5.0 out of 5 stars NO contest
Published on Nov. 18 2004 by Meghan

3.0 out of 5 stars About what I expected
First off, I wasn't amazed by her last album. So I came into this one with lower expectations than most people. And once again, Alicia gives us a slightly above average. But nothing great - nothing up to the level of her talent. She continues to underwhelm. We are still waiting for that breakout album.
Published on July 11 2004 by David Wilson

5.0 out of 5 stars NO contest, Nov. 18 2004
Meghan (Calgary, AB) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Diary Of Alicia Keys (Audio CD)
hands down to alicia keys again.. some artists are fake like britney spears.. actually i can't even rate alicia keys in the same catagory as her because britney spears could never compare to alicia keys.. not only is she beautiful but she has the true talent to back it up... have you heard her sing live?? well i haven't but you can sure as hell believe i would be first one in line to buy her tickets if she ever came to calgary.. listen to her music.. listen to her words and you'll understand why alicia keys has so much hype surrounding her.. like she said.. watch her when she's 31.. 41... and 51 she'll still be around.. this woman is so talented.. writes her own music, own lyrics.. plays the piano and sings at the same time.. unsurpassed.. if you're debating whether or not to buy her album.. you're a fool.. and don't buy it.. because if you have to debate.. you don't have enough love for her talent to buy her cd in the first place

5.0 out of 5 stars The Diary of Alicia Keys, Dec 4 2004
This review is from: The Diary Of Alicia Keys (Audio CD)
I heard Alicia Keys's song If I Ain't Got You on the radio and was just amazed. When I found out that she played piano and wrote her own songs in addition to singing well, I just had to go get her CD. It was so worth my money. The best song on the CD is probably If I Ain't Got You but they are all awesome except for So Simple. It has a weird high pitched computer sounding voice on it that is really quite bizarre. But I think that this is an AWESOME CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Go 'head girl!, Dec 5 2003
I admit, I was one of the people who was calling Alicia "overrated!" after she received all the hype for her debut, SONGS IN 'A' MINOR. I thought it was overhyped and overrarted, and I still do. But she surely made a fan out of me with this album. When I first heard 'You Don't Know My Name' I was in love. I wasn't too sure about buying the album b/c I didn't want to be duped again, but I did it and I'm very glad I did because you can tell she had more creative reign on this album, and she is coming into her own. Every song on a scale of 1-10:
1.Harlem's Nocturne [Intro] - 10 (Great intro,even the name of it is beautiful.)
2.Karma-9 (This song has a phat beat with gorgeous strings in the background. It's a club banger which is something I am not used to hearing from her)
3.Heartburn-10 (This Timbaland produced track is definitely one of the highlights of the album. It is very old school, it reminds you of the Supremes and the lyrics are great)
4.If I Were Your Woman/Walk On By- 9 (At first I did not like this one because it was not as good as the original, but after listening a few times you can see she puts her own stamp on it and it turns into a nice club joint)
5.You Don't Know My Name - 10 (The first single, the thing that made me buy the album. Not much to say except it is a beautiful love song)
6.If I Ain't Got You- 10 (This is a fiery blues joint. Alicia's iano playing is great on this, and this is probably her best vocal performance ever)
7.Diary-10 (Probably my favorite track on the album. The melody is gorgeous and the vocals are so seductive)
8.Dragon Days-9 (This is another track that took a while to get used to. I thought it was wierd at first but now I love it. It's very funky)
9.Wake Up-10 (This is a Motown style song through and through. The beackground vocals are very nice on this. You can tell how influenced she was by that period)
10.So Simple-8 (This song is pretty good. I like the voice distortion, it's very Kanye-esque. It's a nice listen, but nothing too special.)
11.When You Really Love Someone-10 (This is classic Alicia doing the sound that made her. Excellent song, nice lyrics.)
12.Feelin' Me, Feelin' You-8 (This is a nice interlude. I love how her interludes are music and not silly convos.)
13.Slow Down-6 (This is my least favorite song on the album. It sounds like a Mary J. Blige throwaway. Why this was included I don't know.)
14.Samsonite Man-9 (This is a pretty mellow song. Good lyrics about a man who is a rolling stone)
15.Nobody Not Really-10 (Why oh why wasn't this a whole song?!? It is so beautiful, it is reminiscent of Marvin Gaye. Alicia definitely needs to do more of this music on her next album which I am already looking forward to.)
So there you have it. An excellent album that I was *quite* surprised with, and I look forward to hearing the next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars one of the better albums of today's modern music, July 17 2004
This review is from: The Diary Of Alicia Keys (Audio CD)
alicia keys is one of the more talented young artists of today with her melodic piano hooks, velvet-smooth voice and deep lyrics. She has really grown as a writer, pianist and artist overall on this CD and gives you that feeling old school motown music gives you with it's live instrumentation and soulful vocals. Standout tracks are Heartburn, If I was Your Woman, You Don't Know My Name, Diary, So Simple etc. This was what r&b music was about and should be about, buy immediately!

4.0 out of 5 stars alicia keys, July 15 2004
This review is from: The Diary Of Alicia Keys (Audio CD)
I thought this cd was great! All of the songs were put together perfectly. My favorite song is "If I aint got you." I think the lyrics are great. I actually just printed them out. The beat to this song is fabulous. I love how she uses her own experiences and puts them together to make this song. I think alicia keys has a great voice and I think she plays the pianno like no other person. Her pianno alone moved me. I taught my dance class a combination to this song. I was beautiful. I was very pleased with this cd. i hope she comes out with more cds just like this one. Thanks Alicia you're the best

5.0 out of 5 stars I highly recommend this CD!, July 13 2004
Kurt A. Johnson (North-Central Illinois, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Diary Of Alicia Keys (Audio CD)
This marvelous album is the work of the great Alicia Keys. Jazzy, this album features some great instrumentation, which was masterfully mixed. Plus, the best part is simply Ms. Keys wonderful voice. I must admit that this is the first of her albums I have heard, so I cannot compare it to any of the others. But, unlike some reviewers, I found this to be a great album, one that I love listening to over and over again!
So, if you like great music, with that smooth jazz sound, then you will love this album - I did! My favorite track was the first, Harlem's Nocturne, but they are all good. I highly recommend this CD!

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing album, July 13 2004
By A Customer
yeah so some people say her music is outdated, but the last time I checked, many of the songs that were motown material in the 60's and 70's sound timeless and sound fresh even today, so Alicia is taking the right approach with her music and the quality will last for years and years. Songs in A Minor was all about Alicia's musical interests, but Diary is about the artist. There are beautiful piano hooks, lush melodies and catchy fast and slow rhythms on this CD, and Alicia establishes herself as a goos singer and songwriter. This CD is definitely one of the very few CD's from the newer generation of artists I could enjoy because the sound is timeless with hints of modern music input.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thank You Alecia, July 12 2004
michael johnson "Tha Music Master" (Jacksonville, Florida) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Diary Of Alicia Keys (Audio CD)
In a world where many female artist seem to think that over the top sexuality and vulgarity are instant keys to success Alecia is a welcomed exception. Alecia, who is both beautiful and talented, has proven that talent can rise above booty shaking. Man this girl's ability to write, play and sing blows my mind. The music here is remeniscent of the oldschool vibe but contemporary enough to keep the hip hop crowd happy. Alicia isn't isn't quite in the league of soul legends like Aretha, Patti, or Gladys. Her unspecatular rendition Knight's "If I Were Your Woman" proves that. Given time, however, Keys will become one of the greats. Aspiring young singers should take lessons from Alicia....real talent can take you to the top too.

3.0 out of 5 stars About what I expected, July 11 2004
David Wilson (Dallas, TX USA) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Love it..., July 11 2004
This review is from: The Diary Of Alicia Keys (Audio CD)
I am so, so tired of the pop culture -- so many times the ones who get credit for "great" songs write songs with materialistic, sexually-overblown and violent drug-influenced themes. That's why I was so happy that Alicia Keys released a second album -- it was like a saving grace from the destroyed pop culture. Her single "You Don't Know My Name" was what convinced me to buy the album; the total theme of the song is so sweet and the background music is BEAUTIFUL. When I heard the CD, I listed to practically the whole thing without skipping. I prayed and prayed that "If I Ain't Got You" wouldn't be released as her second single (I hate when really good songs are made into singles, because they are hot and get SO played out), but I knew it would be because the song is so beautiful and talks about deep, meaningful themes. Not only does Keys appreciate the edgy, funky style of the '60s and '70s -- and generously incorporates it into her music; the style is very apparent on this album -- but she also knows that she doesn't have to buy into this sex-crazed world to make real music. None of Keys' songs come off as sleazy or contrived. Although the songs really don't seem to document her life much, I think "The Diary..." is an appropriate title because it exhibits her personal style, giving you more insight into the *kind* of person she is. Best hits -- "Heartburn" (don't let the Timbaland fool you, this song is a funk throwback), "You Don't Know My Name" (even the talking interlude in the middle is sultry and drawing), "If I Ain't Got You" (beautiful), "Dragon Days" (wonderful, funky tune, and an odd likeness), "Wake Up" (very sixties!), "So Simple"

The Diary Of Alicia Keys
The Diary Of Alicia Keys by Alicia Keys (Audio CD - 2003)
Click for more info