5.0 out of 5 stars Lost In Space, a Timeless Classic
Published on June 26 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars "Oh,the pain....the pain..."
I've been waiting a long time for this release on dvd.I LOVE this show and have watched it since I was very young. The other reviewers,here, have given excellent reviews for "Lost In Space" discussing what fun the series was (is)and I agree with them.The biggest appeal that the series has for me is the sense of unity within the Robinson family and the love and...
Published on Jan. 17 2004 by a reviewer

5.0 out of 5 stars Lost In Space, a Timeless Classic, June 26 2004
This review is from: Lost in Space: Complete 1st season (DVD)
The Lost In Space DVD collection would be great for science fiction buffs out there. I love science fiction, and I was not even close to being born when this show was out, but thought I would give this a whirl. In each and every episode, the Robinson family, and the coniving, cold, selfish, yet, some how lovable Dr. Smith get in to adventure after adventure with various different life forms. The show bases its plot around the dear Robinson's being launched into space as the first family to live in space and loose their course and get stranded. Before launch, however, ornrey Dr. Smith gets caught on the ship and travels with them. Through each and every episode, they keep you engrossed in what will happen and really make you want to keep watching the next episode after also. There are also various other characters in the show, of course the fabulous robot, who in each episode, keeps getting more and more personality. I would definitley say, this is very entertaining, and very funny! I would recommend this to any one and can't wait until they come out with the second season. Only one question, why don't they ever show this on re-runs? Before this came out, I never heard of it and that is rather sad. I believe this is one of the best shows of all time!

5.0 out of 5 stars Warning! Warning! Hokey fun approaching, Feb. 5 2005
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Lost in Space: Complete 1st season (DVD)
This series [TV-Series 1965-1968] is formulated on the old serial cliff-hangers. The stages are cardboard and Styrofoam. The props look like anything lying around in the ware house. From the dialog you would not realize that the actors can and are acting. As the programs progress the stories get weirder to holds your attention. There are also several notable guests including Robbie the Robot that always outsmarts "The Robot" (Bob May) The Robot's voice is Dick Tufeld.

We all know the basic story of a saboteur Dr. Zachary Smith (Jonathan Harris) is too smart for his own good and his sabotage backfires from the start throwing the spaceship into who knows where with him trapped inside. What is worse is he never learns from episode to episode. Prof. John Robinson (Guy Williams) is the good guy father that is always giving one hope of being found or getting back. Maureen Robinson (June Lockhart) is the stereotypical motherly type and is caught occasionally stopping John from beating Zackary's brains out. We have mischievous kids always wandering off to discover the new trouble. And a watered down love interest between daughter Judy (Marta Kristen) and Major Don West (Mark Goddard).

How will they survive?

What strange creature or disaster will befall them this week?

Some one may have modified the media somewhat. "Oh, the pain, the pain." However we buy what we can.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reluctant Stowaway, June 6 2004
BH "bright-half" (Audubon, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lost in Space: Complete 1st season (DVD)
I was close to 12 years old when the show came on the air. My parents subscribed to "TV Guide", so I remember being excited reading about LIS in the 1965 fall season preview issue. I remember watching that first episode, "Reluctant Stowaway" on our black and white big screen RCA TV. I was enthralled with the glowing Jupiter 2 taking off, the menacing Robot, the villainous Dr. Smith, the family in silver space suits floating in zero gravity and Prof. Robinson's space walk. As the series progressed, we were treated to a variety of alien visitors, monsters, disasters, predicaments and Dr. Smith's scheming to find a way back to Earth. LIS on DVD brings richness to the dramatic musical score and sharpness to each scene. The soundtrack is so clear on DVD that I actually can hear Bob May's feet shuffling as the Robot enters the Keeper's spaceship. My favorite episodes have been "Reluctant Stowaway", "The Magic Mirror", "Return from Outer Space" and "Follow the Leader". I love how the lead-in for the second season premier episode "Blast off into Space" follows the end of "Follow the Leader" (as the video version had also done). The transition from black and white to brilliant color is wonderful. I can't wait for the second season to be available on DVD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Making new memories from the old ..., May 28 2004
This review is from: Lost in Space: Complete 1st season (DVD)
If you were a fan of this show during your childhood like I was, then I strongly recommend purchasing this DVD set. I have so many memories watching this show in syndication after school (1st grade, mind you) and was completely captivated by the evil Dr. Smith and the 1st-season-rigid Robot. And folks mention their boyhood crushes on Penny - anyone seen Marta Kristen (aka, Judy Robinson) lately? She is such a beautiful woman who has aged marvelously! :) Errrrr, anyway...
If you're now a proud parent who grew up with this show, it's all the more reason to add it to your cherished collection of DVDs, because your kids can learn much from its underlying message of wholesome family values. It's refreshing to watch!
My 3yr old daughter really digs "the mean doctor!" And her favorite episode is where Dr. Smith is kicked off the Jupiter 2 to fend for himself (the 1st time <grin>), and the "funny bird" (as my daughter calls it) that looks like a flying sting ray howls over Dr. Smith's campsite...watching Smith cower in laughable fear always makes me chuckle and she loves to watch that strange creature fly and howl over and over again. Ah, new memories being made with my own kids!
My all-time favorite episode (which season?) is where the Robot turns into a giant, and then shrinks back to normal size with Will Robinson and Dr. Smith racing through the Robot's innards to escape. Now THAT is action at its best!!
Great job, Fox!

5.0 out of 5 stars The First Season of Lost In Space: A Real Treat, May 12 2004
Christoph J Seeley (APO, AE United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lost in Space: Complete 1st season (DVD)
I recently got the Lost In Space First Season DVD set and I'm impressed. I watched this show when I was a kid and it still holds the same imagination and wonder it did all those years ago. This show has all the essential elements: adventure, excitement, and DANGER WILL ROBINSON DANGER! The struggles the Robinson Family go through to survive make this show a great blend of Robinson Caruso, and sci-fi. The adventure starts on October 16th 1997 and never stops! The evil Doctor Zachary Smith working for a foreign power attempts to sabotage the Jupiter Mission. The ship carrying the Robinson Family and their pilot Major Don West were bound for the planet Alpha Centauri. Their mission was to colonize that planet and pave the way for more missions to help relieve the population problem on the Earth. Dr. Smith's presence on the ship and his tampering of the B-9 Environmental Control Robot caused the Jupiter 2 to sustain heavy damage and be knocked off course. The Robinson's mission became one of survival in a strange alien world as well as battling Dr. Smith who's numerous attempts to destory the Robinsons complicate matters further. This show is visually awesome, especially for the 60's. This series predates Star Trek. As a matter of fact CBS rejected the Star Trek pilot because they had Lost In Space. The character interactions were a source of strength on this show. The dialogue between Smith, West, Will and the Robot are extremely entertaining. I especially like the dialogue between Will Robinson and John Robinson. That father and son interaction was one of the reasons this show did and continues to appeal to people of all ages. I totally recommend this show!

5.0 out of 5 stars Irwin Allen's Best Series, April 17 2004
This review is from: Lost in Space: Complete 1st season (DVD)
Out of all the excellent shows Irwin Allen created, this is by far the best, a mixture of comedy and sci-fi and a brilliant show.
The show was about the American Family Robinson who set off, in 1997, to another star system. Unknown to the Robinson's, evil spy Dr Zachary Smith was on board and his shenanigans blew the Jupiter 2 spaceship off course. Then, the fun began.
The Robinsons and Smith met all manner of strange creatures and got into different situations. The show was addictive to be honest. You never knew what to expect with each episode. And who can forget Robert the Robot?
Jonathan Harris played Dr. Smith and initially he was every bit the evil one but as time passed, he became more of a harmless old buffoon as opposed to an evil spy.
This show was made in the 60's so being ridiculous was a prerequisite. Think Batman, Land Of The Giants, Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea and Star Trek and how crazy they were. This show was the same.
Whatever you do, don't bother checking out the 1998 movie version.

5.0 out of 5 stars A treat for the nostalgia buff, March 18 2004
This review is from: Lost in Space: Complete 1st season (DVD)
I'm 44 years old and was 5 years old when this series ran on TV. I can still remember the horror and fascination of space in the mid-1960s, which at the time was completely new terrain. Giant blobs, tentacled creatures, plastic ray guns, laser beams - it didn't matter what tricks the producers employed, it was all NEW STUFF as far as I was concerned. Of course, if you compare the props, effects and plots with today's sci-fi, you'd probably burst out laughing and scoff at how primitive it was back then. Then again, you don't buy this DVD set for realism, or for cutting-edge special effects or even for the acting. Neither do you buy it because it pioneered the scores of space adventures that came later, like The Invaders, Flash Gordon or Star Trek. Instead, you buy it because you want to remember how it was when you were 5 years old and you sat in your parents' living room, hunched over a black-and-white TV set, scared out of your wits, yet thrilled to bits at the harrowing adventures of the Robinsons. You buy it because maybe even at that young age, you had a crush on Penny Robinson (Angela Cartwright) and you want to try and grasp that feeling again, which at the time was also NEW STUFF to you. So this is first and foremost a trip down memory lane and it won't appeal to anyone who never watched the show as a kid. For fellow reviewers who have expressed disappointment and have said they felt let down, I ask you - what the hell did you expect?

5.0 out of 5 stars Blast from the Past, March 8 2004
This review is from: Lost in Space: Complete 1st season (DVD)
I've watched all but the last disc and now I'm wondering when Season Two will be available! Watching these episodes took me back to when I was a kid and used to watch "Lost in Space" in syndication every day after school. This was back in the early seventies, not quite ten years after "LIS" had left prime time. I remember at the time LIS always being compared unfavorably with "Star Trek." While I'm also a Trek fan, LIS is more fantasy-oriented. All right - it can be downright surreal - a flashback to the Pop Art chic of the 1960's. However, that first season - the best in my opinion - was much more a straightforward action/adventure show with a strong, FUNCTIONAL family at its core. There's even a scene where the Robinson's stop to PRAY after eluding a monster! A scene like that would NEVER exist in today's TV landscape. The Robinsons, Major West, the Robot and, of course, Dr. Smith are such endearing characters, and the cast so winning, that "Lost in Space" is elevated to classic TV. Come on FOX: bring on the colorful (and bizarre) Seasons 2 and 3!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The DVD Version is Fantastic!, Feb. 28 2004
This review is from: Lost in Space: Complete 1st season (DVD)
I won't go into details as to the names of the episodes because they've already been posted.
The quality of the DVDs are great - yes, it makes alot of the "monsters" look hokey, but that's ok! The show is nearly 40 years old, after all. One monster looks like someone threw a few Hefty bags over him and put some air in it and I swear, I can almost make out a zipper in another "monster", etc. But I still loved all of it!
The 1st season was shot in Black & White except for the last 5 mins or so of the last (29th) episode. It's kind of a shock to have watched so many episodes in B&W and then suddenly it's in color. I had always wondered about the cliff-hanger end of each episode - now I know it was that it was basically cut from the next week's episode then edited to add it to the end of the current week's show.
One thing that is interesting is the Unaired Pilot. There is no Dr Smith (Jonathan Harris) or the Robot. Instead of Dr Smith's added weight throwing the ship off course, the ship was hit by an asteroid belt and went off course.
Another difference was when they landed on the new planet, they "domesticated a few animals and set up a little farm", according to the over-air narration by Guy Williams' character, John Robinson. Otherwise, the spirit of the pilot is the same - they had to move south due to the severe weather change about to occur and they run into the huge monsters with big feet and one eye, plus tidal waves and an Earthquake. (Yes, this sounds like Irwin Allen!)
I always wondered how old the kids were and I found out while watching the unaired Pilot - Judy is 19 ("and heroically postponing a career in musical comedy to go into space" - yes, I'm quoting from the show!), Penny is 11 (with a 147 IQ and a hobby of zoology) and Will is 9 (having just graduated from a school of science, the youngest person to do so).
Also in the unaired pilot, Don actually kissed Judy - but, it was just on the hand. Penny pointed this out to her parents, who said they could hardly ask Judy to "play the field". The episode ends with John Robinson doing a voice-over, saying "We have a feeling there are wonderful adventures just ahead" and nearby 2 aliens are watching them.
It's kind of freaky to see the dates on the show - the family went into space in 1997 and were on the planet beginning in 2000. You see John Robinson's journal, (with beautiful, feminine handwriting), with dates, such as December 3, 2001. It's so strange to think we've already passed that date and are nowhere near ready to send a family into space.
At the very end of Disc 8, there is "CBS Network Preview" - a 5 minute show that CBS did for their affiliates. There are clips of the show, with narration throughout. Each actor is mentioned, along with previous roles and the role they will play on the show. At the end, the narrator talks about how 20th Century Fox is solidly behind the show and "We at CBS feel this is one show that will take off from the pack... we are sold on Lost in Space because we know it can sell for you."
There are subtitles and Spanish options too. I played around with it, choosing Spanish language with English subtitles. It was funny, especially when the Robot says, "Danger, Will Robinson, Danger!" in Spanish.
One other note that I just realized - the aired pilot indicated the Family would be in space for 5.5 years before reaching Alpha Centauri but the unaired pilot said it would be 98 years (although the Family wouldn't age due to the freezing process). Also, the name of the ship was changed to Jupiter 2.
In closing, I would definitely buy this DVD again although I wish there had been more Extras - I would have loved it if the surviving actors/actresses had done a few narrations about what it was like to film the show. Hopefully this set will sell alot of copies so another season will be issued - perhaps with participation by the stars of the show. (RIP, Guy Williams and Jonathan Harris).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV nostalgia, Feb. 16 2004
S. L. White "Medical Librarian" (Bedford, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lost in Space: Complete 1st season (DVD)
What a joy! I first watched Lost in Space as a thirteen-year-old, and later caught it in syndication when I was in high school. From today's perspective, there were several things that stood out, that would have been lost on me as a child. For pure entertainment value, watch the bickering relationship that sometime developed between Dr. John Robinson and Don West. I got a kick out of two men arguing about who's in charge. Also, Maureen Robinson certainly does not act like a 50's woman. ("We have no business landing on that planet, John!") June Lockhart's portrayal certainly is a harbinger of the women's movement. Also it amuses me to see Will get in trouble 4 times in the first 4 episodes. Well, enough quantifying, but let's not forget Jonathan Harris' extremely literate performance. He is a gem. And to hear the robot's voice, and all of his internal circuitry clicking, is to re-live a wonderful auditory memory of long ago.
As for the DVD, it looked OK on my HDTV. I am new to the format of high-definition television, but I am guessing that Fox could have done a better job. I won't complain though.
I would like to show this series to my nieces and nephews, that is, if they could pry it away from my hands.... fat chance!
Would definitely give this my highest recommendation.

Lost in Space: Complete 1st season
Lost in Space: Complete 1st season by Leo Penn (DVD - 2004)
CDN$ 113.21