of tune and if it had to be placed on the cd to be "politcally correct" why not make it the first or last track so it can easily be skipped? The Kenny Rogers track on CD 2 is a little questionable as well. These two songs are right in the middle but don't really fit in.

ARRAY(0xb43c7360)

Now That's What I Call Christmas!, Vol. 2: The Signature Collection
Now That's What I Call Christmas!, Vol. 2: The Signature Collection by Now That's What I Call Christmas (Audio CD - 2003)