5.0 out of 5 stars NO contest
Published on Nov. 18 2004 by Meghan

3.0 out of 5 stars Takes too long for the party to get started
Alicia Keys - The Diary of Alicia Keys (J, 2003)
I reviewed this album before and gave it a 3 1/2 but the more I listen to it makes me wanna knock off that half-a-star. First off, the first three tracks ("Harlem's Nocturne", "Karma", "Heartburn") are all weak. "Walk On By/If I Was Your Woman" desecrated a great Gladys Knight...
Published on April 21 2004 by E.J. Rupert

5.0 out of 5 stars NO contest, Nov. 18 2004
Meghan (Calgary, AB) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Diary Of Alicia Keys (Audio CD)
hands down to alicia keys again.. some artists are fake like britney spears.. actually i can't even rate alicia keys in the same catagory as her because britney spears could never compare to alicia keys.. not only is she beautiful but she has the true talent to back it up... have you heard her sing live?? well i haven't but you can sure as hell believe i would be first one in line to buy her tickets if she ever came to calgary.. listen to her music.. listen to her words and you'll understand why alicia keys has so much hype surrounding her.. like she said.. watch her when she's 31.. 41... and 51 she'll still be around.. this woman is so talented.. writes her own music, own lyrics.. plays the piano and sings at the same time.. unsurpassed.. if you're debating whether or not to buy her album.. you're a fool.. and don't buy it.. because if you have to debate.. you don't have enough love for her talent to buy her cd in the first place

5.0 out of 5 stars The Diary of Alicia Keys, Dec 4 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: The Diary Of Alicia Keys (Audio CD)
I heard Alicia Keys's song If I Ain't Got You on the radio and was just amazed. When I found out that she played piano and wrote her own songs in addition to singing well, I just had to go get her CD. It was so worth my money. The best song on the CD is probably If I Ain't Got You but they are all awesome except for So Simple. It has a weird high pitched computer sounding voice on it that is really quite bizarre. But I think that this is an AWESOME CD.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love it..., July 10 2004
This review is from: The Diary Of Alicia Keys (Audio CD)
I am so, so tired of the pop culture -- so many times the ones who get credit for "great" songs write songs with materialistic, sexually-overblown and violent drug-influenced themes. That's why I was so happy that Alicia Keys released a second album -- it was like a saving grace from the destroyed pop culture. Her single "You Don't Know My Name" was what convinced me to buy the album; the total theme of the song is so sweet and the background music is BEAUTIFUL. When I heard the CD, I listed to practically the whole thing without skipping. I prayed and prayed that "If I Ain't Got You" wouldn't be released as her second single (I hate when really good songs are made into singles, because they are hot and get SO played out), but I knew it would be because the song is so beautiful and talks about deep, meaningful themes. Not only does Keys appreciate the edgy, funky style of the '60s and '70s -- and generously incorporates it into her music; the style is very apparent on this album -- but she also knows that she doesn't have to buy into this sex-crazed world to make real music. None of Keys' songs come off as sleazy or contrived. Although the songs really don't seem to document her life much, I think "The Diary..." is an appropriate title because it exhibits her personal style, giving you more insight into the *kind* of person she is. Best hits -- "Heartburn" (don't let the Timbaland fool you, this song is a funk throwback), "You Don't Know My Name" (even the talking interlude in the middle is sultry and drawing), "If I Ain't Got You" (beautiful), "Dragon Days" (wonderful, funky tune, and an odd likeness), "Wake Up" (very sixties!), "So Simple"

5.0 out of 5 stars This CD is a strong sophomore effort, July 8 2004
Robert G Yokoyama (Mililani, Hawaii) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Diary Of Alicia Keys (Audio CD)
Grammy Award Winner Alicia Keys is back with a strong sophomore effort. I love the way she phrases the lyrics in her songs. She sings about the different aspects of being in love so well. Her voice is smooth, sexy and soulful. My favorite song on this album is You Don't Know My Name, because I like the idea of a woman making the first move on a man she really likes.
I love the way Alicia sings the track Heartburn. This song has a lot of energy, and it made me want to move around and dance. Diary is another stand out track in my opinion. It is a great song about having someone in your life who you can trust to tell your secrets and is loyal to you.
I also loved the song If I Aint Got You. I think this song is a reminder that material things don't really bring you lasting satisfaction and The only thing that matters in life is having someone to love. Slow Down is an excellent song about trying to slow down in a relationship and getting to know the person you are attracted to. I really enjoyed listening Diary of Alicia Keys. She is a true talent who will be around for many years.

5.0 out of 5 stars This music keeps my heart beating., July 7 2004
M. Stark (Edmonton, Alberta) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Diary Of Alicia Keys (Audio CD)
Without my regular dose of Alicia keys this world becomes a bleaker place. Just trying to pay the bills with a meaningless job and not getting pulled in by the current, with the dehumanizing waves of the masses that reek of mediocrity and unfulfilled dreams, life can be a struggle just to stay afloat. Just blink your eyes and a decade passes, and you are that much closer to your own mortality. And nothing has really changed.
So it is exciting when a talent like Keys comes along and shines so bright that she leaves her competition huddled in a quivering mess. I am not going to disparage artists like Norah Jones, Diana Krall, and Erykah Badu, who are puting out quality music and far superior to the pop-vomit-cult of Brittany Spears and friends, but they are not on the same level as Alicia Keys. Keys is in a class of her own, perhaps a modern day Sappho.
Listen to one of her greatest creations to date, the soulful ballad "If I Ain't Got You," and feel the pain of this great Soul as she shares her romantic yearnings; the lyrics are simple, certainly no Shakespearean sonnet, but, like the Greek tragedies of Sophocles, simple and potent. When her fingers start tickling the ivories at the beginning you know you're in for a treat. Watch her videos as well; quite simply they are mini-movie masterpieces. (Who is directing/writing these Alicia?) There are nice little details in them that add to the richness of the presentation and make it more cinematic: notice the lady reading "Think and Grow Rich" in the heartfelt song "You Don't Know My Name," a little side comment on the materialism of this world which contrasts nicely with the main love fantasy of Alicia's character.
Everything with the Keys stamp represents high production values and exudes quality. This album is a sensational follow up to her debut effort and showcases her considerable skills (and considerable beauty). Many of her songs are a paragon of compositional brilliance that compare favourably with the structural integrity and virtuosity of some of Bach's fugues. She's that good! Her music inspires me to take my work to the next level and to create stories of real value.
Keys combines classical elements with R&B and Jazz to create truly original and inspiring works of art, and for this I am extremely grateful. Artistry of this calibre is rare and much of the work of her contemporaries is now obsolete. Who would willingly settle for second-rate or an imitation when the real thing is available? Please, buy the album, see her in concert, and don't rip off the songs online. When great artists come along we have to encourage them in every way possible.
My only wish, Alicia, is for you to keep doing what you're doing. I know you're an intelligent lady but please stay away from those that are disingenuous. You're a musical genius and you're helping to make the lives of a great many people more bearable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Quite a Diary...but Great Nonetheless, June 30 2004
This review is from: The Diary Of Alicia Keys (Audio CD)
We all know Alicia Keys. We all heard "Fallin'" on the radio 93853 times. We all saw her win as many grammys that year. Under such conditions, it would be hard to make a solid sophomore effort. Somehow though, she did it. Keeping her beautiful piano playing and love of old school soul and r&b, Alicia has otherwise grown. There are less piano ballads and more slow-tempo grooves. Her singing ability has improved. Her emotive vocal power is at it's highest on "If I Ain't Got You" and attitude comes pouring through in her lyrics over the thump of "Karma." Her lyrics have become more inventive. She is playful on the funk sounds of "Heartburn" and paints a picture of medieval sexual longing in the wordplay of "Dragon Days." The sound of 60's motown pervades on "Wake Up," 70's funk on "Dragon Days," and a current R&B sound on "So Simple" and "Diary." All meld together perfectly. OK, she probably didn't need to remake a Gladys Knight song (no one will ever outsing or out emote that un-aging diva) especially by throwing "Walk on by" over it, but she holds her own. I say that this album is not quite a diary because it doesn't feel like she's really telling us anything about herself. As long as she keeps making high-quality and inventive music, I think she can stay as elusive as she likes.

1.0 out of 5 stars Get Ashanti, Not Alicia, Got A Problem thuggish_4u@yahoo.com, June 19 2004
'Neal "Big Neallie" (Bay Springs, MS USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Diary Of Alicia Keys (Audio CD)
Oh My god this drunk sounding lady got a 4 and Ashanti's CD Chapter II only got a 3 What is wrong with you people? You guys need to wake up. I am not feeling Alicia Keys at all. Here's my review....
Harlem's Nocturne- Oh god I don't wanna hear no damn piano. 0
Karma- I don't even know what a Karma is. 0
Heartburn- This is the only fast upbeat song she got on here and it doesn't even make since, why would she get heartburn because of a boy. But this is bout the only one I like besides Diary.-3
If I Was Your Woman/Walk on By- He ain't your man, leave him alone. With that funky voice.
You Don't Know My Name- Tell the boy ya name and get it over with.-0
If I Ain't Got You- Oh my god, here go another stupid single. 0 and less
Diary- Bout the only song on here that makes since, and it gets so stupid at the end.-2
Dragon Days- Song has no meaning its ignorant.-0
Wake Up- Listen to this song please, and wake up so you can realize that Alicia Keys songs are whacked.-0
So Simple- So Stupid, should have been the name.-0
When You Really Love Someone- Put me in the mind of her other stupid a** song.-0
Feeling U, Feeling Me (Interlude)- I'm not feeling this, u hear more melody than vocals.-0
Slow Down- Stupid-0
Samsonite Man- I don't even know what that word is, I looked it up in the dictionary, but I couldn't find it.-0
Nobody Not Really (Interlude)- Ur right Alicia, u and your horrible song are nobody.-0

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW! what more can i say?, June 17 2004
scott-E (Christchurch, New Zealand) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Diary Of Alicia Keys (Audio CD)
WOW. I went out and brought this c.d. today and I can say that I DEFINATLEY DO NOT REGRET spending 20-some dollars on it. I got it on the strength of two singles: If I Ain't Got You and Diary. The first made me sit up and thank god that rnb is back. This song is amazing. I like the way her voice almost breaks in the chorus thru the anguish she endures "Some people want it all/But i dont want nothing at all/If I ain't got you". The second song, Diary, just blew me away when i first heard it. Its one of those songs that give u goosebumps when you first hear it, like "U Make Me Wanna" by Usher or "Never Let me Down" form Kanye West. The Song is PHENOMINAL! I hope it gets all the success it deserves. And with Tony!Toni!Tone! guesting on it, it makes the second half of the song even better.
The real major difference from Songs In A Minor is that it sounds more fluid. There is far less stop/start piano work than in songs like "Fallin'", and heavy 'duhhhhhh da da duhhh' like in "A Woman's Worth". It has way greater production and her voice, oh, itz unbeliveable. Way richer, way more emotive, it sounds like shes expressing the words rather than jus saying them.
Unlike other rnb c.d.'s that have come out of late, (Beyonce, Ashanti, and whatnot) this is one of those c.d.'s that u have to LISTEN to, not jus HEAR. Go out and buy it, money unregretably spent.

5.0 out of 5 stars No sophmore jitters, even better than her first!!!, June 16 2004
This review is from: The Diary Of Alicia Keys (Audio CD)
HARLEM'S NOCTURNE: This is just an interlude, so really it can't be rated like a song but Alicia's piano skills on this track rock, so I'm gonna start with a 9/10
KARMA: This song really rocks, although the main genre of the song is R&B hip hop, it almost has a rock edge to it. One of my favorites songs on the disc, I give this 10/10!
HEARTBURN: One song on this cd I'm not nuts about. The beat is a little weird and the song just doesn't give Alicia's amazing piano skills and strong flawless voice a lot of justice. I give it 7-8/10?
IF I WERE YOUR WOMAN: Awesome song, the first song on this disc I really fell in love with. Her vocals are great, I like this one better than the original song...def' 10/10!
YOU DON'T KNOW MY NAME: It's like as the cd plays, you can feel Alicia growing, and this song begins the transformation. It's a song that makes adults feel alright for falling head over heels in love with someone and admiring from afar. Plus her vocals are really stunning, as always. 10/10...
IF I AIN'T GOT YOU: Omg, this song is sooo great it's Alicia all the way! While I was listening to this disc, I kept wishing that a great romantic R&B ballad with breezy but defined vocals, would play, and my wish came true! What a GREAT, beautiful song!!! 10/10.
DIARY: Another great song, you will love this song if you liked Songs In a Minor. 9/10
DRAGON DAYS: I love this song, very funky, and sexy and fun, one of my faves on the album. It also has kind of a rock edge. 10/10
WAKE UP: Great song, but pretty much like everything Alicia has sung. But still, one of my faves. 9/10
SO SIMPLE: Love, love, love this song! Cool, different and funky, and the lyrics are catchy, as is the tune. 10/10
WHEN YOU REALLY LOVE SOMEONE: I love this song, the vocals are very sultry and the lyrics remind me a classic Motown love song. 10/10, you rock Alicia.
FEELING U, FEELING ME: Although this is just an interlude, it still rocks. Really cool keyboard, and Alicia sounds very sensual. 9/10
SLOW DOWN: All around, good track, but same as Wake Up, nothing really extraordinary, I don't really listen to this one very often. 8 -9/10
SAMSONITE MAN: I love this track, it has a great beat and catchy lyrics. 9/10
NOBODY NOT REALLY: Even though it's just an interlude, it's a great way to end a great disc. 9/10
Over all, this CD earns a 10/10, mostly because she doesn't stray from her style, but still explores into different territory, I can't wait for her next disc! It's not like Janet Jackson's JANET, which is so stuffed full of little snippet interludes, and whispers, it just gets annoying quick. This CD has NO filler, it's all raw and fabulous. Alicia didn't slack on her sophomore album, although she's already built herself a fan base. Go buy this CD, if you're not a fan of Alicia already, you will be!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great CD!!, June 9 2004
Valerie A. Harris (Memphis, TN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Diary Of Alicia Keys (Audio CD)
I got the CD a few weeks ago, and i listen to it almost everyday. This new albunm is different in some ways from the last. In my opinion, the first cd features more piano leads, however, many of the songs on this album have the piano in the background and focus more on her lyrics and voice. I have to admit that i thought she would flop, like the rest, but she has proven that she is a "real" artist with talent and doesnt plan to leave any time soon. I would love to give her 5 stars, but some stuff i did not like. Here are my ratings for each song..
1.Intro- nice tune, gets you excited about the cd. 10/10
2-Karma- kinda serious song, great to listen to if you have problems with your boyfriend or somthin : ) 9/10
3-Heartburn- Really dont like this song, but the opening beat is so catchy that i end up listening to it anyway. 7/10
4-If i was your woman- Hot mess!! but you can listen to it if you dont feel like skipping to the next song! Its so bad that i listen to it and laugh. 6/10
5-U dont know my name- radio song, nuff said. 9/10
6- If I aint got you- Tired of hearing it, but hte piano is so pretty that i listen anyway. 9/10
7-Diary- One of my favorites, it made me buy the cd. it has a slow kind of sensual feel to it. 9.5/10
8-Dragon Days- before i heard the song, i was like "what?", but its another of my favorites, has a kind of upbeat tempo. 9/10
9- Wake Up- Ok song, not one of my favorites. 7/10
10-So Simple- my favorite song on the album, its unlike anything she has done before and the beat is catchy. shows that she can do a variety of song styles. 10/10
11-When you really love someone- ok song, i like the lyrics better than the actual music, but i still like it. 8/10
12-Feeling u, Feeling me- nice interlude, very slow and sexy. 9/10
13-Slow Down- My second favorite song on the album, i really like the music on this song. 10/10
14- Samsonite man- not a favorite but its better when you actually listen to the lyrics. the melody reminds me of Erykah Badu's "watcha gonna do when they come 4 u" 8/10
15-Nobody not really- never listened to the whole song. maybee next time.
I connect with a song if the lyrics apply to my life in some kind of way. Of course these are just my opinions and you may like the opposite of what i liked. Nevertheless, I strongly recomend that you get it, it has a few suckie songs, but the good songs make up for it. you rarely get an album that you like from beggining to end anyway. this is as good as it gets for right now.(...)

The Diary Of Alicia Keys
The Diary Of Alicia Keys by Alicia Keys (Audio CD - 2003)