Auto Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG boutiques-francophones Tools

Format: DVDChange

Showing 1-2 of 2 reviews(4 star).Show all reviews
on March 12, 2004
I have not seen this dvd (yet), but I saw this production live last September. I am surprised that the reviews for this performance are so negative. The singing was quite good at the performance I attended. Eaglen's Liebestod was just beautiful - her tone quality was very sweet and I thought her interpretation was very like my recording of Margaret Price. King Mark's monologue was also an outstanding performance. The staging of this production is what really stood out to me. The sets are minimalist but really stunning; like Wagner's music, they focus on the internal drama of the characters more than the external plot. Throughout there is a pillar upstage, obviously representing the obstacles the lovers face, that sinks completely into the stage at key points. At the beginning of the third act, Tristan is lying on a blanket that very slowly slides downstage. That sounds silly, but it is very effective. Later, small objects representing parts of Tristan's past appear upstage. The lighting is also beautiful. In a production of this magnitude, one has to expect that there will be good points and bad points, so relax, everyone, and find things to enjoy! I'm looking forward to adding this dvd to my collection of Tristan performances.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 23, 2004
I had the pleasure of seeing this production live this season (2003-04, revival), and it was devine. While I don't know how the DVD turned out, I can tell you that the production is both visually appealing (the red when they drink the potion almost made me faint with eccstacy) and wonderful sounding. The tenor sounded a little weak in the third act (perhaps because he's dying?) but that may have just been that performance. I will certainly be buying this soon.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse