4.0 out of 5 stars Nice to have
The only thing that I did not realize about this soundtrack is that it is not the actual songs of that era. They are newer versions with recent artists. I would have prefered the original oldies.
Published 16 months ago by Amy Nickerson

3.0 out of 5 stars too short
This movie music is great, but it's too bad they didn't include all the songs/cuts on this CD. This CD only has less than half of the music from the movie soundtrack, and I don't think they picked the best 12.
Published on Dec 29 2003

1.0 out of 5 stars Over-Hyped Drivel, Jan. 20 2004
This review is from: Mona Lisa Smile Music From Th (Audio CD)
I like many of the artists on this album, particularly Tori Amos and Alison Krauss, but this is as mediocre an album as the movie's star, Julia Roberts, is an actress. Other than Barbara Streisand none of these artists have any feel or understanding of the material.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mona Lisas And Mad Hatters, Jan. 19 2004
Michael King "Mike" (Taunton, MA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mona Lisa Smile Music From Th (Audio CD)
This soundtrack is a very classy collection of standards, without a single clunker. It also has the added bonus of an outstanding new song. "The Heart Of Every Girl" is one of the most romantic songs ever written by Elton John and Bernie Taupin. The arrangement, featuring lush strings and brass, perfectly compliments Elton's piano. Elton's voice has deepened with time, and his singing and piano playing have never sounded stronger or more assured.
The musical arrangement and Seal's vocals on the song "Mona Lisa" sound so similar to Nat King Cole's original that its scary. Chris Isaak croons a passionate rendition of "Besame Mucho," making this cheesy standard sound sophisticated. Tori Amos particularly impressed me, turning in two great performances. Her vocals on the ballad "You Belong To Me" are perfectly understated, while she playfully sings the bouncy "Murder He Says." After listening to this soundtrack, I would urge Tori Amos to record a whole album of standards.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent soundtrack!, Jan. 7 2004
Andy Tan (Philadelphia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mona Lisa Smile Music From Th (Audio CD)
I was actually pleasantly surprised by this soundtrack.
At first glance, the unusual suspects on the this soundtrack singing these classics may turn some people off. For instance, pop artistes such as Macy Gray, Mandy Moore and Celine Dion.
However, once you start listening, the magic of this recording unfolds. Most impressive was Mandy Moore's Secret Love. I'm not a great fan of teen pop but I was certainly very impressed by her rendition of this song - gentle, even and comes across as musical-esque.
The rest of the soundtrack is equally amazing. Celine Dion's Bewitched was flawless and Seal's Mona Lisa had a really nice 50s jazzy tone to it.
It's a pity though that some of the songs in the movie were left out in this soundtrack.
Take care of you

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Covers of '50 songs, Jan. 4 2004
crazyforgems (Wellesley, MA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mona Lisa Smile Music From Th (Audio CD)
What a CD! It's so much better than the movie. You definitely do not have to see "Mona Lisa Smile" to enjoy these covers of '50 songs.
For the movie, a number of contemporary artists covered '50's songs. The beauty of this CD lies in hearing one great interpretation of a classic after another.
Some highlights:
Seal covered "Mona Lisa"--at first, you think it is Nat King Cole. Then you hear and appreciate the subtle differences.
Tori Amos (who appeared in the movie) covers both "You Belong To Me" and "Murder He Says." I was humming "Murder" all day. Her voice gets very deep and gravelly.
Celine Dion (whom I normally can't stand) sings "Bewitched." I didn't even recognize her voice when I heard it the first time and I was stunned when I read her name on the jacket. She should do an album dedicated to this era.
Macy Gray covers "Santa Baby." Now there are a lot of versions of "santa baby" out there-hers may not be the best but it is definitely very interesting.
I have only included a sample of the treats in this CD...I know it sounds cliche but if you only buy one CD (this week, this year etc) then make it this one.

3.0 out of 5 stars too short, Dec 29 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars Oldies But Goodies, Dec 29 2003
This review is from: Mona Lisa Smile Music From Th (Audio CD)
This is one CD that grows on you. After listening to it from beginning to end for the nth time, it just gets better and better. Every tune seems familiar yet fresh. Macy Gray did a very impressive rendition of "Santa Baby". Celine Dion, Elton John, and Barbara Streisand in one album, what more can you ask for? A classic indeed!

4.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting Flashback, Dec 24 2003
This review is from: Mona Lisa Smile Music From Th (Audio CD)
As a young woman born in the late 1970s, I can still find the beauty in this soundtrack, which contains various songs from the 1940s and 1950s performed by modern artists. All of the artists gathered for this CD seem to be channeling their musical counterparts from several decades back. All of the songs come together beautifully on this record; it has not left my CD player since I purchased it.
Highlights from this CD are: Seal's "Mona Lisa," in which his smooth crooning is comparable to Nat King Cole's; Tori Amos, who alters her voice in both songs she performs to sound just like she stepped out of the 1950s era (side note - she appears in the movie); and Elton John, Mandy Moore, Alison Kraus (always welcome), and Kelly Rowland all give wonderful performances.

5.0 out of 5 stars This music LIVES in our CD player!, Dec 16 2003
R. McLaughlin (Angelus Oaks, Ca) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mona Lisa Smile Music From Th (Audio CD)
AMAZING! There is not much I can say that has not been said, I buy maybe three CDs a year, and I am very finicky about what I buy. This is one to buy, believe me! It's like a breath of mountain air, it feels so needed!

5.0 out of 5 stars WONDERFUL!!!, Dec 15 2003
David A. Preiser "Mannequin Man" (Tacoma, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mona Lisa Smile Music From Th (Audio CD)
This Cd Is Wonderful!!! Seal Sings "Mona Lisa" Warm & Beautifully!! Celine Dion Does A Great Job With "Bewitched", Lisa Stansfield Once Again Is Fabulous As Is Alison Krauss!! But My Personal Two Favorites Are Chris Isaak's Gorgeous "Besame Mucho" & Barbra Streisand's Stunning Version Of "Smile"!!! This Trully A Fantastic Cd, I Hope The Movie Is As Great!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding!, Dec 14 2003
J. Henry "j-nee" (Seattle, WA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mona Lisa Smile Music From Th (Audio CD)
I took a chance buying this CD without first listening to it. It was on sale, I was in a hurry...and it looked like it was going to be a good soundtrack. Well, it's far exceded my expectations! While you may look at the list of songs and think "this is my parents' (or grandparents') music," don't overlook this gem of a CD. It's today's artists who, while honoring the original renditions, add their own touch to these musical treasures. Team this CD with the "Love Actually" soundtrack and you've got a perfect holiday gift for a loved one...or yourself!

Mona Lisa Smile Music From Th
Mona Lisa Smile Music From Th by Rachel Portman (Audio CD - 2006)