5.0 out of 5 stars Irresistably High-Energy
I'd enjoyed the movie (it's even better the second time around), but I'd been so focused on the visuals that I hadn't given much thought to the music. So when I picked up this CD, it was mostly out of curiosity.
Published on Oct. 28 2003 by rkwong

3.0 out of 5 stars The Song The Presidente Requests
I'm looking for the song the President requests, when El asks him if he has a favorite song at the dinner. I've tried to catch it in the movie, La ma something, but no luck. If anyone knows the title it would be appreciated.
Published on March 26 2004

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Irresistably High-Energy, Oct. 28 2003
Imagine my surprise to find that after nearly two weeks I still haven't taken it out of my player. This is one of those rare CDs where I wouldn't dream of skipping a track. The faster-paced pieces are mixed well with the slower-paced ones and snippets of movie dialogue, resulting in the CD being wonderfully high-energy and cohesive from start to finish. There are some fantastic tracks here, with my favorites being "Malaguena," "Pistolero," and "Sands Theme."
Another surprise: As I said I hadn't thought much about the music while watching the movie, but upon listening to the CD I found scenes and images coming right back. It's not just the soundbytes; who can listen to "Pistolero" without picturing that insane high-speed motorbike/car chase?

4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet Music, Sept. 15 2003
Ashley (Midland, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
This soundtrack went very well with the film. The guitar was awesome to say the least. Some of the better songs are, "Siente Mi Amor", "Cuka Rocka", and "Malaguena". Of course there is also the infamous, "Sands' Theme" which was both written and produced by Johnny Depp himself! The only thing lacking from this cd is the fact that no lyrics were included. And, one of the coolest things about this soundtrack, is that they have actual sound clips from the movie on the ends of certain songs. An example would be Depp's line of, "Are you a Mexi-can or a Mexi-can't?" There are three Depp quotes, two Antonio quotes, and one Cheech quote. All in all, I recommend this cd to fans of Latino music as well as fans of soundtracks. The music in the "El Mariachi" movies is inspiring.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stellar Rodriguez, Oct. 15 2003
Hassan Galadari (Boston, MA USA) - See all my reviews
I just loved the movie when it first came out and the music that was showcased in it just added a tinge of flavor and spice. The mystical approach of the spanish guitar, you just feel yourself lost throughout the story. The surprise? It was all put on by Robert Rodrigues himself.
The CD has very much common ground with the Desperado soundtrack, but where the other had a sung by the actor, Antonio Banderas, this one has a wonderful track by Salma Hayek. Rodrguez brings in an eclectic number of musicians that add to the album's diversity. And added plus, of course, is excerpts from the movie before the start of each musical piece
In all, this is a wonderful CD to put on and drift away. The guitars will take you away to that sandy village in Mexico. Just hope yoy're lucky enough and Salma visits you in that day dream.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nicely done but...., Sept. 20 2003
SnowCrash7 (Columbus, OH United States) - See all my reviews
This soundtrack is nicely put together and an excellent complement to the film. It is not quite as eclectic as the Desperado soundtrack. Tito Larriva, who fronted the fantastic group Tito and Tarantula, the house band in 'Dusk Until Dawn', makes an appearance. Salma Hayek does a very nice job with Siente Mi Amour and Brian Setzer contributes a sizzling version of Malaguena. The highlight of the soundtrack for me is the wonderful Traeme Paz as performed by the incredible Patricia Vonne. Vonne was a smash hit at the last huge South by Southwest music bash in Austin and her haunting rendition is nothing short of fantastic. All in all the soundtrack is very nicely done. But I would have liked a bit more of talents like Tito and Patricia Vonne and a bit less generic background music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Austin represented well., Dec 19 2003
Amazon Customer (Austin, TX United States) - See all my reviews
I have to admit, I got this because of the work Del Castillo has on it. Mark and Rick Del Castillo are two of the best guitarists out there right now, and I've been following Del Castillo's music from day one.
This album listens well, has a good flow. I think it's better than the Desperado soundtrack, myself, though I could do without the Selma Hayak tune.
All in all, a damn fine collection from a very innovative guy. Robert Rodriguez deserves a lot of credit for putting together such a strong soundtrack. Soundtracks as a genre are typically tacked together, typically an afterthought. You can tell he worked like mad getting this album (and his other soundtracks) put together. Very well done.

5.0 out of 5 stars re: the song the president requested..., April 23 2004
...is called malaguena which happens to be a traditional mariachi song. there are thousands of renditions of this song played by various artists with cds available for purchase. in fact, in once upon a time in mexico, malaguena was played differently at least two times that i can remember by banderas (once in the beginning and second time when the president requested it). however, the melody is still fundamentally the same. if you are a guitar enthusiast such as myself, i would suggest that you find the melody (readily available on internet search) and learn to play it. it is really not that hard to learn...

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Soundtrack, Jan. 29 2004
By A Customer
This has some great songs on it, although it got 4 stars because it's missing a track that I wanted. The one where Antonio Banderas is trying out the new guitar near the beginning of the movie.
I checked at the end of the credits of the movie and there's a track written and performed by Antonio Banderas. It's called "y me dejastes tirado in la elle". Can someone confirm or deny that this is the song in the previously mentioned part of the movie?
Even without this song it's a great soundtrack. If you liked the songs in the movie you'll love this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastico!, Feb. 1 2004
L. Jones "History Fan in LV" (United States) - See all my reviews
"Once upon a Time in Mexico" has everything an audiophiliac would want -- a variety of musical nuances, tunes that evoke colorful imagery of the movie (strange but entertaining), sultry moods and heart-racing rhythms. Robert Rodriguez & Co. have done an admirable job of putting this exciting album together. My favorite: habanero-hot "Pistolero." Don't get behind the wheel with this track on! In his notes, Rodriguez said it was a lot of fun putting the album together. Listen to it, and you'll believe.

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect soundtrack, Sept. 15 2003
This soundtrack melds perfectly with Rodriguez's goofy action epic. The film has a similar rock beat to Desperado, mixed with RR's epic score. Several tracks standout (most notably Juno Reactor's sublime "Pistolero) but overall the entire soundtrack is fantastic. Depp's theme that he wrote for his classic character Sands is also very original and fantastic. I highly recomend this to any fans of the film, or just good music in general.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous music for a fabulous movie, Feb. 10 2004
I went to see this movie in theaters the day it was released and fell in love with it instantly! After seeing it I was intrigued about the music in the film; I liked every bit that I heard. I just recently got this CD and simply can not stop listening to it! The music is bursting with passion, intensity, and excitement...I recommend it highly.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Once Upon a Time in Mexico
Once Upon a Time in Mexico by Once Upon a Time in Mexico (Audio CD - 2008)