5.0 out of 5 stars CAN'T WAIT FOR THE DVD
I saw this lovely film on HBO, and it's to their immense credit that this film was seen at all. This film would never be released by a major studio these days. They are only concerned with huge blockbuster movies, yet anyone who cares about a strong, emotional story, set in gorgeous Umbria and starring Maggie Smith shouldn't miss this gem.
Maggie Smith stars as an...
Published on Nov. 10 2003

2.0 out of 5 stars My House in Umbria
If it weren't for Maggie Smith's name at the top of the credits I wouldn't have bought this movie, and if it weren't for Maggie Smith's performance I would not have persevered to the end of it. Unless you simply must see every Maggie Smith movie ever made, I would not waste my time on this one.
Published 19 months ago by Jane Abramowitz

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars CAN'T WAIT FOR THE DVD, Nov. 10 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: My House in Umbria (Bilingual) (DVD)
Maggie Smith stars as an aging romance novelist living in splendid isolation in her villa in the Umbrian countryside. On a shopping trip, the train she's traveling on is bombed by terrorists. When the dust is settled, Smith, and several of the travelers who shared her compartment, are in the hospital, including a little girl who has lost her parents. Smith generously offers her home as a refuge for the survivors to recuperate.
The traumatized little girl can't speak. Smith's heart goes out to her, and she does her best to make her as comfortable as possible. Smith's rather bohemian character, as well as her fondness for cocktails makes her a slightly madcap, tipsy hostess. Rather lonely of late, this unexpected intrusion in her life makes her feel needed. There's a young man with a secret to hide, and an older pensioner who round out the group. Then the little girl's uptight uncle (played with unstated eloquence by Chris Cooper) comes to take custody of his brother's orphaned daughter.
Smith is devasted by his coldness, his disapproval, and senses that he simply is taking the girl out of a sense of duty to his brother.
I won't give anymore of the plot away. Dame Maggie won a well-deserved Emmy for her superb portrayal of a middle-aged spinster, lonely for love, and with her own tragic past, who finds a purpose in her life in the aftermath of tragedy. The script is superb, the Italian settings and the gorgeous period costumes as well as fine work from a strong cast, make this a memorble viewing experience.
Nobody captures loneliness as truthfully as Dame Maggie. She's been doing it throughout her long career, as Rod Taylor's assistant in the bloated VIPs, as the headstrong teacher in THE PRME OF MISS JEAN BRODIE, as the actress nominated for an Oscar in CALIFORNIA SUITE, and countless other memorable screen portraits. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Touching!, May 3 2004
S. Prince "unilover36" (Varnell, Georgia United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My House in Umbria (Bilingual) (DVD)
I am a great Maggie Smith fan, so when I found this movie, I had to see it. I must say, in my opinion I would classify it as an "Artsy-Fartsy" movie... but in spite of that, I LOVED IT. To a certain degree, I think everyone can identify with a life full of pains and sorrows, and still being able to help out others when they are in need. This is the description of true humanity... to see past your own pains, and lend a hand to someone else. The only thing in my opinion that makes this unsuitable for pre-teens, other than excessive alcohol consumption to mask emotional pain, is that there is a quick flash of Mrs Delahuntys upper torso, at one point.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very touching, June 10 2004
This review is from: My House in Umbria (Bilingual) (DVD)
This movie is very touching. It may not be the most surprising or action packed of movies, but it can touch you if you let it. So many people, all touched by the same tragedy, having to come together, and share and learn and grow together. I think you'll enjoy it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice story, Great Italian Scenery, Dec 10 2011
caseygirl (Vancouver Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: My House in Umbria (Bilingual) (DVD)
I liked this movie. It is a nice story with some interesting characters with Maggie Smith upholding the entire film. She is always superb and she doesn't disappoint here. The scenery is fabulous and gets you dreaming of fabulous Italian vistas and villas. The ending is somewhat predictable but heartwarming. If you like period drama with a nice story, no sex or bad language, or violence, then you would like this. If you like cut em up, eat em up type movies this is not for you. You would find it dull.

5.0 out of 5 stars HBO classic, Nov. 23 2003
S. Scott (LUBBOCK, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My House in Umbria (Bilingual) (DVD)
If you are a fan of Maggie Smith then you must not miss this special film. This Beautiful Heartfelt story was a welcome switch for me in contrast to all the violence on HBO as of late. An easy-going movie with beautiful scenery will be a nice addition to your collection.

2.0 out of 5 stars My House in Umbria, Dec 30 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars My House in Umbria, Dec 16 2012
This review is from: My House in Umbria (Bilingual) (DVD)
If you enjoy a love story adventure and beautiful scenery; then this is the movie for you!; Great family values.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful sweet adventure, March 2 2014
This review is from: My House in Umbria (Bilingual) (DVD)
If you love Downton Abbey you will adore Maggie Smith in this film. Quirky, sad, and funny. A throughly enjoyable time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good entertainment, Feb. 26 2014
This review is from: My House in Umbria (Bilingual) (DVD)
Unusual and interesting story line.
As usual Maggie Smith shone as the star she is.
We have become big fans of this wonderful actres.

4.0 out of 5 stars My House in Umbria, Feb. 2 2014
This review is from: My House in Umbria (Bilingual) (DVD)
I have always enjoyed both Maggie Smith & Ronnie Barker ( even in serious roles) & picked the movie because of them, Enjoyed the story & the acting.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

My House in Umbria (Bilingual)
My House in Umbria (Bilingual) by Richard Loncraine (DVD - 2005)
CDN$ 9.95 CDN$ 6.60